The Education Forum

How we eat our young

(If not appropriate for this section, please move to appropriate area)

People who know me will know I don't agree with Jim Fetzer on most issues (e.g. 9-11, Apollo). Hell, I can't think of an issue where we do agree. Still, as a non-JFK person, I am pretty amazed at the way some people have turned against him and all but declared him as the antichrist. He has posted material and opinions which many people do not agree with. Some of those people have previously been his ardent supporters. Now that he differs in aspects of his beliefs (with respect to historical events, not religious or spiritual beliefs), some people have now started not just disagreeing with him but are disowning him, actively calling into question his abilities / sanity / whatever.

Why can't his previous 'friends' just say they disagree with - but still respect - him? It seems that some researchers are unable to tolerate anyone who disagrees with their particular theories, who differ from their cult.

What does this say about those people?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the post I made first which Fetzer responded to with disgust was apt. Some people are just nuts. I thought a daft comment like that could prove telling. Anyway, I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round.

It's not just that he recycles ideas long discarded by better-informed researchers; that he almost never budges from his viewpoints; or that he has false faith in critical thinking, which can be easily misused to push a bias. The reason that he gets little respect - that he, himself, has squandered his respect - is that he treats anyone who disagrees with him with condescending disrespect.

Any good teacher knows that you have to teach on a wavelength to which the listener is attuned; But his teaching style seems to be that "I'm smarter than you, and you must be uninformed, unintelligent or a disinfo agent if you don't agree." I'll never admit to his face that he's a smart guy of some substance, but he has a fatal flaw in terms of intellectual maturity which draws him into conflict with others and prevents him from seeing the causal connection between his own actions and the response by others.

When Dr. Fetzer started referring to anyone who raised questions about his points as a "disinformation agent" or worse, he lost most of his credibility with me. Most who would educate would WELCOME questions, in order to better explain their points. Fetzer, on the other hand, apparently sees any and all questions as attacks. So in that respect, I'm done with Dr. Fetzer....and for the record, I'm simply a student of the JFK assassination, and not a "disinformation agent."

For the record, isn't there one instance in which Fetzer has admitted he was wrong? He originally endorsed the book Regicide, then later backtracked, although I don't recall to what extent.

Evan,

It takes a big man to defend someone who is your ideological opposite. Not only that, but someone who has said some unkind things about you in the past. I seldom agree with you about anything either, but I admire you for your magnanimous posture.

Jim Fetzer's style is grating, and he manages to sound pompous no matter what he says. I cringe every time he uses the word "egad!" However, until recently (and yes, I agree it is sad to see how tenaciously he clings to Cinque's uncredible photo interpretations), his substance has usually been impressive. It's not like he's claiming JFK survived the shooting or something. Extreme? Certainly. Outlandish. To most of us, yes. But I don't think it warrants the kind of blanket condemnation he's received from nearly everyone.

Fetzer refuses to give up, will not back down, and won't admit he's wrong. However, why do so many here keep arguing with him, when you know what the response is going to be? The same thing with Cinque; I didn't understand what he was seeing in the photos, but I did defend his right to air his opinion. I also think he made some good points, on the rare occasions he strayed from his film interpretations. In my view, there are more than reasonable doubts about the identity of the figure in the doorway. I hope that the circus sideshow surrounding Cinque's theories don't create a false consensus that this issue has been settled.

People who know me will know I don't agree with Jim Fetzer on most issues (e.g. 9-11, Apollo). Hell, I can't think of an issue where we do agree. Still, as a non-JFK person, I am pretty amazed at the way some people have turned against him and all but declared him as the antichrist. He has posted material and opinions which many people do not agree with. Some of those people have previously been his ardent supporters. Now that he differs in aspects of his beliefs (with respect to historical events, not religious or spiritual beliefs), some people have now started not just disagreeing with him but are disowning him, actively calling into question his abilities / sanity / whatever.

Why can't his previous 'friends' just say they disagree with - but still respect - him? It seems that some researchers are unable to tolerate anyone who disagrees with their particular theories, who differ from their cult.

Evan has prefaced his questions with certain premises which, in my opinion, could have been phrased more accurately than they were.

