Jump to content
The Education Forum
Paz Marverde

Carter: the POTUS nearest to JFK?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Yes Jim, the Nixon and Kissinger lies were of monumental importance and consequence.

Trump's lies have not resulted in huge death toll war crimes.  However, Trump's lies about Russian influence and effect in our most major election process is also extremely important on so many levels. And should be addressed as seriously as Nixon's and Kissinger's.

Joe,

    The key word here is "huge."  There does seem to be compelling evidence that Trump has committed war crimes in Yemen and Syria, though nothing, so far, on the "huge" scale seen in Nixon's bombing campaign in Cambodia, (in which he said, "Henry, I want to send anything that can fly.")

    There is also compelling evidence that Trump lied about his pretexts for bombing Syria in April of 2017 and April of 2018.  General Mattis, himself, told Newsweek in February of this year that he had "no evidence" of chemical weapons use by the Assad regime in 2017, as claimed by Trump.

     BTW,  ABC Australia has just reported today that Trump plans to bomb Iran next month-- in what may be a political parallel to LBJ's use of the August Gulf of Tonkin incident prior to the 1964 election.  The source of the claim was, allegedly, a high-level Australian military official.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paz Marverde said:

Thanks for sharing. Found it really interesting 

        I mentioned that Faneuil Hall story/flashback after reading James DiEugenio's remarks, because he reminded me of how unpopular Jimmy Carter had become by November of 1979, at least in Massachusetts (which, admittedly, has long been the most "liberal" planet in the U.S. solar system.)

   

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

        I mentioned that Faneuil Hall story/flashback after reading James DiEugenio's remarks, because he reminded me of how unpopular Jimmy Carter had become by November of 1979, at least in Massachusetts (which, admittedly, has long been the most "liberal" planet in the U.S. solar system.)

   

     

Probably. But we should understand how he became so unpopular. His own fault? Not at all: the real explanation is he was victim of so many dirty tricks whose goal was to destroy his reputation. And not only that. That's more, but I keep it for me, at the moment  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paz Marverde said:

Probably. But we should understand how he became so unpopular. His own fault? Not at all: the real explanation is he was victim of so many dirty tricks whose goal was to destroy his reputation. And not only that. That's more, but I keep it for me, at the moment  

I agree.  And I voted for Jimmy Carter for POTUS TWICE back in the day-- a no-brainer for me.  I have always thought of Carter as a good man.

But, I had also forgotten how unpopular he had become in "liberal" circles by late 1979, until reading James DiEugenio's comment above.

Even during the 1976 Democratic primaries many of us thought Carter was too "bland" to be the liberal torch-bearer of the Democratic Party.

(I voted for Jerry Brown in the '76 Rhode Island Democratic primary, which Brown won.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I agree.  And I voted for Jimmy Carter for POTUS TWICE back in the day-- a no-brainer for me. 

This is what it means to have a free mind. Very well done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×