The Education Forum

Japanese linguist John Hurt

Jim Root

The last few weeks have been extremely exciting in my quest for answers to my questions that surround the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Many pieces of the puzzle seem to be falling into place for me ("Big Fish" and "Route of the Dallas Motorcade") in particular.

It just occured to me that the Japanese linguist, John Hurt, that worked with Maxwell Taylor in the "old munitions building" prior to WWII and whom I believe Edwin Walker was associated with prior to that time, was a Japanese linguist. DUH!

John Hurt also had a security clearence of the highest level while working within the "Magic" program that broke the Japanese code during WWII. This information was not declassified until after the assassination of JFK (giving reason to hide the name of this John Hurt if this is in fact the "real" John Hurt that Oswald was attempting to contact while in custody after the assassination).

If this John Hurt continued working for intelligence it could be assumed he would continue working in association with the Japanese language and issues centering around Japan. DUH!

Astugi airbase is in Japan and this is where some people believe that Oswald first made contact with elements of some intelligence organization/s.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone else or is it a dead end road?

Jim Root

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Jim, I agree we are moving forward.

Since Lee Oswald called a man in Raleigh North Carolina the night he was in jail in Dallas, and that man's name was John Hurt, then you are on the right track.

A John Hurt in the Signal Intelligence, a Japanese linguist from the WWII era,

would tend to be an interesting choice for the counter-defector, Oswald.

Atsugi was not only a radio signals asia center, it was the asian center for the MK-ULTRA, and government documents show 100,000 dosages of LSD-25 in the

safe at Atsugi in the period in question, 1959-1963.

Maxwell Taylor and Marshall Carter became heads of the Plans and Joint

paramilitary agency structures, and structurally should have been aware

of OPERATION TILT and the activities of a counter defecting former Atsugi

Marine. The joint agency (military and civilian) model that General Maxwell

Taylor brought to bear in the OPERATION PHOENIX counter-insurgency

and assassination effort was inaugurated the night of November 21,

1963 when McGeorge Bundy changed the parameters and tasking mission

for US forces in Indochina.

John Hurt, as is obvious from the above, was a string Oswald was trying to pull,

and a solid lead for us today into the Signals and Joint Operations context

of the 1959-64 period, as it points to a PROGRAM to run an AGENT

via the well known and partially exposed MK ULTRA mind control

and counter defector assassination directorate.

So yes, a signals intelligence translator from the Cold War era in Japan,

would be a very telling person for the "Communist" or patsy, to call from jail

right before he died.

Shanet Clark

The last few weeks have been extremely exciting in my quest for answers to my questions that surround the assassination of John F. Kennedy.  Many pieces of the puzzle seem to be falling into place for me ("Big Fish" and "Route of the Dallas Motorcade") in particular.

It just occured to me that the Japanese linguist, John Hurt, that worked with Maxwell Taylor in the "old munitions building" prior to WWII and whom I believe Edwin Walker was associated with prior to that time, was a Japanese linguist.  DUH!

John Hurt also had a security clearence of the highest level while working within the "Magic" program that broke the Japanese code during WWII.  This information was not declassified until after the assassination of JFK (giving reason to hide the name of this John Hurt if this is in fact the "real" John Hurt that Oswald was attempting to contact while in custody after the assassination).

If this John Hurt continued working for intelligence it could be assumed he would continue working in association with the Japanese language and issues centering around Japan.  DUH!

Astugi airbase is in Japan and this is where some people believe that Oswald first made contact with elements of some intelligence organization/s.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone else or is it a dead end road?

Jim Root

Does any of this make any sense to anyone else or is it a dead end road? (Jim Root)

Hi Jim,

This does make a lot of sense and you are on the right track. I addition to Hurt, research on Frank Rowlett, Abraham Sinkov and Solomon Kullback will provide a historical context for where Hurt was placed amongst the ranks of the NSA and why our lowly Lee Harvey Oswald, Atsugi Radar Operator and Soviet defector would be associated.

