The Education Forum

AMMUG-1

Does anyone know who 'AMMUG-1' is? I have come across several references to it being a cuban defector but have been unable to identify the person.

According to HSCA testimony given by CIA's Barney Hidalgo, AMMUG 1 was a Cuban defector to Canada in 1964 [and then to the USA] with the first name Vladimir. In April 1964, he informed CIA that while in Mexico City, Oswald "might have had contact" with Luisa Calderon, a Cuban embassy official posted there.

Thanks a lot for the info Robert! I'll look up that testimony. Vladimir sounds an odd name for a cuban to have! Sounds russian?

Francesca, according to Mary Ferrell's database, AMMUG-1 was Vladimir Rodriguez Lahera. Apparently after defection to Canada and the US, he identified individuals in a Cuban mugbook for the CIA. He was a 27-year-old Cuban intelligence officer who defected in Canada, April 24, 1964.

Best,

Royce Bierma

Thanks a lot for the info Robert! I'll look up that testimony. Vladimir sounds an odd name for a cuban to have! Sounds russian?

Francesca, according to Mary Ferrell's database, AMMUG-1 was Vladimir Rodriguez Lahera. Apparently after defection to Canada and the US, he identified individuals in a Cuban mugbook for the CIA. He was a 27-year-old Cuban intelligence officer who defected in Canada, April 24, 1964.

Best,

Royce Bierma

Thanks a lot for that Royce! Most helpful - the name AMMUG-1 came up in connection with someone I'm studying and is very helpful. The fact he was a cuban intelligence officer explains a lot about the whole matter.