The Education Forum

The Pates connections

Guest Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti

There were three different people with the surname Pate who were instrumental in various aspects of the JFK assassination:

Pate Number One:

SAM PATE - Reporter for radio station KBOX who allegedly made an on-the-spot recording of events surrounding the shooting. Later, the HSCA investigated this recording and came to the conclusion that

"While a portion of the tape was recorded on November 22, 1963, in the vicinity of Dealey Plaza, it was thought not to be contemporaneous with the assassination. Other portions of the tape, moreover, seemed to have been recorded, at least in large part, in a studio, since appropriate background noise was not present."

In other words, they're suggesting that Sam Pate lied about when he made this somewhat famous audio recording.

Another interesting note about radio man Sam Pate. He admitted that about a week prior to the assassination, "we had a little deal on my windshield that said, "Patriots, wear mourning clothes November 22nd. JFK's, the guy's coming to town, and we're going to, like, shoot him."

So it seems that KBOX's Sam Pate was no fan of JFK. As an aside, he was fired right after the assassination and not rehired by KBOX until 1965.

Pate Number Two:

On December 4, 1963, Wes Wise, a reporter with KRLD-TV in Dallas at the time of the assassination and later mayor of Dallas, was giving a speech at the Ol Chico Restaurant in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. That day, a man named Mack Pate approached Wise with information about a mechanic who worked for Pate. The mechanic, named White, had seen an 'irregularly parked car' in the parking lot of the El Chico Restaurant on the afternoon of November 22 after radio reports were being broadcast about the shooting in Dealey Plaza; the car was slightly hidden by a billboard. White made a note of the license number of the car.

Later, White saw Oswald and recognized him as being the man he had seen in the car.

This is all part of the "Wise allegation" which claims that Oswald was sitting in a car belonging to Carl Mather, J.D. Tippit's best friend.

Pate Number Three:

112th Military Intelligence Group U.S. Army Captain JAMES POWELL, who took the now-famous photo of the TSBD within a minute of the shooting in DP, called DPS Special Agent SAMUEL H. PATE, also of the 112th MIG. Pate was Powell's boss, according to Powell's testimony.

I don't know how common the name Pate is in Dallas -- but does anyone know if these three men are related? Brothers? Cousins?

SAM PATE

MACK PATE

SAMUEL H. PATE

MV

There were three different people with the surname Pate who were instrumental in various aspects of the JFK assassination:

Pate Number One:

SAM PATE - Reporter for radio station KBOX who allegedly made an on-the-spot recording of events surrounding the shooting. Later, the HSCA investigated this recording and came to the conclusion that

"While a portion of the tape was recorded on November 22, 1963, in the vicinity of Dealey Plaza, it was thought not to be contemporaneous with the assassination. Other portions of the tape, moreover, seemed to have been recorded, at least in large part, in a studio, since appropriate background noise was not present."

In other words, they're suggesting that Sam Pate lied about when he made this somewhat famous audio recording.

Another interesting note about radio man Sam Pate. He admitted that about a week prior to the assassination, "we had a little deal on my windshield that said, "Patriots, wear mourning clothes November 22nd. JFK's, the guy's coming to town, and we're going to, like, shoot him."

So it seems that KBOX's Sam Pate was no fan of JFK. As an aside, he was fired right after the assassination and not rehired by KBOX until 1965.

Pate Number Two:

On December 4, 1963, Wes Wise, a reporter with KRLD-TV in Dallas at the time of the assassination and later mayor of Dallas, was giving a speech at the Ol Chico Restaurant in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. That day, a man named Mack Pate approached Wise with information about a mechanic who worked for Pate. The mechanic, named White, had seen an 'irregularly parked car' in the parking lot of the El Chico Restaurant on the afternoon of November 22 after radio reports were being broadcast about the shooting in Dealey Plaza; the car was slightly hidden by a billboard. White made a note of the license number of the car.

Later, White saw Oswald and recognized him as being the man he had seen in the car.

This is all part of the "Wise allegation" which claims that Oswald was sitting in a car belonging to Carl Mather, J.D. Tippit's best friend.

Pate Number Three:

112th Military Intelligence Group U.S. Army Captain JAMES POWELL, who took the now-famous photo of the TSBD within a minute of the shooting in DP, called DPS Special Agent SAMUEL H. PATE, also of the 112th MIG. Pate was Powell's boss, according to Powell's testimony.

I don't know how common the name Pate is in Dallas -- but does anyone know if these three men are related? Brothers? Cousins?

SAM PATE

MACK PATE

SAMUEL H. PATE

MV

At the moment I can't add anything of signifcance, to address your query; But I would like to say that in the world of JFK Research, there has been a Achilles Heel regarding research which your post centers on; and that is "name check's. For those like myself, and others who go to the NARA Website and other sites that list declassified documents, we are all familiar with the CIA/FBI name check's, which the agencies in question use to accumulate specific info on the person or person's in question. But what I am talking about is more of a 'potential genealogical connection'.

I cannot begin to describe what additional knowledge hitherto unknown is still out there, regarding potential connections as the ones you have listed regarding the Pate's.

I suppose the salient point is there has been very little genealogical research, done within the overall framework of JFK research, if money was not a factor I would hire somebody to check these potential links, and there are dozens of them.

I will give a short list, to illustrate the point [last names only]

Abbott

Bishop

Crawford

Davis

Edwards

Hoke

Hyde

Jones

Kramer

Miller

Orlov

Paine

Powell

Rodriguez

Santana

Smith

Taylor

Walker

A JFK Geneaologist is, for the sake of argument, probably the single most underutilized aid to JFK Research I can think of.

Guest Mark Valenti
A JFK Geneaologist is, for the sake of argument, probably the single most underutilized aid to JFK Research I can think of.

That is a fascinating prospect, an unexplored area that would surely yield interesting results.

That is a fascinating prospect, an unexplored area that would surely yield interesting results.

The area most in need of a study like this is the very COMPLEX OSWALD FAMILY.

John Armstrong encountered many mysterious interconnections, marriages and

children in New Orleans, New York and other places. It would also be interesting

to study HIDELL.

Interesting also is the repeated use of Robert Edward Lee and variations of it

in the Oswald clan. The most understudied aspect of the assassination is the

participation of Robert Oswald. I believe that in some photos of "Lee" we are

really looking at Robert. There is also a theory that "Harvey" was an Oswald

relative.

Jack

Guest Mark Valenti

The area most in need of a study like this is the very COMPLEX OSWALD FAMILY.

Tom Purvis has been heading in this direction - not sure if he has drawn conclusions.

Robert, for a two month period earlier this year I was subscribed to a genealogy website for a project concerning a particular individual of interest. It was of some use, and I did get some results. Better and more accurate results may have been achieved if I'd been willing to spend extra to purchase key documents.

Robert, for a two month period earlier this year I was subscribed to a genealogy website for a project concerning a particular individual of interest. It was of some use, and I did get some results. Better and more accurate results may have been achieved if I'd been willing to spend extra to purchase key documents.

That is an area I am well aware of if the HSCA spent millions to 'solve the assassination,' and basically didn't, grass roots researchers have raided their collective 'war chest' too. I'm being facetious off course.

H.R. Bright atty was also RP

• 10 years later...