The Education Forum

Joan Higdon (Church Committee)

I learned from Malcolm Blunt that there was one Joan Higdon(?) who worked with indexing for the Church Committee and who ws later interviewed by the ARRB. I relate this story in another topic but it hasn't  been updated since then and I wanted a topic for discussion (and repository) for anything relating to Higdon and her testimony. Apparently documents concerning her work (or her perhaps?) can be found at the archives' site as at least indexed:

Box 50:

• 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Grossman, Dr. Robert [one tape removed]
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Guinn, Vincent [file not found as of 10/29/98]
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Gustafson, Patricia [file not found as of 10/29/98]
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Hagan, Joseph [two tapes removed]
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Hallet, Joan [one tape removed]
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Heckman, Beverly A.
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Helms, Richard [not found as of 11/2/98]
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Higdon, Joan
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Holmes, Russell
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Horbaly, William
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Horton, John
  • 4.0.5 Depositions/Interviews Hosty, James P.

(source: https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/review-board/series-04.html)

Blunt's commentary on her work her interview (or notes thereof) with the ARRB is fascinating yet short because there doesn't seem to be much on her than many know about. I was just curious if anyone knows in more detail what Malcolm Spoke of. Even the 2 investigator's were named by Higdon who were possibly threatened on the road. Perhaps those investigators are still alive? Its difficult to make out how to spell just from listening to Mr Blunt but all I could guess is "David Boucheau/Buchon(?) and Aron/Aaron(?)" as the investigators Higdon names who had access to "explosive" information. This is deeply fascinating but probably an area that we can classify as Alan Dale once put it "insufficient information" for now. Anyways, any help and info on this would be greatly appreciated. At least a topic is created to 'dump' info into should any of us come across anything.

Special thanks to Alan Dale and, of course, Malcolm Blunt.

Edited by B. A. Copeland

I never heard of her.

Was she an investigator for the Church Committee?

On 4/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, James DiEugenio said:

I never heard of her.

Was she an investigator for the Church Committee?

Apparently Jim, she worked with the Church Committee, yeah. She was involved with indexing?, according to Blunt (anyone who has heard this audio a million times such as myself please correct me if I’m wrong). I also believe Blunt says that she was brought to the attention of the Committee thanks to Jim Lesar so maybe he would have more info on her. 

She gave testimony to the ARRB but we only have notes that refer to said testimony so far.

Edited by B. A. Copeland

Thanks as I was unaware of that.

There is no transcript of her in the ARRB files?  Do you know who interviewed her?

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks as I was unaware of that.

There is no transcript of her in the ARRB files?  Do you know who interviewed her?

My pleasure Jim. No idea who interviewed her and as for a transcript, I am not sure either. This is based on one of Dale’s great shows with Blunt. Blunt stated that her interview may turn up in the 2017 release. He did not say who interviewed her but that there were notes taken of her interview.