The Education Forum

JFK Trivia Game

11 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Kirk said,

"you don't have to worry about me losing my citizenship".

Technically no Dave. You did juxtapose "me' and my' correctly . But you didn't rewrite the sentence without the "needn't" and using another verb. The verb, have. That's "everyman" talk.

But out of generosity, to go one better, we will send you an 8X10 glossy of Judith Baker, Roger Stone and Alex Jones! How does that sound?

The whole point is that Oswald's writing (get it? -- another clever example for you), by writing "my losing" in that sentence, was displaying his excellent command of English grammar.

Better than most college graduates in applying the grammar rule "The Gerund Takes The Possessive."

D'oh.

Only DVP answered it correctly, as far as I can tell (because Kirk keeps changing his answer).

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

The whole point is that Oswald's writing (get it? -- another clever example of The Gerund Takes The Possessive for you) "my losing" in that sentence showed his excellent command of English grammar.

Better than most college graduates in applying the grammar rule "The Gerund Takes The Possessive."

D'oh.

Only DVP answered it correctly, as far as I can tell (because Kirk keeps changing his answer).

edited and bumped

PS  Maybe this will help you to understand.

http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/022205posscasegerunds.htm

Edited by Thomas Graves

This is what I finished saying.( i did make a minute edit)

"I'll say a normal college grad would not have used the word "needn't", and would have said "you don't have to worry about me losing my citizenship".

Yes anyone really knows it's "my" over "me", (doesn't it just sound more proper?)but the average college graduate who doesn't major in English or Linguistics says it this way and you are correct, that is not correct English..

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 minute ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

"I'll say a normal college grad would not have used the word "needn't", and would have said "you don't have to worry about me losing my citizenship".

Yes anyone really knows it's "me" over "my", (doesn't it just sound more proper?)but the average college graduate who doesn't major in English or Linguistics says it this way and you are correct, that is not correct English..

Too obfuscating, Kirk.

Nice try, though!

Something tells me you still don't "get it".

Here, maybe this will help:

http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/022205posscasegerunds.htm

7 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

Too obfuscating, Kirk.

Nice try, though!

Something tells me you still don't "get it".

[snip]

Good gosh. This is supposed to be a "light & fun" type of thread (for a change). Geez Louise. Lighten up.

Now, back to the "light & fun" stuff....

Who was the ABC announcer?

Edited by David Von Pein

2 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

Why was Marina Oswald Porter investigated by the Dallas Police Department in 1974?

Ooh! That's a good one, Tommy. Thanks.

I haven't the foggiest idea. (I didn't know she was "investigated" in '74.)

Was Marina suspected of being involved in Watergate perhaps? (Just kidding.)

Edited by David Von Pein

13 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Yes anyone really knows it's "my" over "me", (doesn't it just sound more proper?)but the average college graduate who doesn't major in English or Linguistics says it this way and you are correct, that is not correct English..

Dear Kirk,

Thank you for finally admitting that you were wrong the time you said "me losing" was correct.

I mean I mean I mean .... You did say that at one point, didn't you? Or didn't you?

I mean .... before or after or before or after you ..... edited it?

LOL

Edited by Thomas Graves

10 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Ooh! That's a good one, Tommy. Thanks.

I haven't the foggiest idea. (I didn't know she was "investigated" in '74.)

Was Marina suspected of being involved in Watergate perhaps? (Just kidding.)

Hint:  It involved a convenience store she was working at at the time.

Tommy, Dave's right,  you're in pins and needles wresting instantly  every response..None of my 2 instant edits were in any response to you. Believe it or not.  It seems very important to you to be the foremost Linguistic expert.  OK. But we're trying to have fun! If Dave and i picked apart each other's answers, it was in a spirit of fun.

Dave I can't give you an answer to who broadcasted it. Are you going to hold that out? i give up!

30 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

MY NEXT JFK ASSASSINATION TANGENTIALLY-RELATED TRIVIA QUESTION FOR Y'ALL:

Why was Marina Oswald Porter investigated by the Dallas Police Department in 1974?

It was petty theft wasn't it?

And is the gerund, "losing"?

Steve Thomas

24 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Dave I can't give you an answer to who broadcasted it. Are you going to hold that out? I give up!

Dear God, Kirk! Don't say "broadcasted" (with the "ed" on the end) while Tommy is on a "proper English" kick. He'll have your hide! Because the preferred word would be "broadcast" (I think). :)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/broadcast

Anyway, the "First Bulletin" answer is.....(drum roll).....Don Gardiner of ABC Radio. Here's that bulletin from my archives....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ERm-cucsE0ZUFvSmJPaE96Um8/view

Edited by David Von Pein