The Education Forum

Barack Obama or John McCain

John Simkin

You can see the convention speeches by Michelle Obama and Edward Kennedy here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7581473.stm

In the 2004 convention the Democrats made te decision not to make attacks on George Bush's integrity because he was a "wartime president". The Democrats paid the price for that decision.

Surveys show that voters do not like negative campaigning. However, they always seem to respond to it. Republicans know that. That is why they always run smear campaigns against Democratic candidates. Would Al Gore and John Kerry have won if they played dirty?

Michael Tomasky recently wrote: "It would be nice if presidential campaigns were about who has the better healthcare policy, but they aren't. They usually end up being about which side has launched the more effective attacks." Tomasky goes on to say: "This convention needs to establish a clear negative narrative about McCain. I've bee saying this since May but I'll keep saying it until it happens. The Obama team simply must find effective ways to attack McCain; not his positions but his character."

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Hillary Clinton yesterday: "Whether you voted for me or voted for Barack, the time is now to unite as a single party with a single purpose... We are on the same team, and none of us can sit on the sidelines. The party could not afford to see another Republican in the White House squander the promise of our country and the hopes of our people."

Mrs Clinton talked of the reasons why she fought to win the nomination - including creating a universal and affordable health care system, fighting for an America defined by equality, and restoring the US's standing in the world.

"Those are the reasons I ran for president. Those are the reasons I support Barack Obama. And those are the reasons you should too".

Will this be enough to persuade her supporters to vote for Obama?

I am amazed that so-called feminists are going to vote for McCain. I would have thought his election would result in another four years of appointing Supreme Court judges hostile to equal rights.

Guest Stephen Turner
Mrs Clinton talked of the reasons why she fought to win the nomination - including creating a universal and affordable health care system, fighting for an America defined by equality, and restoring the US's standing in the world.

"Those are the reasons I ran for president. Those are the reasons I support Barack Obama. And those are the reasons you should too".

And after eght years of her Husbands Presidency those things were no closer than the day he took office. politico speak, just like carrolls chesire cat, "and soon, all that could be seen was its grin"

It almost looks as if Obama is purposefully throwing the election. Joe Biden? What a horrible choice for VP! I only could stand a bit of it, but Biden's speech at the convention tonight could have been written by McCainiac. He was basically trying to incite the crowd against Russia. Is that the Democrats' answer to the disaster in Iraq; proposing war with Russia?

I can't understand why Americans are willing to settle for these kinds of puerile, cookie-cutter candidates. After eight years of unmitigated disaster under Bush, the Democrats should have been able to nominate just about anyone who could win the next election. But then, a real opposition party would be constantly stressing the monstrous failures of the Bush administration; the pointless, immoral occupation of Iraq, the worst economy in 75 years, the absolute refusal to address critical issues like alternative energy, Social Security, etc. Instead, we hear the same tired old rhetoric as always- "change we can believe in." Well, we certainly need a whole lot of change here, but something tells me this guy isn't going to propose much that will make things better.

So that's our choice; a certified lunatic in McCain, who is possibly the only politician in America that might actually be worse than Bush, or an empty suit who seems far too willing to compromise and would probably be pushed constantly to show how "tough" he is (in other words, continue the same kind of evil, global policeman-type of foreign intervention everywhere).

Maybe someday the American people will actually demand some other choices. As usual, we have some better alternatives in smaller parties (Libertarian, Green, and a few others), but the media ignores these candidates even when they are relatively well-known. This year, the Libertarians nominated Bob Barr, who served several terms in Congress as a Republican and is not, to my knowledge, much of a real Libertarian. Ralph Nader is running again, but is keeping an extremely low profile, and will not be allowed in any debates regardless. Only Republicrats are permitted to "debate" the issues. Okay, end of rant.

According to Hillary Clinton yesterday: "Whether you voted for me or voted for Barack, the time is now to unite as a single party with a single purpose... We are on the same team, and none of us can sit on the sidelines. The party could not afford to see another Republican in the White House squander the promise of our country and the hopes of our people."

Will this be enough to persuade her supporters to vote for Obama?

I am amazed that so-called feminists are going to vote for McCain. I would have thought his election would result in another four years of appointing Supreme Court judges hostile to equal rights.

of course her supporters will stand behind Obama, the party is united, always has been. Only the media profits from disunity or rumors thereof.... presently McCain rates as one of the biggest flip-floppers in the history of US politics (as demonstrated by the John Kerry speech, last night)....

Let the media hype Clinton supporters indecision (5%) to cover up McCain's GOP flip-flopping.... ho-hum! John McCain needs ( the GOP and theneo-cons know) to put his best foot forward NOW, before ANY presidential debate with Obama.

It almost looks as if Obama is purposefully throwing the election. Joe Biden? What a horrible choice for VP! I only could stand a bit of it, but Biden's speech at the convention tonight could have been written by McCainiac. He was basically trying to incite the crowd against Russia. Is that the Democrats' answer to the disaster in Iraq; proposing war with Russia?

I can't understand why Americans are willing to settle for these kinds of puerile, cookie-cutter candidates. After eight years of unmitigated disaster under Bush, the Democrats should have been able to nominate just about anyone who could win the next election. But then, a real opposition party would be constantly stressing the monstrous failures of the Bush administration; the pointless, immoral occupation of Iraq, the worst economy in 75 years, the absolute refusal to address critical issues like alternative energy, Social Security, etc. Instead, we hear the same tired old rhetoric as always- "change we can believe in." Well, we certainly need a whole lot of change here, but something tells me this guy isn't going to propose much that will make things better.

So that's our choice; a certified lunatic in McCain, who is possibly the only politician in America that might actually be worse than Bush, or an empty suit who seems far too willing to compromise and would probably be pushed constantly to show how "tough" he is (in other words, continue the same kind of evil, global policeman-type of foreign intervention everywhere).

Maybe someday the American people will actually demand some other choices. As usual, we have some better alternatives in smaller parties (Libertarian, Green, and a few others), but the media ignores these candidates even when they are relatively well-known. This year, the Libertarians nominated Bob Barr, who served several terms in Congress as a Republican and is not, to my knowledge, much of a real Libertarian. Ralph Nader is running again, but is keeping an extremely low profile, and will not be allowed in any debates regardless. Only Republicrats are permitted to "debate" the issues. Okay, end of rant.

Surely Obama will be better than Bush. At least he understands what he is saying. I was also disturbed by Biden's speech on Russia but it was directed at those people who do not understand foreign affairs. No US president is going to go to war over countries in Eastern Europe. That is what Britain did in 1939. They won't make that mistake again.

I am more concerned with Iraq and Afghanistan. We know he plans to pull out of Iraq but what about Afghanistan? That is another war that cannot be won.

It is generally believed that it is domestic rather than foreign issues that determine elections. As Clinton said in 1992, “it’s the economy, stupid”.

What did you make of Obama’s speech tonight? Did he provide enough detail?

I am more concerned with Iraq and Afghanistan. We know he plans to pull out of Iraq but what about Afghanistan? That is another war that cannot be won.

No public figure in the US has admitted that the invasion of Afghanistan was a colossal mistake. In the aftermath of 9/11 the Taliban government offered to hand over Bin Laden PROVIDED he was tried under Muslim law. It was a kind of re-run of the Japanese surrender after WW2, where Truman decided to nuke Japan rather than accept a Japanese surrender with conditions attached. After Nagasaki and Hiroshima were turned into a nuclear wasteland Japan surrendered WITHOUT conditions, but the US then granted the Japanese the conditions they had originally requested- namely the retention of their Emperor -- so the nuking of two cities turned out to be unnecessary.

There was no discussion of the Taliban offer to hand over Bin Laden, as it was considered unthinkable that the US should agree to a trial under Muslim law. Instead the US resorted to bombing and invading Afghanistan, and Bin Laden slipped away. The Afghan invasion SEEMED to be a success, and emboldened Bush to invade Iraq. Of course Muslim Law worked fine when it came to the trial of Saddam Hussein, but by then everyone had forgotten the small detail of the Taliban's offer that would have avoided a US invasion of Afghanistan.

