The Education Forum

Michael Brownlow

Tim Gratz

From another forum, there is apparently a Michael Brownlow in Dallas who conducts tours of the grassy knoll and the area where J. D. Tippitt was murdered.

He was in DP as a young man with his grandmother and he and his grandmother are pictured in the Trask book.

Significantly, he has stated that he saw gunfire from behind the picket fence.

Is anyone familiar with this man and his claim? How old was he at the time of the assassination?

I found this reference to Brownlow from the "Steamshovel Press":

I just returned from a trip to Roswell- Alamogordo- Carlsbad- Odessa- Midland and Dallas and at Dallas I stopped in again at the Sixth Floor museum. Before entering, I had a chat with Michael Brownlow, an assassination eyewitness who diligently tells his tale from the grassy knoll to all who will listen, even on a July day long before the big crowds of the November convergence. I had a nice talk with him, going over things like the railyard tower where Lee Bowers, a fellow eyewitness later found dead under unusual circumstances, had worked; other eyewitnesses who had likely been slain; the arrest of the tramps in the railyard (my interest, since one of themmay have been Fred Crisman.) He warned me off the museum since it primarily presents the Warren Commission view and doesn't allow photography. I had not been up in the book depository for a while,though, so I decided to check it out.I had the reaction that Brownlow predicted, disgust at how the Sixth Floor Museum distorts reality [by Kenn Thomas]

Brownlow with RG. I believe I met him more than twice. The account of he and his Grandmother being present is consistent with what he told me in 2004, however, he said nothing about having seen gunfire from behind the fence - not to me anyway. He also mentioned Zapruder's girls [plural] walking by - he was acquainted with them, which left me under the impression that they would have been two of the unidentified blond women standing close to the Newman family at the sidewalk on Elm. Also, that he knew the cop personally that was stationed on the south side of the underpass well, and that there was no chance a shot ever came from this location - can't say I disagreed. Name of the cop escapes as usual.

- lee

post-675-1189660515_thumb.jpg

Good to hear from you, Lee, and very interesting that Mr. Brownlow never mentioned the gunfire to you.

Premature to assume he made it up. For all we know the post I found was misquoting him. If I can find his number I shall try to call him and inquire.

Tim, I've met and talked to Brownlow on two separate occasions. I include him as a witness on my witness list at patspeer.com. He told me the same story each time. He was with his grandma in front of the Dal Tex. He heard four shots. He had NO IDEA where they came from, but, seeing people run towards the knoll, ASSUMED the shots came from the knoll.

He stands on the knoll with Groden, selling his videos. Brownlow has interviewed many of the Dallas citizens on the periphery of the assassination, and sells videos of his interviews.. In my opinion he is very knowledgeable. I am totally surprised by the allegation he claims to have seen a shooter, and doubt he said anything so wild. Both times I spoke to him, a year apart, he mentioned that he personally liked Jean Hill and Beverly Oliver, but had extreme doubts they'd seen any shooters on the knoll.

Good to hear from you, Lee, and very interesting that Mr. Brownlow never mentioned the gunfire to you.

Premature to assume he made it up. For all we know the post I found was misquoting him. If I can find his number I shall try to call him and inquire.

Tim, I've met and talked to Brownlow on two separate occasions. I include him as a witness on my witness list at patspeer.com. He told me the same story each time. He was with his grandma in front of the Dal Tex. He heard four shots. He had NO IDEA where they came from, but, seeing people run towards the knoll, ASSUMED the shots came from the knoll.

He stands on the knoll with Groden, selling his videos. Brownlow has interviewed many of the Dallas citizens on the periphery of the assassination, and sells videos of his interviews.. In my opinion he is very knowledgeable. I am totally surprised by the allegation he claims to have seen a shooter, and doubt he said anything so wild. Both times I spoke to him, a year apart, he mentioned that he personally liked Jean Hill and Beverly Oliver, but had extreme doubts they'd seen any shooters on the knoll.

I, like others have met and talked to Mr. Brownlow at the pergolas end, where the steps start. He and Robert Groden set up several times a week selling Grodens books, and such, and swapping assassination stories. I talked to him several times, and he never mentioned seeing anything. All he had to ad was that he was there with his family. I dont know how old he is, but he cant be much older than me, so he couldnt have been that old. I was in the 3rd grade when the assassination took place. I dont think anyone that age would be that alert to notice these things and recall these events so clearly after all these years. Im not saying he didnt, but I find it hard to believe, as I cant recall much about anything about 3rd grade, let alone yesterday. I can believe that he heard what his family talked about for years, and has elaborated it to the point it has become today. [if he is saying what you say hes saying] No offense to Mike intended, as he seemed like a very nice guy. He is just working alongside of Bob Groden trying to inform people who come to the plaza. I have his # and mailing address. If you want it, contact me through the message board. thanks-smitty

• 1 year later...

I, like others have met and talked to Mr. Brownlow at the pergolas end, where the steps start. He and Robert Groden set up several times a week selling Grodens books, and such, and swapping assassination stories. I talked to him several times, and he never mentioned seeing anything. All he had to ad was that he was there with his family. I dont know how old he is, but he cant be much older than me, so he couldnt have been that old. I was in the 3rd grade when the assassination took place. I dont think anyone that age would be that alert to notice these things and recall these events so clearly after all these years. Im not saying he didnt, but I find it hard to believe, as I cant recall much about anything about 3rd grade, let alone yesterday. I can believe that he heard what his family talked about for years, and has elaborated it to the point it has become today. [if he is saying what you say hes saying] No offense to Mike intended, as he seemed like a very nice guy. He is just working alongside of Bob Groden trying to inform people who come to the plaza. I have his # and mailing address. If you want it, contact me through the message board. thanks-smitty

Hi, yes, I also met Mike, back in 2005. Mike had to have been eight years old at the time of the assassination.

Roy Bierma

Hi, yes, I also met Mike, back in 2005. Mike had to have been eight years old at the time of the assassination.

Roy Bierma

At the time Robert introduced me to his helper, he called him ANDREW BROWN.

I never heard of Mike Brownlow.

Jack

Oh, you know, Mike is a fixture at Dealey Plaza. He knows a lot of Dallas Police. He feuds with Groden occasionally. Professor Bill Pulte has brought him to my office a few times. Mike never mentioned seeing gunfire to me (and believe me he mentions everything)!

Mike told me he was privy to a secret service agent wounded by gunfire that day, and that this agent was willing to be videotaped in my studio and discuss it. Naturally, I would have loved to videotape this admission and change the course of history (certainly it would require an additional shot, since all of the other shots have been "documented" ad naseum).

Of course nothing ever came of that project.

Mike is knowledgeable, but I take it all with a grain of salt.

He's def a colorful character, though.