The Education Forum

Cuba, McCloy and Kruschev

I just read a Cuban Missile Crisis account that puts John J. McCloy in a discussion with Nikita Kruschev during the crisis where Kruschev reveals to McCloy that the Soviets are about to test a 100 Megaton Hydrogen Bomb.

This is not out of the question at this time since the Soviets had in fact tested the "Tsar Bomb" in 1961. It was the biggest nuclear device ever built by anyone, and was a fusion bomb with a yield of 50 megatons. It was detonated on October 30, 1961, and was capable of approximately 100 megatons, but was purposely reduced shortly before the launch. Although weaponized, it was not a realistic weapon of war, but was part of sabre-rattling between the Soviet Union and United States during the Cold War. The explosion was hot enough to induce third degree burns at 100 km.

The threat would seem apparent.

Can anyone confirm this event or point me toward additional literature?

Jim Root

George

Thanks for the lead.

This seems to confirm what I had read over the weekend.

The article mentions McCloy by name which once again puts him into the center of the nuclear test ban picture. We also find that after a prolonged period of non testing of nuclear weapons the Cold War atmosphere for increased nuclear development was leading to the development of bombs which could annihilate any Euoropean country with a single weapon.

I continue to believe that this subject (comprehensive nuclear test ban treaty) was of such grave concern for McCloy, coupled with Kennedy's willingness to back away from a comprehensive test ban treaty, that may have led McCloy to conspire to assassinate John F. Kennedy and put himself (McCloy) back into a position to lead the international negotiations toward the 1968 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

The pieces continue to come together, including perhaps Soviet cooperation.

Did the Soviets really believe Kennedy would go beyond the "brink" during the Cuban Crisis?

Jim Root

Can anyone confirm this event or point me toward additional literature?

Jim Root

Hi Jim

found this information quite useful concerning the "Tsar Bomba"

George

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Russia/TsarBomba.html