The Education Forum

Barack Obama or John McCain

John Simkin

What an amazing speech. This is indeed the new politics. I only wish we had politicians in the UK making speeches as good as this. As he says, the easy thing would have been to disown Wright. Instead, he explains him. Or in the words of William Faulkner: “The past isn’t dead and buried. In fact, it isn’t even past.”

Obama is as two faced as they come. New politics? Please. Obama was among the first to call for the firing of Imus not too long ago for a racial joke, yet his hate filled pastor (not to mention wife) gets a pass. No he is all old politics. He has been telling lies about Wright for days and now he says whatever he needs to say to cover his butt. Nothing new here at all.

Edited by Craig Lamson

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama was among the first to call for the firing of Imus not too long ago for a racial joke

Imus used the public airways to refer to members of a womens college basketball team as nappy-headed whores. The ladies in question, all elite athletes, were black, as every one of Imus's listeners knew. This was hate-speech licensed by the state, a situation many felt was no longer tolerable. No one was worried that Imus would starve, since he has become a multimillionaire feeding pablum to the masses.

yet his hate filled pastor (not to mention wife) gets a pass. No he is all old politics. He has been telling lies about Wright for days and now he says whatever he needs to say to cover his butt. Nothing new here at all.

Don't be so harsh on the prophet Jeremiah. His speeches are full of fire and brimstone, I will grant you, but they are not broadcast on the public airways (except by Obama's enemies) and besides, nearly everything he says is either demonstrably true or arguably true.

Obama was among the first to call for the firing of Imus not too long ago for a racial joke

Imus used the public airways to refer to members of a womens college basketball team as nappy-headed whores. The ladies in question, all elite athletes, were black, as every one of Imus's listeners knew. This was hate-speech licensed by the state, a situation many felt was no longer tolerable. No one was worried that Imus would starve, since he has become a multimillionaire feeding pablum to the masses.

And this somehow excuses Obama'- two faced stance?

yet his hate filled pastor (not to mention wife) gets a pass. No he is all old politics. He has been telling lies about Wright for days and now he says whatever he needs to say to cover his butt. Nothing new here at all.

Don't be so harsh on the prophet Jeremiah. His speeches are full of fire and brimstone, I will grant you, but they are not broadcast on the public airways (except by Obama's enemies) and besides, nearly everything he says is either demonstrably true or arguably true.

Oh please..how does the kool-aid taste? His speeches were full of hateful and racist remarks and they were available to the public on dvd from the church for a fee. If his words had been uttered by a white pastor and aimed at blacks heads would roll as your own double standards voiced above show

Obama is just your garden variety politican. His judgement is now in serious question. Either he believes the rasist remarks, or he does not believe then and is so weak he can't even confront the pastor or leave the church, or he was a member only to build his resume. None speak well of the empty suit.

The kool-aid drinkers found the speach wonderful, the rest...well time will tell.

His speeches were full of hateful and racist remarks

It seems to me that the Prophet Jeremiah is often on the money in his comments.

I heard him thunder that "we bombed Nagasaki, we bombed Hiroshima, and didn't give a damn" and this was broadcast repeatedly on cable television as an example of a hateful and racist remark.

I heard him thunder that "we bombed Nagasaki, we bombed Hiroshima, and didn't give a damn" and this was broadcast repeatedly on cable television as an example of a hateful and racist remark.

We didn't give a damn? I've heard it all now. Nothing like a little "hate America" to get the butts in the pews all fired up on Sunday. God Damn America, usKKKa!

What an amazing speech. This is indeed the new politics. I only wish we had politicians in the UK making speeches as good as this. As he says, the easy thing would have been to disown Wright. Instead, he explains him. Or in the words of William Faulkner: “The past isn’t dead and buried. In fact, it isn’t even past.”

Speaking of the past, Obama is now being compared to Lincoln (who also upset some of the people).

Chris Matthews is calling it one of the great speeches in American history, required reading for every American student,

like Huckleberry Finn and The Great Gatsby, and the Gettysburg address (and history will record that the full text of the speech was available on this forum BEFORE BARACK HAD FINISHED SPEAKING).

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=64634

P. S. Whatever anyone may think about the Prophet Jeremiah, his views are of very marginal interest, since he is not running for public office and American philosophy, just like ancient Greek philosophy, rejects the fallacy of guilt by association.

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Guest David Guyatt
In a sermon delivered at Howard University, Barack Obama's longtime minister, friend and adviser blamed America for starting the AIDS virus, training professional killers, importing drugs and creating a racist society that would never elect a black candidate president.

I can see how Obama needs to politically disassociate himself from these statements.

It used to be the case that honesty was praised but went starving (to mangle the old Latin proverb - Probitas laudatur, et alget), but today it just goes starving.

In a sermon delivered at Howard University, Barack Obama's longtime minister, friend and adviser blamed America for starting the AIDS virus, training professional killers, importing drugs and creating a racist society that would never elect a black candidate president.

I can see how Obama needs to politically disassociate himself from these statements.

It used to be the case that honesty was praised but went starving (to mangle the old Latin proverb - Probitas laudatur, et alget), but today it just goes starving.

Let me pour you yet another cup of kool-aid David. Do you prefer orange or grape? Obama's "I have an Excuse" speech was wonderful, don't you think?