Who are Jim Fetzer's ardent supporters that have turned against him?

Evan merely says how he can't think of an issue where he and Fetzer agree, but he leaves unsaid just how ascerbic some of his discussions with Fetzer were.

There is one good friend that we all know of, but the reason for that estrangement is a personal and complicated one.

What cult is Evan referring to? Who are these "previous friends" that Evan is referring to? Who are "those people?"

Evan does not claim to respect Jim Fetzer. If he does not, why should others?

Although Don Jeffries feels that Evan is defending Jim Fetzer, I actually don't think that's the case. Evan's post was destined to get members

to say negative things about Jim Fetzer, and that is exactly what has happened so far.

Edited by Michael Hogan

I am probably going to get a bit of trouble for this ( other moderators, if this post needs to be hidden, by all means, do so.)

Many of us argue, and yet keep a level of respect. Most folk here will take evidence to heart, and if they make a mistake, they will admit it. We are supposed to be providing ideas and evidence to each other. Sometimes we are wrong. It is OK to be wrong. It is how we react to it that is important.

Many of the people here have endearing qualities as well which shine through what they write. Their posts exhibit the human qualities that we all possess. That is what makes them likeable.

Dr. Fetzer doesn't do that, IMO. His posts are written in a yelling manner, and I almost feel that I am reading things written by Oz, the Great and Powerful, instead of the man behind the curtain. This is exactly how it is to me:

"

Kathy,

Wow.

You said a great deal there. I very much appreciate your courage to say what you said...and your very (IMO) astute observations.

Evan has prefaced his questions with certain premises which, in my opinion, could have been phrased more accurately than they were.

Who are Jim Fetzer's ardent supporters that have turned against him?

Evan merely says how he can't think of an issue where he and Fetzer agree, but he leaves unsaid just how ascerbic some of his discussions with Fetzer were.

There is one good friend that we all know of, but the reason for that estrangement is a personal and complicated one.

What cult is Evan referring to? Who are these "previous friends" that Evan is referring to? Who are "those people?"

Evan does not claim to respect Jim Fetzer. If he does not, why should others?

Although Don Jeffries feels that Evan is defending Jim Fetzer, I actually don't think that's the case. Evan's post was destined to get members

to say negative things about Jim Fetzer, and that is exactly what has happened so far.

Great stuff, Michael. "Spot on" as they say in the vernacular across the pond...

[deleted by author due to repetition of previously posted information.]

Edited by Mark Knight

Sorry if people have misintrepted what I meant, but Don is pretty much spot on. Even though people who have previously been strong supporters of Jim Fetzer now disagree with him, I am surprised that some have turned on him with such venom. Why can't they just disagree with him on issues?

I do the same with people here: I disagree with Len Colby on a number of issues but still respect him and support his right to voice his opinion. The same applies to Craig Lamson; I suspect much of our politics are opposite and I have said in the past he is just plain wrong on some issues... but I still respect him. I don't think he has somehow been "turned to the dark side" or has become my arch enemy... I just disagree with him.

The purpose of the thread was not to Fetzer bash; it was to ask why some researchers cannot accept that someone - who has common goals with them - can hold a divergent opinion. After all, most of you believe that JFK was not assassinated by LHO but by other forces, that there was a conspiracy involved. If you believe that LBJ conspired with the CIA to have JFK knocked off, why is someone who believes that LBJ conspired with the mafia to kill JFK so horrible? Aren't you all seeking what you believe to be the truth?

It seems that some people treat it like a religion: if you don't agree with MY intrepretation, well you're going to hell!

Oh - and I do not respect Jim's method of debate, I agree he refuses to admit when he is wrong. But I have never been a supporter of his, have I?

Sorry if people have misintrepted what I meant, but Don is pretty much spot on. Even though people who have previously been strong supporters of Jim Fetzer now disagree with him, I am surprised that some have turned on him with such venom. Why can't they just disagree with him on issues?

