The Education Forum

Dr. Jose Rivera

In 1942 Rivera joined the United States Army and served as first lieutenant in the medical corps. He was stationed at Walter Reed Army Hospital and later assigned to Halloran General Army Hospital in New York. In 1944 he was promoted to captain and went on a series of assignments in Italy and France and at the 198th General Army Hospital in Berlin.

During the Korean War he served in the Medical Field Unit and was promoted to the rank of major. After the war, he was chief of laboratory service and pathology at the U.S. Army Hospital in Tokyo. In 1958, he was assigned to the Reserve Training Center in Washington.

Dr Jose Rivera's background & movements are very interesting. Other posts in this thread suggest his involvement in MK-ULTRA. Is it the case that Rivera was in Japan in a senior "medical" position throughout the 1950s?

In posts #82, 85 & 89 in the thread linked below, I posted information about MK-ULTRA documents from 1954 describing proposed human "field" tests of narco-hypnotic programming, particularly in the context of a "false defector" programme. It is also documented that Atsugi was one of two known non-US bases used for MK-ULTRA field trials.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...75&start=75

There are also suggestions that the "false defector" programme involved the Gehlen Organization, the OSS/CIA network of Nazi spies (often right-wing East Europeans such as White Russians, Ukrainians, Latvians) used against the Soviets in the aftermath of WW2.

In "The Nazi Connection to the John F Kennedy Assassination", Mae Brussell stated:

Also at (Allen) Dulles' direction, Gehlen tapped the ranks of his wartime Russian collaborators for a cadre of spies to be parachuted into the Soviet Union. Some of these spies were schooled at the CIA's clandestine base at Atsugi, Japan, where, in 1957, a young marine named Lee Harvey Oswald was posted to the U-2 spy plane operation there.

So, if this is correct, we have "training schools" for both MK-ULTRA and the Gehlen Organization operating out of Atsugi in the timeframe that Oswald was busy attacking his superiors in strangely pre-meditated fashion in the Blue Bird Cafe.

The synchronicities are piling up.

Yes, I agree Jan, the pimple is about to 'pop'.....and isn't it interesting how things that 'seem' to be connected, but don't 'make sense' in a complete way, as being connected, suddenly do - at a certain point. I think we have almost reached that point on this matter.....the puzzle pieces are all there and only need some final assembly. I assure all the final picture will not be 'pretty'. Many, if not most, of the White Russians [and others] around Oswald were likely creatures of [or connected to] the Gehlen Org - as were some others in the Oswald set-up 'orbit'. Mae really was 'on track' IMO. MK/ULTRA fits in here...exactly how is not completely clear yet..but I think it just around the corner; and that 'piece' will fit nicely when put in its 'place'.

The concern Peter, is that when that final piece of the puzzle clarifies, it will very likely be too late to stop the beast of fascism manifesting again.

My, my are we all as cynical as I?!....I agree it might be too late, but we need to try, just in case we are wrong on the timing and doing the near impossible. Information will help those to whom it has meaning. I agree a new fascism is ascendent now and one doesn't need the last puzzle pieces to fit in order to see that. Those last few pieces might help fight it though!....maybe....we can hope...

My, my are we all as cynical as I?!

As well as:

"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth."

- Lillian Hellman

Edited by Terry Mauro

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SUMMARY OF KNOWN FACTS REGARDING DR. JOSE RIVERA

Jose A.Rivera was a naturalized citizen, born in either Lima, Peru, or San Juan, Puerto Rico (both birth places given in U.S. government documents, as are several different birth dates, ranging from February 6, 1905-1911. He died in 1989.). He was in the US. Army, 1943-1957 and US. Army Reserves, unti11965, Military Service Number: 05 13 618; served in the European Theater of War, 1943-1946; was stationed at Fort Detrick, Maryland, US. Army Chemical Corps, had SECRET Clearance, worked under Dr. Carl Lamanna, bacteriologist, 1947-1948; Stationed in Japan and Korea, 1950-1954; Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas, 1954-1957; Loyola University, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1959-1961; Naval Biological Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, CA, had TOP SECRET classification work under Dr. Carl Lamanna again, 1959-1961. National Institute ofNeurological Disease and Blindness, National Institutes ofHealth, Bethesda, Maryland, Science Administrator, 1961-1973 (?) uncertain ofexact retirement date here.

Adele Edison first met him in April of 1963 while attending scientific meetings in Atlantic City, New Jersey (Federation of American Societies ofExperimental Biology -FASEB). She was a Postdoctoral Fellow ofthe National Institute ofNeurological Diseases and Blindness-NIH at that time. Rivera was an administrator in the same Institute as a member of the Section on Training Grants and Awards. He had previously informed Dr. Sidney Harris, Chairman ofthe Department ofPhysiology, Louisiana State University School ofMedicine, that Adele Edison had been awarded the fellowship to work in the department.

*Birth dates: February 6, 1905-1912 (range).

*US. Army: 1943-1957; Army Reserve unti11965. Military Service Number: 0513 618. *European Theater of War: 1943-1946. *Stationed at Fort Detrick, Maryland, U.S. Army Chemical Corps, had SECRET Clearance,

worked under Dr. Carl Lamanna, bacteriologist: 1947-1948. *Stationed in Japan and Korea: 1950-1954. *Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas: 1954-1957. *Loyola University, New Orleans, Louisiana: 1959-1961. *Naval Biological Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, California,

had TOP SECRET classification working under Dr. Carl Lamanna again: 1959-1961. *National Institute ofNeurological Disease and Blindness, National Institutes ofHealth,

Bethesda, Maryland, Science Administrator: 1961-1973 (?) uncertain of exact retirement date here. *Social Security Number 214-28-5673.

He was a naturalized citizen. Claimed two birth places -Lima, Peru, and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Graduated Lima High School in 1925. Graduated St. John's University Brooklyn, New York with B.S. degree in 1934.

