The Education Forum

Harry D Holmes

Years ago I noticed some US Naval figures with the same last name

of Holmes, namely

W. J. Holmes, author of Double Edged Secrets US Naval Intelligence Operation in the Pacific during World War II

My interest in this took on a new angle when I discovered that W. J. Holmes dedicated the aforementioned book

to.......well, here is how it is written

To the memory of Joseph John Rochefort

1899-1976

Captain U S Navy

Call it a coincidence, but Joe Rochefort was as big in the cryptological field as just about anybody

except William Friedman, and I am sure some sharp minds are familiar with John B Hurt - cryptographer

PURPLE CODE, JN-25, et cetera

See

http://worldwar2hist.../Rochefort.html

or try How OP-20-G Got Rid of Joe Rochefort

http://findarticles....07/ai_n8906181/

Which makes me think of Harry Holmes [aka Confidential Informant #7] genealogy.....

See The Four Faces of Harry Holmes

http://www.jfklancer.com/Holmes.html

Basically, the following is for all the Tom Scully's of the world.......

Holmes Listings from Personalities of the South 1971 Edition - J T Vickers

Anita Gay Holmes b 11/28/45 Georgetown, Texas; Home Economist Of The Year for Kappa Lambda Kappa 1967;

Charles D Holmes b 6/4/1912 Mount Calm, Texas; 506 Brook Hollow Drive, Port Lavaca, Texas

Ivan Coyle Holmes b 8/6/1936 Edmond, Oklahoma; Recepient Parriot Fellowship

J.W. Holmes b 2/18/1930 Paluxy, Texas; Joshua Booster Club

Loren Barnes Holmes b 7/27/1937 Mineola, Texas; Volunteer worker Amer. Cancer Society

William Almond Holmes b 9/8/1907 Clinton, North Carolina 309 Simmons Ave, 32 degree Mason

William Thomas Holmes b 8/20/1907 Orange, Virginia; Military: AUS World War II

Julius C. Holmes

AKA Julius Cecil Holmes

Born: 24-Apr-1899

Birthplace: Pleasanton, KS

Died: 15-Jul-1968

Location of death: Washington, DC

Cause of death: unspecified

Race or Ethnicity: White

Sexual orientation: Straight

Nationality: United States

Executive summary: US Ambassador to Iran, 1961-65

Military service: Kansas National Guard (three years); US Army (Intelligence, brigadier general,

Resigned from the State Department to become Vice President of the New York World's Fair, in charge of all governmental relations, 1937-40.

Father: James Holmes

Mother: Lou Trussell Holmes

Son:

University: University of Kansas (1917-22)

US Ambassador to Iran (1961-65)

US Consul General in Hong Kong (1959-61)

US State Department Special Asst. to the Secretary of State (1956-59)

US State Department Diplomatic agent & Consul General, Tangier, Morocco (1955-56)

US State Department Special Asst. to the Asst. Secy. for European Affairs (1954-55)

US State Department Minister-Counselor, London, England (1948-54)

US State Department Assistant Secretary for Administration & Personnel (1945)

US State Department Asst. Chief, Division of Protocol & Conferences (1934-37)

US State Department Third Secretary, Bucharest, Romania (1930-34)

US State Department Vice Consul, Tirana, Albania (1929-30)

US State Department Vice Consul, Izmir, Turkey (1926-29)

US State Department Vice Consul, Marseille, France (1925-26)

TWA VP (1945-46)

General Mills South America (1940-42)

Member of the Board of National Tanker Corporation (1945-48)

Conspiracy to defraud US service ships (charges dropped 1954)

Legion of Merit

French Legion of Honor

Commander of the British Empire

See

http://www.museumstu...ulius_C._Holmes

LTC Besby Frank Holmes

Birth: Dec. 5, 1917

San Francisco

San Francisco County

California, USA

Burial: Golden Gate National Cemetery

San Bruno, San Mateo County

California, USA

Death: Jul. 23, 2006

Greenbrae, Marin County, California, USA

United States Air Force Officer. A native of San Francisco, California, Holmes joined the United States Army Air Corps in 1941 and was sent to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii for training and gunnery school. On December 7, 1941, when Japanese planes attacked Pearl Harbor, Holmes was amongst the men who attempted to fight back, and at one point managed to get a plane up into the air. In 1942, Holmes was assigned to the 67th Pursuit Squadron and took part in the Guadalcanal campaign. In 1943, Holmes was assigned to an airfield at Guadalcanal when an intercepted Japanese message revealed that Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, commander of the Japanese Pacific Fleet and planner of the Pearl Harbor attack, was on a plane conducting an inspection tour passing nearby Guadalcanal. On April 18, 1943, then Lieutenant Holmes was among the sixteen pilots sent to intercept Admiral Yamamoto, who was with his staff on board two medium bombers. The squadron intercepted the Japanese planes and in the following battle, the bomber carrying Admiral Yamamoto was shot down either by Captain Thomas Lanphier or 1st Lieutenant Rex Barber, while Lieutenant Holmes shot down the second. By the end of World War Two, Holmes had been awarded the Navy Cross and was honored as an ace with five credited kills. he remained in the military serving both in the Korea and Vietnam Wars until his retirement in 1968 at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Over his career, he would be awarded the Navy Cross, three Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Legion of Merit and the Air Medal.