In the image below, that is John Hurt third from the left standing.

The other men are: Left to right standing, Mark Rhodes, Solomon Kullback, John Hurt, Edward Vogel, Frank Rowlett, Abraham Sinkov.

Left to right seated, A.J. McGrail, W. Preston Corderman, William Friedman.

James

Shanet

Are you sure of that Phoenix date, November 21, 1963....This is getting deep.

McGeorge Bundy was part of what I call the "Italian Group" during WWII (see backround in the "Why Assassination Necessary" thread) and worked with John J. McCloy and Maxwell Taylor in the surrender of Italy and the formation of civilian government in occupied territories.

Wasn't Operation Phoenix run by William Colby who came to the OSS via the 99th Battalion (later commanded by Edwin Walker) during WWII?

Wasn't Operation Phoenix similar to covert operations carried out during the Greek Civil War while Edwin Walker was running the Greek desk at the Pentagon? The Greek Civil War where Thomas Karamesssines (the person in Richard Helms office that was monitoring Oswald's movements) got his start in the CIA.

Does this sound like "Seven Days in May?"

Jim Root

James

You amaze me....but for the first time I can say, "I already had that picture." Thanks for posting it because I don't have that ability, John had to help me post my picture for this forum.

Of the group you named, Friedman, Kullback, Rowlett and Sinkov, I believe, are in the NCS Hall of Fame (Hurt has been left out). I wonder why? By the way, David Kahn is the one who placed Hurt in the "old munitions building" at the same time Maxwell Taylor was there. Taylor was also, at that time, translating Japanese military manuals into English for the Army making a Taylor - Hurt (both fluent in Japanese/both top security clearence) connection a very real possibility.

Edwin Walker was stationed at Schofield Barracks (which was associated with our listening post in Hawaii) until November 5, 1941 when he was suddenly recalled to the United States. It was by the end of October 1941 that the Magic group had decerned that the Japanese would launch some sort of attack by the end of November. As we all know they were close, December 7th 1941 being the actual date. If Walker had been at Pearl Harbor on the 7th he may have remained in the Pacific Theater for the remainder of the War. Instead he would go on to command the elitly trained First Special Services Force which was initially formed to destroy the heavy water production in Norway and stop the Nazi Atomic Bomb Program.

Once again a curiosity of dates in the life of Edwin Anderson Walker.

Jim Root

Shanet

Are you sure of that Phoenix date, November 21, 1963....This is getting deep.

McGeorge Bundy was part of what I call the "Italian Group" during WWII (see backround in the "Why Assassination Necessary" thread) and worked with John J. McCloy and Maxwell Taylor in the surrender of Italy and the formation of civilian government in occupied territories.

Wasn't Operation Phoenix run by William Colby who came to the OSS via the 99th Battalion (later commanded by Edwin Walker) during WWII?

Wasn't Operation Phoenix similar to covert operations carried out during the Greek Civil War while Edwin Walker was running the Greek desk at the Pentagon?  The Greek Civil War where Thomas Karamesssines (the person in Richard Helms office that was monitoring Oswald's movements) got his start in the CIA.

Does this sound like "Seven Days in May?"

Jim Root

Yes to all these, the GREEK situation was very touchy throughout this period,

as they bordered the iron curtain, and had nationalist and royalist interests.

Apparently Nixon was compromised, or very sensitive, about the GREEK

political situation in our time period. Mr. Karamessines was a witting agent

of the joint paramilitary domestic agenda of the period.

Guenther Lewy's book, America in Vietnam shows Colby's Counter-Intelligence

political assassination "corporation" but it showed me the fundamental

futility of separating civilian agency and military forces roles and agendas.

In 1963 this joiint paramilitary force was operating on US soil in illegal

domestic operations, ARTICHOKE< MK ULTRA < PAPERCLIP <BLUE SKY

<CHAOS<COINTEL< etc....

