The Education Forum

Nov. 22nd 2007 Anniversary

Is it me, or is everyone else seeing what im seeing? Every year it seems there is less and less coverage of the anniversary of our Presidents death. Is it because there are not enough people interested in this subject? I personally dont think so. I remember years ago, this date couldnt go by without several programs on all day, reliving those trajic events in 63', for not just those who were around then, but for our younger generation to learn more about their history. Could it be the government doesnt want these programs shown? Very possible. Look what they did with "The Men WHo Killed Kennedey". Gone, and not to be seen again, due to the fact of pressure from "certain" families. Talk about influence! I looked through the guide today, and I believe there is one short show on JFK on the "Discovery" channel tonight. Thats it. Channel 12 [PBS] had an hour program the other night about how the assassination was covered by the media during those 3-4 days. Other than that, nada, zip. Remeber several years ago.....TMWKK was shown every night for like 1-2 hours every night all week! Now those of you abroad, may be getting a whole lot more than we are. It wouldnt surprise me one bit, as it seems other countries seem to have more respect, and honor for our slain President than our own country does. Is this supposed to fade into oblivion? The anniversary has fallen on Thanksgiving this year, when families will be flocked around the televisions most of the day and night. What better exposure could you ask for. I love football, but I would surely change the channel to watch a program on JFK on his anniversary. [regardless of the concerns of my guests wanting the football!] What better exposure could the broadcasting stations ask for, or are they not concerned anymore. Do they consider it "done to death"? Personally I beleive that this subject needs to be kept alive, and in the forefronts of our minds for many years to come. Especially for our younger generations. I think you would be hard pressed to even find an article in the press concerning this day either. I hope that things get better, before they get worse. JMO thanks--MS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me, or is everyone else seeing what im seeing? Every year it seems there is less and less coverage of the anniversary of our Presidents death. Is it because there are not enough people interested in this subject? I personally dont think so. I remember years ago, this date couldnt go by without several programs on all day, reliving those trajic events in 63', for not just those who were around then, but for our younger generation to learn more about their history. Could it be the government doesnt want these programs shown? Very possible. Look what they did with "The Men WHo Killed Kennedey". Gone, and not to be seen again, due to the fact of pressure from "certain" families. Talk about influence! I looked through the guide today, and I believe there is one short show on JFK on the "Discovery" channel tonight. Thats it. Channel 12 [PBS] had an hour program the other night about how the assassination was covered by the media during those 3-4 days. Other than that, nada, zip. Remeber several years ago.....TMWKK was shown every night for like 1-2 hours every night all week! Now those of you abroad, may be getting a whole lot more than we are. It wouldnt surprise me one bit, as it seems other countries seem to have more respect, and honor for our slain President than our own country does. Is this supposed to fade into oblivion? The anniversary has fallen on Thanksgiving this year, when families will be flocked around the televisions most of the day and night. What better exposure could you ask for. I love football, but I would surely change the channel to watch a program on JFK on his anniversary. [regardless of the concerns of my guests wanting the football!] What better exposure could the broadcasting stations ask for, or are they not concerned anymore. Do they consider it "done to death"? Personally I beleive that this subject needs to be kept alive, and in the forefronts of our minds for many years to come. Especially for our younger generations. I think you would be hard pressed to even find an article in the press concerning this day either. I hope that things get better, before they get worse. JMO thanks--MS

It seems others thought the same thing::

: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:18 pm Post subject: Kennedy Assassination Anniversary News blackout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There won't be anything in the news about the assassinaton. They want people to forget about it.

There are people still alive who know the real story.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic....asc&start=0

Get this:

They

Who is 'they'?

I (mildly) resent your implication that the people on the Warren Commission didn't do their job properly.

Edited by Peter McGuire

Is it me, or is everyone else seeing what im seeing? Every year it seems there is less and less coverage of the anniversary of our Presidents death.

We should not forget this important article that was published this month:

http://www.playboy.com/magazine/features/jfk/jfk-page01.html

Yes indeed, besides the Playboy article, and Holland in the Op-Ed-NYT today, I'm sure there will be a lot more new articles out there.

If anybody notices anything of similar interest I'd like to know about it, so please supply a link.

Also, this is a Major holiday in USA - Thanksgiving, so that alone will bump a lot of JFK memories off the front page.

I think there will be some more similar articles out there, and next year, the 45th anniversary of JFK, and 40th anniversary of MLK and RFK, all will receive a lot more of a mainstream media blitz.

I'm sure the Tom Hanks/HBO Bugliosi series will be timed for then.

BK

The numbers of people who were alive when the Kennedy Assassination occurred are dwindling down. We must never forget this crime, nor the overthrow of govt. What we must do is continue to talk about the slaughter that happened November 22, 1963, so generations to come will not be ignorant of it. Let's not allow the Gerald Posners, Mark Fuhrmans and Vincent Bugliosis of the world have the last say. I know members are angry when an "old" issue is brought up again. But you have to realize there are people here who never knew what President Kennedy's Administration was all about. I suggest they read Brothers by David Talbot to see what Kennedy was up against.