-----._-----------

Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas, M.S. degree in 1956. Catholic University, Washington, D.C., listed as candidate for Ph.D. in Biology.

Dr. Carl Lamanna worked on botulinus organisms and anthrax, according to published scientific papers. He apparently was involved in biowarfare research during World· War II and after.

Image posted for Bill Kelly.

Thanks James, This is a photo of Dr. Jose Rivera and two military officers.

I was wondering if it would be possible to identify the two military men? -BK

Also, is the insignia on the shoulder of the officer on the right a 6th US Army patch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_United_States_Army

xx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:US_Sixth_Army_patch.svg

Edited by William Kelly

Amazing how far he went with limited academic credentials. Apparently twice he worked under a Dr. Carl Lamanna. Anyone know anything about him?

Dr. Carl Lamanna was Dr./Col. Jose Rivera's superior officer who arranged for him to have the security clearance at Fort Detrick, Maryland.

The photo James Posted above is of Rivera and two other officers he seems to be trying to impress.

While I can't say where the photo comes from at this point, I think it is possible to ID those two officers and see what relation they have to Rivera and Lamanna.

Can anyone tell me what rank these officers are? Captains? Colonels?

The unit patch on the left shoulder of the officer on the right appears to be the insignia of the US Sixth Army, which was in the South Pacific during WWII and is HQ was at Presidio, California, near San Francisco.

That's where Lamanna and Rivera were both stationed for a short period of time, as oppossed to the seven or eight years Rivera spent at Brooks Army Hospital in Texas.

The Bio Weapons facility at Presidio in the late 50s, when they were there, was operated, I believe, by the NAVY. Lamanna and Rivera were there at the same time LHO was in San Diego in USMC.

Lamanna has written medical textbooks that are still in use today, and did experiments with Anthrax.

It's possible that while with the 6th Army, Rivera got to meet Shiro Ishii, of Japanese Bio War Unit 731, who some say was the real Dr. No.

There's a reference in a British publicaiton that Siro Ishii was brought to the USA, Maryland in particular, where Fort Detrick is located, and Rivera may have had some interactions with the Japanese Paperclip.

If the officers in the photo with Rivera are officers in the 6th Army, and were involved in the capture and interrogation and payoff of Shiro Ishii, then that narrows it down a lot.

Follow me?

BK

Interesting research. Thanks to all.

The following is a speculative lead which I don't have time to chase down at the moment. So, speculative is truly the operative word.

Below is a pdf link to an open source biological warfare textbook. Chapter 16 is on Botulinum Toxin, and is written by Fort Detrick scientists. It begins by placing the weaponization of Botulinum Toxin within the context of Unit 731 & Shiro Ishii. It then describes extensive research into Botulinum Toxin. Part of what appears to be fundamental research is referenced to Lamanna C, published in 1959: an article in the prestigious medical journal Science, entitled "The most poisonous poison".

http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/publis...are/BW-ch16.pdf

Naturally, we should bear in mind that the official rationale for CBW research - whether it be at Fort Detrick or Porton Down - has almost always been for defensive, rather than offensive, purposes.

Jim,

If you look at the USAMRIID Blue Book, Medical Management of Biological Casualities Handook - It says:

http://usamriid.detrick.army.mil/education...h%20Edition.pdf

In 1943, the U.S. began its own research and development program in the use of biological agents for offensive purposes. Similar programs existed in Canada, the United Kingdom (UK), and probably several other countries. This work was started, interestingly enough, in response to a perceived German BW threat as opposed to a Japanese one. The U.S. research program was headquartered at Camp Detrick (now Fort Detrick), which was a small National Guard airfield before that time, and produced agents and conducted field testing at other sites until 1969, when President Nixon stopped all offensive biological and toxin weapon research and production by executive order.

Interesting research. Thanks to all.

The following is a speculative lead which I don't have time to chase down at the moment. So, speculative is truly the operative word.

Below is a pdf link to an open source biological warfare textbook. Chapter 16 is on Botulinum Toxin, and is written by Fort Detrick scientists. It begins by placing the weaponization of Botulinum Toxin within the context of Unit 731 & Shiro Ishii. It then describes extensive research into Botulinum Toxin. Part of what appears to be fundamental research is referenced to Lamanna C, published in 1959: an article in the prestigious medical journal Science, entitled "The most poisonous poison".

http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/publis...are/BW-ch16.pdf

Naturally, we should bear in mind that the official rationale for CBW research - whether it be at Fort Detrick or Porton Down - has almost always been for defensive, rather than offensive, purposes.

Jim,

If you look at the USAMRIID Blue Book, Medical Management of Biological Casualities Handook - It says:

http://usamriid.detrick.army.mil/education...h%20Edition.pdf

In 1943, the U.S. began its own research and development program in the use of biological agents for offensive purposes. Similar programs existed in Canada, the United Kingdom (UK), and probably several other countries. This work was started, interestingly enough, in response to a perceived German BW threat as opposed to a Japanese one. The U.S. research program was headquartered at Camp Detrick (now Fort Detrick), which was a small National Guard airfield before that time, and produced agents and conducted field testing at other sites until 1969, when President Nixon stopped all offensive biological and toxin weapon research and production by executive order.

Amazing how far he went with limited academic credentials. Apparently twice he worked under a Dr. Carl Lamanna. Anyone know anything about him?

Dr. Carl Lamanna was Dr./Col. Jose Rivera's superior officer who arranged for him to have the security clearance at Fort Detrick, Maryland.

The photo James Posted above is of Rivera and two other officers he seems to be trying to impress.

While I can't say where the photo comes from at this point, I think it is possible to ID those two officers and see what relation they have to Rivera and Lamanna.

The unit patch on the left shoulder of the officer on the right appears to be the insignia of the US Sixth Army, which was in the South Pacific during WWII and is HQ was at Presidio, California, near San Francisco.

