The Education Forum

TOM WILSON

Forgive this rookie if previous threads have addressed the work of the elusive, problematic, late Tom Wilson.

Twice in Dallas, at ASK conferences, Wilson came forward to describe his computer-generated analyses of photographic material and present -- oh, how shall I put it? -- intriguing examples thereof.

I'll leave it to Jack White and others who have made photographic evidence the focus of their inquiries to comment on the technical and interpretational viabilities of his product and its proffered significance.

I'll simply provide one of many examples of his stunning claims as I quote him, just about verbatim, on his work on the Badgeman image:

"I can zoom into his eye, and from the 3D image I could prescribe eyeglasses."

At his final appearance in Dallas, Wilson claimed that he was working closely with the FBI on further development of his processes in general and the JFK evidence in particular.

Not long thereafter he passed, and now I'm led to believe that his son is guarding the work.

To my knowledge, Wilson's last public appearance was on a later volume of "The Men Who Killed Kennedy." Perhaps images from that production can be added to this thread?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive this rookie if previous threads have addressed the work of the elusive, problematic, late Tom Wilson.

Twice in Dallas, at ASK conferences, Wilson came forward to describe his computer-generated analyses of photographic material and present -- oh, how shall I put it? -- intriguing examples thereof.

I'll leave it to Jack White and others who have made photographic evidence the focus of their inquiries to comment on the technical and interpretational viabilities of his product and its proffered significance.

I'll simply provide one of many examples of his stunning claims as I quote him, just about verbatim, on his work on the Badgeman image:

"I can zoom into his eye, and from the 3D image I could prescribe eyeglasses."

At his final appearance in Dallas, Wilson claimed that he was working closely with the FBI on further development of his processes in general and the JFK evidence in particular.

Not long thereafter he passed, and now I'm led to believe that his son is guarding the work.

To my knowledge, Wilson's last public appearance was on a later volume of "The Men Who Killed Kennedy." Perhaps images from that production can be added to this thread?

Charles, I too saw Tom Wilson at the ASK conferences, and later talked with him and his Pittsburgh area neighbor and patron Cyril Wecht about his "process."

Wilson, who claimed to have worked in quality control at Pittsburgh steel mills, says that he had developed a photographic process that would refine the steel mix properly, but when applied to film, could penetrate layers of the photo images.

He claimed that if his process was used you actually see the bullets in the Zapruder film and could peal away redaction whiteout on censored documents.

When I requested that his work be verified by other scientists using the same techniques, he said he wanted to take it first before Congress and show them.

Wilson gave his ASK presentation at the same time as John Craig and company (The Man on the Grassy Knoll) claimed to have positively identified the Tramps - Holt, Rogers and Harilson.

While I think there are some fantastic photo interpetation techniques and facial recognition software being developed that should help us positively ID the tramps, the Man in Mexico City and the CIA Officers at the Ambassador, and maybe even someday show the bullets flying in the Zap film, I don't think Wilson's work will see the light of day if it isn't shared with others who understand the Gray-Scale photo layering techniques he says he developed.

As someone who was at once encouraged by such scientific wonders -[ his presentation shows a man standing next to a shooter on the grassy knoll with a reflector or something that indicated to Wilson that he was a spoter with a motion-speed indicator of some sort ] I no longer expect the case to be solved by science, but rather, by good old fashioned detective work.

I would apprecitae it if anybody who really understands what Wilson was trying to do, could rationally expain it here.

BK

Thanks, Bill. Your recollections are in line with my own.

Wilson's work cries out for peer review -- an unbiased scientific evaluation of the claims he made for his process. Absent same, it ain't worth a hill of Reilly coffee beans.

I'm reminded of the basic problem I have with forensic reconstructions of facial features from bare skulls. Where are the records of control experiments in which the skulls of known individuals are given "blind" to reconstructionists in order to test their skills?

Otherwise, as my dear friend George Michael Evica would answer the "science or detective work" question: Yes.

Since the approaches are neither mutually exclusive nor naturally antagonistic, I have the same degree of faith in each. And while I'm not yet ready to corral Wilson with the John Craigs of the world, the Wilson jury on which I'm foreman remains out.

Finally, I join you in the call for expert opinion of the sort we expect on this forum.

Charles

Tom Wilson was a retired vice president of U.S. Steel, in charge of quality control.

He was quite an inventive fellow with a creative mind. He invented something he

called a LIGHT VALVE for television optics which did not use a conventional lens.

His specialty was using Macintosh computers for quality control of steel products.