Kathy Collins

The numbers of people who were alive when the Kennedy Assassination occurred are dwindling down. We must never forget this crime, nor the overthrow of govt.

Kathy Collins

I am one of those who was not alive during President Kennedy's administration. Please rest assured, however, that the events of that weekend WILL NOT FADE AWAY.

Ever.

People like me won't let that happen. I may not have the memories of President Kennedy but I do have a sense of justice, of what this country and world lost with his murder. So I will make sure my future students are well aware of the importance of not forgetting, of not letting it fade into the mists of history.

It won't happen on my watch. I promise.

The takeover of the controlled media by the Oligarchy is now almost complete. Murdock was chosen by Ted Shackley to be a CIA Media asset worldwide and supplied with the funds [not originally his own] to do so. The other corporate media follow in lock-step. I think the coincidence of Thanksgiving is the minor part of it and 9/11, Patriot Act, the blooming policestate and controlled media the major factor. IMO

Thanks all for your input. Seems most are on the same page, and it is such a shame to have his death just become another forgotten milepost. Well, with all of our help we can keep this a part of our heritage, and not something to be forgotten about like so many other historical events that have shaped and formed our country. Im curious to see what next years 45th anniversary brings about. I am sure it should, I say it should, bring a better responce on our media mogols, but only time will tell. Thanks again, and keep on keeping on. MS

The numbers of people who were alive when the Kennedy Assassination occurred are dwindling down. We must never forget this crime, nor the overthrow of govt.

Kathy Collins

I am one of those who was not alive during President Kennedy's administration. Please rest assured, however, that the events of that weekend WILL NOT FADE AWAY.

Ever.

People like me won't let that happen. I may not have the memories of President Kennedy but I do have a sense of justice, of what this country and world lost with his murder. So I will make sure my future students are well aware of the importance of not forgetting, of not letting it fade into the mists of history.

And, for those of us who stood on the threshold of their adult lives, at the age of eighteen years old. Those of us, who thought they were about to change the world for the better with all the promise of a New Frontier and the hopes of a brighter, newer future with this young, beautiful, and extremely intelligent man at the helm of our Starship Enterprise. Our lives and dreams were literally dashed and shattered on that bright, sunny midday afternoon in a small plaza in Dallas, Texas.

"Hail To The Chief," will always be remembered in my mind's ear as it was played in a beautiful dirge, as requested by his young widow, on that cold, bleak morning in Washington, DC, as they walked behind his casket being drawn on a casson in the funeral cortege, his riderless horse with his boots facing backwards on the stirrups of his saddle.

LUCKY MAN

Words and music by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

He had white horses and ladies by the score

All dressed in satin and waiting by the door

{Refrain}

Oooh, what a lucky man he was

Oooh, what a lucky man he was

White lace and feathers, they made up his bed

A gold covered mattress on which he was laid

{Refrain}

He went to fight wars for his country and his king

Of his honor and his glory the people would sing

{Refrain}

A bullet had found him, his blood ran as he cried

No money could save him, so he laid down and he died

{Refrain}

Theresa C. Mauro

11-22-07

The Kennedy presidency was a pivotal moment in history for other very significant reasons. It was the time that ushered in the live TV broadcast. The first use of a mobile radio station was in Dallas in that year. Woman was Mrs He Surname and became more an identity. A hundred years of blacks waiting for civil rights was declared by Kennedy to be over. Economically this had far reaching consequences in the staus quo of the old south. IOW the reasons for remembering Kennedy is emeshed in events that proclaim a before and an after.

The end of Civil Authority as opposed to vote by bullet broadcast worldwide in real time was a defining moment that exemplified the reaction to the changes.

The numbers of people who were alive when the Kennedy Assassination occurred are dwindling down. We must never forget this crime, nor the overthrow of govt. What we must do is continue to talk about the slaughter that happened November 22, 1963, so generations to come will not be ignorant of it. Let's not allow the Gerald Posners, Mark Fuhrmans and Vincent Bugliosis of the world have the last say. I know members are angry when an "old" issue is brought up again. But you have to realize there are people here who never knew what President Kennedy's Administration was all about. I suggest they read Brothers by David Talbot to see what Kennedy was up against.

Kathy Collins

Happy Thanksgiving Day, Kath. I hope you are spending it with those you love, and with those who can understand and reflect upon what we all shared that terrible "Thanksgiving" weekend in 1963.

Remember Judy Garland being forced to go on like the trouper she really was, when she'd have rather been in DC for the funeral?

Dressed in black, she said, "This is for you, Jack." and broke into a heartbreaking rendition of "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic."

All I could do was weep, that whole horrible week.

Take care, and if you're going out on the road, drive safely.

Kathy Collins

Ever.