D. Brainerd Holmes resigns

See JFK Timeline June 1963

http://www.jfklibrar...y/1963/June.htm

Raytheon's Belmont operation was re-formed in 1954, but two years later all radio and television operations were sold to the Admiral Corporation. Raytheon continued, however, to develop new appliances, such as the Radarange microwave oven. In 1956 Charles Adams hired Harold S. Geneen, a highly innovative and dynamic manager, as executive vice-president. Three years later, however, Geneen left Raytheon to become chief executive of ITT. Richard E. Krafve (who once headed the Ford Motor Company's Edsel project) enjoyed only a short tenure as Geneen's successor; he disagreed frequently with Adams and was apparently unable to gain the respect of engineers. Thomas L. Phillips, manager of the Missile Division, replaced Krafve.

In 1956 and 1957, Raytheon and Minneapolis-Honeywell jointly operated a computer company called Datamatic. Raytheon soon sold its interest to Honeywell when Datamatic failed to compete effectively against IBM. Raytheon's joint venture projects with Italian companies continued to expand, however. D. Brainerd Holmes, a former director of the American manned space flight program, joined Raytheon in 1963 to manage the company's military business, reporting to Phillips.

See http://www.fundingun...ny-History.html

Holmes, Brainard Source: Encyclopedia Astronautica (http://www.astronautix.com/):'Holmes, Brainard' Holmes, D Brainard (1921-) American engineer and senior manager, at Bell 1945-1953; RCA, 1953-1961;

Deputy Associate Administration for Manned Space Flight at NASA, 1961-1963. Thereafter at Raytheon 1963-1982, and Beechcraft from 1982. D. Brainard Holmes was involved in the management of high technology efforts in private industry and the federal government. He was on the staff of Bell Telephone Labs, 1945-1953, and at RCA, 1953-1961. He then became deputy associate administration for Manned Space Flight at NASA, 1961-1963. Thereafter he assumed a series of increasingly senior positions with Raytheon Corp., and since 1982 chairman of Beech Aircraft.

AKA: Holmes, D Brainard.

First date: 1921-01-01.

Vague: 1921.

END

a name from this books index

Rear Admiral R S Holmes Eleventh Naval District

see below

Other sources I've consulted have talked about how all the fishermen from Terminal Island were evacuated since they were of Japanese ancestry, but the report goes into some information on just how chaotic and disorganized this process was.

"On Tuesday, February 10, 1942, posers were put up on Terminal Island by Department of Justice order, warning all Japanese aliens that the deadline for their departure was the following Monday,February 16. However, on February 11, without warning, a Presidential order transferred Terminal Island to the jurisdiction of the Navy, and Secretary Knox instructed Rear Admiral R.S. Holmes, Commandant of the 11th Naval District in San Diego to notify all residents of Terminal Island that their dwellings would be condemned and that they would be evicted within 30 days. This arrangement automatically canceled the orders of the Department of Justice...Before a week had passed, the residents of Terminal Island were ordered to be out within 48 hours of notification."

Rear Admiral R S Holmes Eleventh Naval District was a Director of Naval Intelligence

In August, 1934, Lail T. Kane, a marine surveyor for the County of Los Angeles, and an officer of American Legion Navy Post 278, appeared before a Special Committee on Un-American Activities of the U. S. House of Representatives. Initiating an ongoing crusade , Kane charged that Japanese fishing vessels then operating out of San Diego and San Pedro could easily be converted into mine layers and torpedo boats within from three to six hours, and then be utilized to hinder the operation of the United States Pacific Fleet.23

With the movement revived, and strong backing from the State American Legion, Senate Bill 444 was introduced into the legislature at the 1935 general session. Although the bill never made it out of committee, it did survive long enough to receive national attention when Representative John Dockweiler of Los Angeles brought the matter up before the House Military Affairs Committee, testifying that Japanese and Japanese owned fishing boats in California were a military threat to the United States.24

In May 1938 Commander Ellis M. Zacharias arrived in San Diego to take up his duties as Intelligence Officer for the Eleventh Naval District, an area he described in a 1946 work as:

. . . the very hub of the wheel of Japanese espionage . . . [an] exceptionally important outpost embracing a large Japanese population and in a position to watch Japanese espionage activities off shore centered in the fishing fleets in which scores of Japanese sailed our seas.25

On the basis of this and similar observations found throughout his book it is apparent that Zacharias had arrived holding the pre-disposed belief that the Japanese fishing community in San Diego was thoroughly infiltrated by agents of the Imperial Japanese Government.26

About this same time the Abe family recalls the navy began to show a distinct interest in their fishing operation. Eventually pressure from the local naval authorities compelled the company to move their offices from the West Santa Fe Wharf to a point further down the bay at the San Diego Marine Construction Company then located at the foot of Sampson Street, and finally, by 1940 they were forced to move off the bay front altogether. There is, in fact, evidence of a direct correlation between Commander Zacharias's arrival in San Diego, and the fact that naval intelligence became highly visible in the local Japanese community.27

In like manner, the intensity and tone of Lail Kane's anti-Japanese campaign became increasingly vocal after 1939. This appears to be more than simple coincidence, and may be explained in part by the fact that Kane apparently was also a naval reserve officer assigned to the Intelligence Branch at this same time. In 1940 the Los Angeles daily Rafu Shimpo printed a copy of a letter from Rear Admiral R. S. Holmes, then Director of Naval Intelligence, to United States Senator Sheridan Downey stating: ". . . there is a Reserve Officer [of Naval Intelligence] named Lail T. Kane of Los Angeles . . . ."28

from

http://www.bookmice....1946report.html

www.sdrm.org/history/sda/spbulletin/1942.html

www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/82fall/offensive.htm

another Admiral Holmes

Rear Admiral Michael L. Holmes

United States Navy

Rear Admiral Michael L. Holmes is a Native American Lumbee Indian, born in Lumberton, North Carolina. He attended Pembroke State University, located in North Carolina, graduating in 1972 with a degree in Mathematics.

