The Education Forum

The CIA's Family Jewels

David wrote:

"It may only be me that has noticed, over the years, the frequent appearance of the number "22" and considered whether it was symbolic of something more deeply hidden?"

By golly, I think you may be on to something.

The significant date here is not the date the CIA released the documents but rather the date the news report appeared in the Washington Post!

And of course we have the strange death of Phillip Graham of the Post.

Tie that into the influence of the Post in the downfall of Richard Nixon.

So you have stumbled across a theory that links the Masons, through their control of the Washington Post, to both the assassination of JFK and the downfall of Richard Nixon.

Moreover, since the CIA documents had to be released shortly after June 22nd to allow the story to appear on June 22nd ("the inside joke") this also confirms the CIA's involvement!

Note also that unlike many stories, this story was by-lined to two ("to two" = "22"!!) reporters, just as the Post's coverage of Watergate was! Once more, two plus two, or 22! Astounding!

Eureka! I think you have it! Proving, of course, that two plus two equals four! And that the JFK assassination and the Watergate affair was a grand alliance between the Masons and the CIA, with the help of their friends at the Washington Post!

I suppose you are now going to tell us that Castro is a Mason.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I assume you caught that my post was tongue in cheek since I thought the attempt to tie the publication date of the Washington Post story re the "Family Jewels" to a Masonic conspiracy was, well, outlandish might be a kind word.

John, I assume you caught that my post was tongue in cheek since I thought the attempt to tie the publication date of the Washington Post story re the "Family Jewels" to a Masonic conspiracy was, well, outlandish might be a kind word.

Just an expression of my sense of humour.

Stockholm was a nest for American agents

The Swedish peace activists weren’t paranoid.

Now it is verified that the American intelligence agency, CIA, infiltrated the Swedish Vietnam movement.

- Stockholm was a nest for agents, says Tore Forsberg, former chief of Säpo’s counter espionage.

Stockholm was one of ten cities in the world where the secret American intelligence agency, CIA, gathered its resources for foreign operations of the 1970’s. It’s clear from the so-called family jewels, an 800 pages document that the CIA made public a couple of days ago.

The venture was included in the intelligence program (MH) CHAOS whom so far has been top secret.

The purpose was to survey extremists who supported Cuba, China, Soviet Union, North Korea, and North Vietnam.

By recruiting agents who had been active in different citizen movements, was the CIA able to infiltrate foreign organizations. The rapports were handed over to the CIA’s headquarters who coded the messages.

Henry Kissinger, whom was undersecretary of state at the white house at that time, was one of the top men who received the information.

It was foremost the Swedish Vietnam movements the CIA was an interested of, according to the documents.

According to a rapport from 1972, The Swedish organization for Vietnam movements– Stockholm Conference on Vietnam – planed to disrupt the Republicans and Democratic congresses in USA in July and August by demonstrating.

- The new indications are limited to a certain member of the secretariat of the Stockholm Conference on Vietnam, writes an unknown CIA employee.

“A few was deported”

To Tore Forsberg, Former chief of Säpos contra espionage says that the information doesn’t come as a surprise. He worked at that time as a handling officer at Säpos contra espionage spy department and knew that a handful of the American deserters who had escaped to Sweden, in fact were CIA agents.

- We had a follow-up of who we knew were CIA’s own guys. It led to that a few of these guys were deported, says Forsberg.

Guest David Guyatt
David wrote:

"It may only be me that has noticed, over the years, the frequent appearance of the number "22" and considered whether it was symbolic of something more deeply hidden?"

By golly, I think you may be on to something.

The significant date here is not the date the CIA released the documents but rather the date the news report appeared in the Washington Post!

And of course we have the strange death of Phillip Graham of the Post.

Tie that into the influence of the Post in the downfall of Richard Nixon.

So you have stumbled across a theory that links the Masons, through their control of the Washington Post, to both the assassination of JFK and the downfall of Richard Nixon.

Moreover, since the CIA documents had to be released shortly after June 22nd to allow the story to appear on June 22nd ("the inside joke") this also confirms the CIA's involvement!

Note also that unlike many stories, this story was by-lined to two ("to two" = "22"!!) reporters, just as the Post's coverage of Watergate was! Once more, two plus two, or 22! Astounding!

Eureka! I think you have it! Proving, of course, that two plus two equals four! And that the JFK assassination and the Watergate affair was a grand alliance between the Masons and the CIA, with the help of their friends at the Washington Post!