This included compilation of grayscale databases (256 shades of gray) and computer

programs using production line comparison with the database so that metals on an

assembly line could be rejected if the product did not match the data base. He became

intrigued with my work on the backyard photos being faked, and wondered whether

his grayscale technique would work on photos. He scanned the backyard photos,

and was able to strip away gray tones one at a time, confirming that various elements

were pasted together. Next he tackled the Moorman photo, and confirmed that

the badgeman image was genuine. He brought out many details, including detail

of the badge which showed an eagle on top of it. He claimed that his grayscale

comparison even revealed the eye color of the badgeman. He confirmed the man

in the hardhat standing behind badgeman. He claimed to find another man several

feet to badgeman's right who was holding a camera, and he was trying to identify

the kind of camera. After these two successful photo analyses, he decided to visit

Dealey Plaza and study other photos, including the Z film. As an engineer, he

took many measurements and photos, which enabled his scientific study of the

Zfilm. One of his earliest conclusions (I don't remember details) was that the

headshot took place near the steps instead of the 313 location. After studying

the Zfilm in detail, he tackled the autopsy photos. With the help of Cyril Wecht,

he videotaped autopsies and embalming and converted his videos to databases,

enabling him to show that some of the "autopsy photos" were AFTER EMBALMERS

WAX was applied, and thus could not have been shot at the autopsy. With the

assistance of Ted Kennedy, he gained access to secret files in the National

Archives, and saw classified photos of the REAL autopsy photos before they were

RETOUCHED. About this time he appeared in Nigel Turner's TMWKK. He was

in process of suing the government regarding his discoveries when he suffered

a fatal heart attack. He had confided many things to me because he said I was

the ONLY researcher he trusted, and who did not scoff at his work.

That basically is all I know. Tom was a very nice guy...but far too secretive

about his work for his own good, and ours.

Jack

It is late here and I'm tired....and will try to put down a few thoughts

briefly and come back to put down more in a day or so. I'm probably one of the or the only researcher here to have had some of my work and photos 'enhanced' by Tom Wilson. I'm looking at them here on my desk. I've never put them on the internet...and likely not about to. I know some about Tom's computer program and there is much I don't. He was too secretive. There are those who could help, but I can't [yet] pry information out of them. I'll not mention who they are here and now. He was approved by the courts as an expert witness in forensics, using his techniques on forensic materials. Cyril is too busy with his own problems to help much on that now. What to say...I had him use his program on the ultra-high-quality Cancellare photo I got via the back door. He never explained totally how his system worked and thus what one gets [or sees] is, yes, hard to verify. Basicly, he had his system look for spectral patterns characterisic of specific materials: glass, metal, wood, cloth, etc. He claimed he could even 'see'/distinguish variants of these. OK, I can 'see' these in his enhancements...but without the independant test on a non-controversial item who is to say if the new image is an artifact or a real 'enhancement' of what was there. My problem and I'm trying to 'lean' on those who could answer....thus far with no success. My gut feeling is his technique worked, but not to the level he claimed in all cases. I have some very interesing 'images' here I can overlay on the original Cancellare and thus orient what is where...but ....too tired to go into it all now...tomorrow....more.... Peter

I am familiar with Tom's work for Peter, because it was I who persuaded Tom to take a look. However, he was very secretive

with both Peter and me about what he found. He would only tell me that he found TWO MEN in the tree shadows. I never saw

his work on this, and frankly was doubtful, since darkroom enhancement of the area showed nothing. He would not show Peter

what he found either, and soon his relations with Peter soured, because I feel he thought Peter was being too "pushy" and impatient

for progress...plus he was busy building his lawsuit against the govt.

Jack

Not to be snide or flippant, but if Wilson's innovative JFK work had validity, and he was indeed "working closely with the FBI," that could explain why he died "not long thereafter."

I have trouble with the statement that he could actually see the bullets in the Z film. This reminds me of Howard Brennan's claim that his eyesight was so amazing that he could read a car license plate from blocks away.

Not to be snide or flippant, but if Wilson's innovative JFK work had validity, and he was indeed "working closely with the FBI," that could explain why he died "not long thereafter."

I have trouble with the statement that he could actually see the bullets in the Z film. This reminds me of Howard Brennan's claim that his eyesight was so amazing that he could read a car license plate from blocks away.

Ron...I have no idea where you got these ridiculous claims. I talked to Tom MANY times

and he never mentioned "working with the FBI"...in fact, the opposite, he believed they

were involved, and HE WAS SUING THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT when he died. I have

never heard him claim "seeing bullets" in the Zfilm. You have him confused with Robert

Morningstar, who proposed that the Bernouli effect (condensation trail) is seen in some

Zframes. I (nor Tom) ever took a position on this as far as I remember.

If you are going to make such claims, I suggest that you back them with documentation.

Jack

If you are going to make such claims, I suggest that you back them with documentation.

My sources are Charles Drago and William Kelly. Have you read the damn thread?

Gentlemen,

Permit me to correct the record I may inadvertantly have skewed.

When I last heard Wilson in Dallas, to the best of my recollection he stated that he was working with the FBI and Congress. But it is not unlikely that I may have conflated those elements of the USG.