That's where Lamanna and Rivera were both stationed for a short period of time, as oppossed to the seven or eight years Rivera spent at Brooks Army Hospital in Texas.

The Bio Weapons facility at Presidio in the late 50s, when they were there, was operated, I believe, by the NAVY. Lamanna and Rivera were there at the same time LHO was in San Diego in USMC.

Lamanna has written medical textbooks that are still in use today, and did experiments with Anthrax.

It's possible that while with the 6th Army, Rivera got to meet Shiro Ishii, of Japanese Bio War Unit 731, who some say was the real Dr. No.

There's a reference in a British publicaiton that Siro Ishii was brought to the USA, Maryland in particular, where Fort Detrick is located, and Rivera may have had some interactions with the Japanese Paperclip.

If the officers in the photo with Rivera are officers in the 6th Army, and were involved in the capture and interrogation and payoff of Shiro Ishii, then that narrows it down a lot.

Follow me?

BK

Bill,

I don't think the insignia is from the Sixth United States Army. Their's is a 6 pointed star and the one in the photo is five. It does however resemble the shoulder insignia worn by the 122nd Army Reserve Command but the quality is poor so it is difficult to tell.

As to the officers, the guy on the left bears some resemblance to Lt. Col. Frank Glenn who was a consultant in surgery for the Sixth U.S. Army.

The guy on the right looks a bit like William Amspacher.

These are only guesses on my part and I may be way off the mark.

Cheers,

James

Follow me?

BK

Bill,

I don't think the insignia is from the Sixth United States Army. Their's is a 6 pointed star and the one in the photo is five. It does however resemble the shoulder insignia worn by the 122nd Army Reserve Command but the quality is poor so it is difficult to tell.

As to the officers, the guy on the left bears some resemblance to Lt. Col. Frank Glenn who was a consultant in surgery for the Sixth U.S. Army.

The guy on the right looks a bit like William Amspacher.

These are only guesses on my part and I may be way off the mark.

Cheers,

James

I was just looking for Lamanna on the internet. He is clearly an expert in Botulina toxin - both medical and military. Strange, however, I found a reference to a connection he had to NASA around November of 1963 [sound familiar to anyone?] here http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/roundups/issues/63-12-11.pdf where he had something to do, apparently, with the Apollo suits - or at least was present when they were 'rolled-out' for the first time. Seems odd. Maybe innocent. Maybe not. That Rivera has some connections with anthrax and that it turned-up in 911 is noted. Not that Rivera had anything to do with 911, but that it seems to have been a bioweapon of choice and long weaponized and available. It was likely one of the agents used in Korea that got Olson killed for being upset about knowing about. Funny how things seem to tie in and the degrees of separation are never very great. Surely only coincidence and this part of the Forum should be renamed Political Coincidences :ph34r:

As always hats off to James for photos and id's of people in them.

Thanks for that Peter,

I had missed that one.

That's the first photo I've seen of Lamanna.

There's also a Col. F. Freese of DOD in the picture.

Could that be the officer in the glasses to left of Rivera?

If you want to look into this further, this photo brings to mind a few things:

1) the AF tech who worked with astronaut training and tried to warn John Glenn about Northwoods and they were going to kill JFK.

2) that LBJ was in charge of NASA.

3) that Rivera was stationed at Brookes Army Hospital, where JFK visited on 11/21/63

4) the Brookes childrens burn unit - sponsored by Rivera's Masonic Lodge.

And James, William H. Amspacher is certainly a candidate.

BK

Thanks JR,

Make that a five point star and a match with the US Army Service Forces, WWII, which narrows our search down to the life of that unit, thanks to Wiki - (can we depend on Wiki for this?)

If true, that narrows it down to one third of the US Army during WWII, six "Technical Services" found themselves in the USASF - including two specific - Chemical Warfare Service and Medical Department, which narrows it down time wise and unit wise to those two units.

The Executive Order creating this unit remained in effect until six months after the end of WWII.

I think we can have consensus agreement that the military arm patch of the officer in the photo with Rivera is identical Army Service Forces patch here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/-ORIGINAL-ARMY-SERVICE...807081569r27764

http://www.vetshome.com/military_army_forc...s_history_1.htm

DA Staff Support Warn from 11 March 1942 - 17 June 1946

Re-designated: Technical and Administrative Services - 1948

Dept. of the Army Staff Support - Oct. 1950 - Current

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Service_Forces

The Army Service Forces was one of the three autonomous components of the Army of the United States during World War II, the others being the Army Air Forces and Army Ground Forces. It was created on February 28, 1942 by Executive Order Number 9082 "Reorganizing the Army and the War Department" [1], and War Department Circular No.59, dated March 2, 1942.

In March 1942, there was a sweeping reorganization of the Army. This was the result of dissatisfaction with the existing structure, with the Army Air Forces in particular seeking greater autonomy. However, the main driver was the Chief of Staff, who felt overwhelmed by the large number of officers and agencies — at least 61 — with direct access to him.

The Chief of Staff wanted no more than three commands reporting to him, so everything which did not fit into the Army Ground Forces or Army Air Forces became part of the Services of Supply, which was renamed the Army Service Forces on 12 March 1943, as it was felt that the term 'supply' did not accurately describe its broad range of activities.

Army Service Forces brought together elements of five different components of the Army: elements of the War Department General Staff, especially its G-4 component; the Office of the Under Secretary of War; the eight administrative bureaux; the nine corps areas, which became the service commands; and the six supply arms and services, which became known as the technical services.

Six Technical Services found themselves part of Army Service Forces when it was formed in 1942: the Corps of Engineers, Signal Corps, Ordnance Department, Quartermaster Corps, Chemical Warfare Service and Medical Department. A seventh technical service, the Transportation Corps was established as the Transportation Division 28 February 1942 under Executive Order 9082. It was renamed the Transportation Service in April 1942 and became a corps in its own right on 31 July 1942. The Transportation Corps took over control of the ports of embarkation, regulating points and railways.

Unlike the chiefs of the combat arms, who had their offices abolished and their authority transferred to the Chief of Army Ground Forces, neither the duties nor the structure of the technical services was altered by their becoming part of the Army Service Forces, but their status changed, and the chiefs no longer had direct access to the Chief of Staff or the Secretary of War.

Each of the Technical Services ran its own procurement and field depots.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Service_Forces"Categories: United States Army | Military units and formations of the United States Army

Edited by William Kelly

Thanks for that Peter,

I had missed that one.

That's the first photo I've seen of Lamanna.

There's also a Col. F. Freese of DOD in the picture.

Could that be the officer in the glasses to left of Rivera?

If you want to look into this further, this photo brings to mind a few things:

1) the AF tech who worked with astronaut training and tried to warn John Glenn about Northwoods and they were going to kill JFK.

2) that LBJ was in charge of NASA.

3) that Rivera was stationed at Brookes Army Hospital, where JFK visited on 11/21/63

4) the Brookes childrens burn unit - sponsored by Rivera's Masonic Lodge.

And James, William H. Amspacher is certainly a candidate. BK

Tell me about Glenn being warned.....?!

The Brookes Army Hospital is 'interesting'....what did JFK go there for? [Maybe they wanted to measure his skull to get just the 'right' kind of bullet for it]

But more than that the photo of all these DOD guys - some with biological warfare backgrounds [and who knows what else!]...at the roll-out of the Apollo spacesuit...seems a bit of a 'stretch'...I don't think they anticipated any biowarfare threats for the astronauts. But then there were many strange non-civilian aspects of NASA - and still are, sadly.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...ult&id=8112

Record:ROBINSON, PHILIP A.Sources:FBI 105-15291-164Mary's

Comments:Wrote letter to Colonel John Glenn of Ohio, dated Oct 26, 1970, re conversation in elevator at Lackland A.F.B. Hospital Aug 2, 1961, when Robinson claimed to have information about an attempt to assassinate Pres. Kennedy. Glenn did not remember conversation but verified that he could have been there in Aug. 1961.

JOHN ROBERT GLENN

HCUA Hearings: 10/16/63 & 11/18/63 DOB: 7/26/29. POB: Evanston, Illinois. Wife: Marcia Haag Glenn. Member FPCC. Traveled to Cuba in July 1963 without passport. Studied Russian 5 years. AirGLENN, JOHN ROBERTSources:HCUA Hearings: 10/16/63 & 11/18/63Mary's

Comments:DOB: 7/26/29. POB: Evanston, Illinois. Wife: Marcia Haag Glenn. Member FPCC. Traveled to Cuba in July 1963 without passport. Studied Russian 5 years. Air Force Intelligence with Crypto Clearance and Top Secret Clearance. State Department paid his way back from Spain (??). Testified before HCUA on 11/18/63. Glenn and Lee Harvey Oswald purchased almost identical material (Internationale, etc.) from Pioneer Publishers, 116 University Place, New York, NY.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Search.htm?q=Whi...45&btnG.y=7

The White House Diary

Thursday Nov. 21 - 1963

Dedication of the Aerospace Medical Health Center

Brooks AFB, San Antonio, Tx

Edited by William Kelly

"It will happen after the Shriner's circus comes to New Orleans." – Dr./Col. Jose Rivera.

SHRINER'S CIRCUS IN NEW ORLEANS - By Bill Kelly

After I began to take Adele Edisen seriously, in order to examine her story closer I broke up various aspects of her conversations with Dr. Rivera into SERIALS – to see if they could be checked out. A few of them seemed easy, others more difficult, but hints and clues that latched onto something real that could be verified.

For instance, [sERIAL # 6 ] Rivera said, "We'll have him go to the library and read up on all of the great assassins in history."

The list of books Oswald checked out of the New Orleans Public Library was not classified, and included a book about the murder of Huey Long.

In the course of reading the Secret Service Exceptional Case Study Project (ECSP) it is interesting to note that in the course of attempting to profile and manage potential assassins that come to their attention, they list Questions to Ask in a Threat Assessment: "Has the subject shown an interest in any of the following? – Assassins or assassination. Weapons (including recent acquisition of a weapon. Militant or radical ideas/groups. Murders, murderers, mass murderers, and workplace violence and stalking incidents."

One of the more bizzare quotes attributed to Rivera is: "It will happen after the Shriner's circus comes to New Orleans."

Now I've since learned that the Shriner's Circus does come to New Orleans every November, and it is apparently a big social occasion. I also have a list of the organizations that Dr. Jose River was a member of, including the Shriners.

So it was with some interest that I somehow, quite miraculously came into possession of a pulp paperback book, "Parade To Glory – The Shriners – and their Caravan to Destiny" by Fred Van Deventer ( Pyramid Books, N.Y., 1964); in which it is noted (p. 275):

"It was even possible that Governor Earl Warren (later to become Chief Justice of the United States) served as prophet when he welcomed the Imperial Council representatives to California, by declaring that America is a fraternal nation. 'It is,' he said, 'a land of fraternities, and one of the greatest is the Shrine of North America. Nations across the waters do not understand this phase of or national life….I wish all the world could absorb this fraternal spirit and put it to work. It is all that is necessary to solve the most troublesome problems of our turbulent times…..If the world would adopt the same attitude towards the poor, the weak and the under-privileged that the Shrine has maintained toward the crippled children of North America, without regard to race, creed or color, it would dispel most of the darkness around us. There is no gloom that cannot be driven out by the sunshine of the Shrine.'"

p.296:

"Thus it was that it became apparent to him [Dr. Clayton F. Andrews] in the decade of the fifties that while the hospitals had successfully and mercifully treated thousands of children afflicted with orthopedic deformities, not much use had ever been made of the wide background and knowledge obtained by the hospitals and doctors from all of the successes and, of course, a few failures.

"During the decade, Dr. Guy A. Caldwell, professor of surgery at Tulane University in New Orleans, had become chief of the advisory board of orthopedic surgeons, and as Dr. Andrews moved up the line became friendly with him. And so it was that at the mid-winter meeting of the Board of Trustees of the hospitals at the Astor Hotel in New York in January of 1958, Dr. Andrews presented Dr. Caldwell to make a long and detailed speech on the value that could be obtained from all of the hospital records if the board would approve a program of clinical research."

p. 298:

"Dr. Andrews conceded in the discussion that his program of clinical research would not need all of the funds the hospital corporation had available for research, and [imperial Sir Marshall M.] Porter replied that side by side with the program of clinical research, the Shriners should explore some other field that bears some relation to the overall picture of the Shriners Hosptial for Crippled Children. But what field? No one knew."

"In Atlantic City that July of 1959, Dr. Andrews became the Imperial Potentate. Together with the manifold duties of his office, he continued to watch over his research project. Seminars for surgeons were conducted. Experts devised the punch-card IBM program, and in Washington, Chief Counsel Bob Smith picked up the telephone in his office and put through a call to the United States Army Medical Research Command."

"At some unrecorded date in the spring of 1958, Smith had discussed with some of the top medical brass of the Army, Navy and Airforce what the Shrine might do in the field of medical research to help humanity in general, and children in particular. And Army records reveal that a number of projects were suggested, but Colonel Frederick Timmerman, deputy to Brigadier General Joseph McNinch in command of the Army medical research, recalls that he had become convinced, and told Smith, that the greatest single medical need in North America was some facility for the treatment of major burns and research and teaching projects connected with them."

"While Smith had all of the suggestions in hand when he went to Atlantic City, there is no recorded evidence that he offered them to the trustees, but it is likely that he talked about them behind closed doors, for after that session was concluded he immediately asked the Army's medical research command if they would stage a seminar on burns for the Shrine's leadership. They would and did on August 24 and 25….The Army doctors did a bang up job of showing them the need for burn research. They went into every phase of their own research programs. Colonel Edward H. Vogel, Jr., the commanding officer of the Army medical research unit at Brooke Army Medical Center at San Antonio, Texas, who was in charge of the only burn research center in the United States, was particularly impressive with a movie and slide presentation of the work his unit was doing."

"But all of the military men said there was so much more to be done, particularly among civilians; and among civilians, particularly children, for burns were one of the great scourges of childhood."

"In January of 1960, at the mid-winter meeting of the Board of Trustees in New Orleans, there was no doubt of the enthusiasm that had been generated…., but Caldwell cautioned that so far it was just something for the board to think about, and that the entire matter for the time being should be held confidential among themselves."

"But the spark had begun to ignite into flame, and by the time the trustees met prior to the Denver Convention, it had grown into a bright blaze, and they unanimously approved a resolution that Chairman Calhoun should appoint a burns committee that would make extensive investigations into a burns treatment and research program for children and report to the mid-winter meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada, the following January…"

"The committee wasted no time. They quickly called into consultation the doctors, the lawyers and the builders. The doctors and the committee visited at the Brooke Army Medical Center. So did the Shrine's architects so that they might report on just what would be involved structurally if a burns program was finally approved. The lawyers investigated the legal feasibility of the COLORADO CORPORATION entering into such a program, and they quickly discovered from a search of the records that Shriners Hospitals for Crippled Children had been treating burns cases of children for years because burns created orthopedic problems. The Surgical Advisory Board was unanimous in its opinion that while burns created problems other than orthopedic, certainly burn cases were orthopedic in character because bone and muscle contractures."

"Progress was being made by the committee, but it was slow work for there were so few people to advise. They had talked, of course, with Colonel Vogel in San Antoniio and with Dr. Truman Blocker, another former Army burn specialist, and now a professor of surgery at the University of Texas Medical School in Galveston. Dr. Blocker and Dr. Vogel also recommended that they talk with Dr. Curtis P. Artz, associate professor of surgery at the University of Mississippi, who as an Army colonel had originally set up the Brooke burns program."

"At the Imperial session in Miami in July, 1961, the burns committee was able to make an interim report, but they were not quite ready to formalize a program. There was still much work to do. Dr. Caldwell needed to talk with the deans of important medical schools, so that when a program would be formally introduced there would be no doubt of its final passage. The delay in Miami was brought on largely through the death of [Council] Bob Smith in Boston on May 12, 1961 of a heart attack. He was visiting Robert Gardner Wilson in connection with his activities on behalf of the proposed burns institutes..."

"Galloway Calhoun, who had lived most of his life at the center of drama, died the same way as he addressed the 90th annual conclave of the Knights Templar of Arkansas on the evening of April 16, 1962….Past Imperial Potentate [ Thomas C.] Law died three weeks later on May 4, 1962, in a private hospital in Atlanta, and thus three men who had had so much to do with the Shrine's hoped-for new philanthropy were not present when the Shriners began to arrive in Toronto on June 30."

"Dr. Caldwell returned to tell the Shriners that as projected, the burns institutes would provide three things – 1. immediate treatment for burned children, treatment within 48 hours, which would require in many cases air travel for the patient; 2. total burn research in laboratories in each institute, which would be located on or adjacent to campuses of outstanding medical universities where vast facilities for treatments associated with burns would be available; and 3. the creation of programs for the teaching of teams of burn doctors and technicians, which could then take to all America training programs for other teams to be created."

p. 309:

"In the end, the committee chose the Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital; the University of Texas Medical School Branch at Galveston, Texas; and the University of Cincinnati Medical School and University Hospital. The first institute to begin actual construction was that at Galveston, Texas, where Imperial Potentate Howard C. Close broke ground on June 23, 1964.

THE PARADE

"'Accompanied by 50 brass bands, some 500 horses, and at least two camels, the Shriners swarmed into Manhattan 150,000 strong, occupied 85 hotels and motor inns, added to the traffic jams, monopolized sidewalks, held seven-hour-long parades and displayed a keen group sense of humor in a thousand hilarious ways, including occasionally entangling innocent natives in loops of invisible thread. They wore red fezzes, red and green floppy harem trousers, and red-embroidered jackets and looked like wandering extras from 'The Forty Days of Musa Dagh,' They were the respectable and respected members of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. As representatives of an organization forthrightly dedicated to whoopee in a good cause, the Shriners are pranksters by profession….'" p.310.

p.311-312:

"Equally important, among his [O.Carlyle Brock's] first messages to temples was that he wanted Shrine units to make every public appearance possible so that the general public might know that Shriners, playing at Moslems and Infidels, are dedicated Masons, actively working at and contributing to the welfare of those less fortunate. Moreover, he wanted the public to know that in their antics and demonstrations, they still lived within the code, as William B. Melish put it in 1892:

'Pleasure without intemperance, hospitality without rudeness and jollity without coarseness.'"

Edited by William Kelly

More on Dr. Guy Alvin Caldwell - Tulane -

I particularly like the part about Camp Plauche - former POW camp?

http://www.ochsnerjournal.org/perlserv/?re...CO%3B2&ct=1

Hector O. Ventura, MD

Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute, Department of Cardiology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA

Table of Contents:

Options:

Search Google Scholar for:

In 1938, Alton Ochsner hired Guy Alvin Caldwell as a professor of Orthopedics at Tulane University School of Medicine. An accomplished orthopedist, Dr. Caldwell had developed surgical treatments that allowed crippled children to run and play. His hiring moved the imminent organization of the Ochsner Clinic a large step forward (1). Dr. Caldwell believed in the concept of group practice and became interested in creating a clinic in New Orleans. When he mentioned his idea to Dr. Ochsner, who had also been thinking about organizing a local clinic, Dr. Ochsner answered with his characteristic enthusiasm, “Guy, that's what I've been dreaming about. We've got to do it. Why don't you keep working on it?” (2).

The eldest of the Ochsner Clinic founders, Dr. Caldwell had a great understanding of medical administration and had a clear vision of what the Ochsner Clinic should become. During World War I, while an adjutant of his medical unit, he also served as the manager of an army hospital (3). Upon returning to Atlanta after the war, he served double-duty as an assistant administrator of the Henry Grady Hospital and as an instructor in fractures at Emory University. In New Orleans, Guy Caldwell emerged as the administrative architect of the Ochsner institutions.

Life and Medical Career Return to TOC

Guy Alvin Caldwell was born on January 24, 1891, in Alcorn County, Mississippi. He earned his medical degree from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1914. During World War I, he served as adjutant of his medical unit in France and, upon the end of the war, he returned to practice at Henry Grady Hospital in Atlanta and was named an instructor at Emory University (3, 4). In 1922, he relocated to Shreveport, Louisiana, where he was named the Chief of Surgery at the Shriners Hospital for Children and began his private practice in orthopedics. On a visit to Shreveport, Alton Ochsner was invited to make hospital rounds with Dr. Caldwell. Dr. Ochsner was very impressed with Caldwell's work and the two developed a close friendship.

When Dr. Ochsner hired Dr. Caldwell at Tulane University in 1938, he was able to continue his scientific and academic work, becoming one of the leading orthopedists in the country. Dr. Caldwell founded and led the Ochsner Clinic Department of Orthopedics. He later served as president of both the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and was elected to the Council of Medical Education of the American Medical Association. In 1957, he retired from practice except for occasional consultations and became the full time medical director of the Ochsner Clinic. After a productive career spanning almost 7 decades as a surgeon and administrator, Dr. Caldwell passed away November 1, 1981.

Character Return to TOC

…A tall, erect man with the courtly manners of a southern planter, Caldwell exerted telling influence in partnership councils because he was the best informed of the founders and presented his views with both force and tact. He sometimes clashed with Edgar Burns, who had his own ideas about the way the clinic should be run. They might not speak to each other for a while, but eventually ruffled feelings would be mollified…. Subordinates found Caldwell formal and demanding, but they knew, too, he advocated good pay and working conditions for them, and they respected him…(3)

Frank Riddick, medical director of the Clinic from 1975 to 2001, and John Ray, former head of the Section on Colon and Rectal Surgery, recalled Guy Caldwell as a “Southern gentleman, an excellent physician with a great vision regarding the future of medicine and the Ochsner Clinic.”

Dr. Caldwell's grandson, Guy Alexander Caldwell, followed, as his grandfather did, the scientific path: he is an assistant professor of Biological Sciences at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The son of Dr. Caldwell's only son, Marc Guy Caldwell, a successful artist and sculptor, Guy Alexander Caldwell, PhD grew up in New York City, but spent many summers in New Orleans in his grandfather's house and playing in Audubon Park. He also has fond memories of trips to Grand Isle during those summers. “[My grandfather] was very kind and nurturing. He had a calm intensity in his voice and was very helpful in instilling interest for my future career in science.” Dr. Caldwell also remembers his grandfather as “a great carpenter; he built the house in Grand Isle and also made many frames for my father's paintings.”

Letters from Grandfather to Grandson

Guy Alexander Caldwell, PhD was very kind to provide some excerpts of letters from his grandfather. Guy A. Caldwell, MD: age 88. The future Guy A. Caldwell, PhD: age 15…

February 6, 1978

Dear Guy,

This is my first attempt at writing for others to read (since falling ill). Do you consider yourself honored or dishonored?

