The Education Forum

David Ferrie suicide note

A supposed suicide note found at the scene of his death contained the following.

"When you read this I will be quite dead. So no answer will be possible.

I wonder how you are going to justify and rationalize things. Tommy and

you treated me as you did because I was the one always got into trouble.

The police arrests

The stripped car charge

The deal at Kohn school

Flying Barogona in the beach, etc

Well, I guess that helps ease your conscience, even if it is not the truth.

All I can say is that I offered you love and the best I could. All I got in

return in the end, was kick in the teeth. Hence I die alone and unloved.

I wonder what your last days and hours are going to be like.

As you sow, so shall you reap.

Goodbye, Dave"

Has it ever been established who the note was allegedly written for? Al Beauboeuf possibly but who was Tommy?

James

Edited by James Richards

David Ferrie's 'suicide notes,' have always been problematic for me in light of the fact that they were both typewritten, which seems to be a little 'orchestrated' (wouldn't a handwritten note seem a little more appropriate for a suicide?)

Nonetheless, there are not a lot of Thomas-es in David's paper trail circa 1963. But the only one who immediately comes to mind is Thomas Beckham, whom Joan Mellen alleges at least knew David Ferrie. The only other Thomas, Tom that comes to find is Tom Bethell, the 'Garrison investigator' who turned over Garrison's witness list to Shaw's Defense attorney's. Joan alleges that Tom Bethell an Oxford graduate was, in 1963 in contact with Kerry Thornley who some, including myself believe was the person who picked up the FPCC leaflets from the printers in New Orleans, instead of Oswald, which has always been the 'official version' of that event.

Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I too have some problems with the notes. The typewritten bit doesn't bother me so much as there was a typewriter present in Ferrie's apartment at the time of his death. I do agree however that a handwritten last dispatch is more likely.

Thomas Beckham? Could well be.

Cheers,

James

A supposed suicide note found at the scene of his death contained the following.

The police arrests

The stripped car charge

The deal at Kohn school

Goodbye, Dave"

Has it ever been established who the note was allegedly written for? Al Beauboeuf possibly but who was Tommy?

James

I'm glad you referred to it as a supposed suicide note. Contrary to a few published reports, it was found in an envelope taped under a table. The envelope was marked "Open in the event of my death", and contained a list of people to contact in the event of his death and a handwritten will, dated July 1966. Given Ferrie's frequent claims that year to have been feeling very ill, including a hospitalization, it is unclear if this is a farewell note or a suicide note.

I am certain that it was written to Al Beaubouef.

My best guess on Tommy is Thomas Nation Compton III, a former CAP boy, amateur rocket enthusiast, the boy with whom he stayed on the night of 11/24/63, and an employee at Ferrie's gas station in 1964. He was a friend of both men, of long standing. Compton began pulling away from Ferrie's circle in 1965.

"Barogona" is probably James Baragona, whom Ferrie taught to fly in a Beechcraft, and whose license application Ferrie sponsored.

"Barogona" is probably James Baragona, whom Ferrie taught to fly in a Beechcraft, and whose license application Ferrie sponsored.

How did this get Ferrie into trouble?

James Richards slightly misquoted the line: "..because I was the one who always got you in trouble."

Al had taken Baragona up for a flying lesson in late '65, but he was not certificated as a flight instructor, and this was observed by an FAA inspector. It caused a ruckus, but no penalty was imposed.

How did this get Ferrie into trouble?

James Richards slightly misquoted the line: "..because I was the one who always got you in trouble."

Al had taken Baragona up for a flying lesson in late '65, but he was not certificated as a flight instructor, and this was observed by an FAA inspector. It caused a ruckus, but no penalty was imposed.

FWIW, I think your suggestion of Compton, is much more likely than T.E. Beckham, do you know any source information about him, maybe I should know who he is, but I don't off the top of my head

The police arrests

The stripped car charge

The deal at Kohn school

Goodbye, Dave"

James

I'm glad you referred to it as a supposed suicide note. Contrary to a few published reports, it was found in an envelope taped under a table. The envelope was marked "Open in the event of my death", and contained a list of people to contact in the event of his death and a handwritten will, dated July 1966. Given Ferrie's frequent claims that year to have been feeling very ill, including a hospitalization, it is unclear if this is a farewell note or a suicide note.

My best guess on Tommy is Thomas Nation Compton III, a former CAP boy, amateur rocket enthusiast, the boy with whom he stayed on the night of 11/24/63, and an employee at Ferrie's gas station in 1964. He was a friend of both men, of long standing. Compton began pulling away from Ferrie's circle in 1965.

Thanks Steve,

Your knowledge on Ferrie is unsurpassed. I appreciate your imput.

Cheers,

James

• 5 years later...

