The Education Forum

"Four Days In November" (1964)

I recently decided to spruce up some of my blogs on the Internet, and one of them that received an overhaul is my "Four Days In November" website/blog, at:

Four-Days-In-November.blogspot.com

At the website above, I've added 88 still images from the film.

1e.jpg

2o.jpg

In my opinion, David L. Wolper's 1964 documentary film "Four Days In November" is easily the very best and most accurate movie (or TV documentary) ever produced about the events surrounding President Kennedy's assassination.

Naturally, of course, all conspiracy theorists will vehemently disagree with that last statement (and then some). But it's true just the same.

And what is even more remarkable, in my view, is the fact that Wolper and company made the film months BEFORE the Warren Commission even completed its investigation into JFK's death -- and yet Wolper, director Mel Stuart, and writer Theodore Strauss were still able to get virtually every fact correct in the movie.

Each time I watch the film I'm always amazed by how accurate it is, right down to even some of the very small details, such as the exact amount of the cab fare for Lee Harvey Oswald's taxi drive to Oak Cliff on 11/22/63 -- 95 cents.

Some of the details that appear in "Four Days" were undoubtedly gathered by Wolper and his team of researchers themselves, since several witnesses appear in the film and were (I assume) interviewed by the filmmakers about what they knew concerning the events of November 22nd, such as cab driver William Whaley.

Whaley was one of the witnesses (along with Buell Wesley Frazier, Linnie Mae Randle, and Johnny Brewer) who provided a detailed re-enactment of his November 22 movements, taking the Wolper cameras along for the ride as he re-created the taxicab drive he and Oswald took to Oak Cliff.

As far as I can recall, I think there is only one factual error in the movie (and even this error isn't a major one), and that's when narrator Richard Basehart says that Lee Oswald exited his roominghouse at 1026 North Beckley Avenue wearing "a different, lighter jacket", which implies, of course, that Oswald entered the roominghouse wearing a jacket.

According to housekeeper Earlene Roberts, however, Oswald was in his shirt sleeves and was not wearing any jacket at all when he rushed into his rented room on 11/22/63.

However, in fairness to David Wolper and his crew, it's quite likely that Wolper and company got the additional "jacket" information from William Whaley himself, because Whaley's Warren Commission testimony indicates that Whaley thought that Oswald was wearing "a work jacket that almost matched [his] pants".

Therefore, it's very likely that Whaley would have told the "Four Days" filmmakers the very same story about Oswald wearing a jacket, with Wolper having no real reason for doubting Whaley's account. (And I assume the Wolper people did not interview Mary Bledsoe or Earlene Roberts during the making of the film. Had they done so, of course, a different story concerning Oswald's jackets would have emerged.)

A side note concerning this subject ---

I was recently discussing the "Four Days" movie via written correspondence with "Reclaiming History" author Vincent Bugliosi, and he told me something I had never heard before -- Vince said that in the early stages of writing his JFK book (when the book was still untitled), David Wolper told him that he wanted to make another documentary on the JFK assassination, which would be based on Bugliosi's book. Unfortunately, however, that documentary was never made.

Mr. Wolper passed away at the age of 82, on August 10, 2010. He will be remembered for producing many excellent documentaries, mainly for television. And the Academy Award-nominated "Four Days In November", which was a United Artists theatrical release, is certainly one of his finest accomplishments.

Two other first-rate documentaries from the Wolper film factory are "The Making Of The President 1960" (made in 1963) and "The Legend Of Marilyn Monroe" (1964):

The Making Of The President 1960

The Legend Of Marilyn Monroe

Edited by David Von Pein

thank you david for your photos and videos, some information, i notice you have mark balmas painting '' pieta'' (an art term designating the representation of Mary mourning over the body of Christ )...

of the scene at parklands entrance in your photo section, just thought i would pass along who created that work, also here is a bit of further info...b. http://minnesota.pub...11/15/jfkpieta/

Edited by Bernice Moore

In my opinion, David L. Wolper's 1964 documentary film "Four Days In November" is easily the very best and most accurate movie (or TV documentary) ever produced about the events surrounding President Kennedy's assassination.

Naturally, of course, all conspiracy theorists will vehemently disagree with that last statement (and then some). But it's true just the same.

