The Education Forum

Oscar Ortiz

I just happened to come across a rather interesting document in the NARA online search database regarding this man. The title reads:

"JOHN V. MARTINO NAMES HIS SOURCE ON OSWALD'S ACTIVITIES IN MIAMI AS OSCAR ORTIZ."

Anyone know more about him? Was he involved with JM/WAVE?

Hi Francesca,

Oscar Ortiz probably never existed and if he did, it would be a false name.

Remembering that Frank Sturgis, Jerry Buchanan and his reporter brother James were also floating stories about Oswald being in Miami.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

Guest Stephen Turner

James is right, almost certainly an "agency" name. One of the two men reported to have been aiding an assassination attempt on President Carter in 1979 was called Oswaldo Ortiz (the other was Ray lee Harvey, but thats another story) After arrest these two simply disappear from history, there job was to send a message to Carter, one he apparantly recieved.

Thanks James and Stephen for your replies. James do you mean then that the stories Sturgis put about of LHO being in Miami were false? I wasn't aware LHO ever went to Miami but I don't know much about the goings on there. I found another memo about Sturgis relating to Miami I think can't remember what. I'll go and have another look...

Stepehen, interesting info on Carter I wasn't aware of it - do you know any more about 'ray lee harvey'? Weird coincidence with the name etc.

Guest Stephen Turner

Francesca, I started a thread called Warning to Jimmy Carter, about six months ago. If you use the search feature you can read all about it. Its a weird one sure enough. Steve.

Francesca,

I just happened to come across a rather interesting document in the NARA online search database regarding this man. The title reads:

"JOHN V. MARTINO NAMES HIS SOURCE ON OSWALD'S ACTIVITIES IN MIAMI AS OSCAR ORTIZ."

You might want to read Warren Commission Document 1169 starting on page 1

and FBI HSCA Administrative Folder M6 page 197.

Martino said that he met Ortiz in a Cuban prison.

CD 1169 p. 1

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...565&relPageId=2

FBI HSCA Administrative Folder# M6 p. 197

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...0&relPageId=197

Steve Thomas

Thanks James and Stephen for your replies. James do you mean then that the stories Sturgis put about of LHO being in Miami were false? I wasn't aware LHO ever went to Miami but I don't know much about the goings on there. I found another memo about Sturgis relating to Miami I think can't remember what. I'll go and have another look...

Stepehen, interesting info on Carter I wasn't aware of it - do you know any more about 'ray lee harvey'? Weird coincidence with the name etc.

Hi Francesca,

This is where things get confusing somewhat. I have not dismissed the possibility that LHO was in Miami. The Miami LHO might also have been an impersonator. If there was no LHO in Miami then several folk have gone out of their way to put Oswald there.

For example, Jerry Buchanan claims to have had a fist fight with Oswald in Miami, a story that James Buchanan and Frank Sturgis subsequently told. One would seriously have to question that the event ever happened.

James

Is possible that Martino got Ramirez Ortiz and Oscar (Marino?) "Ortiz" confused? Both similar claims out of Cuba and involved in HSCA testimony, later in "Rendezvous..." Footnote in Russo book makes me wonder if names mixed up or combined by Martino. What was Blakey's opinion of Martino testimony?

In his book Harvey and Lee, John Armstrong writes:

August (1959) Lee Oswald in Coral Gables, Florida

Mrs. Gladys Davis put on a considerable amount of weight after giving birth in April, 1959. She was still having trouble getting into her old clothes in August when a friend of her husband's, a Cuban known as "Mexicano," visited her home at 700 Saldona Street in Coral Gables, Florida, "Mexicano," whose real name was Francisco Rodriguez Tamayo, was a Cuban exile who was residing at 2484 NW 29th Street in Miami. He was well known to the anti-Castro Cubans and identified by Cuban refugee Rene Carballo as the head of one of the training camps at Lake Ponchartrain, LA. Mrs. Davis said her husband, Martinez Malo often brought numerous Cubans to their residence. On one occasion, when "Mexicano" came to her home looking for her husband, he was accompanied by Lee Oswald. (National Archives, HSCA 180-10047-10009, FBI Case Files, FBI interview of Gladys Davis, SAC Miami, 11/2/64 and National Archives, Classified Subject File 129-11, FBI interview of Rene Carballo at New Orleans, 5/12/67)

Note: While Lee Oswald was in Florida, with the leader of one of the CIA-sponsored training camps at Lake Ponchartrain, Harvey was at MACS 9 in Santa Ana, CA.

This was the first sighting of Lee Oswald in Florida in the company of anti-Castro Cubans. We shall soon see that Lee Oswald was in Florida, New Orleans, Dallas, and several other locations from the summer of 1959 thru June 1962, while Harvey was either in the Marine Corps or the USSR.

Spring (1961) - Lee Oswald in Key West, Florida

Sherriff Thompson, of Monroe County (Key West), Florida, recalled that "Lee Harvey Oswald" fueled up his boat in Key West shortly after the Bay of Pigs. Oswald didn't have the funds to pay for fuel and telephoned someone in Dallas, Texas. Within two hours a man named "Ruben" arrived and paid for the fuel. (Report of John A. Marshall, Secret Service 2/5/64)

William Huffman was the attendant on duty when Lee Oswald, accompanied by 4 or 5 Cubans, docked at the Sands Marine Fueling Station at Stock Island, Key West, Florida in a 43-foot Chris Craft diesel boat. Huffman recalled that Oswald did not have enough money to pay for the fuel and soon a man named "Ruben" came to the dock. Huffman said that although Ruben paid cash for the fuel, he (Huffman) asked Oswald to sign the fuel delivery ticket. Huffman explained to the FBI, "I told him I wanted his autograph in case he should become famous at some later date." Huffman was a former FBI informant whose identification code was "MM 892-C." He reported Oswald's visit to the supervisor of the FBI's Miami office, Homer A. Newman, on November 25, 1963. (WC Document 953; FBI interview of William Huffman by James J. O'Connor 5/5/64 and FBI Administrative file MM 105-8342)

Note: William Huffman, like Valentine Ashworth, Mrs. Davis, Martinez Malo, Oscar DeSlatte, James Spencer, and many others, was ignored by the FBI because his testimony placed (Lee) Oswald in Florida with "Ruben" (a clear reference to Jack Ruby), when (Harvey) Oswald was in the Soviet Union. The identity of "Ruben," who arrived from Key West and paid cash for the fuel, is uncertain. But Jack Rubenstein (Ruby), from Dallas was actively running guns from Florida to Cuba during this period.

Edited by Michael Hogan

Is possible that Martino got Ramirez Ortiz and Oscar (Marino?) "Ortiz" confused? Both similar claims out of Cuba and involved in HSCA testimony, later in "Rendezvous..." Footnote in Russo book makes me wonder if names mixed up or combined by Martino. What was Blakey's opinion of Martino testimony?

Christy,

If it was Antulio Ramirez Ortiz, the guy who hi-jacked the plane in 1961 and later claimed he had worked for Cuban Intel, then he may have some credibility problems.

BTW, was he the one who said he saw a 'Top Secret' file which suggested Oswald be employed for the assassination, another one of those Castro did it scenarios?

James

Yes the hijacker. He said LHO to make contact with Cubans killing JFK, Marina a tool of Soviet Intel, Castro fooled by Soviet plan to use Cuba as base against US, and gave the info before the death of JFK to Swiss in Cuba whom he blamed for failure to pass on in time. The Swiss helped him make it back to US FBI handlers he wrote manuscript and I can't seem to get a copy. He said he shared a cell with my father the CIA concurs so his credibility is important. Why do you think he's not credible, James? Thanks as always.

Yes the hijacker. He said LHO to make contact with Cubans killing JFK, Marina a tool of Soviet Intel, Castro fooled by Soviet plan to use Cuba as base against US, and gave the info before the death of JFK to Swiss in Cuba whom he blamed for failure to pass on in time. The Swiss helped him make it back to US FBI handlers he wrote manuscript and I can't seem to get a copy. He said he shared a cell with my father the CIA concurs so his credibility is important. Why do you think he's not credible, James? Thanks as always.

Hi Christy,

I question his credibility mainly based on the Castro did it scenario and that he was able to conveniently access this alleged file. Given that several others were trying to sell the same story, I just feel that an agenda was being played out.

Then again.....

James

I found another memo about Sturgis relating to Miami I think can't remember what. I'll go and have another look...

The memo is also relates to Oscar Ortiz, though as you can't view the actual memo online I don't know what it contains. Interesting that it dates from 1959. The information sheet on it says:

ORIGINATOR : CIA

TO : DIRECTOR

TITLE : CABLE RE OSCAR ORTIZ.

DATE : 01/14/1959

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : FIORINI, FRANK; RUIZ

CLASSIFICATION : CONFIDENTIAL

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 07/02/1993

COMMENTS : JFK2 : F16 : 1993.07.02.09:50:03:590800 :

I don't know who 'Ruiz' is if it's another person or an alias of Sturgis?

Francesca,

You might want to read Warren Commission Document 1169 starting on page 1

and FBI HSCA Administrative Folder M6 page 197.

Martino said that he met Ortiz in a Cuban prison.

CD 1169 p. 1

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...565&relPageId=2

FBI HSCA Administrative Folder# M6 p. 197

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...0&relPageId=197

Steve Thomas

Many thanks Steve for that info. Very interesting. Also confusing - you don't know who to believe. Did the WC say Martino was unrelaible etc becasue they wanted to dismiss the story or was Martino lying. And if so for what purpose? I don't know much about him so I don't know.

I must get round to joining the Mary Ferrell site. It is an excellent resource.