The Education Forum

JFK Trivia Game

Ok, so it's not abc radio, but it is radio. It probably first came on a wire from UPI or AP? But they don't have proprietary broadcast media. I'm not sure exactly how that works.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY NEXT TRIVIA QUESTION FOR Y'ALL:  What is it about this sentence that not only proves Oswald was a native English speaker, but that he spoke it (and wrote it, if you're willing to discount his numerous spelling and punctuation errors) better than most American college graduates? 

"You needn't worry about my losing American citizenship."

--  Tommy :sun

12 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Ok, so it's not abc radio, but it is radio. It probably first came on a wire from UPI or AP? But they don't have proprietary broadcast media. I'm not sure exactly how that works.

Well, now there's some confusion (maybe I misunderstood you)---because your previous reply, Kirk, implied (via the "basement" remark) that you were only talking about ABC-TV (not ABC Radio).

But after talking it over with the "Official JFK Trivia Rules Committee" (based in Brookline, Mass.), it's been decided to give you the prize and declare you the winner for Question #1 (half of it anyway). :)

It was the ABC Radio Network which provided the first network news bulletin about the shooting in Dallas. That bulletin was broadcast on ABC Radio stations at 12:36 PM (CST) on 11/22/63, which is remarkably fast, considering the fact that the first news of the shooting (provided by Merriman Smith) didn't cross the UPI wire service until 12:34 PM. So ABC Radio had it on the air in about two minutes, beating CBS-TV (Walter Cronkite) by six minutes, and beating NBC-TV (Don Pardo) by nine whole minutes.

Now, can you tell me who the reporter was who announced that first bulletin on ABC Radio?

Edited by David Von Pein

7 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

MY NEXT TRIVIA QUESTION FOR Y'ALL:  What is it about this sentence that not only proves Oswald was a native English speaker, but that he spoke it (and wrote it, if you're willing to discount his numerous spelling and punctuation errors) better than most American college graduates? 

"You needn't worry about my losing American citizenship."

I would say it was probably the use of two words in that sentence that would indicate the author was very likely a native of the USA. Those words being "needn't" and "my" (instead of saying "me").

You're hijacking the thread Tommy. :DBut since I'm in a trivia mood and maybe on a roll.. I'll say a normal college grad would not have used the word "needn't", and would have said "you don't have to worry about me losing my citizenship".

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 minute ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

You're hijacking the thread Tommy. :DBut since I'm in a trivia mood and maybe on a roll.. I'll say a normal college grad would not have used the word "needn't", and would have said "you don't have to worry about my losing my citizenship".

How am I hi-jacking a thread that invited me to ask JFK assassination-related trivia questions?

2 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

You're hijacking the thread Tommy. :DBut since I'm in a trivia mood and maybe on a roll.. I'll say a normal college grad would not have used the word "needn't", and would have said "you don't have to worry about my losing my citizenship".

You're half right, IMHO.

Most college graduates would have mistakenly said "You don't have to worry about me losing my American citizenship.

Dvp said "If other people here want to chime in with their own JFK-related trivia questions, please feel free to do so." .

You're right Tommy.

You know, upon reflection  i did edit the line to say"me"., but I guess somehow it didn't stick.

Actually you and I must have read it at the same time. But now it does show my edit to "me"

6 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

You know, upon reflection, I did edit the line to say"me", but I guess somehow it didn't stick.

But I got it 100% right in my post above, four minutes before Kirk's post.

What do I win? A free 8x10 glossy of Judyth Baker perhaps? :)

Edited by David Von Pein

11 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Dvp said "If other people here want to chime in with their own JFK-related trivia questions, please feel free to do so." .

You're right Tommy.

You know, upon reflection  i did edit the line to say"me"., but I guess somehow it didn't stick.

Of course I'm right.

Maybe you don't understand, though.  "Me" is incorrect here.

The grammar rule, informally put, is:  The Gerund Takes The Possessive."

Get it?

Know what a gerund is?

Is there a gerund in the sentence?  Hint:  Yes, there is.

Edited by Thomas Graves

4 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

But I got it 100% right in my post above.

What do I win? A free 8x10 glossy of Judyth Baker perhaps? :)

Kirk said,

"you don't have to worry about me losing my citizenship".

Technically no Dave. You did juxtapose "me' and my' correctly . But you didn't rewrite the sentence without the "needn't" and using another verb. The verb, have. That's "everyman" talk.

But out of generosity, to go one better, we will send you an 8X10 glossy of Judith Baker, Roger Stone and Alex Jones! How does that sound?