And what is even more remarkable, in my view, is the fact that Wolper and company made the film months BEFORE the Warren Commission even completed its investigation into JFK's death -- and yet Wolper, director Mel Stuart, and writer Theodore Strauss were still able to get virtually every fact correct in the movie.

Presumably Wolper and team simply asked their goods friends from OSS/CIA what the report was going to say:

Wolper had, after all, served as Executive Producer of 32 episodes of spook propaganda in the previous decade:

http://www.davidlwolper.com/shows/details.cfm?showID=508

Balma's Pieta is one of the great modern pictures.

I'm fond of this illustration, which I snagged from somebody's blog, who nicked it from...

It has that modern US postage-stamp look. Is it a stamp proof? Or just commenting on the genre?

nice one david and it does have that appearance, here are some stamps..of jfk...issued in 98..

the other below is of the statue at the entrance of the museum in hyannis port.which is very different...but fits imo...

thanks b..

... In my opinion, David L. Wolper's 1964 documentary film "Four Days In November" is easily the very best and most accurate movie (or TV documentary) ever produced about the events surrounding President Kennedy's assassination.

... And what is even more remarkable, in my view, is the fact that Wolper and company made the film months BEFORE the Warren Commission even completed its investigation into JFK's death -- and yet Wolper, director Mel Stuart, and writer Theodore Strauss were still able to get virtually every fact correct in the movie.

Each time I watch the film I'm always amazed by how accurate it is, right down to even some of the very small details ...

As far as I can recall, I think there is only one factual error in the movie (and even this error isn't a major one), and that's when narrator Richard Basehart says that Lee Oswald exited his roominghouse at 1026 North Beckley Avenue wearing "a different, lighter jacket", which implies, of course, that Oswald entered the roominghouse wearing a jacket.

... However, in fairness to David Wolper and his crew, it's quite likely that Wolper and company got the additional "jacket" information from William Whaley himself, because Whaley's Warren Commission testimony indicates that Whaley thought that Oswald was wearing "a work jacket that almost matched [his] pants".

Therefore, it's very likely that Whaley would have told the "Four Days" filmmakers the very same story about Oswald wearing a jacket, with Wolper having no real reason for doubting Whaley's account. (And I assume the Wolper people did not interview Mary Bledsoe or Earlene Roberts during the making of the film. Had they done so, of course, a different story concerning Oswald's jackets would have emerged.) ....

Tsk, David!

Do you have the dates of when the movie was filmed or produced? I'm curious whether it was before or after Whaley testified before the Commission (3/12/64) or was deposed (4/8/64), because either way, his testimony is irrelevent and inaccurate as to the jacket.

Spare me the groans about his claim to Oswald wearing, in effect, two jackets - blue and grey - or any such nonsense. The fact of the matter is that he described Oswald wearing the same shirt/jacket as Mary Bledsoe did, even despite her otherwise less than vivid (lucid?) testimony.

In fact, had he not, I'd have very much doubted that Bledsoe actually saw Oswald on the bus, putting it off instead to an active imagination and/or her "fifteen seconds of fame."

Earlene Roberts has to be taken with something of a grain of salt simply because when she says Oswald walked in, she was preoccupied with both a telephone call and a television (that wasn't receiving well), as well as the shocking news of the president being wounded. She was also blind in one eye, to say nothing at all about her age or education, or predilection toward fabrication.

But anyway, given Whaley's varied accounts, what makes you so certain that this detail about a "different, lighter" jacket was an error?

The only question is: was it white?

Given Whaley's varied accounts, what makes you so certain that this detail about a "different, lighter" jacket was an error?

Because Oswald didn't have a jacket on when he entered the roominghouse OR when he was on the bus. (You just said you believed that fact too--or it sounded that way--when you talked about Bledsoe.)

Bledsoe saw a hole in Oswald's ARREST SHIRT. How could she have seen that hole if LHO had it covered by a jacket? She couldn't have.

And Earlene Roberts said that LHO was not wearing a jacket when he entered his room.

IMO, Whaley thought Oswald's brown outer shirt (which he had on over a white T-shirt) was a "jacket". And Officer Marrion Baker made that exact same error when he briefly encountered Oswald in the TSBD lunchroom. He, too, thought that Oswald's untucked brown shirt was a jacket.