Rear Admiral Holmes entered the Navy through Aviation Officer Candidate School and was commissioned in December of 1973. He earned his pilot wings in November of 1974.

His flying tours include assignments in Patrol Squadron TWENTY-FOUR (2 tours) and Patrol Squadron THIRTY (5 tours) located in Jacksonville, Florida, and Patrol Squadron TEN in Brunswick, Maine. Additionally, he served as an Exchange Officer with Canada's 415 Squadron in Greenwood, Nova Scotia. At sea, Rear Admiral Holmes served as the Communications Officer aboard USS AMERICA (CV66), home ported in Norfolk, Virginia. His command tours include Patrol Squadrons TWENTY-FOUR and THRITY and, after being selected for flag rank, Patrol and Reconnaissance Force, United States Pacific Fleet, located at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. He most recently served as Commander, Fleet Air Mediterranean; Commander, Maritime Surveillance and Reconnaissance Forces, United States SIXTH Fleet; Commander, Naval Surface Group Mediterranean; and Commander, Maritime Air Allied Naval Forces South; located in Naples, Italy.

Shore assignments include duty at the Bureau of Naval Personnel as Director, Officer Promotions, Appointments and Enlisted Advancements, and later as Assistant Aviation Commander Detailer. Assigned to the Pentagon, he served as Congressional Liaison and Air ASW Officer for the Secretary of Navy in the Office of Program Appraisal.

His awards include the Legion of Merit (3 awards), Meritorious Service Medal (3 awards), Navy Commendation Medal (2 awards), Meritorious Unit Commendation (2 awards), Battle "E" Award, and National Defense Service Medal.

http://www.bechtelja...ve_holmes.shtml

Naval Obituaries

Anthony B Holmes

Education

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

United States Merchant Marine Academy

Additionally, I have served as fleet manager for CompUSA and transportation officer for the US Air Force, and hold a

master's degree in aerospace science from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University.

Sincerely,

Anthony W. B. Holmes.

Holmes Groups

USMMA

Kings Point Coast Guard Club

http://www.linkedin....olmes/7/b39/936

excerpt The Very Best Men by Evan Thomas

The concern was most strongly felt in the Office of Special Operations (OSO), ... "We thought they were a bunch of cowboys," said George Holmes, ...

also

[PDF]

Army Air Force Enlisted Liaison Pilots in World - AFEHRI

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

noncommissioned officer, a staff sergeant, flying a liaison plane, a Stinson L-5 ... When George Holmes retired in 1957, the Air Force enlisted pilot era ended.

afehri.maxwell.af.mil/Documents/pdf/liaison.pdf - Similar

TO BE CONTINUED

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some earlier threads discussing Mr. Harry D. Holmes include:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6888 "Harry and the Z film"

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4378&st=30 (Several posts on Holmes in the Oswald thread starting at the bottom of this page)

(If I remember correctly, there were a couple photos of him posted on the forum a while back as well which I didn't find in a quick search.)

Other links of interest:

http://karws.gso.uri.edu/jfk/history/the_deed/Sneed/Holmes.html Harry D. Holmes, U.S. Postal Inspector

http://www.jfklancer.com/Holmes.html The Four Faces of Harry D Holmes by Ian Griggs

Some years ago I got an e-mail from someone asking me if (in context it seemed like a fishing expedition, this person had already displayed certain 'detective skills' in other communications) asking me if I had come across any reason to think that Harrys origins were not as research indicates but something different entirely. I replied asking for more information and have had no reply.

I think it is particularly important to consider exactly what was Harrys employment job description and the name and background of his immediate superior/s.

In fact even to determine what their own actual connections and allegiances were.

I have been encouraged to do a HDH topic on a number of occasions stretching back some years, but to be quite frank, without spelling it out i so many words, I've deflected the idea becase I believe it will belong in the home run, last innings. This is a premptive strike given the recent sharp divisions that have brought highly promising threads to a screeching halt. It's up to members to undo that and I doubt that will happen, rather, it will be nurtured. (no, it's not half empty nor half full, it's botn and it's a furfy to start with)

Guest Tom Scully

Robert and John, it seems Larry A. Sneed is the source for Holmes's background?

Holmes and Linnie Mae and her brother Wesley Frazier seem indispensable witnesses for the version of events maintained by "serious" people. I spent last evening trying to tie Dave Perry to Wesley's wife, Joan Perry of Roxton, TX, but the details in the obits of Joan's father, RT Perry, and Dave's father, Joseph L Perry, did not overlap at all. I've not been able to find any info on the background of Linnie and Wesley's hospitalized step-father, unknown Williams, husband of Essie Mae....

...But ten years later, he is officially presented as a hyperactive sleuth, seemingly everywhere; even gleaning the devious inner workings of the assassin, Oswald's mind!

Also, even though the SSDI search result indicates Holmes was born in "Indian Territory" in 1905, and died in 1989,

I suspect he was as much as ten years older. The info in the post I've replied to states he is in Kansas by 1917, at age 12. The 1953 article indicates he was working at the post office since 1924, when he was age 19.