Obama's "I have an Excuse" speech was wonderful, don't you think?

The New York TImes gives a cross-section of responses from the blogosphere:

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/200...said/index.html

I was particularly struck by the comments of Andrew Sullivan, a prominent Republican commentator:

I have never felt more convinced that this man's candidacy - not this man, his candidacy - and what he can bring us to achieve - is an historic opportunity. This was a testing; and he did not merely pass it by uttering safe bromides. He addressed the intimate, painful love he has for an imperfect and sometimes embittered man. And how that love enables him to see that man's faults and pain as well as his promise. This is what my faith is about. It is what the Gospels are about. This is a candidate who does not merely speak as a Christian. He acts like a Christian.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrat Barack Obama's big national lead over Hillary Clinton has all but evaporated in the U.S. presidential race, and both Democrats trail Republican John McCain, according a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

It looks like Hillary's plan is working:

The poll showed Arizona Sen. McCain, who has clinched the Republican presidential nomination, is benefiting from the lengthy campaign battle between Obama and Clinton, who are now battling to win Pennsylvania on April 22.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNew...=22&sp=true

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Obama's "I have an Excuse" speech was wonderful, don't you think?

The New York TImes gives a cross-section of responses from the blogosphere:

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/200...said/index.html

I was particularly struck by the comments of Andrew Sullivan, a prominent Republican commentator:

I have never felt more convinced that this man's candidacy - not this man, his candidacy - and what he can bring us to achieve - is an historic opportunity. This was a testing; and he did not merely pass it by uttering safe bromides. He addressed the intimate, painful love he has for an imperfect and sometimes embittered man. And how that love enables him to see that man's faults and pain as well as his promise. This is what my faith is about. It is what the Gospels are about. This is a candidate who does not merely speak as a Christian. He acts like a Christian.

Sullivan a Republican? You have jumped the shark.....

So lets see BHO spend 20 years l hearing about the wonders of victimhood, hate america and whitey is the enemy, brings his wife and children up in this environment and this is called "imperfect"? I gotta hand it to the lefies of the world...you can look past ANYTHING if it fits your agenda. We have a major racist as the mentor of a potential president and its all right with the world BECAUSE he is a liberal. Simply stunning stuff.

He remains a senior editor at The New Republic, and his book "The Conservative Soul" was published by HarperCollins in 2006.

Sullivan's Bio is here:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...y_dish/bio.html

I suspect that Sullivan's enthusiasm for Republican causes is taking a hit, now that John McCain has revealed that he he has no idea which end is up in Iraq.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle3582503.ece

And that the government brings in the drugs, to the ghetto, and as as result our black prison population is huge.

This is 100% true. It started with Viet Nam and Heroin (in fact I believe ALfred McCoy is even a forum memeber).

Gary Webb brought this- (cocaine and the government)- to the mainstream. His passion, bravery and truth telling ended his brilliant carreer and untimately his life. My husband and law- partener Erick Bovik- (also a forum member) have been telling our black clients, well all clients who are charged with crimes based on cocaine, to simple google "CIA and cocaine" and read. Then pass it on to the brothers and sisters in the 'hood. (We have been doing this since there was a 'net).

Arguaby this pastor should have been preaching the gospel. But for me it's all tied together: The truth is the truth is the truth.

And I am sure there are many sermons devoted to the Bible, but the media, the hate mogers, have cherry picked some sound bites.

I too thought it was a great speech. BUT Rush promised yesterday that he will play these sound bites all throught the election.

(I have taken to listening to him in my car between courts in different counties because he is delusional and we must know what the enemy is up to. He calls himself "the man who runs America") .

Dawn

He remains a senior editor at The New Republic, and his book "The Conservative Soul" was published by HarperCollins in 2006.

Sullivan's Bio is here:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_...y_dish/bio.html

I suspect that Sullivan's enthusiasm for Republican causes is taking a hit, now that John McCain has revealed that he he has no idea which end is up in Iraq.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle3582503.ece

Thaks for proving my point. Sullivan is no "republican". The New Republic is as left wing as they come.

And that the government brings in the drugs, to the ghetto, and as as result our black prison population is huge.

This is 100% true. It started with Viet Nam and Heroin (in fact I believe ALfred McCoy is even a forum memeber).

Gary Webb brought this- (cocaine and the government)- to the mainstream. His passion, bravery and truth telling ended his brilliant carreer and untimately his life. My husband and law- partener Erick Bovik- (also a forum member) have been telling our black clients, well all clients who are charged with crimes based on cocaine, to simple google "CIA and cocaine" and read. Then pass it on to the brothers and sisters in the 'hood. (We have been doing this since there was a 'net).

Arguaby this pastor should have been preaching the gospel. But for me it's all tied together: The truth is the truth is the truth.

And I am sure there are many sermons devoted to the Bible, but the media, the hate mogers, have cherry picked some sound bites.

I too thought it was a great speech. BUT Rush promised yesterday that he will play these sound bites all throught the election.

(I have taken to listening to him in my car between courts in different counties because he is delusional and we must know what the enemy is up to. He calls himself "the man who runs America") .

Dawn

One more cup for Dawn.... We better lay in a bigger supply of paper cups.