I do the same with people here: I disagree with Len Colby on a number of issues but still respect him and support his right to voice his opinion. The same applies to Craig Lamson; I suspect much of our politics are opposite and I have said in the past he is just plain wrong on some issues... but I still respect him. I don't think he has somehow been "turned to the dark side" or has become my arch enemy... I just disagree with him.

The purpose of the thread was not to Fetzer bash; it was to ask why some researchers cannot accept that someone - who has common goals with them - can hold a divergent opinion. After all, most of you believe that JFK was not assassinated by LHO but by other forces, that there was a conspiracy involved. If you believe that LBJ conspired with the CIA to have JFK knocked off, why is someone who believes that LBJ conspired with the mafia to kill JFK so horrible? Aren't you all seeking what you believe to be the truth?

It seems that some people treat it like a religion: if you don't agree with MY intrepretation, well you're going to hell!

Evan, instead of claiming that people misinterpreted what you meant (wrote?) why not address the questions in my post?

Who has "turned on Fetzer with such venom?"

What cult are you referring to?

Who are these ardent supporters of Jim Fetzer that you keep referring to?

You state that you do not respect Jim Fetzer's method of debate. Why would you expect anyone else to?

I believe you and Jim Fetzer may have common goals. Aren't both of you seeking what you believe to be the truth about 9/11?

You claim that you respect the right of LC or CL to voice their opinion. If they started insulting you for no reason and ridiculing

you for posting facts (not opinions) and consistently misrepresented your claims, what would be your response?

It's been a few years but I used to read some of the things you wrote about Fetzer and he about you. It wasn't always pretty.

You've almost tempted me to go back and find some of them. Some of them contained marked rancor on both sides.

Most of the posters in the JFK section allow for divergent opinions. It happens hundreds of times a day and there is no venom or rancor

exchanged. I think you're smart enough to figure out why Fetzer is a different story.

Evan, you've been a moderator for a long time. Do you think there are members that violate the spirit of Forum rules more often than Jim Fetzer?

I'm sure you think Don Jeffries is "spot on." After all, he describes you as a big man with a magnanimous posture.

Hi Evan, I think what you meant was clear to most. The short answer is a long history in which his "method of debate" has always been the 'you're either with me or you are against me' mentality ... and if you happen to be in disagreement with whatever he is espousing at the time, there is something wrong with you personally .... and he makes that loud and clear incessantly. You are suspicious, an intel op, stupid, unqualified, dishonest, and one of the greatest sins of all is that you obviously haven't read all of his wonderful materials as he has told you to do so it is no wonder you are so stupid. Unfortunately, many of his friends, for whatever reason, went along with him and lauded his behavior. Until it happened to them.

But in the last few years, there have been several who put their foot down about something, stuck to their guns, and the result has been a few quite public falls from his grace. The most recent example is one case. There were a few during the Judyth Exile thread, perhaps most notably the quite public "divorce" from Jack White who was deeply hurt, but to Jack's credit, he stuck to what he believed was right, and in the Limo Windshield thread, Doug Weldon. Both, as well as several others did do exactly what you asked about ..... saying 'on this we disagree, let's just leave it at that and move on and keep it on the evidence' and some, like Greg, as I recall, asked for an apology.

It only works when *both* parties have the ability to do that. Fetzer, in my 15 or so years experience with him, has never demonstrated that ability. It seems apparent to most that he doesn't even listen, read or consider what the other party is saying .... he just pronounces himself right and there is something wrong with anyone who does not agree so he just repeats himself over and over and over. I got messages from a few different people during those threads from people who told me they didn't know how they could have ever been so blind and were just devastated at the loss of what they had thought was a real friendship with Fetzer. They felt so used.

It is sad really .... not just because people, including Fetzer, get hurt, but because whatever anyone believes about any element of the case, if we could step back and consider things from the other guy's perspective, we could all learn more and just maybe actually resolve some issues and move things forward.

As someone I admire once said, if you keep at people long enough, they are eventually going to respond in kind. And I think that is one reason this thread you started, the question you asked, and people's ability to vent a bit, is important. Thank you for that. I hope we can move on to a better place in this crazy arena, and have important rigorous debates that attack evidence, not one another on a personal level, just because they disagree.

Bests,

Barb :-)