The Education Forum

"Running Man"

I would be curious to get forum members opinions of the following.

The attachment below ran in the classified section of a Dallas newspaper on October 15, 1963. Could this be a contact code Oswald used when reaching out to someone like say, James Hosty? Or is this just something completely innocent?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

James

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The attachment below ran in the classified section of a Dallas newspaper on October 15, 1963. Could this be a contact code Oswald used when reaching out to someone like say, James Hosty? Or is this just something completely innocent?

Cheers,

James

--------------------------------

Anagrams for running man

running man mung ran inn rung mann in rung man inn rum ginn ann

rum ginn nan rug mann inn run manning urn manning run mann gin

urn mann gin run man ginn urn man ginn nun grim ann nun grim nan

nun gram inn nun mann rig nun arm ginn nun ram ginn nun man grin

nun man ring nu mann grin nu mann ring

Chairs,

GPH

Cheers,

James

Anagrams for running man

nun man ring nu mann grin nu mann ring

Chairs,

GPH

Could it be Newman from Seinfeld?

No, seriously. Lee was a common name for women back then; I'd bet this is a message from a woman to her husband who's run off.

If it was Oswald, maybe the "running" reference was to a gun runner. The "please, please" doesn't sound like a message between two men, however.

Edited by Pat Speer

No, seriously. Lee was a common name for women back then; I'd bet this is a message from a woman to her husband who's run off.

Or from a "desperate housewife" to a handsome jogger?

FWIW, Thomas

If it was Oswald, maybe the "running" reference was to a gun runner. The "please, please" doesn't sound like a message between two men, however.

Seriously (actually),

Maybe, just maybe, the words "please, please" are the critical part of the encrypted message (if indeed it is an encrypted message to the "Running man").

FWIW, Thomas

James,

I had first heard about this advertisement from the writings of T. Casey Brennan, who provided an explanation in one of his essays.

I did, in fact, shoot John Kennedy. The last six months of Lee's service record have been sealed;

if and when they can be released, they will show the trips to Yale with David Ferrie, and that he

was a staunch anti-communist, who believed we were planning an invasion of Cuba. In that

context, he felt he had the authority to make police reports on Dr. Earnshaw and David Ferrie.

He made such a report to Officer Tippit, and he expected me to follow through for him. Shortly

before the assassination, he placed an ad in a Dallas paper to the effect of "running man, contact

me" -- that was in regards my expected testimony to Tippit.

That's the only time I have ever seen it mentioned that I can recall.

- lee

Maybe it's phonetic. "Running" in Spanish is "corriendo." Sounds like "Curington" (gofer or running man for H.L. Hunt).

Or maybe Running Man refers to a real fast Walker.

From what I recall from a previous inquiry into this ad, it may have been a publicity stunt for a movie that was to be released at the time called The Running Man, though I have never verified this.

BK

Interesting Bill. There was a 1963 version of a film with the title Running Man. Released October 2, 1963 - which perhaps makes it less of a publicity stunt, and more of some kind of reference to the film. Seems that it was a UK produced film, done mainly in Gibraltar.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=108542

PLOT DESCRIPTION

Based upon a novel by Shelley Smith, The Running Man opens at the memorial service for Rex Black (Laurence Harvey), the owner of a small air transport company who is believed to have drowned in a recent glider accident. It soon turns out, however, that Black is very much alive; he faked his death as a means of getting back at the insurance company who denied an earlier claim because he was one day late in making his payment. He has enlisted the cooperation of his wife Stella (Lee Remick) in this scheme. While she waits for the insurance company to approve the claim, he disguises himself, assumes a new identity (that of Charles Erskine, a shoe salesman) and goes to wait for Stella in Spain. Once there, he meets drunken Australian millionaire Jim Jerome in a bar; when Jerome inadvertently leaves his passport at the bar, Rex confiscates it and hatches a new plan to collect on Jerome's insurance as well. In the meantime, Stella has met with insurance representative Stephen Maddox (Alan Bates), who eventually approves her claim. She journeys to Spain, but finds Rex a changed man, and isn't comfortable with either his new personality or his latest scheme. To make matters worse, Maddox shows up. Is it a coincidence or is he suspicious? The rest of the film hinges on the answer to this question, as well as what Maddox's plans are in either case. ~ Craig Butler, All Movie Guide

CAST FOR 'Running Man'

Laurence Harvey - Rex Black

Lee Remick - Stella Black

Alan Bates - Stephen Maddox

Felix Aylmer - Parson

Eleanor Summerfield - Hilda Tanner

Allan Cuthbertson - Jenkins

Harold Goldblatt - Tom Webster

Noel Purcell - Miles Bleeker

Ramsay Ames - Madge Penderby

Eddie Byrne - Sam Crewdson

Colin Gordon - Solicitor

John Meillon - Jim Jerome

Roger Delgado - Spanish Doctor

Antonio Padilla Ruiz

Pamela Mant

Adriano Dominguez

Herbert Curiel

Lockwood West

Fernando Rey - Police Official

Juan Jose Menendez - Roberto

Joe Lynch

Bob Cunningham

José Calvo

Fortunio Bonanova - Bank Manager

Hi Lee,

Thanks for Running down that lead, man.

