The Education Forum

Edward McBee?

Steve Thomas

This is from page 44 of the HSCA Executive Session of March 9, 1977

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=46

There is no indication that McBee testified to the Warren Commission, or the HSCA. I haven't found where Tannenbaum followed up on this.

Now, we have information from an individual that there is a gentleman in Dallas who is prepared to come forward. It is our belief, we have not talked to him; an individual

who has talked to him has passed this on to us his name is Edward McBee. He was a bartender who worked for Jack Ruby and other nightclub owners in Dallas and he, in fact, testified before the Warren Commission that he did not know a Oswald and he knew of no relationship between Oswald and Jack Ruby.

He presently is recovering from cancer and has indicated to the individual who called

us that approximately eleven days before the assassination there was a meeting in his club where he worked and that the individuals who were present at this meeting were Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, a fellow by the name of Emilio Santana, Guy Bannister

and approximately four or five other individuals from New Orleans and Mexico City.

Let us just quickly look at some of the individuals who were at this meeting that we know about. He positively identified photograph, when showed to him by a researcher, of Guy Bannister. Guy Bannister -- this gets back to Mr. Thone's question about the Fair Play for Cuba activity.

Guy-Bannister was a former FBI officer in charge of the Chicago office…

Emilio Santana is another individual a member of this No Name Key Group.

We have photographs of him.

Mr. Fithian.

You say on page 13 - and you just recently said, and before you get too far beyond this,

you said “Recently McBee recanted his story. He now states" and then you go on to indicate what he states about the group meeting in his tavern and so on. He states this to

whom?

Mr. Tannenbaum. He stated it to one Gary Shaw, an individual who has been active

in research in the assassination for some years.

Mr,.Fithian. You have not had any correspondence with him?

Mr. Tanenbaum. No; we have not.

Mr. Fauntroy. Would the gentleman yield?

I would be happy to yield.

Mr. Fauntroy.

What is the feasibility of bringing Mr. McBee here, both in terms of not compromising

his reputation and in terms of his health?

Mr. Tanenbaum. I have not spoken to Mr. McBee and I cannot answer the question

until we actually do speak with him in Dallas, which we have to do.

Mr. Preyer.

Do you know of any way to corroborate McBee? If you could substantiate his testimony

the whole Warren Commission is anchored on the premise that Ruby and Oswald

have no connection with each other. If this, and what you say later, could be demonstrated, it could be very important.

Mr. Tanenbaum. Before we could be in a position, Mr. Preyer, to corroborate anything he said, we obviously, in the very, very first instance, we have to speak to him in person.

Mr. McKinney. I wonder if this is the sort of smoking gun that Congress is looking for? It is not proof, but it is a big question. The mere fact that there would be a man who was there and was going to testify under oath certainly would assuage a lot of my colleagues

Mr. Tanenbaum.

If our budget will permit, we will make any effort to go down to Dallas and speak with him.

Mr. Preyer. Is this the type of witness you could ask to take the polygraph test?

Mr. Tanenbaum. I do not see any reason why we could not do that.

Steve Thomas

This is from page 44 of the HSCA Executive Session of March 9, 1977

McBee was interviewed by the FBI on December 19, 1963.

His interview is at 23H110 also CD 105 p. 112

He felt that Ruby was bisexual.

In his interview he said that he knew of no association between Ruby and Oswald.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

In his interview he said that he knew of no association between Ruby and Oswald. (Steve Thomas)

I have always had some difficulty in imagining an association between Ruby and Oswald. I can see how Ruby and say Tippit could come together but not LHO.

The image below shows a man who allegedly did some part time work at the Campisi Brothers' Egyptian Lounge restaurant, an establishment where Jack Ruby supposedly visited frequently.

Post assassination when some witnesses were putting Ruby and Oswald together, I wonder could they have actually seen this guy?

Just some more food for thought.

James

In his interview he said that he knew of no association between Ruby and Oswald. (Steve Thomas)

I have always had some difficulty in imagining an association between Ruby and Oswald. I can see how Ruby and say Tippit could come together but not LHO.

The image below shows a man who allegedly did some part time work at the Campisi Brothers' Egyptian Lounge restaurant, an establishment where Jack Ruby supposedly visited frequently.

Post assassination when some witnesses were putting Ruby and Oswald together, I wonder could they have actually seen this guy?

Just some more food for thought.

James

I suspect mutual acquaintances are what brought LHO and Ruby together. It would be astounding if the HSCA never made an effort to get testimony from McBee after this meeting. That being said the fact that some of the committee wasn't even aware that Banister was dead ( although he had been dead for 13 years at the time) might call into question their zeal for the job in the first place.

Edited by Alan Espy