The Education Forum

TSBD Staff

This message from Teresa Smith has been reposted.

Readers and Members:

I am the daughter of a first generation critic - Shirley Martin - one of the original housewives' underground (who connected with Mark Lane after his National Guardian article in December 1963). Although just a housewife, my mother was visited twice by the FBI in regard to her study of photo evidence. The 26 volumes comment on her activities with four children and dog in tow. The FBI even visited the Honolulu Airport (my father was the airport manager there for many years until he moved to Oklahoma in 1959) and interviewed his former staff. Although I grew up around the case, I have only recently become interested again. I was fortunate to travel with my mother to Dallas early on (January-February 1964 and many times after) and to meet and listen to many of the early critics and witnesseses in the case - Marguerite Oswald, Fr Huber, Roy Truly, Buddy Walthers, Ruth Paine, Acquila Clemons, Penn Jones, Jones Harris, Mark Lane, Joachim Joesten, Harold Weisberg, William Turner, Vince Salandria, Harold Feldman, Thayer Waldo, Sylvia Meagher among others, and to be present in Dallas during the filming of Rush to Judgment. I am interested in finding out who is living and secondarily, who is still actively interested in the case. My mother is living and reasonably well - but is wary of the anti-critics (after bad experiences with the likes of Larry Schiller etc). I have a specific interest in the TSBD employees - does anyone know which TSBD staffers fueled William Manchester's comments that there was strong anti-JFK sentiment in the building? I have not read the book in years and do not have a copy on hand. My mother and I still believe in Oswald's innocence, but tend not to speculate on specific conspiracy theories.

Regards

Teresa Smith

Manchester is one of the best around for having documented his sources, in regard to remarks about the feeling against JFK in the TSBD it appears to have come from one or more of the following individuals - all of which were interviewed by Manchester on Sept 9, 1964:

Roy Truly

Billy Lovelady

Wesley Frazier

It certainly would be interesting to know the exact source...

-- Larry

Hi James - given that the investigators really were looking to build on the case against Oswald, Arce's questioning really focused on that rather than on Arce himself - virtually no background on him.

About the only thing we do know is that based on HSCA inquiry, it appears that the assassination may have had a real impact on Arce - or something did - as he seems to have acquired a significant drinking problem within a fairly short time following November 22.

-- Larry

About the only thing we do know is that based on HSCA inquiry,  it appears that the assassination may have had a real impact on  Arce - or something did - as he seems to have acquired a significant drinking problem within a fairly short time following November 22.

Hi Larry,

I have a very good photographic comparison that shows a group of men training at No Name Key. One of them is a dead ringer for Danny Arce and the other for a guy who was a spectator in Dealey Plaza.

• 8 years later...
About the only thing we do know is that based on HSCA inquiry, it appears that the assassination may have had a real impact on Arce - or something did - as he seems to have acquired a significant drinking problem within a fairly short time following November 22.

Hi Larry,

I have a very good photographic comparison that shows a group of men training at No Name Key. One of them is a dead ringer for Danny Arce and the other for a guy who was a spectator in Dealey Plaza.

FWIW, here's Danny G. Arce's WC testimony: http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh6/pdf/WH6_Arce.pdf

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

In another FWIW, I knew Danny Arce pretty well back in the late 70's. We both worked as gas turbine (jet engine) inspectors at Cooper Airmotive, near Love Field. He told me about that day in November and how he and some other coworkers went down in the elevator and LHO stayed, but ask that it be sent back up, and so on.

Although I had done my high-school senior thesis on the JFK assassiation (mostly from SSID..thanks Tink!), his name didn't ring a bell with me and I kind of assumed that he was blowing smoke because back then, everyone wanted to have an association with the event. I never did question him in depth about it. It wasn't until the internet came along and I started looking deeper into things that I wished that I had queried him further.

I know it was him now, however, because I recognized him from the pictures of him being loaded into the police car (although he had put on a bit of weight by the 70's). My gut feeling is that he had nothing whatsoever to do with the assassination. Just from working side by side with him, and the fact that he hadn't gone underground afterwards (in fact, he was our union rep at Cooper), and the fact that he was more than willing to talk to anyone about that day tells me that he was just a working stiff that happened to be at the right place at the wrong time.

Somewhere around here I have a group picture from Cooper that includes both myself, and Danny. If I find it, I'll scan and post it.

Edited by J. William King