If he was the son of Harry Holmes and Victoria Labelle of Coal County, Oklahoma, and for now, I can only strongly suspect that he was...census records of 1900 and 1910 show that Harry Holmes, Jr. was born in 1895. The 1920 census record show that his parents and younger siblings are still where they were in 1910, but son Harry and his brother Charles, born in 1897, are no longer listed in 1920.

If I can verify this, then Holmes was 68 in 1963 and nearly 72 when he retired. Was he working past standard retirement age? Is the birth year in his SS death record a clerical error, or a result of a falsification.

correction, not coffeyville but coffey county : LeRoy Reporter, COFFEY COUNTY, KANSAS

http://skyways.lib.k...s1905_1909.html

from the Leroy Reporter, August 21, 1908

Accidentally Shot

James McClaskey, ten years old son of Mr. and Mrs. Bert McClaskey of Gridley, was accidentally shot and killed by a playmate this morning about nine o'clock. He was at the Holmes home, three miles west of Gridley, and was playing bear with Harry Holmes, a lad about fourteen years of age. The McClaskey boy was down on his hands and knees when the Holmes boy pointed a shotgun at him and fired. The load struck him back of the left ear and came out at the mouth, and death resulted instantly. The report is that the children were alone at the time of the distressing accident, and it is supposed that the Holmes boy thought that the gun "wasn't loaded." The body was brought to Gridley and taken to the home and Mr. McClaskey, who is a rural mail carrier, was notified of this accident. Relatives have been telegraphed for, but the hour of the funeral has not yet been set.

It is an affair much to be regretted, and the parents have the fullest sympathy of the many friends.

--Democrat.

edit add : This can't be the HDH. It places his age at about 69 in 63.

''does anyone think it is reasonable to suspect that Truman distributed this timely article to deflect suspicion away from the actual principles behind the plot to kill JFK, and then Oswald'' Oh yes, Tom, I do. I was waiting for you to get around to it :) . The reasons are many: political. I just wrote something that took a lot out of me energy wise, so I'll elaborate later.

(this is not meant as a diversion, but one of the minor and most iffy points would be that Harry D Holmes' family MAY have had a near direct Truman, in-law connection.)

Holmes and Linnie Mae and her brother Wesley Frazier seem indispensable witnesses for the version of events maintained by "serious" people. I spent last evening trying to tie Dave Perry to Wesley's wife, Joan Perry of Roxton, TX, but the details in the obits of Joan's father, RT Perry, and Dave's father, Joseph L Perry, did not overlap at all. I've not been able to find any info on the background of Linnie and Wesley's hospitalized step-father, unknown Williams, husband of Essie Mae....

...But ten years later, he is officially presented as a hyperactive sleuth, seemingly everywhere; even gleaning the devious inner workings of the assassin, Oswald's mind!

Also, even though the SSDI search result indicates Holmes was born in "Indian Territory" in 1905, and died in 1989,

I suspect he was as much as ten years older. The info in the post I've replied to states he is in Kansas by 1917, at age 12. The 1953 article indicates he was working at the post office since 1924, when he was age 19.

If he was the son of Harry Holmes and Victoria Labelle of Coal County, Oklahoma, and for now, I can only strongly suspect that he was...census records of 1900 and 1910 show that Harry Holmes, Jr. was born in 1895. The 1920 census record show that his parents and younger siblings are still where they were in 1910, but son Harry and his brother Charles, born in 1897, are no longer listed in 1920.

If I can verify this, then Holmes was 68 in 1963 and nearly 72 when he retired. Was he working past standard retirement age? Is the birth year in his SS death record a clerical error, or a result of a falsification.

correction, not coffeyville but coffey county : LeRoy Reporter, COFFEY COUNTY, KANSAS

Accidentally Shot

James McClaskey, ten years old son of Mr. and Mrs. Bert McClaskey of Gridley, was accidentally shot and killed by a playmate this morning about nine o'clock. He was at the Holmes home, three miles west of Gridley, and was playing bear with Harry Holmes, a lad about fourteen years of age. The McClaskey boy was down on his hands and knees when the Holmes boy pointed a shotgun at him and fired. The load struck him back of the left ear and came out at the mouth, and death resulted instantly. The report is that the children were alone at the time of the distressing accident, and it is supposed that the Holmes boy thought that the gun "wasn't loaded." The body was brought to Gridley and taken to the home and Mr. McClaskey, who is a rural mail carrier, was notified of this accident. Relatives have been telegraphed for, but the hour of the funeral has not yet been set.

It is an affair much to be regretted, and the parents have the fullest sympathy of the many friends.

--Democrat.

''does anyone think it is reasonable to suspect that Truman distributed this timely article to deflect suspicion away from the actual principles behind the plot to kill JFK, and then Oswald'' Oh yes, Tom, I do. I was waiting for you to get around to it :) . The reasons are many: political. I just wrote something that took a lot out of me energy wise, so I'll elaborate later.

(this is not meant as a diversion, but one of the minor and most iffy points would be that Harry D Holmes' family MAY have had a near direct Truman, in-law connection.)

Good Stuff.....