I appreciate your very informative letter which gave me much needed information about your school work-and your many related activities. Remember not to spread yourself too thin!

I am sure you are tired of trying to ready my poor writing, but I wish you to know I love you and appreciate your letters.

Affectionately,

Grandaddy

Sept. 12, 1978

Already it seems a very long time since you were here beside my desk showing me your fine new typewriter. I am pleased that you are learning to type in the correct way. Believe it or not, I did a lot of typing of notes taken during lectures at the medical school and making typed copies which I sold to other students who preferred to review my notes before taking written monthly tests, etc. to attending the lectures and making their own notes. It was a hard way to earn a few dollars but I did quite a bit of such writing using an old, rusted typewriter and my own “hunt & peck” fingering. You can imagine how poor the results were. However, they were reasonable and my student friends bought them – and most passed their tests! Of course, I learned the notes “by heart” in writing them to sell to my classmates! It was all good fun. I kept the typed notes thinking I would possibly wish to refer to them later when I would be an intern in the hospital, but I never found much use for them!Enough of my experiences while a medical student, if you stick to your determination you will have your own experiences to relate to your grandson, and they will be very different experiences – but good typing ability will always be a handy asset!Affectionately,Grampy

November 7, 1978

“I am glad you take your participation in sports seriously, much as you do your studies. It makes you a better player, just as serious study makes a better student…Your school work average, about B, is not surprising in view of all the activities you take on – sooner or later you must learn your limitations and plan your activities accordingly – pardon me please – I did not intend to preach or sermon.”

Professor

After retiring as medical director of the Clinic. Dr. Caldwell kept a desk in the office of his successor, Dr. Merrill O. Hines, …whom he did not hesitate to second-guess. It was an uncomfortable situation for Hines. But years later, when he was near his 90th birthday, Caldwell came to the hospital in his wheelchair to apologize. He broke into tears as he told Hines how sorry he was that he had given the younger man such a hard time. Hines, embracing his former boss, assured him that he had only respect and affection for the man he had always called Professor” (3).

The Ochsner Clinic Return to TOC

Guy Alvin Caldwell played a key role in the founding and direction of the Ochsner Clinic. Of the five original founders, he had the greatest interest in medical administration and business management and became very involved with the fiscal affairs, staff activities, and negotiations of the Clinic.

Getting Started

It was through Caldwell that the founders were able to find the financial means to begin the Ochsner Clinic. One of Dr. Caldwell's patients was the wife of Rudolf S. Hecht, the Chairman of the Board of Hibernia National Bank (1). After many unsuccessful months of searching for a financial partner willing to take a risk on the five founding partners, Dr. Caldwell arranged a meeting between the chairman and Alton Ochsner. Dr. Ochsner told Mr. Hecht: “…Here we are at the gateway of Latin America…If we could have an institution here such as the one we are talking about, I think we could attract Latins.” Mr. Hecht listened, and then he said, “This is good; this is good for New Orleans, it's good for Louisiana, it's good for the South and good for the United States.” I said, “Yes, Mr Hecht, but we have no equity.” “Oh”, he said, “but you have your reputation.” Mr. Hecht arranged for the Hibernia bank to lend the partners up to half a million dollars on their signatures alone. Alton Ochsner once said, “If it had not been for Mr Hecht, this clinic never would have been. He took a chance. He is entirely responsible for the organization.”

The Hospital

In 1944, 2 years after opening the Ochsner Clinic, the original partners chartered the Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation to pursue medical education, research, and charity. The new Foundation needed a hospital facility in which to operate. Caldwell and the other founders explored several possibilities, including acquiring a hospital with Tulane and Touro Infirmary, but negotiations failed. Drs. Caldwell and Ochsner went as far as Washington DC to seek the advice of Basil McLean, former director of Touro Infirmary, who was a medical corps colonel serving as a consultant.

On October 26, 1946 the Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation acquired the military medical facility and former POW facility, Camp Plauche, and renamed it Foundation Hospital, which came to be affectionately referred to as “Splinter Village.” The trustees decided that if the clinic took over the hospital it would appear that it was to be run as a for-profit institution and this, in Dr Caldwell's words, “would constitute a breach of good faith.” The trustees anticipated that when the time came to build a permanent hospital, it would be easier to accomplish on behalf of a non-profit organization than a for-profit partnership. They were eventually able to build the permanent medical facility that became today's main campus on Jefferson Highway.

The Legacy Return to TOC

In 1949, Dr Caldwell wrote, Many of the senior members on our staff feel that it is due them to establish a plan for succession which will give them assurance that the transitional stage will not be too critical, and that as some of them prove their administrative ability, they will soon begin to have some voice in the policies and plans for the Clinic. Those who have given five to eight years of loyal service to the group are due some clarification of this problem before long. (3)

He was planning for the future of the Clinic and Foundation. During a 1955 vacation, Caldwell wrote a poignant memorandum that settled the next 50 years of the Ochsner institutions: The future security and stability of the clinic (and foundation) depend upon having full, whole-hearted interest and cooperation of the staff and key personnel…. This I believe can only be realized by real participation, both in policymaking and profit sharing. This would require a very large partnership with a very complicated formula for voting and sharing….With a tight, small controlling group we will never be able to recruit the top-flight men required to do the kind of work we wish to have done….The staff thinking and attitude is what really controls our services to patients and our income & unless the staff is satisfied & have a feeling of real participation, the future of the Clinic is not secure not sound (3).

Cohesion Return to TOC

Guy Alvin Caldwell's role in the creation and planning of the vibrant institution that Ochsner Clinic Foundation patients and employees and the surrounding community enjoy today cannot be challenged. Dr. Caldwell made many more contributions than those above; I have chosen what I considered some of the most important and most telling. He was one the most fervent advocates for the building of the Brent House Hotel to give patients and families a sense of comfort and security during their visit to the Hospital and Clinic. He was a pioneer in the field of orthopedics and an accomplished physician and administrator. Perhaps the best compliment to Guy Caldwell's importance to the Ochsner legacy came from his fellow founder, Dr. Curtis Tyrone: He was “the glue that held us together” (3).

