The Education Forum

Robert Allen Surrey

Possibly the Highway Patrol in Oxford Mississippi has a photo from his arrest there in 1967.

Bill,

Sorry, I don't have an image of Surrey but do you know anything about the Southwest Information Service that he allegedly headed?

James

Sorry James, I have not heard of it. What year(s) are we talking about?

Thank you John, I have that document. The only photo I have seen of Surrey, is a brief shot in a film of him driving Walker onto Ole' Miss campus. I viewed this at the Jackson Miss. Archives.

Thank you both -Bill

Bill,

Sorry, I don't have an image of Surrey but do you know anything about the Southwest Information Service that he allegedly headed?

James

Thank you John, I have that document. The only photo I have seen of Surrey, is a brief shot in a film of him driving Walker onto Ole' Miss campus. I viewed this at the Jackson Miss. Archives.

Thank you both -Bill

Did he look anything like Oswald, in 1963?

Bill,

James

Thank you both -Bill

Did he look anything like Oswald, in 1963?

No, he doesn't look like Os, I 'm trying to ID some people in photos we got , from various archives.

-Bill

Sorry James, I have not heard of it. What year(s) are we talking about? (William O'Neil)

Bill,

This would be 1963.

James

Thanks James , could you tell me something about this org? {Southwest Information Service]

-Bill

Thanks James , could you tell me something about this org? {Southwest Information Service] (William O'Neil)

Sorry, Bill. I've got nothing here.

I dug up an old clipping which says Surrey headed the Southwest Information Service and the American Eagle Publishing Company.

James

This link makes reference to a conference and one paper on the SouthWest Information Service. Not sure where it leads but it's in the UK - Exeter U.

http://ktru-main.lancs.ac.uk/ISS/noticebo....17?OpenDocument

Thanks gang, your efforts are appreciated!! These people are the heart of evil and proud of it. I've interviewed some of them ....they have no conscience....just goals. Walker is as dirty as the day is long...!

-Bill

Hi Bill,

I was going through some old notes and came across the following. I have no reference for it so hopefully you can add some meat to the bones.

In October of 1962, a photographer by the name of William Duane Robinson was taking photographs outside the Walker residence. At the time, Walker and Surrey were in Mississippi.

Anyway, two men rushed from the Walker house, took Robinson's camera and beat him.

A few days later, Surrey and a man only described as being from the Burns Agency, visited Lt. A.E. Nobles of the Highland Park Police Department. Surrey claimed no knowledge of the event, that the camera was not in the Walker house and that he didn't know who the two men were.

Robinson filed charges against two men identified as John Doe and Richard Roe. Nobles said that these were aliases. (no kidding)

I have no idea what the outcome was. What a bizarre thing and what an over-reaction to someone allegedly just taking photographs. I tried to do a background search on Robinson and came up with nothing.

This of course is interesting given the photographs Oswald took of Walker's residence and the image with the '57 Chevy parked in the driveway with the obliterated licence tag.

FWIW.

James

Hi Bill,

I was going through some old notes and came across the following. I have no reference for it so hopefully you can add some meat to the bones.

In October of 1962, a photographer by the name of William Duane Robinson was taking photographs outside the Walker residence. At the time, Walker and Surrey were in Mississippi.

Anyway, two men rushed from the Walker house, took Robinson's camera and beat him.

A few days later, Surrey and a man only described as being from the Burns Agency, visited Lt. A.E. Nobles of the Highland Park Police Department. Surrey claimed no knowledge of the event, that the camera was not in the Walker house and that he didn't know who the two men were.

Robinson filed charges against two men identified as John Doe and Richard Roe. Nobles said that these were aliases. (no kidding)

I have no idea what the outcome was. What a bizarre thing and what an over-reaction to someone allegedly just taking photographs. I tried to do a background search on Robinson and came up with nothing.

This of course is interesting given the photographs Oswald took of Walker's residence and the image with the '57 Chevy parked in the driveway with the obliterated licence tag.

FWIW.

James

James,

Could the "William D Robinson" listed here be your man? Common first and surname, but being a student at Ole Miss would seem to fit, given the timing of the incident.

lost Ole Miss Alumni Association Members

As you are probably aware, the Burns Agency was a rival to Pinkerton's. The founder headed the fore-runner to the FBI.

Thanks, Greg.

Could well be. I have managed to do a bit more digging and found out that Robinson was a former photographer for United Press International and that at the time of the incident at Walker's house, he was working for Kincaid Photographers. The Kincaid who owned the company was George Kincaid who held a high level clearance with the Air Force during WW2. He was involved in their photographic department.

I have also discovered that Lt. A.E. Nobles died of a heart attack in 1967. He was 51 years old. Nobles was a 1958 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Washington, a member of the Vickery Baptist Church, the Hella Temple Shrine and the Oak Cliff Masonic Lodge.

FWIW.

James

Thanks, Greg.

Could well be. I have managed to do a bit more digging and found out that Robinson was a former photographer for United Press International and that at the time of the incident at Walker's house, he was working for Kincaid Photographers. The Kincaid who owned the company was George Kincaid who held a high level clearance with the Air Force during WW2. He was involved in their photographic department.

I have also discovered that Lt. A.E. Nobles died of a heart attack in 1967. He was 51 years old. Nobles was a 1958 graduate of the FBI National Academy in Washington, a member of the Vickery Baptist Church, the Hella Temple Shrine and the Oak Cliff Masonic Lodge.

FWIW.

James

James and Greg; Good stuff, Walker had some interesting characters passing through and staying at his house when he'd be away. I was told that alot of them were his, well....''boyfriends'', who were very protective of ''Ted''.

-Bill

Thanks, Greg.

FWIW.

James

James and Greg; Good stuff, Walker had some interesting characters passing through and staying at his house when he'd be away. I was told that alot of them were his, well....''boyfriends'', who were very protective of ''Ted''.

-Bill

Bill, good to have you here. Based on what James has since discovered, I'm not confident I found the right person.