The Education Forum

CIA Leak Case: Wilson Plame Affair

Shanet Clark

The Plame Wilson affair is still percolating.

It tells us so much about the Vice President's office

and their efforts to stand behind any PRETEXT for War in Iraq.

The yellowcake, the Niger, the aluminum tubes, the vats, none of it was REAL.

They got on Television and in front of the United Nations and

told a bunch of BIG FAT LIES...........

When Joseph Wilson had the brains to say that the papers were shoddy forgeries,

unrelated to things on the ground in Africa, Libby was given specific instructions

and classified materials

to slime Wilson and endanger his wife......and he lied about when interrogated by the special prosecutor.

Libby says he found out she was a CIA agent from the news hacks like Tim Russert,

when in fact DEAD EYE DICK CHENEY told him the story and what to do with it...............

That much is obvious, Cheney pushed Libby to out the undercover agent ........

Shanet, while you could be right, there are other plausible scenarios. Cheney could have been venting to Libby "that bastard Wilson is trying to make us look bad... screw him... he only got to go to Niger because his wife put in a good word for him..." To which Libby responded "his wife put in a good word? How does that work?" To which Cheney replied "She's an agent! She works for the CIA! She's the one who got him the gig!" To which Scooter responded "Well, I'll be... don't you think we should let our friends in the media know what a weak sister this guy is... that he has to rely on his WIFE to get him jobs?" To which Cheney responded "Good point. Get on that!"

I think it's quite likely that in their zeal to make Wilson look weak, they overlooked the fact that Wilson's wife was an UNDERCOVER CIA agent, and that outing her would be breaking the law. Perhaps they did think about it and decided that it wasn't breaking the law if they merely said his wife without using her name. Which brings me to a question of my own... Has it been established how members of the media figured out her name? Were they merely told "his wife" and then did some homework? Or have any of them testified that they were specifically told her name? Last I checked they'd only fingered Rove and Libby for saying "his wife". Maybe this is the detail upon which the whole case will turn. But not for Scoot--he lied; Fitzgerald can prove it, he's going down.

Guest John Gillespie

"Perhaps, maybe, you could be right, I dunno." Right. Got it, Pat.

A response to a previous posting:

"Jim Hougan in Secret Agenda dismisses Felt as a possible Deep Throat for much the same reason. t... I think what has been missed is that, according to Woodstein, Deep Throat rarely provided information; he mostly confirmed information that they'd already uncovered. And even this was done in vague terms, sometimes so vague he was misunderstood. Remember the screw-up regarding Haldeman's pre-knowledge? That almost got Woodstein pulled off the case." Pat Speer

Alas and alack...I really didn't want to take the time to address the misinformation in the above paragraph (God, this sort of thing gets so tedious. Some of you folks really ought to think a bit more clearly and still keep things to yourselves). But on behalf of the poor, vulnerable, innocent, unsuspecting, uninitiated, unwashed - those who come here to perform the occasional sorting-out - I'll do two things: ( 1.) correct the errors, including those that are factual, grammatical and syntactical; (2.) urge anyone who reads these missives (including my own) to believe not a scintilla. Instead, try to do some honest and thorough research, all the while cognizant of the practice(s) of disinformation, the afore-mentioned misinformation and that ol' standby… buffoonery. This site, though a unique and often delightful oasis, has its dark and fetid zones. Often it has the look and feel of one of those horrid, clichéd business staff meetings, with people who apparently have LOTS of time of their hands and who are trying so very hard to appear knowledgeable and not fall behind the rest of the class.

“Since Deep Throat failed to tell Woodward about Baldwin, and Felt knew about Baldwin, Felt can't be Deep Throat.”

Whew. The circuitousness, pretzel-like path of that volley is reminiscent of WWI munitions, though we would have to consult our resident expert on those matters. First, referring to Deep Throat as an individual remains, to this day, presumptive and apparently, though not evidently, without merit. Sam Dash, on the old, lamented Larry King syndicated radio show was a guest with Fred Thompson as part of a Watergate anniversary broadcast in 1982. I remember clearly that Dash stated matter-of-factly that DT was a composite. King quickly reminded him that, if true, that would make Woodward guilty of the most egregious offense against journalism and he cited the noted criminal Janet Cook, formerly of The Post, who created much of what she wrote out of whole cloth. This revelatory statement by Dash never made the pages of said Post…Sam Dash on a national broadcast, for God’s sake! We cannot prove DT is a composite but the idea of him (if indeed a he) as one person certainly is not a given.