So I'm inclined to take Jack at his word in re Wilson's animosity toward and suspicion of the Bureau. But the FBI memory -- creative or real -- lingers.

If transcripts/videos/audios of the ASK sessions in question exist, we all would benefit from their production here. Is Gary Shaw able -- or willing -- to help out?

Again, my error for stating with such certainty a factoid that is anything but certain in my memory. I assure you that such an occurance is the exception to my rule.

Hope this helps.

Charles

Gentlemen,

Permit me to correct the record I may inadvertantly have skewed.

When I last heard Wilson in Dallas, to the best of my recollection he stated that he was working with the FBI and Congress. But it is not unlikely that I may have conflated those elements of the USG.

So I'm inclined to take Jack at his word in re Wilson's animosity toward and suspicion of the Bureau. But the FBI memory -- creative or real -- lingers.

If transcripts/videos/audios of the ASK sessions in question exist, we all would benefit from their production here. Is Gary Shaw able -- or willing -- to help out?

Again, my error for stating with such certainty a factoid that is anything but certain in my memory. I assure you that such an occurance is the exception to my rule.

Hope this helps.

Charles

Gary Shaw has "retired" from JFK research for reasons of personal safety. He remains interested

but not active. Threats related to the Roscoe White story influenced his wife to persuade him to

move on.

My remembrance was that Wilson's lawsuit was against the Justice Department; I doubt that he

was working with the FBI.

Jack

Tom Wilson was a retired vice president of U.S. Steel, in charge of quality control.

He was quite an inventive fellow with a creative mind. He invented something he

called a LIGHT VALVE for television optics which did not use a conventional lens.

His specialty was using Macintosh computers for quality control of steel products.

This included compilation of grayscale databases (256 shades of gray) and computer

programs using production line comparison with the database so that metals on an

assembly line could be rejected if the product did not match the data base. He became

intrigued with my work on the backyard photos being faked, and wondered whether

his grayscale technique would work on photos. He scanned the backyard photos,

and was able to strip away gray tones one at a time, confirming that various elements

were pasted together. Next he tackled the Moorman photo, and confirmed that

the badgeman image was genuine. He brought out many details, including detail

of the badge which showed an eagle on top of it. He claimed that his grayscale

comparison even revealed the eye color of the badgeman. He confirmed the man

in the hardhat standing behind badgeman. He claimed to find another man several

feet to badgeman's right who was holding a camera, and he was trying to identify

the kind of camera. After these two successful photo analyses, he decided to visit

Dealey Plaza and study other photos, including the Z film. As an engineer, he

took many measurements and photos, which enabled his scientific study of the

Zfilm. One of his earliest conclusions (I don't remember details) was that the

headshot took place near the steps instead of the 313 location. After studying

the Zfilm in detail, he tackled the autopsy photos. With the help of Cyril Wecht,

he videotaped autopsies and embalming and converted his videos to databases,

enabling him to show that some of the "autopsy photos" were AFTER EMBALMERS

WAX was applied, and thus could not have been shot at the autopsy. With the

assistance of Ted Kennedy, he gained access to secret files in the National

Archives, and saw classified photos of the REAL autopsy photos before they were

RETOUCHED. About this time he appeared in Nigel Turner's TMWKK. He was

in process of suing the government regarding his discoveries when he suffered

a fatal heart attack. He had confided many things to me because he said I was

the ONLY researcher he trusted, and who did not scoff at his work.

That basically is all I know. Tom was a very nice guy...but far too secretive

about his work for his own good, and ours.

Jack

Jack, The only thing above 'new' to me is about Ted K helping Tom to get access! That is interesting!

To All, Yes, it was Jack White's kindness to convince Tom to work on some of my research. However after I sent it to him and he had agreed to my written agreement for their return, he told me 'the materials you sent me are too important to return, I need them for the lawsuit against the government.' From there, yes, a slight 'disagreement' between Tom and I arose...as I wanted both the photos back and the enhancements. He was willing to tell me on the phone what he thought he saw....and Jack is correct, but there was much more detail....but I have never gone public with the details as I can't back them up, yet. Am working on it. Sadly, Tom died and while his own family is not suspicious about his death, I keep my mind 'open' to the idea of it being more than coincidence or natural. But, as C. Wecht was a close friend of his if there was foul play, I would trust Cyril to say so and he has not to my direct question on this. It was not until after Tom's death I was able to get my materials and his notes and enhancements back. Sadly, however, his program and its exact parameters and methods are not available to me at this time. So, I have intriguing images and notes here by the computer, but have hesitated to say or do much with them at this time. Yet. I do feel that Tom's techniques were powerful and groundbreaking. I do not assume, however, that ALL of his claims should be taken as fact. I think some will be proven to be correct.