Larry Sneed is the author of No More Silence; A collection of interviews of major Dallas Police Department officials, officers and investigators; eyewitnesses to the assassination

and those who handled the Oswald transfer. Holmes interview is on page 351

It is not a favorite book of mine, due to the fact that Sneed played the neutral interviewer; ie there are no hard questions, nowhere is this more apparent than in the interviews of Harry Holmes, James Hosty, Paul Bentley and Joe Cody, and those are just the "really frustrating interviews."

See

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

There is a hell of a lot in Dallas History that still hasn't reached the Forum or the Internet per se.

An example is the following...

In the November 25, 1946 issue of the

Dallas Morning News Classified Section II page Nine

a classified ad in the Seeking Employment section read

CRYPTOGRAPHER

Experienced in ciphers and codes. Oxford University trained.

3 Years Army Intelligence service, Single age 25, free to travel,

would like connections with import or exporting company.

Box 80-N Dallas News

Edited by Robert Howard

Accidentally Shot

--Democrat.

Good Stuff.....

Larry Sneed is the author of No More Silence; A collection of interviews of major Dallas Police Department officials, officers and investigators; eyewitnesses to the assassination

and those who handled the Oswald transfer. Holmes interview is on page 351

It is not a favorite book of mine, due to the fact that Sneed played the neutral interviewer; ie there are no hard questions, nowhere is this more apparent than in the interviews of Harry Holmes, James Hosty, Paul Bentley and Joe Cody, and those are just the "really frustrating interviews."

See

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

There is a hell of a lot in Dallas History that still hasn't reached the Forum or the Internet per se.

An example is the following...

In the November 25, 1946 issue of the

Dallas Morning News Classified Section II page Nine

a classified ad in the Seeking Employment section read

CRYPTOGRAPHER

Experienced in ciphers and codes. Oxford University trained.

3 Years Army Intelligence service, Single age 25, free to travel,

would like connections with import or exporting company.

Box 80-N Dallas News

re age: If so, HDH perjured himself right at the start of his official testimony. Having read just about everything I can get my hands on on this guy, overall I'm left with an impression of an intricate enogma. The deatils are too numerous to go into now but they seem to stem from his origins right to his death. One of the most stark peculiarities is the enormous latitude he, if he was who he said, was given by everyone, including researchers who even in the later part of the 20'th century seemed to treat him as an an unimpeachable source. So, naturally I wonder what was it about HDH that gave him this ability to hide in plain sight and never be questioned critically or objectively about the numerous glaring inconsistencies in his reported statements.

He was just a Postal Inspector!

Or was he?

I suspect the answers lie with the CIA, the FBI, and his superiors in Washington and with persons of interest in New Orleans.

Guest Tom Scully

Robert, I took the 1946 Dallas Morning News classified ad you posted as a challenge to identify the 25 years old, Oxford educated army intelligence cryptographer. I did not realize that numerous Americans were sent through the British GCCS, associated with Oxford. This seems to make search results less specific than I anticipated.

I agree.

Harry had too much lee way imo. He was allowed to present copies and retain originals (as Ian Griggs points out in Four Faces of Harry Holmes). He, contrary to PO regulations, which he lied about, destroyed evidence, and, as you point out, presented false evidence. (Apart from that he was significantly instrumental in delaying the last Oswald interview, to which he was invited by Fritz. He imo was much more than a Postal Inspector, and his freedom of movement through the DPD was unquestioned, like he could log out the key from evidence, and was intimate with various agencies, and they with him. Plus there's much more, like his involvement in various films, him wandering about the Plaza, picking up and discarding a bone fragment, which to an ex dentist student who should be able to recognise bone and its significance is odd, which begs the question what he was looking for, and for this and more he slipped through the cracks for decades. He had a very good memory but conveniently forgot important things for which there seem no reason for him to forget, except to hide something, and his dishonesty is a clearly established fact as is his strange untouchability and deference to in the Presidential Comission (otherwise referred to as the Warren Comission) hearings).

John, have you read "Postal Inspector David McDermott's" 1989 Holmes interview, is it available, or maybe it is necessary to contact Posner?

Case closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the assassination of JFK

Gérald L. Posner - 1993 - 607 pages - Snippet view

"We went, I believe, an hour overtime with the interrogation, but we tried to finish by 10:00 . . ,nl Holmes remembered that near the end of the session, Chief IRR Curry "was beating on the door."

The questioning lasted more than one and a half hours and did not end until shortly after 11:00 AM189 Ruby parked across the street from the Western Union station, only one block from police headquarters, near 1 1:05....

188. Interview of Harry Holmes by postal inspector David McDermott, June 29, 1989, p. 3 (unpublished transcript).

189. Testimony of Forrest Sorrels, WC Vol. XIII, p. 63; interview of Harry Holmes by postal inspector David McDermott, June 29, 1989, p. 2. 190. Testimony of Doyle Lane, WC Vol. XIII, p. 226. 191. Ibid., p....

What luck, that David McDermott had the good fortune to interview Harry Holmes just 14 weeks before the opportunity was lost forever as a consequence of Holmes's 14 October, 1989, death?

Could there still have been a government "prop job" going on, with regard to weak link, Harry Holmes, as late as in 1989 via postal inspector McDermott, followed up by distribution of the contents of that 1989 interview, by government sponsored entity, Posner? We should seek to find if there was common knowledge in the research community that could have led Posner to seek out David Mcdermott's "unpublished manuscript"....or not.

