The Education Forum

Specter trajectory photo

Pat Speer

Most of us here have seen the pictures taken of Arlen Specter while he tested the SBT on May 24, 1964. The front shot was published by the Warren Commission as CE 903. Robert Groden has published a shot taken from the opposite angle, however, demonstrating that Specter was lifting the trajectory far above the back wound when CE 903 was taken. Does anyone know where Groden found this photo? Was it published in a paper? Why are the versions of it so crappy?

Most of us here have seen the pictures taken of Arlen Specter while he tested the SBT on May 24, 1964. The front shot was published by the Warren Commission as CE 903. Robert Groden has published a shot taken from the opposite angle, however, demonstrating that Specter was lifting the trajectory far above the back wound when CE 903 was taken. Does anyone know where Groden found this photo? Was it published in a paper? Why are the versions of it so crappy?

Pat,

Attached is a computer scan of the original negative in the FBI files at NARA.

John Hunt

post-3886-1172057602_thumb.jpg

Here is a never before published image from that session. The original color 35 mm neg. was greatly under exposed. I had to fiddle with brightness and contrast just to be able to see the image.

John Hunt

post-3886-1172057867_thumb.jpg

Here is a never before published image from that session. The original color 35 mm neg. was greatly under exposed. I had to fiddle with brightness and contrast just to be able to see the image.

John Hunt

Thanks John.

Interesting photo.

Pat,

John Hunt

Holy smokes!! Thanks a bunch, John. This picture is classic.

But strangely, this is not the picture in Groden's book. There must have been others....

Pat,

John Hunt

Holy smokes!! Thanks a bunch, John. This picture is classic.

But strangely, this is not the picture in Groden's book. There must have been others....

You're welcome. There were, indeed, others, but I didn't have time to scan them all.

John Hunt

This is most interesting...

Notice the chalk area on the jacket of the stand-ins for JFK and JBC.

Now compare to the location of Specter's pointer...

vis:

specter-crop3.jpg

Interesting...

Good point, Frank:

If you look closely at the first image John posted, as well as the close-up posted here by Frank, you will note a surveyor's "string" in the background that is angled down the window/. This string was "representative" of the angle devised earlier in the day (May 24, 1964) in Dealey Plaza as the SBT solution. I do not have all of the Shaneyfelt work notes in front of me at the moment, but I believe the gist of this particular "garage" rexonstruction was to make sure these two reconstruction trajectories "lined up," so to speak, to the wanted solution. Perhaps John Hunt can enlighten us further.

FWIW

Gary Murr

vis:

specter-crop3.jpg

Interesting...

Good point, Frank:

If you look closely at the first image John posted, as well as the close-up posted here by Frank, you will note a surveyor's "string" in the background that is angled down the window/. This string was "representative" of the angle devised earlier in the day (May 24, 1964) in Dealey Plaza as the SBT solution. I do not have all of the Shaneyfelt work notes in front of me at the moment, but I believe the gist of this particular "garage" rexonstruction was to make sure these two reconstruction trajectories "lined up," so to speak, to the wanted solution. Perhaps John Hunt can enlighten us further.

FWIW

Gary Murr

In my first reply to this thread I indicated that the surveryor's "string" is visible running in a downward angle on both the window and the wall. For some reason the "wall" portion of my description was dropped from the reply post. Sorry

Gary Murr

vis:

specter-crop3.jpg

Interesting...

Good point, Frank:

FWIW

Gary Murr

In my first reply to this thread I indicated that the surveryor's "string" is visible running in a downward angle on both the window and the wall. For some reason the "wall" portion of my description was dropped from the reply post. Sorry

Gary Murr

Gary, I re-read the pertinent testimony about the re-enactment the other day, and discovered a heap of interesting stuff. One that reached out and grabbed me was Shaneyfelt's testimony. When asked if the presumed SBT trajectory from Connally to Kennedy's throat passed through Kennedy's back wound, he said it "approximated" it. They knew it didn't work and just played word games. Specter's still playing 'em.

• 5 years later...

John Hunt

I found this image from John Hunt and lightened it a bit more.

(Click image to enlarge)

hunt1al.png

Edited by Mike Rago

vis:

specter-crop3.jpg

Interesting...

While googling I came across this very good article on the bunching of JFK's jacket. It occurred to me that what we might be seeing in this obvious difference between the chalk mark and the pointer is the difference between where the bullet hole actually exists in the jacket and the actual bullet hole in JFK's back. The difference caused by the bunching of the jacket.

I am not saying I agree with the trajectory that Specter is presenting regards the bullet striking Connally on his right side as indicated in the photo. I am just presenting this as an explanation of the difference between the chalk mark on the jacket and the pointer location.

http://mcadams.posc....du/bunched3.htm

Just to be clear it is my belief that the actual bullet trajectory was such that it struck Connally on his left side not his right side (and became CE399), as we see in the Zapruder film when Connally does his hat swap to his left. A second bullet, which completely missed Kennedy, struck Connally on his right side at the location indicated in the photograph.

sbttrajectory.png

Edited by Mike Rago