If we accept the notion that Mark Felt was NOT DT we cannot say it is because he failed to tell Woodward about Baldwin. By that logic, someone who was not DT also probably failed to tell Woodward he had something stuck in his teeth, for example. I understand what Pat thinks he’s getting at but puhleeeeze.

• 4 months later...

According to a report in this week’s National Journal, the special prosecutor, Patrick Fitzgerald, who is leading the investigation into the outing of the CIA agent, Valerie Plame, has discovered that George Bush directed Dick Cheney to take personal charge of a campaign to discredit former ambassador Joe Wilson. Bush apparently told Fitzgerald this during an interview in the Oval Office on 24th July 2004. Bush also admitted to Fitzgerald that he directed Cheney to disclose classified information to discredit Wilson. However, Bush claims he did not know anything about Cheney ordering Lewis “Scooter” Libby to covertly leak this classified information about Valerie Plame.

Is this headline news in the United States? If not, why not?

According to a report in this week’s National Journal, the special prosecutor, Patrick Fitzgerald, who is leading the investigation into the outing of the CIA agent, Valerie Plame, has discovered that George Bush directed Dick Cheney to take personal charge of a campaign to discredit former ambassador Joe Wilson. Bush apparently told Fitzgerald this during an interview in the Oval Office on 24th July 2004. Bush also admitted to Fitzgerald that he directed Cheney to disclose classified information to discredit Wilson. However, Bush claims he did not know anything about Cheney ordering Lewis “Scooter” Libby to covertly leak this classified information about Valerie Plame.

Is this headline news in the United States? If not, why not?

John:

Astounding, but predictable. It's not in the news here. I will look online after court.

And you KNOW why it's not "headline" news inthe US. :rolleyes:

Dawn

George Bush directed Dick Cheney to take personal charge of a campaign to discredit former ambassador Joe Wilson. Bush apparently told Fitzgerald this during an interview in the Oval Office on 24th July 2004. Bush also admitted to Fitzgerald that he directed Cheney to disclose classified information to discredit Wilson.

Are there any updates or follow-ups over there, John? (Apparently here in the land of the free we need to appeal to Great Britain, now, to find out what we are doing. Those who will not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.)

Ashton Gray

[quote name='Peter Lemkin' date='Jul 9 2006, 10:02 AM' post='67685']

if not, why not...indeed....can you say:"controlled media"? Things like that only get out on things like www.democacynow.org [they covered it..but they are the alternative media which is ignored by and unknown to most all in the Empire]. Bush said he would 'get to the bottom of this' and 'get rid of anyone involved in illegal leaks', so maybe he will fire himself or do the honorable thing and commit suicide on national TV. His last two years as a 'lame duck' will be [you heard it here!] a nightmare of-war, death, destruction, looting of the American and World money and resources, dimunition of democracy, new 9-11-style smoke-and mirror-inside-job-Reichstag-fire-like horrors, lies, deceptions and worse - making the first six years of horror pale. The worst President ever - despite being the 'kind of guy many might want to invite to their next barbeque' The man should be impeached and belongs in jail - although this is one of the least of his multitude 'sins' against humanity, democracy, law. He is not the real power behind the throne anyway. Those in the entire structure behind him all belong in jail. The very fact there is no real movement in that direction shows the depravity and moral abyss in America today. America is so very lost and I don't expect it to find its way anytime soon....the way things are going, perhaps never. Farewell my beloved country.

I've been saying the exact thing to my husband for sometime now. Carl O thinks it's too late also. I think we MUST fight back in any and all ways we can. Thank god for alt. media.

Dawn

Are there any updates or follow-ups over there, John? (Apparently here in the land of the free we need to appeal to Great Britain, now, to find out what we are doing. Those who will not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.)

I will keep a look out in the UK media. However, it is usually only the Guardian that reports these stories. The BBC tends to leave these stories alone. They have been quietened by Blair’s threats to cut their budget.

Do you know anything about Philip Anschutz? He is a very unpleasant American businessman who has been causing problems for Tony Blair.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7308

In 2002 Anschutz came close to being arrested and tried for selling $1.57 billion worth of stock in the Qwest Corporation, months before its share price collapsed. It resulted in him paying $4.4m to Eliot Spitzer, the New York attorney-general, to keep himself out of prison. He is now using some of this money to corrupt members of the UK government.