Edited by Tom Scully

Robert, I took the 1946 Dallas Morning News classified ad you posted as a challenge to identify the 25 years old, Oxford educated army intelligence cryptographer. I did not realize that numerous Americans were sent through the British GCCS, associated with Oxford. This seems to make search results less specific than I anticipated.

I agree.

Harry had too much lee way imo. He was allowed to present copies and retain originals (as Ian Griggs points out in Four Faces of Harry Holmes). He, contrary to PO regulations, which he lied about, destroyed evidence, and, as you point out, presented false evidence. (Apart from that he was significantly instrumental in delaying the last Oswald interview, to which he was invited by Fritz. He imo was much more than a Postal Inspector, and his freedom of movement through the DPD was unquestioned, like he could log out the key from evidence, and was intimate with various agencies, and they with him. Plus there's much more, like his involvement in various films, him wandering about the Plaza, picking up and discarding a bone fragment, which to an ex dentist student who should be able to recognise bone and its significance is odd, which begs the question what he was looking for, and for this and more he slipped through the cracks for decades. He had a very good memory but conveniently forgot important things for which there seem no reason for him to forget, except to hide something, and his dishonesty is a clearly established fact as is his strange untouchability and deference to in the Presidential Comission (otherwise referred to as the Warren Comission) hearings).

John, have you read "Postal Inspector David McDermott's" 1989 Holmes interview, is it available, or maybe it is necessary to contact Posner?

"We went, I believe, an hour overtime with the interrogation, but we tried to finish by 10:00 . . ,nl Holmes remembered that near the end of the session, Chief IRR Curry "was beating on the door."

The questioning lasted more than one and a half hours and did not end until shortly after 11:00 AM189 Ruby parked across the street from the Western Union station, only one block from police headquarters, near 1 1:05....

188. Interview of Harry Holmes by postal inspector David McDermott, June 29, 1989, p. 3 (unpublished transcript).

189. Testimony of Forrest Sorrels, WC Vol. XIII, p. 63; interview of Harry Holmes by postal inspector David McDermott, June 29, 1989, p. 2. 190. Testimony of Doyle Lane, WC Vol. XIII, p. 226. 191. Ibid., p....

What luck, that David McDermott had the good fortune to interview Harry Holmes just 14 weeks before the opportunity was lost forever as a consequence of Holmes's 14 October, 1989, death?

Could there still have been a government "prop job" going on, with regard to weak link, Harry Holmes, as late as in 1989 via postal inspector McDermott, followed up by distribution of the contents of that 1989 interview, by government sponsored entity, Posner? We should seek to find if there was common knowledge in the research community that could have led Posner to seek out David Mcdermott's "unpublished manuscript"....or not.

Very interesting. I bought a soft cover Case Closed just to have it from a throw away bin in a local bookshop a few months ago. I just spent what I thought would be fruitless time to find it. (Don't tell anyone, but my room's a bit messy.) Found it! Posner treats HDH's obviously as unimpeachable. Surprise! Anyway, no, unless it's the interview that's in a collection of interviews where HDH tells a story of his rememberances like the 'agencies' thought the shots came from the TA which HDH quickly over the phone sorted out, and various other snippets. That one should be readily online. Whether it's the McDermott interview or not I don't know. If it's not getting hold of it is a must. I've skimmed through Posners brief mentions of HDH but the three references don't say more than what is already 'known', yet with a ct perspective, what Posner does include is pretty damning in itself. The copy I've got apparently doesn't reference the interview. Can anyone post it?

I agree.

With regards to the cryptographer I cited, you are correct that the British, at least went through the Government Code and Cipher School, the reference to Army Intelligence

makes me believe this was an American, but the only real specific item is that if he was 25 in 1946, he would have been born circa 1921....Not a lot to go on......

The following page is perhaps the single most comprehensive page on the GCCS aka Bletchley Park on the internet.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bletchley-park

With regards to the McDermott interview sessions with Harry Holmes at least one of them, and probably both are cited in Case Closed as "unpublished manuscript,"

as John Dolva pointed out.

Ian Griggs, in No Case To Answer may have obtained a copy of this interview, at least there are references to it in said book Griggs wrote.....

CTKA deals with Holmes, to a degree in the following URL

http://www.ctka.net/2010/bite-elephant.html

I'm tying myself in knots trying to work out this "confidential informant" business.

As pointed out in Ian Griggs' short essay The Four Faces of Harry D Holmes we don't have anything "confirming" the fact that Holmes was definitely confidential informant DL-T7, but we are assuming this to be the case because of the content of CE1151.

We have the following documents relating to information provided by COnfidential Informant Dallas T-7:

http://www.maryferre...85&relPageId=36

http://www.maryferre...85&relPageId=37

What is strange about the above two pages is that the information was furnished on December 2nd 1963 by T-7 and on the second page it is claimed that the informant "could not identify Oswald from a photgraph displayed to him, but did recall that when he first saw OSWALD's photograph on television in late November 1963, he recognised him as being the same person he had dealt with previously." The information seems to be information provided from New Orleans. Why is this confusing me? Is this a different Dallas T-7?

As you can see from the "Harry Holmes" information he is described in exactly the same way as the two pages above:

http://www.maryferre...3&relPageId=226

http://www.maryferre...3&relPageId=227

http://www.maryferre...3&relPageId=228

It would appear that T-6 and T-7 both worked at the Dallas Post Office:

http://www.maryferre...56&relPageId=47

Informant T-6 seems to be furnishing some quite detailed (non-Post Office) information in 1959 relating to Joe Campisi:

http://www.maryferre...81&relPageId=11

But T-8 also works at the Post Office due to the information furnished concerning Oswald setting up the Dallas PO Box.