The police arrests

The stripped car charge

The deal at Kohn school

Goodbye, Dave"

James

(emphasis added by T. Graves)

In light of the fact that Ferrie's other "suicide note" is the subject of a recent post by Lee Farley on another thread, I thought I would "bump" this one so everyone can be aware of it, too. (I'm proud to say that I helped Al become a member of this forum. We've had several interesting phone conversations.) Mr Simkin was gracious enough to waive the forum requirement for a current photo in Al's case.

--Tommy :)

P.S. In post #4 Stephen Roy says that "Tommy" was probably Thomas Nation Compton III.

Edited by Thomas Graves

The police arrests

The stripped car charge

The deal at Kohn school

Goodbye, Dave"

James

In light of the fact that Ferrie's other "suicide note" is the subject of a recent post by Lee Farley on another thread, I thought I would "bump" this one so everyone can be aware of it, too. (I'm proud to say that I helped Al become a member of this forum. We've had several interesting phone conversations.) Mr Simkin was gracious enough to waive the forum requirement for a current photo in Al's case.

P.S. In post #4 Stephen Roy says that "Tommy" was probably Thomas Nation Compton III.

Was Thomas more commonly called "Tommy"? If not... there was another Thomas associated with Ferrie who was...

The police arrests

The stripped car charge

The deal at Kohn school

Goodbye, Dave"

James

Was Thomas more commonly called "Tommy"? If not... there was another Thomas associated with Ferrie who was...

Greg,

Do you mean Thomas Beckham? :ph34r:

As to whether or not Thomas Nation Compton III was more commonly called "Tommy", I suppose you could always call Al Beaubouef or contact Tom Scully. Maybe Tom can dig up some pertinent old wedding invitations AND obituaries...

--Tommy Graves :)

Edited by Thomas Graves

The police arrests

The stripped car charge

The deal at Kohn school

Goodbye, Dave"

James

Greg,

As to whether or not Thomas Nation Compton III was more commonly called "Tommy", I suppose you could always call Al Beaubouef or contact Tom Scully. Maybe Tom can dig up some pertinent old wedding invitations AND obituaries...

Tommy,

It's just that I have not seen Compton referred to as "Tommy". That also applies to Thomas Beckham.

I'm talking about a guy called Tommy Clark.

Stephen made his call on Compton in '06... but in '08, the person SR takes credit for turning against Garrison (David Reitzes) had the name Tommy Clark thrown at him while trawling for information in a New Orleans newsgroup. This person claimed Clark did a runner after the assassination.

Ferrie had once arranged bail for Clark, and during the Garrison case. they tried to subpoena him...

edit: correction on year: Reitzes was trawling the NO newsgroup in '98 - not '08 as stated above

Edited by Greg Parker

(That "Tommy" was probably Thomas Nation Compton III)

Greg,

Tommy,

It's just that I have not seen Compton referred to as "Tommy". That also applies to Thomas Beckham.

I'm talking about a guy called Tommy Clark.

Stephen made his call on Compton in '06... but in '08, the person SR takes credit for turning against Garrison (David Reitzes) had the name Tommy Clark thrown at him while trawling for information in a New Orleans newsgroup. This person claimed Clark did a runner after the assassination.

Ferrie had once arranged bail for Clark, and during the Garrison case. they tried to subpoena him...

Greg,

Interesting stuff, indeed. Thanks, friend!

FWIW, most people call me "Tom" or "Thomas", but my friends call me "Tommy". (They know that's what I prefer to be called now that I'm a 6'4", 210 pound Scots-Irish-Ukrainian-Swedish-Chickasaw senior citizen who is finally "big enough" to handle being called "Tommy" again.) :D

Maybe Compton and/or Beckham were called "Tommy" only by their friends...

--Tommy

Edited by Thomas Graves

Greg,

FWIW, most people call me "Tom" or "Thomas", but my friends call me "Tommy".They know that's what I prefer to be called now that I'm a 6'4", 210 pound Scots-Irish-Ukrainian-Swedish-Chickasaw senior citizen who is finally "big enough" to handle being called "Tommy" again. :D

--Tommy

Tommy,

Maybe they were called Lulu and Tinkerbelle. Who knows? The point is, there's nothing to say they were called anything (that I'm aware of) other than Thomas - whereas Clark appears to have been known by one and all as "Tommy".

Greg (Anglo-Scot-French-Canadian-Cree and still not big enough to let anyone call me Gregory)

Greg,

FWIW, most people call me "Tom" or "Thomas", but my friends call me "Tommy". (They know that's what I prefer to be called now that I'm a 6'4", 210 pound Scots-Irish-Ukrainian-Swedish-Chickasaw senior citizen who is finally "big enough" to handle being called "Tommy" again.) :D

--Tommy

Tommy,

Maybe they were called Lulu and Tinkerbelle. Who knows? The point is, there's nothing to say they were called anything (that I'm aware of) other than Thomas - whereas Clark appears to have been known by one and all as "Tommy".

Greg (Anglo-Scot-French-Canadian-Cree and still not big enough to let anyone call me Gregory)

OK, little Greg. I see your point.

--Big Tommy :)