The Education Forum

Family Picture

Ron Bulman

This is my personal all time favorite photo of JFK, and family.  Sorry I can't provide a larger version.  Maybe someone else can, I looked around for one.  I've wanted to share it for some time, maybe others are familiar with it.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=DxzeZYSO&id=03853BA854B0C830C56DF34ED0802724A609B509&thid=OIP.DxzeZYSOjeQ2LkJYMEEDwwHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.claudiasbargains.com%2fimages%2fsource%2fbooks-catalogs-manuals%2fjfk-life-and-words-book%2f04-life-and-words-jfk-vintage-book-back.jpg&exph=800&expw=800&q=the+life+and+words+of+john+f+kennedy+james+playsted+wood&simid=608002346287956935&selectedIndex=16&qpvt=the+life+and+words+of+john+f+kennedy+james+playsted+wood&ajaxhist=0

The caption says it was taken November 14, 1963.  Obviously in the evening, seven and a half days before he died.  Holding hands, the kid's appearing to skip, he's smiling.

It's from the back cover of a book named The Life and Words of John F Kennedy by James Playstead Wood and the editors of Country Beautiful magazine, a subsidiary of Scholastic Books in 1964.  It's a children's booklet of 80 pages with lot's of black and white pictures.  The photo is not credited.  The front cover is, by Morton Trader: Pictorial Parade but I didn't find this picture googling Trader or the Parade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-LIFE-AND-WORDS-OF-JOHN-F-KENNEDY-BY-JAMES-PLAYSTED-WOOD-1964-/111790578220

Ron B.,

You called it.  "Holding hands, the kids appearing to skip, he's smiling."  So much going on there, so much vitality.  Seven and a half days to go.  Numerologically you know, John Fitz is a "lucky 7". 

Now it's my personal all-time favorite photo of the family too.  Thanks for that.

Edited by Roy Wieselquist

I Really wish there was a larger version available to share.    I found the booklet with it on the back  in a house in which my wife grew up for a few years.  It was partially boarded up and used for storage, my mother In law told me to keep it.  Having never seen it anywhere else in the 20 plus years since I've come to think of it as special.  

Not just for the rarity (on my part?) but the depth.   Nothing but darkness in the background.  Chasing, about to envelop them a week later.  But yet they all seem to be enjoying and embracing life at the moment.

Maybe it's just the sepia tone. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

2 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

Here's another very similar photo taken the same day at about the same time. I like this one even better....

4d6b3677d76a65acc32833674d89e26f.jpg

They compliment each other.  One on steps, the other crossing grass.  I've wondered before if they were coming back from or going to some specific function.  I guess it would be possible to determine that from his calendar via Mary Ferrell but I've never joined and the three free tries at a time get's frustrating with little time.  Is that the portico on the front of the Whitehouse in the background of the second picture?  I guess Bettmann/Corbis own the second picture?  Still curious who took it, the first or both of them.

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

I've wondered before if they were coming back from or going to some specific function.

After performing an intense and exhaustive investigation (with the aid of J. Edgar's top men at The Bureau  :)), I'm pretty sure those family pictures were taken on November 13th, not the 14th. Mrs. Kennedy was wearing the exact same coat and what appears to be the same piece of jewelry (a brooch attached to a neck scarf) during a White House event on 11/13/63 which was attended by all four people pictured in the image (the President, Jackie, John-John, and Caroline). [See video below.]

One aspect of this mystery that might seem puzzling to some people is the fact that the November 13th event in question took place on the White House South Lawn between 4:10 PM and 5:00 PM (Washington time), according to the JFK Library's White House Diary, but the two photographs above seem to show the First Family being photographed after dark. However, the apparent darkness in the pictures is probably due to the bright flashbulbs being used by the cameraman, giving the appearance of nighttime in the images even though it is daytime. Plus, logic would dictate that the President and his family probably wouldn't be walking around on the South Lawn in pitch darkness to pose for a photo-op. :)

Edited by David Von Pein