Edited by David Von Pein

That's my thought as well: the shirt was either mistaken as or merely described as a jacket (there's a name for those heavy shirts that are worn as jackets, tho' for the life of me I can't remember what it is) because it was worn as "outerwear."

Without looking, I recall that Whaley also said in his testimony that Oswald was wearing a jacket (of whatever description, but not the brown shirt he originally said). So, depending upon the source of the information, calling something a "different, lighter jacket" isn't altogether in error.

I really don't think Earlene Roberts paid any attention to Oswald beyond a glance to recognize him, and to satisfy herself that he didn't recognize her and wasn't going to approach her.

What I'd said about Bledsoe was that, had Whaley not also identified or described a shirt similar to what she had said Oswald was wearing, I would not have believed anything she'd said.

Baker's erroneous description of a "jacket" also begs the question of where and when he got it, and what he did with it between seeing Baker and getting on the bus — since, as I recall, Geraldean what's-her-name said that he was wearing a tee shirt when he came through her office after the lunchroom encounter, no? — or if Baker is also mistaken, but that's best left for another thread some other time.

Yeah, we got a name for them here too. Can be heavy duty cotton in a number of chequered colors that is agreeably worn untucked that can pass as a workers jacket. As with all such durable cheap stuff it is also adopted by the general community. It's a history of clothing that can be typified by the jean, (and by the bellbottom, GI. et.c.). To go to the movies though, a step up is prob in order.

• 5 months later...
Guest Tom Scully

....And what is even more remarkable, in my view, is the fact that Wolper and company made the film months BEFORE the Warren Commission even completed its investigation into JFK's death -- and yet Wolper, director Mel Stuart, and writer Theodore Strauss were still able to get virtually every fact correct in the movie.

Each time I watch the film I'm always amazed by how accurate it is, right down to even some of the very small details, such as the exact amount of the cab fare for Lee Harvey Oswald's taxi drive to Oak Cliff on 11/22/63 -- 95 cents.

Some of the details that appear in "Four Days" were undoubtedly gathered by Wolper and his team of researchers themselves, since several witnesses appear in the film and were (I assume) interviewed by the filmmakers about what they knew concerning the events of November 22nd, such as cab driver William Whaley.

Whaley was one of the witnesses (along with Buell Wesley Frazier, Linnie Mae Randle, and Johnny Brewer) who provided a detailed re-enactment of his November 22 movements, taking the Wolper cameras along for the ride as he re-created the taxicab drive he and Oswald took to Oak Cliff.

According to housekeeper Earlene Roberts, however, Oswald was in his shirt sleeves and was not wearing any jacket at all when he rushed into his rented room on 11/22/63.

However, in fairness to David Wolper and his crew, it's quite likely that Wolper and company got the additional "jacket" information from William Whaley himself, because Whaley's Warren Commission testimony indicates that Whaley thought that Oswald was wearing "a work jacket that almost matched [his] pants".

Therefore, it's very likely that Whaley would have told the "Four Days" filmmakers the very same story about Oswald wearing a jacket, with Wolper having no real reason for doubting Whaley's account. (And I assume the Wolper people did not interview Mary Bledsoe or Earlene Roberts during the making of the film. Had they done so, of course, a different story concerning Oswald's jackets would have emerged.)....

William W. Whaley -

5648321077_0f00a39830_b.jpg

An ancestry.com member represents this as a WWII era photo of the same William W. Whaley:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5187/5648389919_40c8d70b1e.jpg

My attempt to resuscitate the thought processes of a local "journalist", sent today.:

To: aselk@dallasnews.com

....Cab 36 its checkered past (A Look Under the Hood)

RE: your DMN article of 04 June, 2010 http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20100604-Oswald-gave-Cab-36-its-checkered-2545.ece

I got the impression from reading your article that you were confident you had a firm grasp on the facts.

I must confess that I am not as fortunate as you are. I am confused and I have questions you may be able to answer or to find answers to. A reader of your story would be led to believe that cabbie William W. Whaley had a good command of the facts and was a competent, reliable Warren Commission witness. Given the following, from the WCR, were Mr. Whaley and his testimony reliable?