I just didn't think it would go somewhere.

Another film that relates to the assassination that I am interested in finding out more about is a documentary movie that is said to have the title: How Hollywood Makes Movies, which was the featured presentation in a carnival tent at the Texas State Fair in Dallas in October, 1963.

Among those who worked at this operation were Larry Crafard and one of Jack Ruby's girl's, Joyce McDonald, I think (and not the Joyce McDonald who worked at Magnolia Oil).

While I have interviewed the Magnolia Oil McDonald, a friend of Volkmar Schmidt, this McDonald became friends with Jean Aase (aka West) when her companion, Larry Meyers, was otherwise preoccupied while they were in Dallas over the assassination weekend.

In October, Ruby took Larry Meyers to the fair just to visit this particular operation, and convinced him to invest some money in it, which he did, writing a check out to Ruby.

Now who was behind this How Hollywood Makes Movies outfit seem to be important to Ruby, as he gets Meyers to help them out financially and then gives jobs to two of the carnies, both of whom become important, and elusive witnesses.

Maybe there's a film freek who could help track down that documentary, who produced it? Who syndicated it? Etc., and that may pan out.

Bk

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Hi Lee,

Thanks for Running down that lead, man.

I just didn't think it would go somewhere.

Another film that relates to the assassination that I am interested in finding out more about is a documentary movie that is said to have the title: How Hollywood Makes Movies, which was the featured presentation in a carnival tent at the Texas State Fair in Dallas in October, 1963.

Among those who worked at this operation were Larry Crafard and one of Jack Ruby's girl's, Joyce McDonald, I think (and not the Joyce McDonald who worked at Magnolia Oil).

While I have interviewed the Magnolia Oil McDonald, a friend of Volkmar Schmidt, this McDonald became friends with Jean Aase (aka West) when her companion, Larry Meyers, was otherwise preoccupied while they were in Dallas over the assassination weekend.

In October, Ruby took Larry Meyers to the fair just to visit this particular operation, and convinced him to invest some money in it, which he did, writing a check out to Ruby.

Now who was behind this How Hollywood Makes Movies outfit seem to be important to Ruby, as he gets Meyers to help them out financially and then gives jobs to two of the carnies, both of whom become important, and elusive witnesses.

Maybe there's a film freek who could help track down that documentary, who produced it? Who syndicated it? Etc., and that may pan out.

Bk

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Hey Bill.

Seems that it was a live show, as opposed to a film?

The html as opposed to pdf - lot's of little errors in it.

- lee

Warren Commission, Volume XXV: CE 2348

MARVIN GARDNER, Electronic Technician,7223Melrose,telephone WE1-2070,WE5-0373and WE5-1442,telephoned theFBI Office in Los Angeles on November27, 1963,and statedthat he had seen the interview of AL DAVIDSON on televisionand DAVIDSON had made it appear that he knew JACK RUBY verywell, but this is not true .GARDNER said that he and otherindividuals were part of a group that put on a show at theDallas State Fair in October,1963,called "How HollywoodMakes Movies ."DAVIDSON was connected with the group in thathe was to handle the publicity, but he did very little work,and met RUBY only casually .GARDNER stated that he talked toRUBY probably more than DAVIDSON did, and GARDNER would behappy to furnish any information he knew, if the FBI wasinterested .GARDNER on November27, 1963,furnished the follow-ing information:GARDNER was employed by ROBERT CRAVEN and DEROSTUS"DEKE" MILES, who produced the show "How Hollywood MakesMovies .A group of eight persons went to Dallas on Sunday,September29, 1963,and the show opened at the Dallas StateFair on October5, 1963 .It was about October3or4, 1963,that GARDNER first met JACK RUBY, who had met CRAVENpreviously .CRAVEN is a promoter who has lived in Los Angelesabout three years but originally was from New England .CRAVEN's wife, RITA CRAVEN, has a clothing business known asCraven Contracting Company,407East Pico, Los Angeles .RUBY was very friendly with this Hollywood groupand assisted them by loaning articles needed as props in theshow .He was given a pass to the show and invited the membersof the group to come to his night club, the Carousel, in down-town Dallas .11/27/6311/29/63ofLos Angeles, CaliforniaF i le # Los Angeles44-895.a.. u , ..a a. r..u.,.... ..o, ee. armnm.aeew. r....a..a.7-1COMMISSION EXHIBIT NO. 2348Dat a dictated11/29/63

