The Education Forum

Evelyn Lincoln's letter of JFK murder suspects sells for $2900

From the Replies section:

"In fact, Richard Nixon, on tape, said that he and Johnson were both ambitious and wanted to be president, but Nixon says, '...but I wasn't willing to kill for it.'

Does anyone know of any such statement on the Nixon tapes?

It's not on the Nixon tapes, but it is attributed to Nixon by several people, notably Roger Stone. I have come to believe that Nixon did indeed say this and thought LBJ was the ringleader of the assassination.

Edited by Brian Schmidt

I've come to suspect that the endgame in the assassination was to restore Nixon to the White House, a move that was regretted and reversed after Nixon's first term. Nixon, of course, acquiesced, to say the least, but would not have originated the plot. Among Barry G. and Nelson R., Richard N. was the electable Republican who (it was perceived) would play ball with his superiors. Developing a fan base among Bebe Rebozo and Howard Hughes out of insecurity and the need for power and cash helped destroy him.

Considering its historical importance, and the awful hour of oppression and fear it was written in, the Evelyn Lincoln letter should have fetched much more. But our society consigns such things to "paranoia."

Edited by David Andrews