The Education Forum

Mack-Miller re:DMyers & Monaco Film Labs

** reference DMyers - Zapruder film and Monaco Film Labs, SF, CA.... email - July 27th 2006**

David,

I understand there is something on your mind.

Bill Miller calls or emails questions to me, as do other researchers,

about the Kennedy assassination. When someone asks, I always try to

answer.

Here are the answers to your specific questions:

"evidence pertaining to his work...." ? ? ? Eidence of Dale's WORK,

wtf?

Let me spell this out for you, clearly. 'I expect no direct response

from the 6th Floor Museum (Gary Mack), nor DMyers'.

having said THAT, was permission granted and usage fees paid to the

Zapruder trust, for the inclusion of Z-film segments in the ABC

documentary that included DMyers DP/Elm St. animation? The 6th Floor Museum knows

such things, correct?

Gary Mack: ABC News licensed the Zapruder film for the Peter Jennings

special from The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. The Zapruder

family severed all connections with the Z film when it donated the film's

copyright to the Museum on December 30, 1999. Dale Myers had nothing to

do with licensing the film for the program.

1) was the Z-film in-camera original (housed at NARA) used for the new

and improved version done by Monaco? (Excellent, no P R I S T I N E

quality by-the-way -- kinda makes you wonder what the in-camera original

actually looks like.

Gary Mack: The ABC special used a video tape of the National Archives'

preservation film copy of the 8mm camera original Zapruder footage.

2) Did Myers pay a Z-film usage fee, or did ABC pick up that tab?

Gary Mack: ABC News, not Dale Myers, licensed the Z film for its

documentary from the Museum. I have no knowledge of Dale's arrangements, if

any, with ABC News.

3) Did DMyers use Monaco's, newly created Z-film digital

representations of the frames (for his TOASTER/Lightwave animation), if so, what

digital image file format, frame dimension and size?

Gary Mack: I have no knowledge of what source material Dale used for

his animation.

Gary Mack

Curator

The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza

411 Elm St Suite 120

Dallas TX 75202-3308

(214) 747-6660, ext 6693

gmack@jfk.org

www.jfk.org

Gary speaks through you Bill, you're the defacto *internet board* voice

for the 6th floor when it comes to the films and photos under their

care -- If you Bill can't get this info [or won't].....

Gary, if you will, email me the answers please, I'll post them to this

thread

David Healy

Pristine Z-film images floating around from the ABC documentary, and they're from a videotape, Hi-Def or 601 SD or DigiBeta? 24P, 30i, 60i -- absolutely amazing -- frankly, not sure I believe that! Did Monaco do a NARA 8mm film restoration? Or did they just create a film to tape dupe cleaning up the frames along the way -- they're to good, they'd demand use of the original, even if its a 35mm slide of each frame from the extant film at NARA.... more questions as usual!

Edited by David G. Healy

Pristine Z-film images floating around from the ABC documentary, and they're from a videotape, Hi-Def or 601 SD or DigiBeta? 24P, 30i, 60i -- absolutely amazing -- frankly, not sure I believe that! Did Monaco do a NARA 8mm film restoration? Or did they just create a film to tape dupe cleaning up the frames along the way -- they're to good, they'd demand use of the original, even if its a 35mm slide of each frame from the extant film at NARA.... more questions as usual!

I said this before ... Trask's details in his book how one can get a copy of the Zfilm from NARA. If one is willing to pay for the copy to be made, then the National Archive will make it obtainable. The purpose for how it will be used (commercial or otherwise) is sure to make a difference on how much one has to pay for the film copy.

About the restoration part of your question ... Monaco was willing to restore the film through some new techniques, but NARA had concerns as to whether one should risk damaging the camera original film. In short - they didn't want another incident on their hands as like what happened with the Dillard negative and how it was damaged. After careful consideration it was decided to not risk destroying a national treasure like Zapruder's film.

Bill Miller

I said this before ... Trask's details in his book how one can get a copy of the Zfilm from NARA. If one is willing to pay for the copy to be made, then the National Archive will make it obtainable. The purpose for how it will be used (commercial or otherwise) is sure to make a difference on how much one has to pay for the film copy.

About the restoration part of your question ... Monaco was willing to restore the film through some new techniques, but NARA had concerns as to whether one should risk damaging the camera original film. In short - they didn't want another incident on their hands as like what happened with the Dillard negative and how it was damaged. After careful consideration it was decided to not risk destroying a national treasure like Zapruder's film.

Bill Miller

you're not telling me the Zapruder film footage we saw in the ABC documentary (and the DVD of same documentary) came from the extant film that was used in the MPI debacle are you?

If it wasn't that version, what Z-film version DID ABC and Myers use? It's all right to say you don't know?

btw, over the last 25 years I've purchased through NARA *approved* vendors over 100K worth of search time and archival films for broadcast

Edited by David G. Healy

you're not telling me the Zapruder film footage we saw in the ABC documentary (and the DVD of same documentary) came from the extant film that was used in the MPI debacle are you?

You posted Mack's email to you, but it appears you didn't bother to read what he said. For instance, "The ABC special used a video tape of the National Archives'

preservation film copy of the 8mm camera original Zapruder footage."

btw, over the last 25 years I've purchased through NARA *approved* vendors over 100K worth of search time and archival films for broadcast

I'd have to see those reciepts, but it doesn't say much when you sound like the guy who took 25 years to get through high school as if he somehow was more educated than someone who did it in four years. For instance, I guess that you didn't view them long enough to know Moorman's photo was filmed for TV not 30 minutes following the assassination. The same can be said when you always would say that there were no identifiable pictures of Sitzman in Dealay Plaza ... despite her turning around and looking right at Zapruder before Abe had filmed the assassination footage. It's like having a library full of books and never having read any of them.

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller

'Bill Miller' dronned on

You posted Mack's email to you, but it appears you didn't bother to read what he said. For instance, "The ABC special used a video tape of the National Archives'

preservation film copy of the 8mm camera original Zapruder footage."

dgh: what preservation *film* copy, when was it created... perhaps you'll can draw on your vast video experience and answer a few elementary questions regarding same, huh? You know, show off for a bit ?-- You always get this testy when someone refers to you as a "condesending twerp"? Ready for a few related video questions? After all, your the expert, should be quite simple, before I start a new thread make sure you have a thorough understanding of video 3:2 pulldown, giving you a little advance notice, my way of being a nice guy

I'd have to see those reciepts, but it doesn't say much when you sound like the guy who took 25 years to get through high school as if he somehow was more educated than someone who did it in four years.

dgh: 25 years through high school, LOL -- you're losing it champ -- Slattery DID get to you...

For instance, I guess that you didn't view them long enough to know Moorman's photo was filmed for TV not 30 minutes following the assassination.

dgh: stay on point Bill, the thread is DMyers - Monaco Film Labs [whom I was a client]

The same can be said when you always would say that there were no identifiable pictures of Sitzman in Dealay Plaza ... despite her turning around and looking right at Zapruder before Abe had filmed the assassination footage.

dgh: stay on point Bill, the thread is DMyers - Monaco Film Labs [whom I was a client]

It's like having a library full of books and never having read any of them.

dgh: before I partake in gamesmanship with you, you ever been in the National Archives

Bill Miller

Edited by David G. Healy

dgh: what preservation *film* copy, when was it created... perhaps you'll can draw on your vast video experience and answer a few elementary questions regarding same, huh? You know, show off for a bit ?-- You always get this testy when someone refers to you as a "condesending twerp"? Ready for a few related video questions? After all, your the expert, should be quite simple, before I start a new thread make sure you have a thorough understanding of video 3:2 pulldown, giving you a little advance notice, my way of being a nice guy

Maybe if you buy Trask's book instead of trolling the forums, you'd know the answers to these questions of yours. But first you have to take JFK's murder seriously enough to actually learn the case. As far as being mad at you about anything - it simply isn't the case ... I actually feel pitty for you.

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller