The Education Forum

TV shows and the assassination

Guest Stephen Turner

John my memory is terrible but arnt there several references to JFK in Father Ted? There's certainly a photo of him hanging up in the mortuary. And father Colcannon who was "The first man on the scene when they shot Malcomb X."

I have another thread going, which I started about a year ago relating to references to the assassinations of JFK,RFK and MLK in music. Can anybody name a few instances in which there was reference made in films and tv shows. Here are a few.

Quantum Leap, Sam travels into the body of Lee Harvey Oswald and shoots the president.

Woddy Allens character (I think) in Annie Hall is obsessed with the Warren report.

Red Dwarf- The crew use a time machine to travel back in time and stop LHO, the then once again use the time machine to bring JFK behind the picket fence, he then shoots his past self!

Any additions?

John

This is from memory, but I think in Mel Brooks (thanks for the correction) "Men in Tights", the Sherriff of Nottingham attempts to assassinate Robin Hood by having a crossbow sniper shoot Robin from the Nottingham Manuscript Depository.

A more serious parallel is in "murder at 1600"? with Wesley Snipes (and thanks again) playing a Homicide Investigator investigating a murder in the White House. The movie seems to parallel the assassination in many ways. A number of references are made in the script. Including a kind of backdrop of Denzels character as a civil war 'historian', or....er, he liked to play with models of, and talk about and recreate, famous civil war battles.

Then there was some Italian made mob film,(1978?) and perhaps its sequel. Both rerferring in some way to the assassination.

Edited by John Dolva

Guest Stephen Turner
Well remembered Steve,

I have them all on dvd so I will take note next time I watch them! I love the reference to Malcolm X.

John

Dougal (about Jack) "First priest to denounce the Beatles."

Ted, "Yeah, he could see what they were up to alright."

Sorry, wildly off topic. but bloody funny!! :lol:

note to any non brit members----The shows title is "Father Ted" and concerns the antics of three Catholic priests and their house-keeper exiled on the awful Craggy Island. If you can get it on Video, or DVD buy it, it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen, sort of a cross between Monty python and the Office.

Father Ted, "Its not really my area Bishop"

Bishop Brennan, "You dont have an area Crilly, Unless its some sort of play area."

Edited by Stephen Turner

This is from memory, but I think in Mel Blancs? "Men in Tights", the Sherriff of Nottingham attempts to assassinate Robin Hood by having a crossbow sniper shoot Robin from the Nottingham Manuscript Depository.

A more serious parallel is in "murder at 1600"? with Denzel Washington playing a Homicide Investigator investigating a murder in the White House. The movie seems to parallel the assassination in many ways. A number of references are made in the script. Including a kind of backdrop of Denzels character as a civil war 'historian', or....er, he liked to play with models of, and talk about and recreate, famous civil war battles.

"This is from memory, but I think in Mel Blancs? 'Men in Tights'..." Mel Brooks. Mel Blanc did the Looney Tunes voices(Bugs, Daffy, Porky, etc)

"A more serious parallel is in "murder at 1600"? with Denzel Washington..." Wesley Snipes was the DC detective, not Denzel Washington. Frankly I don't recall any parallel at all regarding JFK and Murder at 1600. An ambitious presidential aide(Alan Alda) tries to frame the president's son for murder to force the president to resign.

Edited by Richard J. Smith

A more serious parallel is in "murder at 1600"? with Denzel Washington playing a Homicide Investigator investigating a murder in the White House. The movie seems to parallel the assassination in many ways. A number of references are made in the script. Including a kind of backdrop of Denzels character as a civil war 'historian', or....er, he liked to play with models of, and talk about and recreate, famous civil war battles.
"A more serious parallel is in "murder at 1600"? with Denzel Washington..." Wesley Snipes was the DC detective, not Denzel Washington. Frankly I don't recall any parallel at all regarding JFK and Murder at 1600. An ambitious presidential aide(Alan Alda) tries to frame the president's son for murder to force the president to resign.

Full details here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119731/

Full details here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119731/

and he ends up trying to shoot the pres, see the movie again with kennedy in mind

a more obvious part of the "1600" script:

The time of her death is set. . .

. . .between : . . .

. . .and : .

He eats a doughnut. . .

. . .then stabs her times.

Lee Harvey Oswald was seen in the book depository cafeteria drinking Coke. . .

. . .a minute after Kennedy was shot.

He's reading Soap Opera Digest.

months ago. . . .

That's not enough.

If that's all you got, you got nothing.