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=%22the+elapsed+time+of+the+reconstructed+run+from+the+Greyhound*&btnG=Search+Books#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=1&tbm=bks&source=hp&q=%22Beckley+was+timed+by+Commission+counsel+at+5+minutes*%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%22Beckley+was+timed+by+Commission+counsel+at+5+minutes*%22&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=db49d35da2c037e4

The Warren Commission Report - Page 163

United States. Warren Commission - 2003

"Whaley was somewhat imprecise as to where he unloaded his passenger.... After a review of these inconsistencies in his testimony before the Commission, Whaley was interviewed again in Dallas...

...The elapsed time of the reconstructed run from the Greyhound Bus Station to Neely and Beckley was 5 minutes and 30 seconds by stopwatch.4" The walk from Beckley and Neely to 1026 North Beckley was timed by Commission counsel at 5 minutes and 45 seconds.478 Whaley testified that Oswald was wearing either the gray zippered jacket or the heavy blue jacket.4" He was in error, however. Oswald could not possibly have been wearing the blue jacket during the trip with Whaley, since it was found in the "domino" room of the Depository late in November. Moreover, Mrs. Bledsoe saw Oswald in the bus without a jacket and wearing a shirt with a hole at the elbow. On the other hand, Whaley identified the shirt taken from Oswald upon arrest as the shirt his passenger was wearing. ..."

http://history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh2/html/WC_Vol2_0132a.htm

Thursday, March 12, 1964

The Testimony of William Wayne Whaley

...Mr. Ball. Then where did you go at 12:15 according to your record?

Mr. Whaley. According to my record I got a pickup at the Continental bus

station which is stand 16 and went to the Greyhound which is 55 cents.

I unloaded that at the Greyhound. I have it marked 12:30. See there is that 15

minutes you say I am off, I just mark it 15. I don't put the correct time on the

sheet because they don't require it, sir, but anywhere approximate....

....Mr. WHALEY. He was walking down the street. ....

Mr. BALL. Did you notice how he was dressed?

Mr. WHALEY. Yes, sir. I didn't pay much attention to it right then.

But it all came back when I really found out who I had. He was dressed

in just ordinary work clothes. It wasn't khaki pants but they were

khaki material, blue faded blue color, like a blue uniform made in

khaki. Then he had on a brown shirt with a little silverlike stripe on

it and he had on some kind of jacket. I didn't notice very close but I

think it was a work jacket that almost matched the pants. His shirt

was open three buttons down here. He had on a T-shirt. You know, the

shirt was open three buttons down there. .....

....Representative FORD. Now on this particular trip with Oswald, do you recall the lights being with you?

Mr. WHALEY. They were with me, sir; for I timed them that way before I took off. Because I made that so much that I know the light system and how they are going to turn.

Representative FORD. So this was a typical trip?

Mr. WHALEY. Yes, sir.

The CHAIRMAN. The witness has been driving a taxicab in Dallas for 36 years.

Mr. WHALEY. Thirty-seven, sir.

The CHAIRMAN. Thirty-seven.

Mr. WHALEY. You name an intersection in the city of Dallas and I will tell you what is on all four corners.

Mr. BALL. Did you stop and let your passenger out on this run on the north or south side of the intersection?

Mr. WHALEY. On the north side, sir.

Mr. BALL. North side?

Mr. WHALEY. Yes.

Mr. BALL. That would be--

Mr. WHALEY. Northwest corner.

Mr. BALL. Northwest corner of Neches and Beckley?

Mr. WHALEY. Northwest corner of Neches and Beckley. ....

AVI SELK, are you aware that William Whaley was also incorrect in his description of the above intersection? As you can read, Whaley was a stickler for detail when he corrected his esteemed questioners as to his years of service as a cab driver, because they misstated his seniority by one year?

The wording and the air about your article indicates you know what happened and thus, what narrative your readers should embrace. I confess that I am not as confident as to what actually happened on 22 November, 1963 and it might be because I am more familiar with the details than even you seem to be.

Can you explain why the 1930 US Census image linked and displayed below shows Whaley to be

21 years off age in early 1930, but aged 60, 35 years later when he died in 1960? The same census image lists Whaley's occupation as "mechanic, auto" in 1930; which was 34 years prior to when he saw fit to correct the Chairman of the Warren Commission questioners description of 36 years, driving.

If the 1930 Census details were correct, when did Whaley acquire three additional years as a cab driver, he also was said to have served in the US Navy during WWII.

