The Education Forum

Bringuier and the DRE

While re- reading Carlos Bringuier's book "Red Friday" I noticed something I missed before.The publisher mentions in the Bio page, that Carlos was "appointed the New Orleans delagate of the Cuban Student Directorate" (pg xiv). Other than that, there is no further mention that this was a fact. Nowhere in the text does Carlos mention that he even had a connection to the DRE.

There is a curious absense of any reference to the DRE, let alone his appointment as delagate (in charge of propaganda).

It was a well known fact that Bringuier was, by his own admission in WC testimony and elsewhere, a DRE delagate.

The other curious thing is that the book was finished around the end of the Garrison investigation (1969), where the DRE had become a suspect. Was Carlos trying to aviod his connection for that reason? Yet, even at the time of Posner's book, he is denying to Posner that he was ever a member of the DRE. B)

Wonder why?

-Bill

While re- reading Carlos Bringuier's book "Red Friday" I noticed something I missed before.The publisher mentions in the Bio page, that Carlos was "appointed the New Orleans delagate of the Cuban Student Directorate" (pg xiv). Other than that, there is no further mention that this was a fact. Nowhere in the text does Carlos mention that he even had a connection to the DRE.

There is a curious absense of any reference to the DRE, let alone his appointment as delagate (in charge of propaganda).

It was a well known fact that Bringuier was, by his own admission in WC testimony and elsewhere, a DRE delagate.

The other curious thing is that the book was finished around the end of the Garrison investigation (1969), where the DRE had become a suspect. Was Carlos trying to aviod his connection for that reason? Yet, even at the time of Posner's book, he is denying to Posner that he was ever a member of the DRE. :hotorwot

Wonder why?

-Bill

Exactly, Bringuier's involvement is smelly to say the least. Hmmm. the propaganda officer of an organization funded by the CIA just so happens to have an altercation with a Castro supporter, and TV cameras just so happen to be there, and then the propaganda officer just so happens to debate this "Castro supporter" on the radio, where it just so happens to come out that this "Castro supporter" was a former marine who defected to Russia. This just so happens to discredit the organization he was supposedly representing. And, oh yeah, it would also just so happen that this "Castro supporter" was the only member of the local chapter of this organization and that the FBI had targeted this organization to infiltrate and discredit.

If anyone should be water-boarded at Guantanamo, it's Carlos. Not that I support water-boarding.

Edited by Pat Speer

The other curious thing is that the book was finished around the end of the Garrison investigation (1969), where the DRE had become a suspect. Was Carlos trying to aviod his connection for that reason? Yet, even at the time of Posner's book, he is denying to Posner that he was ever a member of the DRE. :hotorwot

Wonder why?

-Bill

Exactly, Bringuier's involvement is smelly to say the least. Hmmm. the propaganda officer of an organization funded by the CIA just so happens to have an altercation with a Castro supporter, and TV cameras just so happen to be there, and then the propaganda officer just so happens to debate this "Castro supporter" on the radio, where it just so happens to come out that this "Castro supporter" was a former marine who defected to Russia. This just so happens to discredit the organization he was supposedly representing. And, oh yeah, it would also just so happen that this "Castro supporter" was the only member of the local chapter of this organization and that the FBI had targeted this organization to infiltrate and discredit.

If anyone should be water-boarded at Guantanamo, it's Carlos. Not that I support water-boarding.

Pat, Actually it gets worse than that, but for the time being, this is the oddity. This is a guy who immediately runs out after the 'debate' to tell his amigos in the DRE Miami HQ about Oswald , releases statements as Delagate of the Cuban Student Directorate, calling for a Congressional inquiry about Oswald. Tours with Billy James Hargis in 64', and brags about foiling Oswalds attempt at, "infiltrating his Organization or group ( which is what now?) :huh:

Then in his book and in later years with Posner, suppresses and denies these facts.

I don't get it.....uhh.... yes I do.

• 2 months later...

The other curious thing is that the book was finished around the end of the Garrison investigation (1969), where the DRE had become a suspect. Was Carlos trying to aviod his connection for that reason? Yet, even at the time of Posner's book, he is denying to Posner that he was ever a member of the DRE. :blink:

Wonder why?

-Bill

Pat, Actually it gets worse than that, but for the time being, this is the oddity. This is a guy who immediately runs out after the 'debate' to tell his amigos in the DRE Miami HQ about Oswald , releases statements as Delagate of the Cuban Student Directorate, calling for a Congressional inquiry about Oswald. Tours with Billy James Hargis in 64', and brags about foiling Oswalds attempt at, "infiltrating his Organization or group ( which is what now?) :eek

Then in his book and in later years with Posner, suppresses and denies these facts.

I don't get it.....uhh.... yes I do.

Bill,

Do you still have Bringuier's book?

If so, I have a question for you.

I also recently came across Carlos Bringuier discussing the assassination with Dale Myers, maybe at Myers' blog.

Bringuier says he talked with Jeff Morley on the phone and agreed to talk to him, but then after Googling Morley and reading some of his stuff, decided not to talk to him afterall.

But it was okay to talk to Dale Myers, as Dale and Carlos are apparently on the same side.

BK

http://jfkfiles.blogspot.com/2008/02/cia-v...son-morley.html

CIA vs Morley by Dale Myers - (Actually its Morley vs the CIA)

The CIA is in court again today defending its refusal to turn over documents on the activities of now-deceased career undercover officer George Joannides to journalist Jefferson Morley.