Acknowledgments

The author would like to acknowledge the recollections of Drs. Frank Riddick and John Ray in addition to the generous contributions of Guy Alexander Caldwell, PhD.

References Return to TOC

1. Ventura HO. Alton Ochsner, MD: Physician. The Ochsner Journal. 2001. 4:48–52. Find this article online
  2. Wilds J, and Harkey I. Alton Ochsner Surgeon of the South. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press 1990.
  3. Wilds J. Ochsner's: An Informal History of the South's Largest Private Medical Center. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press 1985.
  4. Ray J. Caldwell (biography). Alcorn County 243–244. 1988.

Figures Return to TOC

i1524-5012-4-2-112-f01t.gifGuy Caldwell

After leaving Fort Detrick, home to MK/NAOMI, MK/ULTRA, Army Chemical Agent research, and the Remote Reviewing program, Rivera was stationed at a Navy research center near San Francisco, at the same time LHO was stationed in San Diego.

Bill - thanks for this. Do you have any more material on the nature of this "Remote Reviewing" program that was taking place at Fort Detrick, presumably in the 1950s?

I'm assuming it has nothing to do with Remote Viewing, since - according to the official history - this phrase was coined in the early 1970s by psychic spy Ingo Swann, to describe the technique of "Coordinate Remote Viewing" used in covert DIA/NSA/CIA/Military Intelligence programmes such as GRILLFLAME & STARGATE.

Jan,

Sorry about that. My typo. I read about the Remote Viewing program there in the 70s and didn't mean to imply it went on in the 50s. The only thing I have on Detrick is the Church Com report on MKNAOMI:

BK

Chemical and Biological Activities

Against this background, the Central Intelligence Agency entered into a special agreement with the Army on a project which the CIA codenamed MKNAOMI. The original purpose of MKNAOMI is difficult to determine. Few written records were prepared during its 18 year existence; most of the documents relating to it have been destroyed; and persons with knowledge of its early years have either died or have been unable to recall much about their association with the project. However, it is fair to conclude from the types of weapons developed for the CIA, and from the extreme security associated with MKNAOMI, that the possibility of first use of biological weapons by the CIA was contemplated.

The Army agreed that the Special Operations Division (SOD) at Fort Detrick would assist the CIA in developing, testing, and maintaining biological agents and delivery systems. By this agreement, CIA acquired the knowledge, skill, and facilities of the Army to develop biological weapons suited for CIA use. In 1967, the CIA summarized MKNAOMI objectives:

• To provide for a covert support base to meet clandestine operational requirements.
  • To stockpile severely incapacitating and lethal materials for the specific use of TSD [Technical Services Division].
  • To maintain in operational readiness special and unique items for the dissemination of biological and chemical materials.
  • To provide for the required surveillance, testing, upgrading, and evaluation of materials and items in order to assure absence of defects and complete predictability of results to be expected under operational conditions.

In reviewing the records and testimony of SOD personnel, it is easy for the most part, to distinguish SOD's work for the Army from the work for the CIA, even though very few SOD scientists knew of the CIA connection. For example, the CIA personnel who worked with SOD were identified as military officers from the fictitious Staff Support Group, whose interest in SOD was markedly different from the Army's. The CIA was careful to ensure that its moneys were transferred to SOD to cover the cost of CIA projects and the few existing SOD records indicate which projects were to be charged against the CIA funds received from "P-600," the accounting designation for CIA funds.

SOD's work for the Army from 1952 until the early 1960s was primarily to assess the vulnerability of sensitive installations, such as the Pentagon, air bases, and subway systems, to biological sabotage by an enemy….

The transfer from SOD to the CIA resulted in a major quantity of the toxin being retained by the agency in a manner which clearly violated the President's order….

Nevertheless, the history of MKNAOMI and the atmosphere surrounding it undoubtedly contributed to the mistaken belief of these individuals that they were not directly affected by the President's decision. The MKNAOMI project itself was contrary to the United States policy since 1925 and to Presidential announcement since 1943, for it contemplated a first use of biological weapons by the CIA – albeit in the context of small covert operations. Moreover because of the sensitive nature of MKNAOMI, these scientists gave their superiors little written record of their work and received little or no written guidance. The National Security Council staff, charged by the President with determining what U.S. policy should be, did not discover MKNAOMI in the course of its study and did not, therefore, consider the possibility that the CIA had biological weapons or biological agents. The CIA employee who claims to have made the decision, on his own, to retain the toxin received no written instructions to destroy them. Kept outside the National Security Council's study, the employee had to rely only on the newspaper account of the President's announcement and on his own interpretation of it.

Edited by William Kelly

Jan,

Sorry about that. My typo. I read about the Remote Viewing program there in the 70s and didn't mean to imply it went on in the 50s. The only thing I have on Detrick is the Church Com report on MKNAOMI:

BK

Bill - no problem. Thanks for the clarification.

In post #126 in the thread linked below, I mentioned some original MK-ULTRA documents:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...4000&st=120

Those documents can be found at greater length online here:

http://cryptome.org/mkultra-0003.htm

A reading of these documents suggests that much of the procurement and probably human "laboratory" testing of MK-ULTRA materials may actually occurred under MK-DELTA. So, there's yet another covert project acronym that Rivera and Lamanna may very well have been involved in. And another opportunity for senior managers to tell Congress that nothing like that happened under MK-ULTRA...

Whereas under MK-DELTA? If you don't ask the right question.....

This may fall under the category of "been there done that," but you might be surprised at the results you would find regarding MK/ULTRA and Messrs. Gottlieb, Helms et al, by searching "google newsgroups" and even google images.....