My God! How right you are.

And to think that I was completely inebriated when I put that theory together. I've astounded myself.

Allow me to bask in my Eureka moment for a moment.

Ah, that's better.

And now for something completely different.

Why, even those ol "spooks" (the term originated at Yale btw, home of ever so secret masonic-like Skull n' Bones) are part of a secret, secret fraternity. Doubly secret. Just think of it. How devilish it was, they are and I am!

Now, I don't know very much about the Washington Post at all, except that it buys stacks of cheap paper to wrap its fish and chips in, but I understand it's editor used to be an petty intelligence officer -- or was that an intelligent petty officer? I forget now. But whether he is a freemason I can't say (I've not bared my breast or rolled up the old trew leg, you see...)

Maybe the Post's Katherine Graham really had nothing to do with the CIA and Operation Mockingbird as reported by Senator Frank Church in the Church Committee hearings?

Perhaps, just perhaps, the 22 arose because although they are intelligence officers, they can't count beyond 2? They hit a metaphorical brick wall and keep repeating the same number? What'ya think?

Or could it be that they formed part of the Eastern Establishment and learned all their tricks from us Brits -- everyone one of whom is awarded a honourary Freemason-ship at birth (much like Mormons, in fact). Even if we don't roll up our trews and bear our breasts (except when we're down the pub). It used to be that in Brit intell if you weren't a Brother you weren't in Brit intell. Simple rules for simple minds, I s'pose.

Sad that ol'd Joe Stalin is dead, because he could've told us a thing or two about Freemasonry, since his intell boys had infiltrated the secret society thoroughly. But maybe the old OGPU/NKVD couldn't count past 2 themselves. Perhaps it was the boatloads of vodka they were compulsorily required to ship in that was responsible for their under average numeracy? I know that was the case for me. Never could count... (btw, two plus two doesn't come close to equalling four, either, or else we'd all know who killed JFK wouldn't we)

Famous president who were high ranking Freemasons are numerous (and some of them definitely could count -- especially banknotes). Included are LBJ, the self-stumbling Gerald Ford, Harry Truman, FDR and, of course, George Washington. But Tricky Dickie isn't amongst this list of digit-squeezing luminaries. Ergo, he could count (and did by all accounts). But his great friend (sic), the lady who headed the FBI at the time, J Edna Hoover, was a very high mason (33rd degree Grand Cross). And well mannered too. He would never talk with his mouth full -- according to his great friend, mafia boss Meyer Lansky.

Of course, the "22" could conceiveably relate to the "emanations" of the Hewbrew Qabalah -- the co-called interconnecting pathways of the ten Sephiroth. This is very Mason occultsy stuff. Or it could, possibly, relate to the feast day of Mary Magdalene, which is on 22nd July. And ol' Mary of Bethany is, of course, a very significant part of occult lore. Especially French masonry, where lots of time that had passed earlier, Mary had arrived, settled and lived down south.

Maybe, the real significance of "22" is simply that it comes after "21" and before "23" in the French alphabet?

Unless you're a French occultist-cum-mason you'll never know.

David

Just an expression of my sense of humour.

What sort of pennance did Gratz serve to be reinstated?

Jack

Stockholm was a nest for American agents

The Swedish peace activists weren't paranoid.

Now it is verified that the American intelligence agency, CIA, infiltrated the Swedish Vietnam movement.

- Stockholm was a nest for agents, says Tore Forsberg, former chief of Säpo's counter espionage.

Stockholm was one of ten cities in the world where the secret American intelligence agency, CIA, gathered its resources for foreign operations of the 1970's. It's clear from the so-called family jewels, an 800 pages document that the CIA made public a couple of days ago.

The venture was included in the intelligence program (MH) CHAOS whom so far has been top secret.

The purpose was to survey extremists who supported Cuba, China, Soviet Union, North Korea, and North Vietnam.

By recruiting agents who had been active in different citizen movements, was the CIA able to infiltrate foreign organizations. The rapports were handed over to the CIA's headquarters who coded the messages.

Henry Kissinger, whom was undersecretary of state at the white house at that time, was one of the top men who received the information.

It was foremost the Swedish Vietnam movements the CIA was an interested of, according to the documents.

According to a rapport from 1972, The Swedish organization for Vietnam movements– Stockholm Conference on Vietnam – planed to disrupt the Republicans and Democratic congresses in USA in July and August by demonstrating.