Courtney,

People like you inspire hope in me. Your students will be fortunate. Who knows which of them

will go on to become journalists, teachers, historians, passing the torch of truth:

"Let the word go forth".

Dawn

Kathy Collins

Ever.

Thanks for that Courtney. I believe as shocking as the events of 9/11 were, those of 11/22/63 were even more devastating to those of us who have those memories seared into our minds and 'souls'. They are, of course, different heads of the the same Hydra. It is heartening that those who were not here to remember it as it happened can understand the importance of the event - and the need to counter it. 9/11 was another blow...but the first BIG one happened in Dallas on that day 44 years ago. It was theft of a Nation by stealth, nothing less...slowly, by slight of hand and lies......if one looks at what is left of the America that existed on 11/21/63 one would have to say very little...but enough to fight for what we have lost back...if ONLY people would feel empowered to fight. It is OUR Nation - NOT 'theirs' [the secret Oligarchy] It is one person one vote, not one dollar one vote! Time is now short, I fear...one more event like these and those of open minds will be in detention camps. I know that sounds extreme....no one in Germany in the early 1930s would have believed it possible either....but it happened - and is happening in America. America, Awake - or face an endless night.......and fog.....

I believe as shocking as the events of 9/11 were, those of 11/22/63 were even more devastating to those of us who have those memories seared into our minds and 'souls'.

I sometimes get the feeling that 9/11 was staged as the "shock and awe" experience it was, as a way of diminishing the memories of the assassinations of JFK, MLK, and RFK, if not completely obliterating them, from the American collective consciousness. But, that's just my humble opinion.

Kathy Collins

Ever.

Courtney,

People like you inspire hope in me. Your students will be fortunate. Who knows which of them

will go on to become journalists, teachers, historians, passing the torch of truth:

"Let the word go forth".

Dawn

"Your students will be fortunate. Who knows which of them will go on to become journalists, teachers, historians, passing the torch of truth: "Let the word go forth"."

I'm in total agreement with you there, Dawnie.

How fortunate we all might be if only there were more young people, like Courtney, out there to carry the torch for us into this new millenium.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, my fellow Americans.

To the rabid right wing, the assassination of JFK must have been a glorious moment. Here was a president who, in their collective opinion, was a collossal failure. He singlehandedly screwed up the Bay of Pigs, to hear them tell it. In the Cuban Missile Crisis, he gave away the store instead of sending in the B52's with the nukes, as any good, red-blooded [true American] right-winger would've done. His foreign policy was a series of missteps and stumbles, and at home he let the n*ggers think they were somebody! Instead of locking up that "black agitator" Martin Luther King, he let him hold a rally at the Lincoln Memorial!!! In short, JFK was, to the right wingers, the most UN-American leader ever...on a level with Benedict Arnold, to some. So what happened to him should've come as no surprise...the only surprise being it didn't happen sooner.

These are things I've heard said in recent years about JFK.

[Now, if JFK had singlehandedly caused the collapse of Communism--as some still credit one successor with doing--maybe the right might've cozied up to him a bit more.]

And despite all the cry from the right about a left-wing US media bias, today in America the right wing owns the media. So expect that whenever anything is aired about JFK, it will be ONLY something negative.

But JFK called this nation to become more than what we were in 1960...to join together in working to achieve our potential. There were new challenges on the horizon and New Frontiers; there was the Peace Corps...the war in Vietnam was essentially "theirs to win or lose" in 1963. "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." Liberal stuff there, indeed.

After November 22, 1963, the world was still the same...but the joy and positive anticipation with which we'd previously faced the challenges of the day were gone. Instead of the vibrant Jack Kennedy, we were led by the dour LBJ...followed by the brooding Nixon. And we are still being led by their political heirs, folks whose vision of America more closely follows Adolph Hitler's vision of Germany than Jack Kennedy's vision of America. Government OF the people, but certainly not FOR or BY the people.

Mark wrote:

To the rabid right wing, the assassination of JFK must have been a glorious moment. Here was a president who, in their collective opinion, was a collossal failure

The assassination was a glorious event to members of organized crime who were being vigorously prosecuted by JFK's brother.

With respect to celebration even by the "rabid" right wing, I am sure some occured and indeed has been documented. But it is unfair I think to brand even right-wing extremists as people who would celebrate the murder of a political opponent.

Look at it this way: many members consider the administartion of the current president as at best a "collossal failure". But I hope that in the unlikely event he should share the same fate as JFK few of you would celebrate it as a "glorious moment."

Back then, I was not an extremist but I was quite conservative. I cried that entire weekend and I know that was also true of many other supporters of Barry Goldwater. JFK was the president of all Americans even those who disagreed with his policies and his assassination was a crime directed not only at him but at our democratic system.

And Mark is wrong, the programs that have been aired about JFK have been anything but negative about him.

Mark is also wrong that the "right wing" owns the media. Left-wing bias in the main stream media is well-documented.