It would probably be political suicide for ANYONE to second-guess the invasion of Afghanistan, no matter how dumb that invasion has turned out to be, and Barack's plan seems to be to hope that Bin Laden can be killed or captured quickly, allowing the US to claim victory and plan withdrawal. It is not much of a plan, but no one has a better one.

If we are lucky, the mess left by George Bush will be cleaned up (or swept under the carpet) in about 50 years, which is about the same time-frame for cleaning up the Vietnam mess left by Lyndon Johnson.

I didn't watch much of the convention, and saw none of Obama's speech. However, a guy I work with had seen Obama in person a few months back at a local high school, and he was shocked that his acceptance speech was mostly, word for word, the one he delivered at the high school. I thought those speeches were supposed to be special....

As for Afghanistan, Obama has talked tough on that situation before, even when he was a more overt anti-Iraq war candidate. Combined with Bill Clinton's "tough" references to Bin Laden and terrorists in general in his convention speech, I think we can safely predict that Obama/Biden will not take the Republicans to task for their foreign policy blunders. Unfortunately, they will probably continue the status quo in this perpetual "war" on terror, as our fearless leaders attempt to foist our concept of "freedom" on people who quite rightfully resent our interference in their countries.

I agree that, no matter what, it would be very hard for Obama not to be better than Bush.

What impact do you think McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as Republican vice-presidential nominee? It seems it is an attempt to win over those Democratic women voters who were disappointed by the defeat of Clinton by Obama. However, she is a very different woman candidate being a fiscal and social conservative who opposes abortion. (I suppose it will cnvince Tim Gratz to vote for McCain) It is probably significant that her husband Todd works in the oil industry in Alaska.

You could call it the strangest vice-president decision since George Bush Sr, selected Dan Quayle in 1988.

Palin is also under investigation in Alaska by state lawmakers. She sacked a public safety commissioner and the allegation is that she removed him because he had not fired a state trooper who is Mrs Palin's former brother-in-law, and who is in a custody battle with her sister.

What impact do you think McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as Republican vice-presidential nominee? It seems it is an attempt to win over those Democratic women voters who were disappointed by the defeat of Clinton by Obama. However, she is a very different woman candidate being a fiscal and social conservative who opposes abortion. (I suppose it will cnvince Tim Gratz to vote for McCain) It is probably significant that her husband Todd works in the oil industry in Alaska.

You could call it the strangest vice-president decision since George Bush Sr, selected Dan Quayle in 1988.

Palin is also under investigation in Alaska by state lawmakers. She sacked a public safety commissioner and the allegation is that she removed him because he had not fired a state trooper who is Mrs Palin's former brother-in-law, and who is in a custody battle with her sister.

Gezze,

I have a bottle of Kelly's wine to anyone's case of lager that Palin isn't on the ballot in November.

If John Simkin knows that much about her former brother-in-law's shennagans, there's certainly more to come; and she's only been in politics for three years, then she hasn't been properly vetted, or maybe she has and Carl Rove is throwing her to the wolves like a trial balloon to see if she flys.

Just like Bush nominating his personal attorney to the Supreme Court, it was almost a joke, even though he wasn't kidding.

This time they're kidding, right?

Remember Eagleton?

Let the vetting begin.

BK

Gezze,

I have a bottle of Kelly's wine to anyone's case of lager that Palin isn't on the ballot in November.

If John Simkin knows that much about her former brother-in-law's shennagans, there's certainly more to come; and she's only been in politics for three years, then she hasn't been properly vetted, or maybe she has and Carl Rove is throwing her to the wolves like a trial balloon to see if she flys.

Just like Bush nominating his personal attorney to the Supreme Court, it was almost a joke, even though he wasn't kidding.

Remember Eagleton?

Let the vetting begin.

BK

you may be right Bill.... rumor has it, Romney is livid, as is Joe Libermann! While John McCain is concerned about the Hilary's 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, the floor is crumbling beneath them. He does have a thing for beauty queens though....

The GOP has more than enough problems going into their convention, shooting themselves in the foot at this juncture is a mark of desperation and a failed campaign

Gezze,

Remember Eagleton?

Let the vetting begin.

BK

you may be right Bill.... rumor has it, Romney is livid, as is Joe Libermann! While John McCain is concerned about the Hilary's 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, the floor is crumbling beneath them. He does have a thing for beauty queens though....