It's all very confusing (and probably meant to be) but looking through the Mary Ferrell database it would appear that if Holmes was T-7 then he was providing information on the Dallas chapter of the American GI Forum in 1955 which had TSBD employee Joe Molina as it Chairman.

I guess my question is, was Holmes T-7?

Interesting question. SOP was that no informant should know who else was an informant but it seems that the PO was infested with them. Cops have been known to swap badges.( :) sorry but you know it's true ( < to no one on the forum)). Harry had an intimate relationship with the local law enforcement groupings, the DPD, the FBI etc, plus he was a hop skip and jump from the top brass in the CIA. Personally I think that DA T7 that clearly indicates HDH is correct (but further scrutiny is obviously needed) slipped through the cracks and it took some time for someone to pick it. Other assassination witnesses are Price (PO, (TA)), an unidentified secretary according to HDH within 30 feet of the killshot, and a couple of others I think, that for the moment slips my mind.

Likewise Bell took the end of his film from what seems to be (when looking at photos of the TA from the TSBD building and vice versa) from HDH's suggested office, ending with a lingering shot on the fifth floor of the Dallas Court buiding from where one can reasonably assume that another FBI informant passed on info to the FBI about prisoner claims that the PO should be looked at, the prisoners dispersed, Fay Leon Blunt, after the WC volumes came out, again contacted the FBI because nothing had been done about his initial report, then he disappears off the radar and his contribution binned till found in an off room box by a diligent researcher given access to newly released records. DA T1 also figures prominently so the possibility of a typo is there too.

Very confusing, a bit like a jigsaw puzzle with bits missing that shouldn't be missing unless someone else has messed with it.

Guest Tom Scully

John, have you ever seen this information; an excerpt of Holmes's wife's Aug., 1994 obituary and data of her family from 1910 and 1920 U.S. Census records. Her name matches info from Mary Ferrell's database.:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=DM&p_theme=dm&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0ED3D4D9F4F1305E&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

Her obit linked above states she was buried at "Grave Hill Cemetery". I am guessing it is actually named "Grange Hill" since I cannot find a "Grave Hill". Findagrave.com lists only six internments.

Robert, are you up for a walk, and if you locate the grave and Harry is there, too, maybe snap a photo to upload on Findagrave.com ?

I thought this was interesting.:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&tbs=nws%3A1%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1994%2Ccd_max%3A1994&q=grace+banta+During+the+mid+1950s+Mrs+Holmes+also+played+piano&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

- Dallas Morning News - Aug 8, 1994

During the mid 1950s Mrs Holmes also played piano for Questions that Count a Christian trivia program that aired on Channel 4 then known as KRLDTV . She said her hands shook so bad she could hardly could keep her fingers on the keys Mrs Harvey said.

(It was fortunate for LN Oswald that he did not have a similar, shakey fingers problem when under pressure, wasn't it?)

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=burgess_kimes&id=I18894

Curiously, Mary did not include Helen Grace Holmes's birth name.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/marysdb/showRec.do?mode=searchResult&id=4890

Mary's

Comments: DOB: 7/2/05. POB: Indian Territory, Oklahoma. DOD: 10/14/89. Survived by widow, Helen Grace Holmes; daughter, Helen Joyce (Mrs. Jim Harvey); twin sons, Richard and Robert Holmes. Dallas Postal Inspector. FBI confidential informant.

Witnessed assassination from 5th floor, Terminal Annex with binoculars.

Is there any way we can find out more about this?

http://www.google.com/search?q=grace+banta+richard+lee+homes+of+arlington&hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&ei=zMzJTMv6MML6lwfE17myAQ&ved=0CB0QpwU&source=lnt&tbs=nws%3A1%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1994%2Ccd_max%3A1994

Dallas Morning News - Aug 8, 1994

... there's a good chance he or she was taught by Helen Grace Banta Holmes ... Holmes is survived by her sons Richard Lee Homes of Arlington and Robert D .

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&tbs=nws%3A1%2Car%3A1&q=%22richard+l+holmes%22+Bank+of+America+at+3100+Altamesa+Blvd&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Fort Worth Star-Telegram : Metro & Texas Digest

$2.95 - Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Aug 29, 2000

Richard L Holmes was in Tarrant County Jail without bail last night on an FBI arrest warrant. Police said Detective Hal Brasier following up on a Crime Stoppers tip tracked down Holmes vehicle which witnesses identified as the one driven by the bank ... say the would be robber walked into the Bank of America at 3100 Altamesa Blvd during the morning of June 19 and handed a teller a note demanding $3000 cash or someone would get hurt..Yesterday morning Brasier and FBI Special Agent A Farrell arrested Holmes at a Burleson business..

A demand for $3000? Sounds like it might be the work of an aging man suffering effects of dementia...sure doesn't seem like the M.O. of someone working his way up to bank robbery, or even the desperate act of a drug addict.

Edited by Tom Scully

I had him placed in Garland, other side of white rock lake to clint murchison and him spending his last days with his children so I'd look at a cemetery in that area. Otherwise lots of interesting stuff to contemplate. I'm still curious about a possible familial Truman connection as well.

Guest Tom Scully

I had him placed in Garland, other side of white rock lake to clint murchison and him spending his last days with his children so I'd look at a cemetery in that area. Otherwise lots of interesting stuff to contemplate. I'm still curious about a possible familial Truman connection as well.

