The Education Forum

3-D Zapruder

Guest Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti

Since there's so much speculation and effort going toward determining the veracity of the Z-film, I wonder if it would be helpful to create a 3-D version of it to see if the motion remains fluid, if any anomalies pop out, etc.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to take a quality version of the Z-film and transform it into a 3-D film?

Since there's so much speculation and effort going toward determining the veracity of the Z-film, I wonder if it would be helpful to create a 3-D version of it to see if the motion remains fluid, if any anomalies pop out, etc.

Is there anyone out there who knows how to take a quality version of the Z-film and transform it into a 3-D film?

Couldn't refrain -- Will we have to wear those cardboard glasses to see it?

Kathy

yup, the glasses are a must.

Here two consecutive frames are split in RGB color planes and the red from one and blue from the other selected.

The people and background aligned and the images combined.

I haven't got the glasses but perhaps the people and background wil have a 3d quality. If someone has the glasses they could look and comment? The limo has moved and would have to be aligned separately? Perhaps where one encounters significant problems with consecutive frames one may have an indication of an alteration.

I think if someoene took the time to do this then, yes a 3d version (with flaws of course) could be made. It's a matter of having the time to repeat the process for one pair about 500 times.

Edited by John Dolva

Guest Mark Valenti
yup, the glasses are a must.

Here two consecutive frames are split in RGB color planes and the red from one and blue from the other selected.

The people and background aligned and the images combined.

I haven't got the glasses but perhaps the people and background wil have a 3d quality. If someone has the glasses they could look and comment? The limo has moved and would have to be aligned separately? Perhaps where one encounters significant problems with consecutive frames one may have an indication of an alteration.

I think if someoene took the time to do this then, yes a 3d version (with flaws of course) could be made. It's a matter of having the time to repeat the process for one pair about 500 times.

John, thanks for this - I realize there are hundreds of frames - maybe just some key sequences??

Guest Mark Valenti

John, I tried it with the dumb glasses and it does seem to work - there's a fullness to the picture, albeit an extremely color-filled one. But still, I wonder if the 3-D may add something to the experience. In any event, thanks again for taking the time.

No worries. So it works. I just threw that together. Perhaps great care in alignment will make a difference. get a copy of Image Analyzer and plugins from here: http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/

use the split color planes, select the colors to use and align in other program then use IA to recombine. As you say for sequences, or perhaps also for focusing in on individuals or small parts of the frames?

Guest Mark Valenti
use the split color planes, select the colors to use and align in other program then use IA to recombine. As you say for sequences, or perhaps also for focusing in on individuals or small parts of the frames?

I've done almost twenty frames and it's not exactly a 3D image but there is some implied depth to it. I'll do some more then combine them, see if I can post it when I'm done.

Guest Mark Valenti
Some experimental anaglyphs:

Single frame - split, perspective adjusted to simulate:

Frank, very interesting to look at these in 3D. This may be a ghoulish exercise but then again it just might shed light on certain elements.

Some experimental anaglyphs:

[...]

Z312 + Z314 Anaglyph:

z312-z314anaglyph.jpg

312-314 hmm, interesting -- looks like a matte outline around the back of Kennedy's head where witness said a hole was located... These Groden images?

Edited by David G. Healy

[...]

312-314 hmm, interesting -- looks like a matte outline around the back of Kennedy's head where witness said a hole was located... These Groden images?

David,

This is from the MPI DVD. I've added a timestamp (based on 18.3 fps) above the frame number (time 0.0 = Z 133).

Edited by Frank Agbat