The Education Forum

A Phone Call From Out of the Blue - Laary Haapanen & Alan Rogers

Robert, Larry went on to conclude his research on this and published a great article

in the Lancer Chronicles detailing that work. I heartily recommend Larry's article.

Bottom line is its pretty clear that this indeed was a test call from the Silver Dollar

Emergency flying command center which was airborne that day.

The call has pretty well been cleared up.....on the other hand the reason behind

the apparent totaly rewrite of the aircrafts daily log for Nov. 22, especially as it

may relate to AF1 communications remains a much larger mystery and might

explain a good deal of the national security level communications that we don't

seem to see on the day of the President's assassination.

-- Larry

Robert, Larry went on to conclude his research on this and published a great article

in the Lancer Chronicles detailing that work. I heartily recommend Larry's article.

Bottom line is its pretty clear that this indeed was a test call from the Silver Dollar

The call has pretty well been cleared up.....on the other hand the reason behind

the apparent totaly rewrite of the aircrafts daily log for Nov. 22, especially as it

-- Larry

Thank's for the info, my main interest was in showing this to the Forum Members, not aware of it. Hopefully after the two day interruption it will get some attention. What the hell was that all about?

-- Larry

Thank's for the info, my main interest was in showing this to the Forum Members, not aware of it. Hopefully after the two day interruption it will get some attention. What the hell was that all about?

Hi Robert and Larry. And many thanks for bringing this up again.

Is there a link to the updated article at Lancer?

And Larry, I don't know how you can say "the Call has pretty well been cleared up..."

as if this was just another dead end alley and you take the word of the first guys down there that,

"There's noting to it." I think there is something to it. Besides giving us another code word for our vocabularly and outlining some of the chain of communications command, and their bases of operations, this line of inquiry leads us back to the White House Office of Communications, Liberty Station, and additional possible sources of an unedited tape of AF1 radio communcations on 11/22/63.

It's not that I don't trust Larry Happanen's take on it, it's just that no one investigator knows everything that's relevant.

Of course this is the most secretative areas of interest, especially if the asssasination was a coup, since, as Lutwack points out in his "Coup d'etat - A Practical Handbook," control of communications is an essential element.

BK

Bill, the article was in one of those issues of the Chronicles which was published

online to subscribers but I don't know whether or not its generally accessable online.

I'm sure Larry would supply a copy if you contact him.

As far as my remark goes, certainly I would qualify that as being Larry's conclusion

after extensive reasearch and my personal judgement that he was right. One of the

problems I see in ever bringing any of the JFK conspiracy to some sort of conclusion

is that at some point one has to start focusing - if every lead remains a mystery

then one wonders on forever.

Of course in the absense of legal process, the matter becomes subjective and

personal. It looks to me like Larry did a good job of resolving the issue - leaving

a much bigger issue open, that being the apparent national security cover-up

dealing with AF1 and related communications immediately follwoing the assassination.