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2

2LA 44-895?'.f'?7M dace not know anycca^. of 7.T.'D4,exnc;t: chat RUBY said he came from Chicago sece:ral ;,careago .RUBY was friendly with JOY DALE, a stripper at theCarousel .GARDNER was never at RUBY's house .He does notknow any of RUBY's associates .GARDNER described RUBY ashaving nervous drive but did not think him to be an emotionalindividual .GARDNER never heard of LEE OSWALD and knows ofno connections between OSWALD and RUBY .GARDNER does notknow of any police connections of RUBY, but he heard thatRUBY knew everyone on the Dallas Police Department,The Hollywood show closed on October 15, 1963,and those in the group left that city on October 16, 1963,to return to Los Angeles .The show was a financial failureand the members of the cast did not get paid .While theywere in Dallas, they stayed the first few days at the BakerHotel and then moved to a rooming house on Gaston Street,possibly 3900 block .The rooming house was operated by aDOC (last name unknown), a retired auctioneer, and a mannamed HENRY (last namenknown), who ran a beauty shop inDallas .DOC and HENRY and the Hollywood group were theonly persons staying in the rooming house at the time,Those persons in the Hollywood show were, inaddition to CRAVEN, MILES and GARDNER ;HARRY LOVEJOY, apart-time actor, 15325 South Preeman, Lawndale, California ;JOE RADULA, an insurance man who was the cameraman in theshow, residence 2415 North Gower, Hollywood, California,Hollywood 3-7724 ; SAM DAUGHERTY, an actor and beautician,635 30th Street, Manhattan Beach, telephone PR 2-9093,FR 2-5077 ; JANE SMITH, an actress, address unknown, who hasleft Hollywood and returned to her home in Connecticut ; and CARYN MURPHY, an actress, address unknown, who has leftHollywood and gone to New York .RADULA knew RUBY slightly.GARDNER did not thinkDAUGHERTY knew RUBY at all .LOVEJOY became acquainted withRUBY, and the two women met him.MARVIN GARDNER telephonically informed SA WILLIAMW . COLBY on November 29, 1963, the following :COMMISSION EXHIBIT NO. 2348-Continued3LA 44-895Tt" erl vies an individual by tt.rof TARRY(lea' : rams uikaown), age about 20, who xorkca a:: : carnivalwo ,or around the tent of the show "How Hollywood MakesMovies" in October, 1963, at the Dallas State Pair, Dallas .LARRY told GARDNER thate once used to work in rodeos butwas inured so was then doing carnival work.LARRY had anervious twitch in his eyes .OARDNER believes that LARRYwas from the State of Washington . 'He does not know LARRY'spresent whereabouts .After the show closed on Tuesday, October 15, 1963,LAI_1Y continued working in the same tent for the show thatfollowed .The show that followed was a rock and roll showproduced by JESSIE SEAY of Dallas .SEAY was in charge ofthe rides on the midway .GARDNER understood that SEAY wasa friend of DkaWEY GROOM, owner of the Longhorn Ranch NightClub, Dallas .The rock and roll show lasted only about twonights because of trouble with the musicians .Where LARRYwent after that GARDNER does not know, but he heard thatJACK RUBY may have given him a fob .GARDNER thinks it wasCRAVEN who mentioned this ."LARRY knew a lot of the carnival people workingat the fair .One person he knew was a man named BULL, whitemale, American, age in the thirties, husky build, 6 feet .LARRY and BULL had previously worked in some other show,possibly the Memphis Fair.Between Tuesday, October 15, 1963,12 :00 midnight, and 2 :00 a .m ., October 16, 1963, LARRY andBULB. had a fiat fight in the tent .the Dallas Police cameto the tent to investigate the matter .LARRY told the policehe fell over a chair so did not involve BULL .Another person who knew LARRY at the carnival wasa girl named "JOHNNIE ."She is a thin-looking blonde whofollows the carnivals .Her whereabouts are unknown to GARDNER.GARDNER does not know of any subversive, hoodlumor gambling connections that RUBY might have .COMMISSION EXHIBIT NO. 2348-Continued

In addition to the ad previously posted, here are two more 'Running Man' classifieds. They come from the 16th and 17th of October, 1963.

FWIW.

James

James, does a coded message with an uncoded name from a future 'assassin' make sense?

James, does a coded message with an uncoded name from a future 'assassin' make sense? (John Dolva)

John,

In a word, no. The whole thing doesn't make a lick of sense really but I was curious as to how the Warren Commission explained it and or if there were any other bits of information regarding this out there somewhere flapping in the breeze so to speak.

I was told in private email that the general belief is the message had to do with the film Bill and Lee were discussing. Maybe.

Anagrams for running man

nun man ring nu mann grin nu mann ring (Gerry Hemming)

An anagram for Gerry Patrick Hemming is: Grim Mirth Agency Perk :)

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Richards