- The new indications are limited to a certain member of the secretariat of the Stockholm Conference on Vietnam, writes an unknown CIA employee.

"A few was deported"

To Tore Forsberg, Former chief of Säpos contra espionage says that the information doesn't come as a surprise. He worked at that time as a handling officer at Säpos contra espionage spy department and knew that a handful of the American deserters who had escaped to Sweden, in fact were CIA agents.

- We had a follow-up of who we knew were CIA's own guys. It led to that a few of these guys were deported, says Forsberg.

Keep the above in mind when remembering the assassination of Olav Palme....ask Ollie North..he knows who killed Palme...as do many other CIA/MI/US-covert op types.

Peter,

As to the Palmer murder, according to the latest, he was killed by an alcoholic called Krister Pettersson who mistakenly killed Palme because he looked like a hard-nosed drug dealer called Sigge Cedergren, whom he had a dispute with.

The murder could have been solved back in 1986, if the police and the office of the public hadn’t messed up the evidence.

Krister Pettersson has been a prime suspect for years but always managed to get away with it. However, after his death, many friends maintained that he had confessed that he was the lone assassin.

Also, much evidence in form of papers has surfaced during the last years, which suggests that Pettersson was the assailant.

Olof Palme’s wife, Lisbet, has always maintained that she saw this individual, since she saw him running away from the scene.

Furthermore, I believe the CIA had some kind of surveillance on Olof Palme, although I cannot comment on that, as I have not read much about it.

Johansson

Mark: "The Swedish peace activists weren't paranoid. Now it is verified that the American intelligence agency, CIA, infiltrated the Swedish Vietnam movement. - Stockholm was a nest for agents, says Tore Forsberg, former chief of Säpo's counter espionage."

Mark, I don't know how old you are, but growing up in Sweden in the late sixties and early seventies, one could not miss that one had, in Olof Palme, a very respected and loved elected leader who was a thorn in the US military expeditions.

Palme marched with Ho.

Americans who deserted were welcome and given freedom to stay.

He supported Castro and Cuban Sovereignty.

I remember an influx of vietnamese kids in school. (First time I saw people with truly black hair.)

MLK was very respected.

re the Civil Right's fighting going on and the Anti War movement, I remember reading stories in the paper of rightwingers in the USA torching Saabs and Volvos.

We had bomb shelter practice and regular air raid warning tests. As a neutral country that supported all countries right to fight for their sovereignty and to have the strength to do so, and Swedens particular support and involvement in the U.N. (see Congo for example) certainly makes the notions of CIA infiltration and the later Contra connections re the Palme murder easy to assimilate.

This is very important if it is true.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7062102434.html

By Karen DeYoung and Walter Pincus

Washington Post Staff Writers

Friday, June 22, 2007; Page A01

The CIA will declassify hundreds of pages of long-secret records detailing some of the intelligence agency's worst illegal abuses -- the so-called "family jewels" documenting a quarter-century of overseas assassination attempts, domestic spying, kidnapping and infiltration of leftist groups from the 1950s to the 1970s, CIA Director Michael V. Hayden said yesterday.

The documents, to be publicly released next week, also include accounts of break-ins and theft, the agency's opening of private mail to and from China and the Soviet Union, wiretaps and surveillance of journalists, and a series of "unwitting" tests on U.S. civilians, including the use of drugs.

"Most of it is unflattering, but it is CIA's history," Hayden said in a speech to a conference of foreign policy historians. The documents have been sought for decades by historians, journalists and conspiracy theorists and have been the subject of many fruitless Freedom of Information Act requests.

In anticipation of the CIA's release, the National Security Archive at George Washington University yesterday published a separate set of documents from January 1975 detailing internal government discussions of the abuses. Those documents portray a rising sense of panic within the administration of President Gerald R. Ford that what then-CIA Director William E. Colby called "skeletons" in the CIA's closet had begun to be revealed in news accounts.

A New York Times article by reporter Seymour Hersh about the CIA's infiltration of antiwar groups, published in December 1974, was "just the tip of the iceberg," then-Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger warned Ford, according to a Jan. 3 memorandum of their conversation.

Kissinger warned that if other operations were divulged, "blood will flow," saying, "For example, Robert Kennedy personally managed the operation on the assassination of [Cuban President Fidel] Castro." Kennedy was the attorney general from 1961 to 1964.

Worried that the disclosures could lead to criminal prosecutions, Kissinger added that "when the FBI has a hunting license into the CIA, this could end up worse for the country than Watergate," the scandal that led to the fall of the Nixon administration the previous year.