What is needed is to find out exactly what he filed or planned for his lawsuit. Jack, do you know if it was filed and is public information and if so, where and what court? If not, who was his lawyer handling it? In the Cancellare photo Tom Wilson saw two operational persons in the shadows of the tree [where Plumlee has always said he and a buddy were standing]. Further, he said he found a rifle-shaped metalic object in or near the parking lot of the South Knoll. He said the object in the hands of one of the men in the 

shadows matched the communication devices seen elsewhere in the

Plaza. There are other things he said about the photo, but I will stop here.I just sent yet another email to someone who could [but to date has not] helped to clarify this entire matter. Jack's statement that Tom Wilson was too secretive for his and our benefit is more than true. It is a sad fact that we know little and need to know much more. To my knowledge there are two complete repositories of Tom's work. Sadly, however, neither to my knowledge are active and no one is moving his work forward and/or allowing what was done to be verified. A very sad state of affairs for all of us and perhaps the Truth. Peter

Below, a Wilson image. As you can see they are not 'standard' visual images. I am however able to size and overlap them with the standard photo portion from which it is derived [don't ask, 

feel it best not to disclose at this time]

and from that one can tell some things and see some new things....[especially about the materials the items reflecting the light were made of] but until I get [or can derive - working on it, but highly complex - any math PhDs out there?] the color/shading 'codes', the information is incomplete and not ready for presentation. What you are looking at IF real - and not an artifact of his technique - could be highly significant! FWIW 

I have many other such images done by Tom Wilson on several portions of several photos.More exist that I don't have and they should not be languishing at the two points of deposit colle

cting dust.

A few more points:

Tom several times told me that he made two copies of all his research and

deposited everything with two trusted friends in case anything ever happened

to him. I always assumed one of them might be Cyril Wecht, with whom he

worked very closely. I assumed the other might be his lawyer. And of course

his family retained the original work. BUT ALL OF IT IS NOW UNACCESSIBLE.

Speaking of lawyers, I know for sure that ONE of his lawyers was Brad Kizzia

of Dallas. I have no details of his lawsuit, but he always assured me that I

would be present in Washington for it, since much of his work was an extension

of my studies, and my backyard and badgeman studies would be used as

an introduction to his computer analysis.

I tried several times to get him to be specific about his technique, but he was

always vague. He told me that ANYONE CAN DO IT and that it used OFF-THE-SHELF

SOFTWARE and the secret was KNOWING HOW TO USE THE SOFTWARE.

I did not fully understand his process or results, and I felt that he may have

sometimes MISINTERPRETED his own findings. Some of his work, such as he

showed in TMWKK of the head wound from the Zfilm were truly remarkable,

but since I believe the Zfilm is fabricated, I found this work puzzling.

To me, the biggest bombshell in his research is his revelation to me that

through Teddy Kennedy (through Burke Marshall) he got a letter of access

to see certain classified files in the national archives which included THE

AUTOPSY PHOTOS BEFORE THEY WERE RETOUCHED. He was allowed to

view them, but not to copy them or even make notes. But apparently

Teddy knows about them and somebody at the archives knows about

them. I only wonder if Tom's files have something on this.

If I remember anything else, I will add it.

Jack

To me, the biggest bombshell in his research is his revelation to me that

through Teddy Kennedy (through Burke Marshall) he got a letter of access

to see certain classified files in the national archives which included THE

AUTOPSY PHOTOS BEFORE THEY WERE RETOUCHED.

Well I could comment on that, but I won't. I'll leave well enough alone. (I don't have any "documentation.")

Jack,

If Wilson did receive such authorization to view secret archives materials, then directly related official and/or private correspondence may exist to corroborate the claim.

Would the Kennedy family have the authority to permit access to "classified" materials at the Archive? Not to split hairs, but might we be talking about photos and other holdings owned by the family, who retain the rights to grant and restrict access?

Wilson's claim that he was working with "Congress" put me in mind of Knudsen's claim (reported by a surviving family member, if memory serves) that he testified and reviewed photos before what to most of us remains an otherwise unknown Congressional investigative body.

Charlie

For what they're worth, two recollections of Wilson in Dallas:

1. One of his wide-frame views of Badgeman shows, to the "shooter's" left, a figure apparently wearing a hardhat and peering through a hand-held object that seemed part camera, part binocular. I vividly recall thinking that the figures seemed hand-drawn -- and crudely at that. Or perhaps what I took for artwork, if you will, were byproducts of Wilson's processes.

2. Wilson was a grand provocateur -- not quite in GPH's league, but gifted nonetheless. He told us that he'd shared some of his work with Oliver Stone -- in particular, photos of the so-called sniper's window. "I told Stone," he said, "that he won't like what I found."

I must say that I'm pleased to have opened this can of worms. I don't see anything counterproductive coming from renewed interest in Wilson's oeuvre -- wherever and whatever it is.

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago