The Education Forum

the Holster

John Dolva

[quote name='John Dolva'....

Now back to the holster. Between the time that Lee filled the order form and mailed it which was how long? is it known? Let's say he sticks to his apparent pattern of doing things on the weekend and early in the week. He fills the form on Sunday and mails it on Monday. Sometime during that time he becomes aware of a preferable means of getting the holster. Did he have help in this?

Does the pages from which he got the ad from have an as yet unexplored source. Was it ever determined which magazine that ad came from? I've read that the WC couldn't determine it. Has anyone done so since?

Okay John,

I'll buy that the origins of the accessories, like the weapons, are fuzzy, but I believe that it's possible to learn the origins of the bullets, shells, clip, sling and holster, all hard evidence of something. I think there was also a second rifle sling - described as like a hippie's guitar strap - maybe acquired in Mexico? - that is replaced by the surplus sling.

And I'll also acknowledge the underrated significance of the US Postal Service as an intelligence network, and Mr. Holmes role in the whole affair, including the interrogation and I'll add - the timing of the murder of Oswald.

The magazine ads that reportedly sparked the purchase were extensively evaluated by the WC. I recall there was some concern about the magazines from the Crescent City Garage, but he had to have had the guns before he started hanging there.

The weapons were sent to a Dallas PO Box that Gary Taylor (DeMohrenschildt's in-law) may have had access to.

I'm sure the magazine ad that LHO sent in to Klines was dated to the issue of the mag it came from, but I too would like to know this detail.

BK

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'John Dolva'....

"Now back to the holster. Between the time that Lee filled the order form and mailed it which was how long? is it known? Let's say he sticks to his apparent pattern of doing things on the weekend and early in the week. He fills the form on Sunday and mails it on Monday. Sometime during that time he becomes aware of a preferable means of getting the holster. Did he have help in this?

Does the pages from which he got the ad from have an as yet unexplored source. Was it ever determined which magazine that ad came from? I've read that the WC couldn't determine it. Has anyone done so since?"

"Okay John,

I'll buy that the origins of the accessories, like the weapons, are fuzzy, but I believe that it's possible to learn the origins of the bullets, shells, clip, sling and holster, all hard evidence of something. I think there was also a second rifle sling - described as like a hippie's guitar strap - maybe acquired in Mexico? - that is replaced by the surplus sling.

And I'll also acknowledge the underrated significance of the US Postal Service as an intelligence network, and Mr. Holmes role in the whole affair, including the interrogation and I'll add - the timing of the murder of Oswald.

The magazine ads that reportedly sparked the purchase were extensively evaluated by the WC. I recall there was some concern about the magazines from the Crescent City Garage, but he had to have had the guns before he started hanging there.

The weapons were sent to a Dallas PO Box that Gary Taylor (DeMohrenschildt's in-law) may have had access to.

I'm sure the magazine ad that LHO sent in to Klines was dated to the issue of the mag it came from, but I too would like to know this detail.

BK"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

William, (or anyone) I wonder if you knw anything about this::

Here's another peculiarity.

"So I said, “Well, how much was it?” They didn’t have a number for the money order, but they had an amount. They had me looking for a money order issued in the amount of $18.95 which we couldn’t turn up. I had all the manpower and I wanted to examine all these stubs. I said, “Where did you get your information?”

“Out of a sporting goods magazine,” they told me.

So I gave one of my secretaries a $10 bill and sent her next door to Union Station which had one of those rotating things they used to have in railroad stations with postcards and magazines. I told her, “You buy every sporting magazine you can find over there and bring them back.” So she brought about six of them back, something like that, and I assigned each one of them to whoever was around, inspectors and secretaries, and took one myself. “Now you thumb through those,” I said, “and when you come to Klein’s Sporting Goods, let’s see what it looks like.”