Shanet

That type of order going out one day before the assassination is a serious statement! It would have had to be approved at the highest levels of government but at a time when Kennedy seems to have been questioning our involvement in Vietnam. Considering that it follows the Diem coup so closely it makes one wonder, "who let the dogs out?" And who was guarding the "hen house?"

Jim Root

Of the group you named, Friedman, Kullback, Rowlett and Sinkov, I believe, are in the NCS Hall of Fame (Hurt has been left out). I wonder why? By the way, David Kahn is the one who placed Hurt in the "old munitions building" at the same time Maxwell Taylor was there. Taylor was also, at that time, translating Japanese military manuals into English for the Army making a Taylor - Hurt (both fluent in Japanese/both top security clearence) connection a very real possibility. (Jim Root)

Jim,

I believe the Taylor - Hurt connection will be found with Harrod Miller. I have been able to find next to nothing on this guy which makes me a little suspicious. He was military with virtually no records attached. He died in 1966.

Maybe it's nothing but I got the feeling he was significant.

Anyway, in case you don't have this image below. From left to right, Frank Bearce, Solomon Kullback, Harrod Miller, Louise Nelson, William Friedman, Abraham Sinkov, L.D. Jones and Frank Rowlett.

FWIW.

James

James

First thanks...I'm happy to find someone with knowledge about "magic," Hurt, etc.

When was that picture taken and do you know where it was taken?

Are you familiar with Fort Monmouth, New Jersey or have any ideas about what was going on there in the 1930's?

What else do you know about radar and it's relation to this thread?

Very curious connections.

Jim Root

James

First thanks...I'm happy to find someone with knowledge about "magic," Hurt, etc.

When was that picture taken and do you know where it was taken?

Are you familiar with Fort Monmouth, New Jersey or have any ideas about what was going on there in the 1930's?

What else do you know about radar and it's relation to this thread?

Very curious connections.

Jim Root

Hi Jim,

The photo I posted is circa 1935 and it was snapped inside the munitions building. I am aware of Fort Monmouth as it was the location where the Army Air Corps and US Air Force had it origins.

In the thirties, high altitude weather balloons stuffed full of weather sounding equipment were being launched. From what I can gather, the military was interested in this for its intelligence gathering capabilities. Electronics in general were also developing here.

Now, I wonder if this has anything to do with Gary Powers' U2 being shot down?

James

James

"Now, I wonder if this has anything to do with Gary Powers' U2 being shot down?"

....well a long road that may lead to that and other things begining in the 1930's.

Are you familiar with the phrase "ferret mission" or "ferret flight?" These were first used by the Allies during WWII to snoop out enemy electronic capabilities....the phrase continued to be in vogue....Powers flight was considered a "ferret" operation. In many ways the raid on Dieppe (officially regarded as a failure) was a "ferret" operation that resulted in the capture of a German radar installation.

To my knowledge the first official "ferret" mission traced a Japanese radar signal of a quality that resembled the most advanced that the United States possessed. That radar station was located on the Island of Kiska in the Alluetians. Two battles led to the surrounding and taking of Kiska and the capture of that radar installation. The first unit on shore at Kiska was the 3rd Regiment of the First Special Services Force commanded by Colonel Edwin Walker.

I found John Hurt in connection with the research on this episode in the life of Edwin Walker. The connection with Hurt and Taylor came years later. The connection of Walker with an understanding of the nature of "ferret" missions may have began substantially before the shoot down of Francis Gary Powers.

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root

Are you familiar with the phrase "ferret mission" or "ferret flight?" (Jim Root)

Indeed I am, Jim. Widow maker may have been a more appropriate label.

I think some of this gets back to Harrod Miller and why he died as a relatively young man at the age of 66 in 1966. I know he connects to Taylor and Walker but have nothing to provide as proof.

We press on.

