The Education Forum

Specter Calls for UN Assassinations Commission

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/200...ions_panel.html

Cover-up in Pakistan? U.N. needs a permanent assassinations panel

Arlen Specter

is the senior senator

from Pennsylvania

Benazir Bhutto's assassination was an extraordinary shock to me because Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D., R.I.) and I were scheduled to meet with her three hours later in Islamabad. It took my thoughts to JFK's assassination, my previous meetings with her when she was prime minister, and the devastating loss to Pakistan of a vibrant leader who had the potential to unify and stabilize the tottering nation.

From my work on the Warren Commission staff, I was immediately troubled by the failure of the local authorities to secure the crime scene. Then, reminiscent of the JFK investigation, I heard there was to be no autopsy for Bhutto. To compound matters, her attending doctors reported they were directed by the government not to talk to the news media. It was obvious that a failed investigation would inspire conspiracy theories about President Pervez Musharraf's involvement and further complicate the planned elections.

Before returning to the United States, on Jan. 2, I wrote to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urging a United Nations investigation. Hearing nothing, I wrote again 15 days later renewing the request and adding the proposal that the United Nations establish a standing commission to investigate political assassinations. Such a commission would be in a position to act immediately when the next assassination occurs. Speed is essential for a successful investigation to move quickly to preserve evidence and question witnesses while their memories are fresh and before tampering occurs.

Musharraf acknowledged the need for outside help by requesting assistance from Scotland Yard. That was insufficient because Pakistan was to retain control and precious time had already been lost. Procedures could be established to protect national sovereignty with exclusions for countries with the technical expertise and the requisite objectivity for public confidence.

Statements by Bhutto's party colleague, Sen. Sarfraz Khan Lashari, suggest one motive for the assassination. Lashari said Bhutto was planning to turn over evidence to Kennedy and me on vote fraud. I've since written to Lashari and Bhutto's husband, Asif Ali Zadari, asking for such evidence and offering to give it to the appropriate authorities.

Benazir Bhutto had a combination of unique qualities: movie-star charisma, intellect honed by a Radcliffe and Oxford education, and political savvy inherited from her father and developed by her own experience as prime minister. She had the potential to unify Pakistan, provide assurances that its nuclear weapons were secure, lead the search to find Osama bin Laden, and flush out al-Qaeda on the Pakistan-Afghan border. Beyond becoming a historic martyr, her assassination is a great loss for democracy, Pakistan and the world. It is further evidence that terrorism, suicide bombings and assassinations have virtually replaced elections as the agent for political change in much of the world. The United Nations should respond by implementing the recommendations of the Wiesenthal Institute to make assassination a crime against humanity and to establish the standing commission to do our best to bring assassins to justice.

Edited by William Kelly

Arlen Specter

is the senior senator

from Pennsylvania

Benazir Bhutto's assassination was an extraordinary shock to me because Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D., R.I.) and I were scheduled to meet with her three hours later in Islamabad. It took my thoughts to JFK's assassination, my previous meetings with her when she was prime minister, and the devastating loss to Pakistan of a vibrant leader who had the potential to unify and stabilize the tottering nation.

From my work on the Warren Commission staff, I was immediately troubled by the failure of the local authorities to secure the crime scene. Then, reminiscent of the JFK investigation, I heard there was to be no autopsy for Bhutto. To compound matters, her attending doctors reported they were directed by the government not to talk to the news media. It was obvious that a failed investigation would inspire conspiracy theories about President Pervez Musharraf's involvement and further complicate the planned elections.

Before returning to the United States, on Jan. 2, I wrote to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urging a United Nations investigation. Hearing nothing, I wrote again 15 days later renewing the request and adding the proposal that the United Nations establish a standing commission to investigate political assassinations. Such a commission would be in a position to act immediately when the next assassination occurs. Speed is essential for a successful investigation to move quickly to preserve evidence and question witnesses while their memories are fresh and before tampering occurs.

Musharraf acknowledged the need for outside help by requesting assistance from Scotland Yard. That was insufficient because Pakistan was to retain control and precious time had already been lost. Procedures could be established to protect national sovereignty with exclusions for countries with the technical expertise and the requisite objectivity for public confidence.

Statements by Bhutto's party colleague, Sen. Sarfraz Khan Lashari, suggest one motive for the assassination. Lashari said Bhutto was planning to turn over evidence to Kennedy and me on vote fraud. I've since written to Lashari and Bhutto's husband, Asif Ali Zadari, asking for such evidence and offering to give it to the appropriate authorities.

Benazir Bhutto had a combination of unique qualities: movie-star charisma, intellect honed by a Radcliffe and Oxford education, and political savvy inherited from her father and developed by her own experience as prime minister. She had the potential to unify Pakistan, provide assurances that its nuclear weapons were secure, lead the search to find Osama bin Laden, and flush out al-Qaeda on the Pakistan-Afghan border. Beyond becoming a historic martyr, her assassination is a great loss for democracy, Pakistan and the world. It is further evidence that terrorism, suicide bombings and assassinations have virtually replaced elections as the agent for political change in much of the world. The United Nations should respond by implementing the recommendations of the Wiesenthal Institute to make assassination a crime against humanity and to establish the standing commission to do our best to bring assassins to justice.

Thanks for posting this, Bill. As good as this may be (should it actually eventuate), it appears to be confined to looking into any future assassinations, and to specifically exclude the US from such outside scrutiny. Still, it would help in applying pressure to the next prez... whoever she may be...

There is a precedent for Scotland Yard being called in: Bogota Ripples

Specter thinks of himself as a crusader for truth and justice. He actually entitled his memoirs Passion for Truth. It is my fervent hope that one day, before he takes his impending dirt nap, he'll share his passion by telling us what really went on with the Warren Commission. In part 2 of my video series, I show how he placed exhibits into evidence, and took testimony, that he knew to be untrue. It's time to come clean, Arlen.

Edited by Pat Speer

Specter and Rodham-Clinton want to investigate assassinations -- desires which they announce within a week of each other.

A Kennedy is with Specter awaiting Bhutto's arrival for dinner -- one of the three Kennedys who were on stage with Obama during THE family's endorsement ritual.

THE only Kennedy to have identified publicly a candidate for sponsor of the JFK murder.

We are chin-deep in the game again.

Another bad idea from Specter.

May I suggest the disbanded Oil for Food Committee?

And Charles, I don't understand all of the associations that you made re (presumably) Patrick Kennedy's being "THE only Kennedy to have identified publicly a candidate for sponsor of the JFK murder."

What does that mean?

For a view into his character, check him out on youtube where he states (quite honestly, I have no doubt) that he hasn't "worked a f***ing day" in his life.

I think that it was he to whom JFK,Jr. referred when he lamented that some of his cousins acted like "poster boys for bad behaviour" or words to that effect.

Back to the point, though, I want to know who killed Bhutto and I suspect a conspiracy of some sort (probably by Musharef (sp?)), but the UN would be one of the last sources I would trust to perform a reliable investigation.

I simply don't see us ever finding out what happened with respect to her murder.

Am I the only one who is kind of reminded of Obama and the crowds he draws when I think of her most recent campaign?

And Charles, I don't understand all of the associations that you made re (presumably) Patrick Kennedy's being "THE only Kennedy to have identified publicly a candidate for sponsor of the JFK murder."

What does that mean?

A few years ago, Patrick Kennedy, in an interview published in the Providence Journal, opined that Fidel Castro was responsible for the death of JFK.

What does that mean?

A few years ago, Patrick Kennedy, in an interview published in the Providence Journal, opined that Fidel Castro was responsible for the death of JFK.

Thanks.

I would be interested in hearing the view of some of the rest of the clan (or at least the ones who would publicly comment) as to the assassination.

If a family member of mine was struck down so publicly and audaciously, I would want to learn as much about it as possible, which is probably the case with many Kennedy family members.

The same applies to the RFK assassination, of course.

Edited by Christopher Hall

Arlen Specter

is the senior senator

from Pennsylvania

Interesting. From the 'horses mouth' - or the other end of the horse. He should know...too bad he wanted 'it' (truth) kept from the American People on JFK....guess he is feeling a little guilty..or maybe more than a little....

"Guilty?" The irony here is sickening. He is evil incarnate and is rubbing our noses in it. He is an accessory after the fact and will never come clean. The only kind of commission he is interested in is spelled "cover-up."

Dawn

Another bad idea from Specter.

May I suggest the disbanded Oil for Food Committee?

What does that mean?

For a view into his character, check him out on youtube where he states (quite honestly, I have no doubt) that he hasn't "worked a f***ing day" in his life.

I think that it was he to whom JFK,Jr. referred when he lamented that some of his cousins acted like "poster boys for bad behaviour" or words to that effect.

Back to the point, though, I want to know who killed Bhutto and I suspect a conspiracy of some sort (probably by Musharef (sp?)), but the UN would be one of the last sources I would trust to perform a reliable investigation.

I simply don't see us ever finding out what happened with respect to her murder.

Am I the only one who is kind of reminded of Obama and the crowds he draws when I think of her most recent campaign?

Patrick's actually a good kid.

And I don't believe he thinks Castro did it, even if he did say that to his constituents.

As for Spector's idea, I agree with Chis, it's not a good one.

To pharaphrase former special prosecutor Richard Sprague, the UN is not the place to investigate a homicide.

BK

In re Patrick Kennedy's comment: It isn't so much what he said, but rather the he opined at all on this subject.

PK is my congressman. I watched his career since he served in the RI General Assembly. There's both more and less than meets the eye with this guy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.maryferrell.org/wiki/index.php/..._Benazir_Bhutto

"The JFK Assassination of Pakastan."

None other than Arlen Specter, former Warren Commission staff member and inventor of the "single bullet theory," has called for an international investigation into Benazir Bhutto's murder.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/assassinationsnewsarticles

He is evil incarnate

Anagram for Arlen Specter: Clear Serpent.