It wasn’t but a couple of minutes that one of the girls hollered, “Here it is!” So I looked at it and down at the bottom of the ad it said that that particular rifle was such and such amount. But if it could not be carried on a person, such as a pistol, like a shotgun or a rifle, then it was $1.25 or $1.37 extra. Shipping charges were also added, so I added those together, took that figure and called around to all the different stations and the main office where these crews were checking stubs.

It wasn’t ten minutes that they hollered, “Eureka!” They had the stub!

I called it in immediately to the chief on the open line to Washington and said, “I’ve got the money order number that Oswald used to buy this gun, and according to the records up there, they had shipped it to this box that he had rented at the main office in Dallas at that time, which he later closed and opened another at the Terminal Annex because it was closer to the School Book Depository.”

"But if it could not be carried on a person, such as a pistol, like a shotgun or a rifle, then it was $1.25 or $1.37 extra."

this is actually incorrect, it's $1.50.

This might seem inconsequential until one notes that the railway express note for the pistol has a COD service charge for $1.27. However, Harry is here talking about day one search for the RIFLE order. And the railway express note does NOT have his signature as all of the evidence from his does.

(image)

So he's talking about a charge that it seems strange that he would at all know about. Similarly the money order amount matches the COD amount. What does this mean? When was the pistol purchase chased? Is this an indication that Harry knew about it before hand?

Also, this is from Oswalds property in DPD files.

(image)

Has anyone got a copy of this page that shows what has been cut out (?). Is it for a holster/sling? It looks from another ad that the amount for a holster should be $10.00.

Edited by John Dolva

"Curious that on this and another thread yesterday (holmes) people post and the post is not registered or 'bumped'. I had no idea Mark had posted until going to post. What mechanism in the forum software allows this 'bug'? Have people noticed other instances of this sort of thing? I know it's happened in the past and no upgrade or fix has as yet dealt with it. Perhaps it's a bandwidth, queing issue?"

and yet again it happens, so this is a bump post

there was a time when Oswald did not have a revolver, ammo nor a holster. He filled an order for revolver, ammo and holster, then crossed out the ammo and the holster, and was mailed just the revolver.

a time comes when he does have a holster.

where did this holster come from?

"The holster as well as the "sling" were in fact from a shoulder holster unit which was issued to US Army Air Corp Pilots, etc; during WWII. The shoulder holster strap had been removed and thereafter utilized to make the sling for the rifle, and the holster was kept separate." - Thank you, Tom. Is there a link to a report etc that confirms this as far as Oswalds holster/sling?

when?

Before he sent the order for the revolver?

He ordered the revolver in late January 1963.

The order for the rifle was from February published ad and the order was made in March.

I'm not necessarily making anything of this, just noting the facts as known.

Did he order the sling/holster combo? Did someone give it to him? Did he buy it over the counter somewhere? Did someone 'intimate' know about Oswald seeking weapons by late 62-early 63?

One reason for crossing off the holster on the Revolver order form is that he found a more economical way of getting the holster and the sling which he therefore anticipated getting for the rifle which he had yet to order.

Raymond, exactly why is partly curiosity regarding an apparent anomaly which may or may not in the process of finding the answer to, answer other questions.

Partly it's in relation to the 'mysterious dead letter envelope' Q256. It relates to an attempt to discern the contents of the 'paper bag' and envelope by studying the creases and shadows on the photo's of those items. I don't know if it's going to prove possible, (keeping in mind the ole' Rosarch tests) but a preliminary result is an outline of the holster in the envelope. Other possibilities are there, so it's partly a matter of getting a maximum number of match points and no contrary ones, and side by side with that enquiry tracking the possible contents.

Is there a link to a report etc that confirms this as far as Oswalds holster/sling?

It was discovered by a serious researcher long ago, who actually knew how to go about this work.

Since then, I have acquired a couple of the holsters and shoulder harness straps/slings at various gun shows and stores which specialized in Army Surplus.

It was verified by the markings found on the holster which LHO had, and this lead to the discovery that the sling was in fact the shoulder strap for the holster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JFK-Kennedy-Oswald-Ass...1QQcmdZViewItem