The GOP has more than enough problems going into their convention, shooting themselves in the foot at this juncture is a mark of desperation and a failed campaign

McCain looks like a tired old man. The comment "only a heart-beat away" has special meaning in this case.

Other points about Palin is that she is opposed to environmental restrictions on drilling in Alaska (her husband works for BP), supports the death-penalty and the teaching of creationism in schools. She is also against restrictions placed on gun-owners.

Palin not only opposes abortion but refused to have one just over a year ago when it was discovered that she was pregnant with a Down's syndrome child. One of her son's is just about to be deployed to Iraq. She is the darling of the far right.

McCain in clearly appealing to the Religious Right and to those men like himself who have a thing about beauty queens. If McCain is elected, I would feel very vulnerable to an assassination attempt from a communist patsy. This is the only way they could get such an extremist right-winger in the White House.

Gezze,

Remember Eagleton?

Let the vetting begin.

BK

McCain looks like a tired old man. The comment "only a heart-beat away" has special meaning in this case.

Other points about Palin is that she is opposed to environmental restrictions on drilling in Alaska (her husband works for BP), supports the death-penalty and the teaching of creationism in schools. She is also against restrictions placed on gun-owners.

Palin not only opposes abortion but refused to have one just over a year ago when it was discovered that she was pregnant with a Down's syndrome child. One of her son's is just about to be deployed to Iraq. She is the darling of the far right.

McCain in clearly appealing to the Religious Right and to those men like himself who have a thing about beauty queens. If McCain is elected, I would feel very vulnerable to an assassination attempt from a communist patsy. This is the only way they could get such an extremist right-winger in the White House.

Obama's acceptance speech Thursday evening garnered 38 million US viewers. McCain is desperate. His announcement of Palin as his choice for Veep, Friday was quite successful. Successful as in; getting Obama of the front pages, quickly. Palin is gonna fall on her sword for the GOP (Grand Old Party -- the Republicans) this time around, but it will cost the GOP later. Palin will be back when the GOP finishes its newly found makeover. 4-8 years down the road. Ms. Palin has Ms. Hillary Clinton to thank for her stardom...

Hi,

It appears to me that McCain had limited options in respect of choosing a VP and considering he was pretty much running ‘neck and neck’ with Obama on his own steam, he figured this was a good way to reduce the so called ‘bounce’ that was inevitable from the Democratic convention.

Personally no matter what develops over the next few weeks, it should at least theoretically give some of the disgruntled ‘Hillary voters’ some ‘food for thought’ before they just sign up on the Obama/Biden ticket. With limited options regarding his VP pick and knowing that the media would help ‘plug’ the inevitable Dem ‘bounce’ I think it is – at least initially – a smart move in respect of doing the best you can with what is available (putting your finger in the dam until help arrives?)

Now of course that is the way I view it, but to be honest, I do not think McCain can win in November. However, he has managed to thus far cling to the coat tails of Obama in the polls and whilst he is doing that he will always have a chance.

I remember when ‘New Labour’ beat the conservatives in the UK, they did not just beat them but they trounced them and this completely changed the momentum from the conservatives being the previously (generally perceived) dominant party in favour of the Labour party – the effect of which the conservatives have still not fully recovered. So it is quite possible that whatever McCain’s plans are, from the point of view of the GOP this may be something they wish to avoid at all costs (a trouncing that is) and hence the pick.

Having said that, what do I know...

Steve

Edit: added 'do' to the line ' what do I know'.

Edited by Steve Mcdonagh

Gezze,

Remember Eagleton?

Let the vetting begin.

BK

Obama's acceptance speech Thursday evening garnered 38 million US viewers. McCain is desperate. His announcement of Palin as his choice for Veep, Friday was quite successful. Successful as in; getting Obama of the front pages, quickly. Palin is gonna fall on her sword for the GOP (Grand Old Party -- the Republicans) this time around, but it will cost the GOP later. Palin will be back when the GOP finishes its newly found makeover. 4-8 years down the road. Ms. Palin has Ms. Hillary Clinton to thank for her stardom...

...and photos like this.

Jack