In a meeting at which Colby detailed the worst abuses -- after telling the president "we have a 25-year old institution which has done some things it shouldn't have" -- Ford said he would appoint a presidential commission to look into the matter. "We don't want to destroy but to preserve the CIA. But we want to make sure that illegal operations and those outside the [CIA] charter don't happen," Ford said.

Most of the major incidents and operations in the reports to be released next week were revealed in varying detail during congressional investigations that led to widespread intelligence reforms and increased oversight. But the treasure-trove of CIA documents, generated as the Vietnam War wound down and agency involvement in Nixon's "dirty tricks" political campaign began to be revealed, is expected to provide far more comprehensive accounts, written by the agency itself.

The reports, known collectively by historians and CIA officials as the "family jewels," were initially produced in response to a 1973 request by then-CIA Director James R. Schlesinger. Alarmed by press accounts of CIA involvement in Watergate under his predecessor, Schlesinger asked the agency's employees to inform him of all operations that were "outside" the agency's legal charter.

This process was unprecedented at the agency, where only a few officials had previously been privy to the scope of its illegal activities. Schlesinger collected the reports, some of which dated to the 1950s, in a folder that was inherited by his successor, Colby, in September of that year.

But it was not until Hersh's article that Colby took the file to the White House. The National Security Archive release included a six-page summary of a conversation on Jan. 3, 1975, in which Colby briefed the Justice Department for the first time on the extent of the "skeletons."

Operations listed in the report began in 1953, when the CIA's counterintelligence staff started a 20-year program to screen and in some cases open mail between the United States and the Soviet Union passing through a New York airport. A similar program in San Francisco intercepted mail to and from China from 1969 to 1972. Under its charter, the CIA is prohibited from domestic operations.

Colby told Ford that the program had collected four letters to actress and antiwar activist Jane Fonda and said the entire effort was "illegal, and we stopped it in 1973."

Among several new details, the summary document reveals a 1969 program about CIA efforts against "the international activities of radicals and black militants." Undercover CIA agents were placed inside U.S. peace groups and sent abroad as credentialed members to identify any foreign contacts. This came at a time when the Soviet Union was suspected of financing and influencing U.S. domestic organizations.

The program included "information on the domestic activities" of the organizations and led to the accumulation of 10,000 American names, which Colby told Silberman were retained "as a result of the tendency of bureaucrats to retain paper whether they needed it or acted on it or not," according to the summary memo.

CIA surveillance of Michael Getler, then The Washington Post's national security reporter, was conducted between October 1971 and April 1972 under direct authorization by then-Director Richard Helms, the memo said. Getler had written a story published on Oct. 18, 1971, sparked by what Colby called "an obvious intelligence leak," headlined "Soviet Subs Are Reported Cuba-Bound."

Getler, who is now the ombudsman for the Public Broadcasting Service, said yesterday that he learned of the surveillance in 1975, when The Post published an article based on a secret report by congressional investigators. The story said that the CIA used physical surveillance against "five Americans" and listed Getler, the late columnist Jack Anderson and Victor Marchetti, a former CIA employee who had just written a book critical of the agency.

"I never knew about it at the time, although it was a full 24 hours a day with teams of people following me, looking for my sources," Getler said. He said he went to see Colby afterward, with Washington lawyer Joseph Califano. Getler recalled, "Colby said it happened under Helms and apologized and said it wouldn't happen again."

Personal surveillance was conducted on Anderson and three of his staff members, including Britt Hume, now with Fox News, for two months in 1972 after Anderson wrote of the administration's "tilt toward Pakistan." The 1972 surveillance of Marchetti was carried out "to determine contacts with CIA employees," the summary said.

CIA monitoring and infiltration of antiwar dissident groups took place between 1967 and 1971 at a time when the public was turning against the Vietnam War. Agency officials "covertly monitored" groups in the Washington area "who were considered to pose a threat to CIA installations." Some of the information "might have been distributed to the FBI," the summary said. Other "skeletons" listed in the summary included:

· The confinement by the CIA of a Russian defector, suspected by the CIA as a possible "fake," in Maryland and Virginia safe houses for two years, beginning in 1964. Colby speculated that this might be "a violation of the kidnapping laws."

· The "very productive" 1963 wiretapping of two columnists -- Robert Allen and Paul Scott -- whose conversations included talks with 12 senators and six congressmen.