5648885354_34b4122216_b.jpg

Note that the last person listed in the 1930 Whaley household in Dallas was described as "daughter-in-law", Sylvia, age 20, William W. Whaley's wife of one year, as described in the image above.

What are the odds that the exacting and precise, Warren Commission witness Whaley, portrayed so confidently by you as such, in your article last 04 June, would be acknowledged in the Warren Commission Report as being wrong about numerous key details, and as I've brought to your attention, even about the detail of his own year of birth? William W. Whaley's gravestone apparently displays an erroneous birth year, three years earlier, but on the exact same day and month:

http://www.cemeteries-of-tx.com/Etx/Denton/cemetery/OHall%20T-Z.htm

Would it surprise you to learn that William Wayne and Sylvia B. Patterson Whaley became parents of

a son on 25 November, 1931, but the Dallas County birth records list the father as William Weldon Whaley,

http://files.usgwarchives.net/tx/dallas/vitals/births/1931/daltzb31.txt

or that Sylvia was dead under circumstances unreported by any journalist on July 24, 1934?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=7284&GSfn=&GSln=whaley

Sylvia's parents, Earney and Olivia, and her brother Howard are also interred in the same cemetery.:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=7284&GSfn=&GSln=patterson

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi

From SSDI: (son of William and Sylvia)

WHALEY, WILLIAM W 25 Nov 1931 18 Jun 1997 (V) 65 87111 (Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM)

Does this information seem to jibe with the details in your story?

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Whaley-18

WILLIAM WAYNE WHALEY HISTORY

...From his daughter, Dixie McCoy:...

....I guess Dad's "15 minutes of fame" came when he drove the cab that tookOswald from downtown Dallas to Oak Cliff after he supposedly killedKennedy. Daddy always said that is was impossible for him to have doneit, because the FBI had Daddy downtown one Sunday afternoon and they hadto run through the pattern Oswld took about six times before they coulddo it in the time Oswald would have had to do it in and this was on aSunday afternoon with no traffic on the streets or sidewalks. Not tomention the thousands that lined the streets that day. I don't supposewe will ever learn the real truth in our lifetime." ...

And what about this reference to an abduction of Whaley's son?

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Whaley-18

Note: WILLIAM WAYNE WHALEY HISTORY

"William Wayne Whaley was born June 19, 1908 in Sulphur Springs, Texas.He was the son of Oscar and Lona Whaley. His first marriage to SylviaPatterson produced a son, Billy Wayne, who was, unfortunately, abducted...."

The 1920 and 1910 U.S. Census record of the household of Oscar W. Whaley also show the age of

William W. Whaley as most likely a person born about 1908, and not in 1905 as Whaley and all news

reporting at the time of his death on December 18, 1965.

A question I have of much more concern is whether or not your news organization ever reported the fact that the mother-in-law of John B. Connally's deceased daughter told the FBI she sent Lee Harvey Oswald

on a successful job interview to Leslie Welding, and that the Warren Commission and the FBI omitted what they knew about the background of that woman, Virginia Kingsbery Hale?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=klEqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YFEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6970,3571022&dq=connally+ib-hale&hl=en

Bride's Death Ruled Accidental .

The Dispatch - May 1, 1959

... Mr. and Mrs. IB Hale, also attended the hearing The Hales left with their son ... Connally said his daughter was despondent over moving to a place. .

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:6wDTwnHqhfYJ:www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh23/pdf/WH23_CE_1890.pdf+Annie+Laurie+Smith+%22leslie+welding%22&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi8ghXUfj-j1z2_-wGmDb8ATIXwYz8BrHbhIxuNl-5DV3jZuqQPGMqRpXrejTvMbxCbfoVKnT4gmNhHxNc_nZlSO_10B8KEBHjcmgB4aYQZxvBHr3C0xseLi0lp48PbddoHNO6s&sig=AHIEtbRIwjUKg3i7oOSLUWe-seIpxeSeUQ&pli=1

FBI Statement of Virginia Hale of Fortune Rd., Ft. Worth, TX

13-May-1984 F Hale, Virginia Kingsbery

http://files.usgwarchives.net/tx/tarrant/vitals/deaths/1984/tarrd84c.txt

Was it news that the mother of the man who claimed he tried to slap away the shotgun that Connally's daughter, by his claim, had pointed at her own head with her finger on the trigger when the long gun discharged and killed her, was the woman, who, four years later, admitted sending the man to a job interview who would soon be accused of shooting Gov. Connally?

