The Education Forum

Picture of QJWIN

Peter,

Good find. Wish we had his real name. Looks banal and innocent...like an Eichmann.

I thought it was Jose Marie Mankel, but that apparently was an alias.

You might be interested in this 1997 Note:

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=1

It says that Mankel's true name appears in Oliver Stone's manuscript for "Nixon"

"although that has not been officially acknowledged."

Steve Thomas

Peter,
Good find. Wish we had his real name. Looks banal and innocent...like an Eichmann.

It says that Mankel's true name appears in Oliver Stone's manuscript for "Nixon"

Steve Thomas

Hello Steve.

Does that mean the screenplay?

http://oscarworld.net/ostone/screenplay.html

- lee

Interesting stuff here. The memos that Steve referenced made interesting reading. So QJWIN was used only in connection with "safecracking"? Somehow I doubt that.

Re the Oliver Stone "Nixon" script I assumed everyone knows that was penned by Steven Rivele who researched the "Corsican connection" to the assassination. So he no doubt brought his knowledge to the script.

Tim,

Interesting stuff here. The memos that Steve referenced made interesting reading. So QJWIN was used only in connection with "safecracking"? Somehow I doubt that.

At first, I did too. I speculated that safecracking was a code word for assassination, but I have been reading through dozens of cables and memos related to the ZRRIFLE project and communications dealing with QJWIN over the last several days. (You can find a bunch of them in reel 20 of the CIA's microfilm collection on the Mary Ferrel site).

The candidates that QJWIN was recruiting were petty criminals, most of them having rap sheets for burglary.

William Harvey's handwritten notes on the ZRRIFLE program refer to crypts and codes.

Right now I believe that Harvey was putting together a team to break into foreign embassies.

Do you know of anything that might have been going on in Dakar in late 1960?

When QJWIN was tasked to go to Leopoldville, there was some talk about also sending him to Dakar, and whether that would confuse him or cause him to lose focus concerning the Leopoldville job.

Steve Thomas

• 1 year later...

Lamar Waldron posted 24 parallels between CIA assassin recruiter QJWIN and Michel Victor Mertz as an endnote supplement to Legacy of Secrecy.

See http://www.legacyofsecrecy.com/documents.html

Similar or the same information was published in Waldron and Hartmann's Ultimate Sacrifice in chapter 43, note 40.

It's worth a look but best understood in the context of the books.

• 9 years later...
On 10/22/2007 at 12:10 PM, Steve Thomas said:

Peter,

Steve Thomas

steve - found this old thread after reading so many docs naming Jose Marie Andre Mankel as QJWIN. The link you posted ends with the statement that Mankel is not QJWIN’s real name, but other released details are correct. What do you make of that? 

Incidentally I combed through the Nixon screenplay looking for anything. Strangely, in scene 76 Nixon compares Liddy to Martin Bormann. 

41 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

steve - found this old thread after reading so many docs naming Jose Marie Andre Mankel as QJWIN. The link you posted ends with the statement that Mankel is not QJWIN’s real name, but other released details are correct. What do you make of that? 

Incidentally I combed through the Nixon screenplay looking for anything. Strangely, in scene 76 Nixon compares Liddy to Martin Bormann. 

Paul,

It's been a long time since I looked into this.

It looks like they are saying that virtually all data on Mankel - his background, etc. has already been released. The only thing that hasn't been released is his true name and they are wondering if they should contest that or not.

Back in 2007, I wrote:

"The candidates that QJWIN was recruiting were petty criminals, most of them having rap sheets for burglary.

William Harvey's handwritten notes on the ZRRIFLE program refer to crypts and codes.

Right now I believe that Harvey was putting together a team to break into foreign embassies."

On page 3 of that document, https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=60509#relPageId=3&tab=page

it says that the objective of the ZRRIFLE project was to, "procure foreign code and cypher materials and information on such matters".

It looks like the CIA was trying to steal information on foreign cryptonyms. We sit around and scratch our heads and try to figure out what KUBARK and ODACID and AMCLATTER mean. You can understand the frustration when trying to deal with the KGB equivalent.

Steve Thomas

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Rich Pope said:

QJ-WIN is Jose Marie Andre Markel.  He was a foreign agent, a smuggler, drug dealer and was connected to the Corsican Mafia.  Not only was he a European assassin, he was also an assassin recruiter.

Please help by providing references other that CIA docs (or verbally transmissions to you) about Mankel’s biography. I can’t find anything.

btw do you still play cello?

Edited by Paul Brancato

55 minutes ago, Rich Pope said:

Has anyone read Jerome Corsi's book on JFK?

Members have posted negatively about it on another thread.

anything on Mankel?

Someone said it was for beginners. There’s a thread about it.

btw regarding Mankel, the only stuff I can find on him is likewise from CIA. I think it’s a false identity of QJWIN. 

Edited by Paul Brancato