· Break-ins by the CIA's office of security at the homes of one current and one former CIA official suspected of retaining classified documents.

· CIA-funded testing of American citizens, "including reactions to certain drugs."

The CIA documents scheduled for release next week, Hayden said yesterday, "provide a glimpse of a very different time and a very different agency."

Barred by secrecy restrictions from correcting "misinformation," he said, the CIA is at the mercy of the press. "Unfortunately, there seems to be an instinct among some in the media today to take a few pieces of information, which may or may not be accurate, and run with them to the darkest corner of the room," Hayden said.

Hayden's speech and some questions that followed evoked more recent criticism of the intelligence community, which has been accused of illegal wiretapping, infiltration of antiwar groups, and kidnapping and torturing of terrorism suspects.

"It's surely part of [Hayden's] program now to draw a bright line with the past," said National Security Archive Director Thomas S. Blanton. "But it's uncanny how the government keeps dipping into the black bag." Newly revealed details of ancient CIA operations, Blanton said, "are pretty resonant today."

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

CIA's family jewels reveal chilling past

www.newscientist

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortshar...lling-past.html

Like many other reporters, I spent much of yesterday scrolling through the 702 pages of CIA documents known as "the family jewels", finally released after more than three decades in the shadows. Dating from 1973, they detail responses from CIA staff to then-director James Schlesinger, who wanted to know about activities that might be "inconsistent with the Agency's charter" – illegal, in plain English.

The documents reveal a paranoid web of domestic wiretapping and break-ins, and discuss the failed plot to assassinate Cuban leader Fidel Castro. Most interesting to me, however, was the dearth of reports on some of the most unethical experiments ever conducted by the US government: the mind-control research programme known as MKULTRA, under which LSD and other drugs were given to unwitting subjects, including prison inmates and the patrons of brothels set up by the CIA.

The programme resulted in at least one death, that of Frank Olson, a biochemist at the US Army's biowarfare research centre in Fort Detrick, Maryland. After being given a drink spiked with LSD, he began behaving oddly and was taken to New York for psychiatric treatment. It was too late: on 28 November 1953, Olson plunged to his death from a hotel window.

This sordid enterprise was documented in John Marks' 1979 book The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. The surviving official documents, obtained under the US Freedom of Information Act, can be viewed here.

Some of MKULTRA's activities were also detailed in a 1963 internal report from the CIA's inspector general. This acknowledged that "concepts involved in manipulating human behavior are found by many people both within and outside the Agency to be distasteful and unethical" and warned that "some MKULTRA activities raise questions of legality". But the details didn't become public until the late 1970s. So I was surprised not to see more on the programme in the "family jewels". Perhaps CIA staff didn't think that forcing mind-altering drugs onto unwitting citizens was a big deal. There was a lot of it going on in the 1960s, after all.

Still, the few references to drug testing in the newly-released documents make chilling reading. Go to page 416, and you will learn of a behavioural drug screened as part of "larger programme, in which the Agency had relations with commercial drug manufacturers, whereby they passed on drugs rejected because of unfavorable side effects". Drugs deemed interesting were later tested on "volunteer members of the Armed forces". The programme was apparently considered "defensive, in the sense that we would recognize certain behavior if similar materials were used against Americans".

It's the complicity of the pharmaceutical industry, passing on drugs known to be harmful, that I find most disturbing. Any ex-spooks or pharma executives care to comment?

Peter Aldhous, San Francisco Bureau Chief

• Posted by Gaia at 11:04

• del.icio.us

• digg this

Comments:

All comments should respect the New Scientist House Rules. If you think a particular comment breaks these rules then please let us know, quoting the comment in question.

Does this document include a chapter on the clandestine uses of Polonium-210?

By Anonymous on June 27, 2007 5:20 PM

Not to my knowledge, but as of today, the documents are available as a PDF that can be searched by keyword at the National Security Archive at www.nsarchive.org

By Peter on June 27, 2007 8:58 PM

John Prados, a senior fellow with the National Security Archive at George Washington University in Washington DC sent me the following comment, which provides some interesting background:

MK/ULTRA is only one of a number of topics that seem to be underrepresented in the "Family Jewels." There are several contributing factors in my view. One is certainly the "people factor." Jim Schlesinger (contrary to his reception among CIA audiences today) was not well-liked at the agency, and learned only what agency employees wanted to tell him. The set represents a compilation of reports from division chiefs, and Sidney Gottlieb of the Technical Services Division, I'm sure, was not happy to be reporting on this at all, especially since he knew death had resulted. Since the experiments were not well known within the agency he probably thought he could get away with it. Especially given that TSD had a number of other things to report that would be sure to divert attention.

