The Education Forum

The unsolved murder of Valerie Percy

Wim Dankbaar

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murd...ercy/index.html

Could this murder have something to do with the Kennedy assassination?

Just curious for comments.

Wim

Why do you say this?

The only connection I can think of: Her father was an executive

with Bell and Howell, as I recall, before he became a US senator;

Zapruder used a Bell and Howell camera.

Jack :tomatoes

Edited by Jack White

there's pepsi and the Rockefellers too...

but

A first thought is a consideration of the Chicago of the mid sixties and the various extremist radicals around at the time. Why that would be relevant is because of Percys involvement with supporters of the Panthers. He also was against the war in Vietnam. These stances could expose his family to problems.

On the other hand, multiple bludgeonings and stabbings tend to indicate a spur of the moment killing by a disturbed person. Often someone who knows the victim. But sometimes a serial killer. That would indicate it has nothing to do with politics.

Interestingly, Belll and Howell published a huge collection of underground magazines on microfilm, many of them very obscure, dating from the time of the murder till the mid seventies. Do you know if Percy was still associated with them (B&H) by the mid seventies? If so perhaps he saw reason to look for clues in the radical underground?

there's pepsi and the Rockefellers too...

but

A first thought is a consideration of the Chicago of the mid sixties and the various extremist radicals around at the time. Why that would be relevant is because of Percys involvement with supporters of the Panthers. He also was against the war in Vietnam. These stances could expose his family to problems.

On the other hand, multiple bludgeonings and stabbings tend to indicate a spur of the moment killing by a disturbed person. Often someone who knows the victim. But sometimes a serial killer. That would indicate it has nothing to do with politics.

Interestingly, Belll and Howell published a huge collection of underground magazines on microfilm, many of them very obscure, dating from the time of the murder till the mid seventies. Do you know if Percy was still associated with them (B&H) by the mid seventies? If so perhaps he saw reason to look for clues in the radical underground?

From the internet:

Percy, Charles Harting (b. 1919) — also known as Charles H. Percy — of Kenilworth, Cook County, Ill.; Wilmette, Cook County, Ill. Born in Pensacola, Escambia County, Fla., September 27, 1919. Father-in-law of John Davison Rockefeller IV. Republican. Served in the U.S. Navy during World War II; delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1960; candidate for Governor of Illinois, 1964; U.S. Senator from Illinois, 1967-85; defeated, 1984. Member, Council on Foreign Relations; Alpha Delta Phi; Phi Delta Phi. President and CEO of Bell & Howell in 1949-63. Still living as of 2002.

I wonder where he stood on Kennedy.

Like Kennedy he had an interest in the well being of the poor.

Why do you say this?

Someone who I respect suggested there's a connection there. But don't take that as gospel.

Anyway, he encouraged me to look at it. I found nothing tangible, just a few intriguing elements:

Unsolved

nothing stolen (What's the motive then? Silence maybe?)

Rockefeller (she was dating Jay, who then married her twin sister)

Political succes and wealth in Chicago (that always makes me think of Giancana)

A composite sketch that looks like Richard Cain.

Wim

I refreshed with my source. He is a real treasure trove. Probably not really connnected to JFK. The rumor was that Percy was in Giancana's pocket. They owed each other "favors". Percy had a lot of clout and according to Giancana didn't do enough to get the Feds of his back. Most like further disenchantments developed. Word on the street was that this murder was Giancana's "message" to Percy. Something like: This is what I do for disobeyment and you can't do a thing about it. Next time it will be you.

The murderer could have been Cain. I don't know if Cook county was in charge of the investigation but that would make it extra interesting.

Wim

It might be worth noting that not long after the killing, a young man confessed to the crime. He was arrested on a traffic offense and became irrationally violent. Later, he told the police he killed Valerie Percy.

The police did not believe him. He did fit the description given out.

James

Edited by James Richards

It might be worth noting that not long after the killing, a young man confessed to the crime. He was arrested on a traffic offense and became irrationally violent. Later, he told the police he killed Valerie Percy.

James

Hi James,

Any idea or info as to why the cops didn't believe him?

Just curious.

Thanks, Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

James

Hi James,

Any idea or info as to why the cops didn't believe him?

Just curious.

Thanks, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

There were no specifics given. I imagine like all high profile murder cases, they attract their fair share of fruit loops wanting to take credit. In this case though, it was interesting that this guy didn't come forward on his own initiative but after an arrest on an unrelated matter.

James

Edited by James Richards