The Education Forum

Where Are They?

Tim Gratz

I just read in "Breach of Promise" about the HSCA staffer's interview with FBI agent Robert O'Neill. O'Neill told the HSCA interviewers that he had been questioned at length by WC associate counsel Arlen Specter--but of course he was not called to testify before the WC.

Presumably Specter must have taken some notes re his interview(s) with O'Neill. One would also think it likely he would have memorialized his interview.

Does anyone know if all of the WC internal staff memoranda and documents such as staff notes on interviews have now been released for public review? Has anyone seen either a memorandum or notes on Specter';s interview with O'Neill?

Hi Tim:

In answer to your query regarding any notes generated by staff of the Warren Commission. As far as I know, and it has been seven years since I glanced briefly at some of this during a venture at NARA II, the bulk of these surviving notes are found in two different locations, identified in the JFK Assasination Records Collection Register. Entry 35, which is a single box of material, consists of "notebooks" constructed by some staff members in conjunction with their taking of testimony of various witnesses. Though I glanced briefly in this box, it would appear that the bulk of this pertained strictly to those individuals actually called to testify before the Commission. However, the largest collection of surviving staff notes are contained in 35 boxes of "office files" generated by the Commission staff. I was into some of this material, including files constructed by Arlen Specter, but I was looking for information that pertained to his contacts with John Connally. If you get the chance to visit the NARA II facility, these files and notes are available for examination.

FWIW

Gary Murr

Hi Tim:

In answer to your query regarding any notes generated by staff of the Warren Commission. As far as I know, and it has been seven years since I glanced briefly at some of this during a venture at NARA II, the bulk of these surviving notes are found in two different locations, identified in the JFK Assasination Records Collection Register. Entry 35, which is a single box of material, consists of "notebooks" constructed by some staff members in conjunction with their taking of testimony of various witnesses. Though I glanced briefly in this box, it would appear that the bulk of this pertained strictly to those individuals actually called to testify before the Commission. However, the largest collection of surviving staff notes are contained in 35 boxes of "office files" generated by the Commission staff. I was into some of this material, including files constructed by Arlen Specter, but I was looking for information that pertained to his contacts with John Connally. If you get the chance to visit the NARA II facility, these files and notes are available for examination.

FWIW

Gary Murr

Hey Gary, nice to see you around. Tim, after looking through a mound of Weisberg material re the paraffin tests, it became obvious to me that the Government feels original source material is none of our g-darn business. The FBI and the Attorney General for years held that reports and conclusions could be released to the public, but not the actual test results. What it really meant was that, in the name of National Security, the American public is forbidden from second-guessing the FBI, or allowing other experts to second-guess the FBI.