The above image of the FBI report includes Virginia Hale's address. The working press overlooked this for more than 45 years, but can always be counted on to write articles with the certain tone emanating from your recent article about "cab 36".

Does this dimension to the above ignored oddity of history make this chain events a news story, will any

details do it, not matter how rich? The fact is that the FBI department heads in DC knew in summer, 1962, that the twin sons of Virginia Hale and her husband, ex-FBI agent and former TCU All-American

football star, IB Hale, were observed by an FBI agent while breaking into and entering and exiting an

apartment leased in Los Angeles by John Roselli and occupied by Judith Exner.

http://www.adn.com/2003/10/06/v-printer/42919/papas-passage-10-06-2003.html

Papa's passage (10-06-2003)

A long-ago tragedy, fed-up neighbors, and a mysterious blue Chevy Corvette

By TOM KIZZIA

Anchorage Daily News

Second of two parts

(10/06/03 04:02:00) (The ADN reporter omits the details that the FBI matched in their own report, the license number of the Corvette observed by the them in L.A. to a Texas vehicle registered in the name of I.B. Hale.)

"...Hersh's story is based on FBI documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. It involves Judith Campbell Exner, the woman revealed by a congressional committee in 1975 to have been having an affair with the president even as she had close ties with Chicago mob boss Sam Giancana and mob associate Johnny Rosselli.

The affair was known to FBI chief Hoover. He had Campbell's Los Angeles apartment under FBI surveillance in August 1962, when agents observed two young men break in through a sliding glass door on a balcony.

According to FBI documents in the case examined by the Anchorage Daily News, the burglars' getaway car, a blue Chevy Corvette, was registered to I.B. Hale, the former agent who was now chief of security for General Dynamics.

Hersh's account was also corroborated by an ABC-TV documentary.

The FBI said the description of Hale's sons is "generally similar" to that of the two burglars seen at the glass door, one of whom later drove away in the car registerd to Hale. The Dallas FBI office reported one of the sons drove a Chevy sports car and was possibly in California.

The FBI agents did not try to intercept the burglars or report the incident to police -- presumably, Hersh wrote, because they would have blown the cover for their own stakeout.

Exactly what happened in the apartment is unknown; the FBI agent interviewed by Hersh said agents assumed an electronic listening device was planted...."

I am hoping you will now understand why I objected to the attitude of certainty you flavored your article with, related to the actual reliability of Whaley as a witness, and of the "rock solid" determinations of the Warren Commission Report and the body of work produced by the working press since 1963. Imagine if Lee Oswald had had the opportunity of competent defense and the actual adversarial process of a criminal trial. How do you think "witnesses" such as William Whaley, Virginia Hale, and her husband, IB Hale would have fared under actual cross examination?

-Tom Scully

On edit, the image above of William W. Whaley is a screen capture from a video made in 1964 and featured on a blog by David Von Pein. Whaley, allegedly born in 1905, is nearly 59 years old in that image. The 1930 census displays the race of Whaley and everyone else in the household as "W" for "white". The link to the WWII image of Whaley resolves to an image of a man with a longer nose, and there is this to wonder about.:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=%22*Saturday+afternoon+was+the+Negro+cab+driver+who+reportedly+transported+%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&um=1&scoring=a

Suspect Linked to Gun Purchase

Pay-Per-View - Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Nov 24, 1963

Among the witnesses who were ques- tioned Saturday afternoon was the Negro cab driver who reportedly transported Oswald to his rooming house following the....

Edited by Tom Scully

I've often wondered where the purported car bomb just beyond the underpass, cited by Gerry Hemming, might have been placed. Under the shadow of the rather poignant Old Charter sign, passed by the speeding limo, might have been a good spot (compare pic in post #1).

Did the car bomb exist? Ah, those heady days when the Old Charter was repealed in Dallas!

Edited by David Andrews

• 1 year later...

......And what is even more remarkable, in my view, is the fact that Wolper and company made the film months BEFORE the Warren Commission even completed its investigation into JFK's death -- and yet Wolper, director Mel Stuart, and writer Theodore Strauss were still able to get virtually every fact correct in the movie.

Mel Stuart passed away last week.

http://www.nytimes.c...dies-at-83.html