Well, the obituary in Aug., 1994, reports his widow was to be buried in "Grave Hill Cemetery", Dallas, and I can't find one with that name, but there is a "Grange Hill".

Of course, I can only assume Harry's widow's grave is near his. His name does not surface in her obituary, and I have combed through it with every search trick I know of.

The Mary Ferrell entry I posted displaying the names of Harry's wife and children must have come from Harry's 1989 obituary, which seems to have vanished from Texas newspaper archives. Doesn't anyone have a copy of it to post?

That genealogical link http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=burgess_kimes&id=I18894 displays the correct age of Helen Grace Banta Holmes in the 1910 census, "1-6/12" since she was reported as age 86 at the time or her Aug., 1994 death. It also makes it more likely Harry was born in 1905, and not 1895.... He started work at the Post Office at age 19, if the 1953 story of him working there 29 years is accurate. How did he fit in attending dental school and the other reported activities of early adulthood?

Edited by Tom Scully

There is a grove hill memorial park below white rock lake. est 1911.

Yes there seem to be a cloudy origin from varous pov's. Apparently he came to Dallas in 1948. It has been suggested to me that he may not even have been born in the US.

John, have you ever seen this information; an excerpt of Holmes's wife's Aug., 1994 obituary and data of her family from 1910 and 1920 U.S. Census records. Her name matches info from Mary Ferrell's database.:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=DM&p_theme=dm&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0ED3D4D9F4F1305E&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

Her obit linked above states she was buried at "Grave Hill Cemetery". I am guessing it is actually named "Grange Hill" since I cannot find a "Grave Hill". Findagrave.com lists only six internments.

Robert, are you up for a walk, and if you locate the grave and Harry is there, too, maybe snap a photo to upload on Findagrave.com ?

I thought this was interesting.:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&tbs=nws%3A1%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1994%2Ccd_max%3A1994&q=grace+banta+During+the+mid+1950s+Mrs+Holmes+also+played+piano&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

- Dallas Morning News - Aug 8, 1994

During the mid 1950s Mrs Holmes also played piano for Questions that Count a Christian trivia program that aired on Channel 4 then known as KRLDTV . She said her hands shook so bad she could hardly could keep her fingers on the keys Mrs Harvey said.

(It was fortunate for LN Oswald that he did not have a similar, shakey fingers problem when under pressure, wasn't it?)

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=burgess_kimes&id=I18894

Curiously, Mary did not include Helen Grace Holmes's birth name.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/marysdb/showRec.do?mode=searchResult&id=4890

Mary's

Comments: DOB: 7/2/05. POB: Indian Territory, Oklahoma. DOD: 10/14/89. Survived by widow, Helen Grace Holmes; daughter, Helen Joyce (Mrs. Jim Harvey); twin sons, Richard and Robert Holmes. Dallas Postal Inspector. FBI confidential informant.

Witnessed assassination from 5th floor, Terminal Annex with binoculars.

Is there any way we can find out more about this?

http://www.google.com/search?q=grace+banta+richard+lee+homes+of+arlington&hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&ei=zMzJTMv6MML6lwfE17myAQ&ved=0CB0QpwU&source=lnt&tbs=nws%3A1%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1994%2Ccd_max%3A1994

Dallas Morning News - Aug 8, 1994

... there's a good chance he or she was taught by Helen Grace Banta Holmes ... Holmes is survived by her sons Richard Lee Homes of Arlington and Robert D .

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&tbs=nws%3A1%2Car%3A1&q=%22richard+l+holmes%22+Bank+of+America+at+3100+Altamesa+Blvd&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Fort Worth Star-Telegram : Metro & Texas Digest

$2.95 - Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Aug 29, 2000

Richard L Holmes was in Tarrant County Jail without bail last night on an FBI arrest warrant. Police said Detective Hal Brasier following up on a Crime Stoppers tip tracked down Holmes vehicle which witnesses identified as the one driven by the bank ... say the would be robber walked into the Bank of America at 3100 Altamesa Blvd during the morning of June 19 and handed a teller a note demanding $3000 cash or someone would get hurt..Yesterday morning Brasier and FBI Special Agent A Farrell arrested Holmes at a Burleson business..

A demand for $3000? Sounds like it might be the work of an aging man suffering effects of dementia...sure doesn't seem like the M.O. of someone working his way up to bank robbery, or even the desperate act of a drug addict.

"Is there any way we can find out more about this?"

http://www.sherrigreen.com/Bullet.htm

Those who pulled the strings in Dallas belonged to the Citizens Council, a group of businessmen with the authority to commit their company’s resources to various projects. When the Citizens Council needed PR help, they turned to Sam Bloom of the Bloom Advertising Agency.

Helen Holmes directed the agency’s PR division in 1963. In the three weeks prior to Kennedy’s trip, Holmes tried to convince Dallas citizens to put aside politics and embrace the president. A string of leaders issued statements encouraging tolerance and warmth. Sheriff William Decker was featured last, stressing that civil unrest would be dealt with sternly.

Back at the Trade Mart, where more than 2,500 Dallasites had expected to lunch with the Kennedys, Citizens Council president Erik Jonsson and leaders of other host organizations drafted an empathetic statement that Holmes hand delivered to the local media. For days, weeks, even years, city leaders pondered how to salvage Dallas ’ image.