Just my opinion of course, Larry

POWELL MEMO - MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD

POWELL, JAMES W. Special Agent, 112th INTC Group, 912 Rio Grande Building, Dallas, Texas, reside at 4049 Herschel Ave, Apartment 5, Dallas. On 22 November 1963, at approximately 1225 hours, I was standing at the corner of Austin Street and Main Street, Dallas, where I had just taken a picture of the late President John F. Kennedy and his wife as they passed in the motorcade. Hoping to get one more picture, I ran one block back to Elm Street, and down Elm towards the intersection of Elm Street and Houston Street. As I approached this intersection, at approximately 1228 hours, and was about one block away, Kennedy’s motorcade was just turning West off Houston Street. At this point, I heard at least two loud explosions, which I assumed could either have been shots from a firearm or some sort of fireworks. Several people in the crowd, which was at the intersection to view the motorcade as it passed, pointed up at the Texas School Book Depository (TSBDB), 411 South Elm Street. I took a photograph of the building at that instant. Several policeman, men from the Dallas County Sheriff’s Office, and newspapers and television reporters, were rushing toward the railroad switching yard behind the TSBDB. I followed them in order to learn what had happened. One of the television reporters, whose name I did not get, said that he heard that someone had fired a gun at Kennedy. I rushed back to the TSBDB, through the lobby, and into the first-floor office. There I heard Pearce Almond (phonetic), a newscaster fro WFAA Television Station, Dallas, who was telephoning his office. Almond said that he heard that Kennedy had been fired at and hit, and that the shots had may have come from the TSBDB. Almond had just talked with a construction worker supposedly witnessing the accident. I went upstairs to the second floor and telephoned my office. I reported what I had heard to Let. Col. Roy H. Pate, Region Commander. I then returned to the first floor, where I met and interviewed the aforementioned construction worker, an employee of Wallace Beard, Oil and Gas Building, Dallas. I did not have time to get the man’s name because the Dallas Police had to talk to him. I was able to learn from this man that he saw someone fire shots from approximately the sixth floor of the TSBDB, and that one of the shots hit Kennedy. This man said that Kennedy grabbed his chest and slumped forward, as the motorcade continued towards Stemmons Expressway. Kennedy’s wife, the man told me, attempted to jump out of the car. This was all the information I was able to obtain from this source. I rushed to the same telephone I had previously used and called my office to report this information. When I returned to the lobby of the TSBDB, I was met by policeman and men form the Dallas County Sheriff’s Office, some of whom were carrying shotguns. I identified myself with my credentials, but, along with everyone else in the building, I was detained. One of the law enforcement officers telephoned my office in order to further verify my identity. I gave them my name, the fact that I am a special agent with the United States Army Intelligence Corps, my business and home addresses, and my business and home telephone numbers. I was not allowed to leave the lobby of the building at that time. It was then approximately 1300 hours. I was released at 1345 hours and returned to my office.

James W. Powell

22 November 1963

Robert Warn?? – signature

Bill, the article was in one of those issues of the Chronicles which was published

online to subscribers but I don't know whether or not its generally accessable online.

I'm sure Larry would supply a copy if you contact him.

As far as my remark goes, certainly I would qualify that as being Larry's conclusion

after extensive reasearch and my personal judgement that he was right. One of the

problems I see in ever bringing any of the JFK conspiracy to some sort of conclusion

is that at some point one has to start focusing - if every lead remains a mystery

then one wonders on forever.

Of course in the absense of legal process, the matter becomes subjective and

personal. It looks to me like Larry did a good job of resolving the issue - leaving

a much bigger issue open, that being the apparent national security cover-up

dealing with AF1 and related communications immediately follwoing the assassination.

Just my opinion of course, Larry

Hi Larry, I hear you, and believe Larry Haapanen is one of the best researchers out there. He has helped me on many leads, and shared everything. I just don't think we've taken this lead as far as it can go.

So far we've learned about Silver Dollar, Waldorf, the NAOC, Combat Ciders and that Capt. W. P. Pat Giannaway was a Lt. Col. USAR.

All targets of a legal process if one is started.

In addition, the NARA and DOD FOIA response, an official at the DOD " had suggested that it was possible that the initial flight report was destroyed after the corrected one ws received..." certainly rings Orwellian (See my post Orwell and Oswald), right down the Memory Tube.

It appears that the phone call mentioned in the article is Powell calling his office. I also have some of Powell's testimony that I'll post.

BK

• 9 years later...

Bart, Powell gave a variety of statements, first an internal MIG report to his boss on his activities that day, then to the FBI, both in the early days after the assassination; he also handed over his film. All that should be available in the documents at MFF with a search. It's also on my CD Keys to the Conspiracy from Lancer. As to the 112th, anyone truly interested in this needs to dig into the extensive research that the ARRB performed on the 112th, both its headquarters and its field offices including several more interviews with 112th personnel. They also explored the actual duties of the unit and its role in security. All that should be available on line but I do know its on the CD I just mentioned because we got the original documents early on and most of them were scanned for the CD.

• 2 years later...
On 1/25/2016 at 5:30 AM, Larry Hancock said:

Bart, Powell gave a variety of statements, first an internal MIG report to his boss on his activities that day, then to the FBI, both in the early days after the assassination; he also handed over his film. All that should be available in the documents at MFF with a search. It's also on my CD Keys to the Conspiracy from Lancer. As to the 112th, anyone truly interested in this needs to dig into the extensive research that the ARRB performed on the 112th, both its headquarters and its field offices including several more interviews with 112th personnel. They also explored the actual duties of the unit and its role in security. All that should be available on line but I do know its on the CD I just mentioned because we got the original documents early on and most of them were scanned for the CD.

Larry - can you point to any source for more complete info on the 488th Military Intelligence Detachment?