Another reason, I think, is that Watergate was a main impetus for the report and, again, would be sure to divert attention. My feeling is that Gottlieb put in enough to be able to say he had reported this, while avoiding details that might have called attention to it.

Peter Aldhous, San Francisco Bureau Chief

By Peter on June 28, 2007 6:42 PM

Guest David Guyatt

"So I was surprised not to see more on the programme in the "family jewels". Perhaps CIA staff didn't think that forcing mind-altering drugs onto unwitting citizens was a big deal."

Richard Helms claimed to have destroyed most of the MKULTRA files on his own initiative, rather than allow them to be scrutinised by the Senate (the Church Committee hearings from memory).

To obtain a deeper insight of what might have gone on under the MKULTRA umbrella requires a more imaginative puzzle building effort (that obviously is fraught with numerous uncertainties and where angels fear to tread).

Personally, I favour Peter Levenda's book Sinister Forces - A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft (Book One The None) as a jumping off point. Then followed by Nick Cook's The Hunt for Zero Point. After that a move to the bizarre is called for (as if mind control technology isn't) in the form of Remote Viewing, Remote Influencing, the fatuously named First Earth Division, Sirhan Sirhan and much much more curious material besides.

It truly is a mindfield.

David

Edited by David Guyatt

Many others, including credible psychiatrists, while LSD was legal, conducted extensive research, much of it positive. LSD and THC is generally only potentially dangerous to the person ingesting it dependent on the situation in which it is taken and prior mental health issues. Under proper supervision, these old drugs such as Mescaline etc has a long history in many Cultures and are regarded as essential to them in the various transitions to adulthood.

The danger to the establishment is the altered perception which can open doors revealing the corruption of a negative (there must be a better word for it, ('square'? 'uptight'?)) societies and the potential of freeing the individual from its constraints.

The Kool Aid acid Tests, Cassady, Ginsberg, Ram Das, The Merry Pranksters, and others tried to define the positive potentials. This potential, is that it 'produces' a population insulated against the 'Thought Police'. Therein the reasons for obscuring the potential by making it something within the realm of MKULTRA and hence something distasteful. It need not be seen as such.

I suspect the forced abuse of lifers and death row prisoners, as well as the research on Military Personell, with regards to radiation exposure, and many other large scale experiments akin to the Nazi concentration camp 'research' (see bad blood, bad ethics topic) is really the things not wanted for public consumption as the possible legal ramifications re class actions is a strong motivator for secrecy.

Focusing just on the LSD aspects makes that the topic, and then the 'real stuff' remains undealt with.

Edited by John Dolva

As for the MK/ULTRA aspects of the "Costume Jewels" - there is a reference [00415] to the use of a Cryogenic Magnetometer on unsuspecting subjects.

This is new to me.

Does anyone have anything on what a Cryogenic Magnetometer does and how it could be used on unsuspecting subjects?

Thanks,

BK

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PALEOMAG/Cryo.html

http://www.otago.ac.nz/geology/palaeomagne...facilities.html

http://www-odp.tamu.edu/sciops/labs/pmagshore/

Prior to reading the articles, one might assume it has something to do with measuring magnetic fields. The 'cryogenic' implies a supercooling which makes for efficiency. The articles seem to refer to cryogenic magnetometers as a means of isolating rock samples from the earths magnetic field and measuring to a fine degre the rock's magnetic properties.

Applying this to humans in a usual CMM seems impossible because of the scale. However if one looks up Dr Will. Reich, a contemporary of Jung and Freud and looks at the FDA treatment of Reich and his 'Orgone accumulator' which was an attempt to isolate a human from all electromagnetic waves, and marries that with the shielding properties of a CMM it's possible someone was doing some experiments on an advanced type of 'Orgone accumulator'. Reich was not approved of by the US establishment as he had a rather radical outlook upon mental health and sexuality. However, while he died in prison as a result of FDA actions and his laboratory and equipment destroyed and his notes presumably taken, there may have been a thread in the MKULTRA program that saw a reason to continue and expand on the isolation component of his work. Particularly(from memory) as Reich spent some time in the USSR.

ie the use of the term 'cryogenic magnetometer' may just be a description wrongly used of an adapted component of such an isolation experiment?

Edited by John Dolva