The Education Forum

Barack Obama or John McCain

John Simkin

I have just been listening to Samantha Power, Barack Obama's foreign policy advisor, being interviewed on the BBC. She was very impressive. He will not go far wrong if he gives her a senior post in his government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Power

http://www.blogger.com/profile/05314504138452855865

This may affect her chances: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...-foreign-p.html

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray, thank you for your perceptive analysis. I hope you are right. In Europe we are desperate for a Barack Obama victory. As the author Martin Amiss said recently, it will allow Europeans to start loving America again.

With the exchange rate all the Brits and Germans here are loving us already! They're buying up property and living the high life on the beaches.

While I will be voting for McCain for economic reasons, there is a little part of me that would not mind seeing a Barack victory. The chance of something so historic is tantalizing.

A Billary victory on the other hand... :D

While I will be voting for McCain for economic reasons, there is a little part of me that would not mind seeing a Barack victory. The chance of something so historic is tantalizing.

A Billary victory on the other hand... :D

Newsweek analyses Hillary's math problem:

Clinton's only hope lies in the popular vote—a yardstick on which she now trails Obama by about 600,000 votes. Should she end the primary season in June with a lead in popular votes, she could get a hearing from uncommitted superdelegates for all the other arguments that she would make a stronger nominee (wins the big states, etc.). If she loses both the pledged delegate count and the popular vote, no argument will cause the superdelegates to disenfranchise millions of Democratic voters. It will be over.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/119010

Hillary Clinton reminds me a lot of Margaret Thatcher. It is that nagging tone that I find difficult to take.

Now that's what Smantha Power SHOULD have said to the Scotsman reporter (off the record, of course).

POWER IS THE NAME

AND

POWER IS THE GAME

I first heard of the lovely Samantha on this thread, and the more I see and hear the more I agree with John Simkin.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/about/faculty-s.../samantha-power

THis lady is a priceless asset to Obama, and this is the first big test of Obama's character. At this writing there has been no announcement that Barak has accepted her resignation, though right now media talking heads are taking that as a given.

Nancy Pelosi speaks:

Obama's supporters have also been rankled by comments by Clinton's spokesman, Howard Wolfson, who suggesed that Obama's campaign was "imitating Ken Starr," the independent prosecutor who investigated the Clintons in the 1990s.

Pelosi was asked about those comments and whether the intensifying rhetoric could end up helping Republican John McCain win in November. The San Francisco Democrat noted that the remarks were from Obama and Clinton advocates, not from the candidates themselves.

"Sometimes in the course of campaigns our supporters get more enthusiastic than the traffic should bear," she said.

It is clear tonight that Pelosi and everyone in the country is treating the "Ken Starr" and "Monster" comments as being on an EVEN PAR.

That is a clear message to Obama that if he is ever to be taken seriously as a President-in-Waiting then he must STAND UP FOR HIS PEOPLE. He must announce that he will ACCEPT the resignation of Power ONLY IF Hillary accepts the resignation of her compaign manager, the guy who compared Obama to that MONSTER, Ken Starr.

Will Obama prove himself a PROFILE IN COURAGE and defend his loyal POWER?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...7/BADGVG0PL.DTL

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

While researching a story on the Democratic Leadership Council for the internet magazine Black Commentator in April and May of 2003, I ran across the DLC's “100 to Watch” list for 2003, in which Barack Obama was prominently featured as one of the DLC's favorite “rising stars”. This was ominous news because the DLC was and still is the right wing's Trojan Horse inside the Democratic party.

I see no evidence that Obama is linked to the DLC Mike, and this excerpt offers no evidence.

It merely implies.

While researching a story on the Democratic Leadership Council for the internet magazine Black Commentator in April and May of 2003, I ran across the DLC's “100 to Watch” list for 2003, in which Barack Obama was prominently featured as one of the DLC's favorite “rising stars”. This was ominous news because the DLC was and still is the right wing's Trojan Horse inside the Democratic party.

I see no evidence that Obama is linked to the DLC Mike, and this excerpt offers no evidence.

It merely implies.

The main relevant link is the CFR.

Jack

It merely implies.

The main relevant link is the CFR.

Jack

Thanks Jack.

In American Politics, "nice" guys finish last.

But with the stakes of the nominating battle high, some of Mr. Obama’s supporters worry that his campaign has not found a way to deal strongly with criticism from Mrs. Clinton. On Thursday, her senior advisers accused Mr. Obama of acting like the former prosecutor Kenneth W. Starr for raising questions about releasing papers from her time in the White House.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/08/us/polit...GUbCD5mEiqQxzgw

How does Obama respond to being compared to Ken Starr, whose abuses of power nauseated every Democrat in America? Instead of seizing this weapon and using it to beat Hilary into submission, first he fires Samantha Power for saying that Hilary is using dirty tactics, then he "rejects and denounces" the sane and sensible comments that Power made about withdrawing from Iraq, then

At a rally Friday evening in Laramie, Wyo., he hailed Mrs. Clinton as “a fine public servant.”

New polls released today show that Hillary is regaining her lead nationwide.

Obama is beginning to look and sound like an empty suit who doesn't have the stomach for a real American political campaign and who doesn't have the guts to stand up for his own people. The superdelegates are not looking for a "leader " who shows no backbone.

Obama looks like he is about to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

He is beginning to look and sound like a wimp.

In American Politics, "nice" guys finish last.
But with the stakes of the nominating battle high, some of Mr. Obama’s supporters worry that his campaign has not found a way to deal strongly with criticism from Mrs. Clinton. On Thursday, her senior advisers accused Mr. Obama of acting like the former prosecutor Kenneth W. Starr for raising questions about releasing papers from her time in the White House.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/08/us/polit...GUbCD5mEiqQxzgw

How does Obama respond to being compared to Ken Starr, whose abuses of power nauseated every Democrat in America? Instead of seizing this weapon and using it to beat Hilary into submission, first he fires Samantha Power for saying that Hilary is using dirty tactics, then he "rejects and denounces" the sane and sensible comments that Power made about withdrawing from Iraq, then

At a rally Friday evening in Laramie, Wyo., he hailed Mrs. Clinton as “a fine public servant.”

New polls released today show that Hillary is regaining her lead nationwide.

Obama is beginning to look and sound like an empty suit who doesn't have the stomach for a real American political campaign and who doesn't have the guts to stand up for his own people. The superdelegates are not looking for a "leader " who shows no backbone.

Obama looks like he is about to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

He is beginning to look and sound like a wimp.

That seems very hard. He is clearly trying to do "politics" in a new way. I am sure in the long-term he will not suffer from this approach. Hilliary will be seen as a hypocrite and the Democrat leadership will see that he is a candidate who is trying to unite the party. There will be no problem bringing back Samantha Power later.