The Education Forum

Commissioners Doubting the Commission

S.T. Patrick

Ladies and gentlemen,

I'm doing a full-page sidebar for the upcoming issue of garrison and it concerns Warren Commissioners who expressed doubts later. I was wondering if there was a single place where someone has these instances listed, or if maybe I could get some assistance by those posting them here? Though LBJ is not a commissioner, per se, I would also like to place his more ambiguous statements into the sidebar. Thank you.

This should get you started.

LBJ...1. Doubted the SBT. (Phone call with Russell)  2. Connected the assassination in his mind to Kennedy's actions in Vietnam and Cuba. (Various comments from 1963 to 1973). 

McCloy... 1. Doubted the SBT. (Notes on draft of Warren report)

Russell... 1. Doubted the SBT. (Phone call with LBJ)  2. Expressed outrage when he realized no transcripts were created in which his doubts were recorded. (Numerous articles and statements by Weisberg.)

Boggs... 1. Doubted the SBT. (Newspaper article?)

Cooper... 1. Doubted the SBT.  (HSCA testimony)

Ford... 1. Suspected Oswald was under the influence of someone, but stressed that the WC couldn't find any evidence of just who this was.. (Numerous interviews and articles over the years, including, as I recall, his HSCA testimony...and the intro to a limited edition WR put out shortly before his death). 

Warren Commission doubters

W.C. member Richard Russell said: "They [the FBI] have tried the case and reached a verdict on every count." Russell then wrote a letter of resigna­tion from the Warren Commission to Lyndon Johnson, which the President refused to accept.

W.C. member Hale Boggs said, "We have not been told the truth about Oswald." Boggs and Alaska Senator Nick Begich vanished when their small plane disappeared in the Alaska wilderness during a routine flight from Anchorage to Juneau.

W.C. member John I. McCloy told the HSCA in 1978, "I no longer feel we had no credible evidence or reliable evidence in regard to a conspiracy...."

W.C. member Senator John Sherman Cooper never agreed with the "single bullet theory," and expressed doubts to fellow members.

The two W.C. Commission members who remained committed to the conclusions of the Warren Report were, not surprisingly, former CIA Director Allen Dulles (who attended more WC meetings than any other member), and Gerald Ford, a man described by Newsweek the "CIA's best friend in Congress."

After leaving office, the man who created the Warren Commission, President Lyndon Johnson, expressed doubts about the Warren Commission's conclusion for the remain­der of his life. On one occasion he told his aide, Marvin Watson, that he was convinced there was a plot in connection with the assassination and "felt the CIA had something to do with the plot." Lyndon Johnson was correct, but it has taken JFK researchers nearly a half-century to arrive at the same conclusion.

I read a library copy many years ago so can't point out specifics but if you can get ahold of this book to purview prior to your article it might be useful.  I believe it's well respected by those more knowledgeable on the subject than I.  Seems like maybe Jim D. may have reviewed it several years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Breach-Trust-Warren-Commission-Failed/dp/0700619399