I don't know of any official documents for that unit and I suspect the reason for that is that it was not a unit of the DOD/Army but rather something created at State level within Texas.  They had and still have a real habit of setting up quasi reserve units of former military personnel in order to give them titles, some pay and a reason to get out and play officer on occasion. Do to social connections they were sometimes "attached" to actual Reserve units as supplemental reserves.  But to find their records you would have to locate that parent unit and see if anything had been retained.  Anyway that is my best guess; I know folks have searched for records for ages but I don't know of anything that ever turned up except for some newspaper articles mentioning individuals who were noted as being part of the unit.....nothing at all operational.  State level units tend to come and go and nobody cares much about retaining files.

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

I don't know of any official documents for that unit and I suspect the reason for that is that it was not a unit of the DOD/Army but rather something created at State level within Texas.  They had and still have a real habit of setting up quasi reserve units of former military personnel in order to give them titles, some pay and a reason to get out and play officer on occasion. Do to social connections they were sometimes "attached" to actual Reserve units as supplemental reserves.  But to find their records you would have to locate that parent unit and see if anything had been retained.  Anyway that is my best guess; I know folks have searched for records for ages but I don't know of anything that ever turned up except for some newspaper articles mentioning individuals who were noted as being part of the unit.....nothing at all operational.  State level units tend to come and go and nobody cares much about retaining files.

In Brandy : Portrait of an Intelligence Officer, Brandstetter claims that he was assigned to the 488th by Colonel Rose, ACSI, in 1959. Brandstetter says ACSI was his military ‘boss’, to whom he reported on intelligence matters for 19 years beginning in 1956. Peter Dale Scott says that the 488th was in charge of the communications bunker underneath the Dallas Fairgrounds which opened in 1961 as part of what later became known as Continuity of Government contingency plans. In your opinion, should we believe the oral history of its founder, retired Army Colonel Jack Crichton, who said that there were 100 men in his unit, and 40-50 of them were members of the DPD? Where did the various news articles come up with the names of specific DPD members of The 488th, such as Lumpkin, Westbrook, and Gannaway? I’m not expecting you to know more than you’ve already written, just putting my question in context. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

I have no reason to disbelieve Creighton - however I have also talked to Texans who were in units like this and they have told me that the units were strictly Texas formations, set up for the reasons outlined in my other message.  They were probably closer to private military "clubs" than anything else but apparently in some instances they were linked to real Reserve units and I was told some of the fellows were quite shocked when they were called back up for Korea.  I don't really know anything about Brandstetter other than what I see about his book on Amazon and I'd have to say I'm more than a little skeptical. I'd have to devote a lot of time before I would accept any of his assertions.  As to PDS, I guess I would have to know his citation for that although it seems reasonable enough. Those emergency bunkers were funded and operated at state and city level and were only peripheral assets to COG.   For a much more detailed study of this area as well as the concept of COG I would recommend Raven Rock by Garrett Graff, a 2017 book which provides far more detail than PDS's book (which I have read).  Its an excellent 500 page exploration of the real world origins and evolution of COG. 

Edited by Larry Hancock

43 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

I have no reason to disbelieve Creighton - however I have also talked to Texans who were in units like this and they have told me that the units were strictly Texas formations, set up for the reasons outlined in my other message.  They were probably closer to private military "clubs" than anything else but apparently in some instances they were linked to real Reserve units and I was told some of the fellows were quite shocked when they were called back up for Korea.  I don't really know anything about Brandstetter other than what I see about his book on Amazon and I'd have to say I'm more than a little skeptical. I'd have to devote a lot of time before I would accept any of his assertions.  As to PDS, I guess I would have to know his citation for that although it seems reasonable enough. Those emergency bunkers were funded and operated at state and city level and were only peripheral assets to COG.   For a much more detailed study of this area as well as the concept of COG I would recommend Raven Rock by Garrett Graff, a 2017 book which provides far more detail than PDS's book (which I have read).  Its an excellent 500 page exploration of the real world origins and evolution of COG. 

Thanks Larry - I’ll take a look at Raven’s Rock. 

I wasn’t all that interested in reading Brandstetter’s co-written autobiography. But I was able to read about 140 pages free on Smashwords and got hooked, paid $2.99 for the rest. Very interesting life, lots about his time in Havana, and Acapulco, and his friendships with De Vosjoli, Gordon McLendon, and others. Highly recommend it.