The Education Forum

Party's Over Continued

Chris I agree with you,

the moment that Bell catches Weigman on the steps filming the Hesters is a significant time reference, they do match but, I remember having trouble seeing exactly what the Hesters were doing at that point in Bell, so as to the exact moment I don't know but I agree with you again that Mr. Hester is just about to get up.

I think it's very clear that Wiegman put his camera on the ground when he reached the steps, that is the only reason the footage of the Hesters is so stable.

I see Weigman moving as you mentioned but he is not necessarily moving his camera, he could just be getting something from his pocket with his free hand,(I had him looking around to plan where he was going to go film next).

As far as what people say they did on that day, it doesn't always tally with what we see, he might think he remembers it like it was yesterday but the memory plays tricks on us all. Wiegman never planted his feet, he planted his ass & sat the camera on the concrete(IMO of course).

I asked Gary for his opinion on the timing of the first Weigman sequence this is what he said, I hope you find it helpful too. Thanks Gary.

36.5 seconds is correct. I got that figure by timing a 16mm print made from a print of the camera original film. I used an actual 16mm film timing counter, not a tape of the film.

Trask's other information, however, is incorrect. Wiegman stopped filming twice during that 36.5 seconds. While I don't have access to my original timing sheet, my video tape of the unedited, original film's first broadcast on NBC that day will suffice. This is what I find:

Sequence one runs 28 seconds, then #2 of the Newmans and #3 of DPD officer Clyde Haygood and Cheryl McKinnon are each about 4 seconds long. Groden's film is missing the first two seconds of the first sequence.

The unedited film begins around Z230, the frame showing the limo is roughly 12 seconds later (Z450 or lower), and Sitzman's legs appear 6.5 seconds after that (Z570 IF he had kept filming).

Since Zapruder stopped at Z486, the legs dropping over the side of the pedestal frames are about 5 seconds AFTER Mr. Z stopped filming. If you look closely at a good copy of the film, you should be able to see that the legs were horizontal at the top of the pedestal, and then in the next frame they dropped at an angle along the side. To me there's absolutely no doubt about what is seen.

Gary

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan,

Quote from Gary:

"Groden's film is missing the first two seconds of the first sequence."

If it's missing the first 2 seconds, it's missing more than that.

If you compare Groden's version to the version they showed on television 11-22-63, you will discover where the missing film is in the first sequence.

It is not at the beginning of Groden's film.

It is after approx. 13 seconds into the film that there is a change between the two.

That's why I supplied the spliced frame, previously.

After that point, for approx 86 frames, there is footage on the original, that is not on Groden's.

30 FPS at 86 frames= almost 3 seconds.

Groden's version is approx 33.5 seconds + almost 3 seconds of new original footage = approx 36.5 seconds.

chris

P.S.

I've just gone through this with both films side by side.

The animation shows a frame from Wiegman's footage shown on T.V. on 11-22-63, layered over the same frame from Groden's version.

Groden's version appears to be full framed.

Was it customary for television to enlarge and crop film footage for T.V. broadcasting. The same day.

As you can see from the animation, the 11-22-63 footage was enlarged approx.(123%W x 118%H) and cropped when comparing to a full frame from

Groden.

chris