James

I don't know that much about the origins of these paramilitary

civilian intelligence agencies. I read the first and third James Bamford

books (Puzzle Palace/Pretext for War) on the NSA.

I am interested in the Maxwell Taylor angle and it includes shedding

light on the role of various military programs for counter espionage and

psychological mind control, truth serums, hypnosis, LSD and what have you.

Another character, a protege of General George C. Marshall, was

the highly decorated Marshall Carter.

As DDC for Intelligence and head of the ultra-sensitive NSA agency,

he would have been privy to the various electronic and photographic

evidence in the case:

this would include the cover-up, any overseas phone traffic, Mexico City and Havana materials, and especially, military and civilian agency files on the

medical and mental health aspects of John F. Kennedy, illicitly gained.

I really think the grey area of IRRESPONSIBILITY was formed, the joint

civilian paramilitary intelligence agency was in the ascendant in 1963,

and, like Mark Lane and many others, believe the Vietnam War and the

military industrial congressional complex as outlined by John Simkin

stood to gain and shed light on the causes of the coup detat.

But it certainly was a coup detat triggered from deep in the militant

reac tionary opposition to Kennedy, from people in power to remain in power.

Connally, as former Secretary of the Navy, was probably witting.

Kennedy, as a Naval Officer, probably had a mixed file, and the use of

naval (marine) counter-defector, either as a sniper or as a "lost" patsy

for public consumption, all these Naval interests come together in the

idea of Incapacity, or Unfitness, being secretly levied on Kennedy,

and the cliche Executive Sanction being used to strip him of his

security clearance as presiding officer.

I think the agencies knew of his drug usage and declared him legally insane in secret paperwork, and the exposte facto rationale, legitimization and

essential political cover is found in the 25th amendment,

exonerating Johnson, Dillon and the Cabinet level advisors in power in the mid 1960s.....

Jim,

If Oswald wanted to call the John Hurt with the Japanese connection, it could explain why the call he tried to make to the John Hurt in Raleigh was not completed.

According to the statement of City Hall telephone operator Alveeta Treon, two LE officials were listening while when operator Louise Swinney took Oswald's call from the jail and wrote down the info he gave her. Treon was then "dumbfounded" when Swinney deliberately did not place any call to Raleigh, but opened the key and told Oswald, "I'm sorry but the number doesn't answer." She then "unplugged and disconnected Oswald."

Surely Swinney would not do that, cutting off Oswald without completing the call, unless she was ordered to do so. So the question becomes, why would LE not want her to complete the call? I can think of only one answer. Someone in authority knew who Oswald really wanted to call and why, and Oswald had been given a wrong number (actually two, for two John Hurts in Raleigh). If a call had been completed and answered, Oswald would know he had been given a wrong number. So the operator, under orders, simply did not complete the call.

I think that the key to this could lie in the phone call that Oswald made earlier that evening in which, according to two DPD statements, he talked to someone for about 30 minutes. Oswald and whoever he talked to did not spend half an hour talking about the weather. (Was it Ruth Paine, who testified that the call she received from Oswald that evening was very short and was only about Marina?) It could have been during that 30-minute call that Oswald said he wanted to talk to John Hurt (he of the Japanese connection), and the person or persons he was talking to came up with two wrong numbers to give him.

Ron

James

Strange name, Harrod Miller. Do you have a military rank for him? I can usually get some infromation if I know the rank.

This is what I have found in the last few hours:

Harrod Miller: Born Dec. 5, 1900 in Missouri

Died Sept. 1966 in Washington County, Fayettville, Arkansas

SS# 379-38-2778 issued in the State of Michigan

Married sometime before 1930

Stationed in Corozal Balboa, District, Panama in 1930 as a Census Officier in the Signal Corps

By 1935 he was working with Friedman's group of Code Breakers in Washington D.C. (big jump from Panama)

Why do you think there is a connection to Taylor and or Walker?

Jim Root