The Education Forum

"Running Man"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be another way of looking at it.

McLendon, a conservative Democrat, lost the primary election against incumbent US Senator Ralph Yarborough in 1964.

Well done Lee. See also latest post in CUSA thread.

Saw it Greg -Was the Dallas Republican Bank located in Oak Cliff? Any chance we might be able to determine who else may have worked there?

- lee

McLendon, a conservative Democrat, lost the primary election against incumbent US Senator Ralph Yarborough in 1964.

Saw it Greg -Was the Dallas Republican Bank located in Oak Cliff? Any chance we might be able to determine who else may have worked there?

- lee

Lee, the address up to 1964 was 300 N Ervay. It was known then as the Republic Bank Building. From '64 it became known as the Republic Bank Plaza with the address changing to 325 N St Paul. The address change was only due to a different entrace - same building.

As for who else worked for the bank itself... still working on it. However, George DeM had his office in the building, as did George McGhee. McGhee, an oilman, held many senior positions within government during the bulk of the Cold War, having input into a great deal of foriegn policy, and had been ONI during WWII. During the Kennedy years, he was Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs. Needless to say, he had a close relationship with LBJ.

- lee

Lee, the address up to 1964 was 300 N Ervay. It was known then as the Republic Bank Building. From '64 it became known as the Republic Bank Plaza with the address changing to 325 N St Paul. The address change was only due to a different entrace - same building.

As for who else worked for the bank itself... still working on it. However, George DeM had his office in the building, as did George McGhee. McGhee, an oilman, held many senior positions within government during the bulk of the Cold War, having input into a great deal of foriegn policy, and had been ONI during WWII. During the Kennedy years, he was Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs. Needless to say, he had a close relationship with LBJ.

Thanks Greg - I was looking for a different name. Mrs. Worrel would have been nice - since her son ran to her office on Ervay. George Dem is interesting to be sure.

Do you have anything at all on James Stuart Martin? He would have worked in a bank in Oak Cliff.

BTW - would you mind dropping me an email so I have your address?

- lee

Thanks Greg - I was looking for a different name. Mrs. Worrel would have been nice - since her son ran to her office on Ervay. George Dem is interesting to be sure.

Haven't been able to verify that Martha Worrell worked in the bank, but have found out that the VP was Lee Drain - brother of Vince, the deliverer of Oswald evidence to Washington. Vince died last month. Lee is still alive.

Do you have anything at all on James Stuart Martin? He would have worked in a bank in Oak Cliff.

Sorry Lee. Can't help there.[/color]

- lee

Haven't been able to verify that Martha Worrell worked in the bank, but have found out that the VP was Lee Drain - brother of Vince, the deliverer of Oswald evidence to Washington. Vince died last month. Lee is still alive.

Amazing Greg.

Vince Drain's interview was what made me realize the frangible round scenario was probable. 2 Instances where hair is mentioned as still being attached.

VINCENT E. DRAIN: "No More Silence" by Larry Sneed (1998), pp. 245-262+photo---[p. 246] "When I arrived in the trauma room, the doctors were working with President Kennedy. They were trying to do what they could to stop the gurgling sound he was making by performing a tracheotomy on him. Despite the fact, as I later learned, that he was dead, his body reflexes were still working. I wasn't up close to the body, but I could still see fairly well the large amount of blood from the head wound. The head was badly damaged from the lower right base across the top extending across the top of the ear. It appeared to me as though the bullet traveled upward and had taken off the right portion of his skull. It may have been the security officer or one of the other officers who gave me a portion of the skull which was about the size of a teacup, much larger than a silver dollar. Apparently the explosion had jerked it because the hair was still on it.

His Obit:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...on1.495f67.html

Anyway - I guess we're off topic here.

- lee

• 5 months later...

Sorry Lee. Can't help there.

- lee

Martha Worrell worked in a department (clothing) store. If needed, I'll try to get the particulars in the next couple of weeks ...?

Edited by Duke Lane

Duke - you're the man. It would be great to know a few things.

Just in case you haven't already considered any of these - most likely you have.

1. What was the location of the Department store on Ervay.

2. Where would the bus stop have been located closest to the store.

2a. Why would James have run to Ervay if he was playing hooky? Wouldn't he be afraid his Mother might see him? It's lunchtime for crissakes.

3. Did she see James that day? Where was she during the assassination - did she go watch the motorcade?

4. Was her son in any way involved in any clubs or groups that she was aware of? Maybe hanging about that evening getting lectured about how the communists had to be shot out of office at Hunt's residence - okay don't ask that one. :blink: How about Dallas Bowling alleys and clubs for young-uns? Anyone he might have known, or a place he may have frequented around 500 N Beckley?

5. What time did he get home on 11/22 - and did he related anything at all about the assassination? Is it true he neglected to mention it, or even watch the news - until the following morning?

6. Didn't she know he was playing hooky for months?

7. How did he manage to get that job with the oil outfit?

8. Does she remember how he was dressed on 11/22? Does the description provided by Sam Pate match his clothing?

9. Any chance he may have suddenly had some money following the assassination?

10. Did he ever mention that he took a bus home from the plaza, but had to get off because it wasn't moving?

That's enough I guess - sorry if you captured some of these elsewhere and I missed them.

Edit

11. Does she have any photos that she would be willing to let you copy of James taken in 1963?

12. Why would he have taken a bus from her office to his school in Farmer's branch and hitchhiked home? Was there a bus from near her office which would have taken him to his school? How far was his school from home?

13. Does she remember him receiving any threats after the Warren Report was released, or even before then?

14. Does she have any reason to suspect foul play in his accidental death?

15. Does she think it may be possible that James was used - that perhaps he may have been the individual mistaken for Oswald that day on McWatter's bus?

16. Did she know that her son smoked so much that he wasn't even able to run a city block in 1963 without having to pause to catch his breath? Where did he get the money for cigarettes?

- lee

Edited by Lee Forman