The Education Forum

"In the Name of Love"

Just now listening to this song; great song about Martin Luther King, Jr. Probably heard the song twenty times or so before I caught the line indicating it was about Dr. King. It was U2's first "Top Forty" Hit; Rolling Stone ranks it #378; I'd put it much higher!

One man come in the name of love

One man come and go

One man come, he to justify

One man to overthrow

In the name of love

What more in the name of love

In the name of love

One man caught on a barbed wire fence

One man he resist

One man washed on an empty beach.

One man betrayed with a kiss

In the name of love

In the name of love

(nobody like you...)

Early morning, April 4

Shot rings out in the Memphis sky

Free at last, they took your life

They could not take your pride

In the name of love

In the name of love

In the name of love

What more in the name of love...

Edited by Tim Gratz

Im not much of a u2 fan myself, Im probably the only irishman to say so.

Great song all the same.

I take it that you believe King was killed as part of a conspiracy.

Taking a step back from the King assassination and looking at it from accross the water you realise King was absolutely hated by whites in the south. Just watch any footage of him on marches, the abuse he received from whites was horrendous, its so patently obvious that he was killed for what he stood for and what he could have done.

This line says it all

'one man betrayed with a kiss' referring to the FBI man working on the inside of kings group, wearing a tie on the day of the assassination.

John

John, I think THAT line refers to the Lord.

But I do suspect King was killed by a conspiracy. Hemming, by the way, connects a Robert Emmett Johnson and Saul Sague to the King assassination. I believe he believes that Johnson was "Rauol" and Sague helped Rauol escape.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Hi Tim,

Im currently looking into johnson and sague. Im going to contact soldier of fortune magazine who johnson wrote for in the 70s.

The picture i get of sague so far is that he was born in germany, was met by william harvey in berlin, attempted to kill castro, invovled with oswald, involved in mlk assassination, who knows after that.

John

Just now listening to this song; great song about Martin Luther King, Jr.  Probably heard the song twenty times or so before I caught the line indicating it was about Dr. King.  It was U2's first "Top Forty" Hit; Rolling Stone ranks it #378; I'd put it much higher!

One man come in the name of love

One man come and go

One man come, he to justify

One man to overthrow

In the name of love

In the name of love

One man caught on a barbed wire fence

One man he resist

One man washed on an empty beach.

One man betrayed with a kiss

In the name of love

In the name of love

(nobody like you...)

Early morning, April 4

Shot rings out in the Memphis sky

Free at last, they took your life

They could not take your pride

In the name of love

In the name of love

In the name of love

What more in the name of love...

GREAT SONG. I saw U-2 live over 20 years ago and when they played this song "Pride in the Name of Love" I actually felt PATRIOTIC, something I was not used to feeling. I thought this song should be the National ANthem. For years I had these lyrics framed on the wall to my law office.

Oh, John that line DOES refer to Jesus. It's well known that U-2 are Christians.

Did everyone see Bono open with Paul yesterday at Live 8? It was GREAT. Here in the states they repeated two hours of the concert on network tv from 7-9. So I watched it again. Great concert, and so moving and inspiring to see all the people all over the world. My only complaint, and it was a major one, was all the commercials in the middle of this great music.

Once again loving rock musicians are taking a major stand against poverty...the religious leaders of the world should have been ashamed yesterday.

Yea for rock and roll!!! And Bob Geldoff....there are no words.

Dawn

Dawn, "ditto" to your post!

Bono is a great guy who is trying to accomplish many things. And he is well-respected by people of different political persuasions.

Of course, I think there is also a spiritual message to the U2 song: "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

Dawn, "ditto" to your post!

Bono is a great guy who is trying to accomplish many things. And he is well-respected by people of different political persuasions.

Wow, so that's two things we AGREE on. :))

Dawn

It was a little strange to see the pics of Bono hanging out with W. Just goes to show his comittment to this.

Guest Stephen Turner

A band I played with used to play this song as a finale, thanks for the memories Tim. I dont think I ever got to the end without a tear or two. "They took your life, They could not take your pride." OPPPS misting up.

Well, how 'bout Pat Robertson and Bono and George Clooney? From an editorial in the July 6, 2005 "New York Times":

Nevertheless, when I spotted Robertson in a lineup of celebrities including Brad Pitt, Bono, George Clooney and the also-never-boring Dennis Hopper, I was delighted to see him. He was in the One Campaign's television ad asking for help in the crusade against poverty, starvation and AIDS in Africa and elsewhere.

In the commercial, Robertson says, "Americans have an unprecedented opportunity," and then Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, of all people, finishes his sentence, concluding that "we can make history."

On a recent "Nightline," Robertson showed up with his new best friend, Clooney. When asked if his group Operation Blessing would promote "the responsible use of condoms" along with abstinence in its AIDS education program in Africa, Robertson answered, "Absolutely." Pat Robertson!

Tim, you're forgetting about Bono's first big backer among the right, and one of the first converts to African debt relief: Jesse Helms!

I'm also surprised that with your attention to detail, you haven't pointed out that U2, in true liberal fashion, got at least one of their facts wrong. King was killed in the afternoon, not the morning.

And, FWIW, Adam Clayton was raised protestant but is now reportedly a non-believer.

Thanks, Pat. I'm not even sure if I remembered that about Helms.

Conservative as I am, I did not particularly care for Helms.

Pat, what was the relationship between Jesse and Richard?

Edited by Tim Gratz

They had a Massachusetts wedding, long before it was legal. John Kerry performed the services. With Willie Horton in attendance! (That wedding crasher Willie!) GHWB came as Boy Gray's date, and Dubya parked the cars for beer money!

They had a Massachusetts wedding, long before it was legal. John Kerry performed the services. With Willie Horton in attendance! (That wedding crasher Willie!) GHWB came as Boy Gray's date, and Dubya parked the cars for beer money!

Thanks Pat, my laugh of the day!!

Dawn

• 3 weeks later...

Im currently looking into johnson and sague. Im going to contact soldier of fortune magazine who johnson wrote for in the 70s. (John Geraghty)

John,

Robert Emmett Johnson also wrote for True Magazine. He authored an interesting article titled, "I Stuck Pins In A Voodoo Dictator" which appeared in a 1968 issue. I have the article in question and he mentions some very interesting characters. One in particular is Marc Krause. If one was putting together a French assassination team then Krause would be the first man hired. (IMO)

James