Joannides was the chief of the CIA’s Miami-based psychological warfare operations against Cuban president Fidel Castro in 1963.

Mr. Morley believes the Joannides files “could shed light on the question of whether CIA officers overlooked, underestimated or manipulated Oswald as he made his way to Dallas.” [emphasis added]

It’s pretty clear that Morley is satisfied that he is going to find pay-dirt (i.e., a “smoking gun” in the Kennedy assassination) among these withheld documents. I’m not so sure.

While I applaud all efforts, including Morley’s, to secure the truth about circumstances surrounding the death of President Kennedy, I haven’t seen anything yet that suggests that George Joannides was involved directly or indirectly in the Kennedy assassination, or with Oswald, and neither has Morley.

Mr. Morley’s not-so-subtle suggestion that there is fire amid these unreleased “smoking” documents centers around the fact that Joannides was in charge of guiding and monitoring the Directorio Revolucinario Estudentil (DRE) (i.e., Cuban Student Directorate), an anti-Castro Cuban exile student group based in Miami.

In August, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald approached Carlos Bringuier, the self-proclaimed one-man delegate of the Miami-based DRE in New Orleans, and offered to join Bringuier’s organization to train guerillas to fight Castro. Bringuier was suspicious of Oswald and thought he might be an undercover FBI agent looking to infiltrate Bringuier’s one-man organization.

Oswald was rebuffed and later got into a street fight with several of Bringuier’s associates and was arrested for disturbing the peace. Oswald later wrote to the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC) in New York and bragged that he had “infiltrated” Bringuier’s group (he had not). Oddly, both Bringuier and Oswald, who claimed leadership of the FPCC in New Orleans, were running one-man operations.

A week after the street fight, Oswald debated Bringuier and INCA’s Edward Butler on WDSU radio. Oswald’s attempted defection to the Soviet Union was revealed during this debate and Oswald’s career as an agent provocateur was over.

In the wake of the debate, Bringuier sent out a press release, which consisted of a typed message on plain-white paper, to the local New Orleans media in an effort to get the media and others interested in investigating Oswald, whom Bringuier considered dangerous. Bringuier was the only person who tried to warn people about Oswald prior to the assassination.

During the process of getting the withheld documents on George Joannides released from CIA vaults, Jefferson Morley has inflated Bringuier’s connections to the Miami-based DRE by suggesting that Bringuier’s one-man New Orleans delegation was receiving money from Miami (“…The CIA was passing money to the DRE leaders at the time…”) and that the Miami-based DRE called for an investigation into Oswald (“…the DRE issued a press release calling for a congressional investigation of the pro-Castro activities of the then-obscure Oswald…”). Morley claimed to have support for these allegations after “interviewing” Bringuier.

However, Bringuier recently said that he refused Morley’s invitation for an interview after reading an article Morley had written.

“Morley never interviewed me,” Bringuier said. “He contacted me over the phone and initially we agreed to an interview here in my house. When I checked his credentials and found out the inaccuracies that he had written about me I called back and cancelled the interview. He persisted claiming he had already an airplane ticket to come here and I told him that this area is a very nice place and he can enjoy a vacation here but that I would not allow him to put a foot inside my house.

“We discussed his allegation that the CIA was giving me $25,000 a month in 1963, at a time when I was working in Casa Roca as co-Manager with a salary of $60.00 and living with my wife and 4 children in low-income apartment of the New Orleans Housing Authority. He backed up stating that the money maybe was going to the Miami office and then from there trickling down to me. I told him I never got a penny from the Miami office.

”I was a delegate of the Miami Central office from where I received mail communication. Maybe I visited that office one or two times while I had been vacationing in Miami. I never met George Joannides nor any other non-Cuban person during those couple of visits to the Miami office.”

In an article posted online yesterday announcing today’s CIA court battle over the Joannides documents, Morley continued to fan the flames of conspiracy, writing “the disputed [Joannides] files could prove more significant to the JFK case than the much-publicized files of Dallas District Attorney Henry Wade, made public last week [emphasis added],” “all efforts to pierce the veil of secrecy around Joannides’ actions in 1963 have been thwarted,” and “agency lawyers will make their first response to a court order to explain the secrecy surrounding a career CIA undercover officer allegedly involved in the events that led that to the murder of the president on Nov. 22, 1963.”

Mr. Morley didn’t mention that the allegation that Joannides might have been involved in Oswald’s New Orleans shenanigans is his own, and so far, one that remains unsubstantiated.

Instead of facts, we get inflammatory statements from Mr. Morley like this: “What remains unknown is the extent of Joannides’ control over his agents in the Cuban exile community who sought to link Oswald to Fidel Castro. [Editor’s note: A reference to the Buchanan brothers’ post-assassination allegations that Oswald was connected to Castro.] The day after JFK was killed the Cuban communist leader scorned the reports that Oswald was a supporter of his revolution and suggested that the CIA was behind the charge. The available records show that Castro was right: CIA funds did help publicize the allegation.”

Castro was right? How does the use of CIA funds which might have been used to publicize Oswald’s well known and well-founded admiration of Fidel Castro show that Castro was correct when he claimed Oswald’s support of Fidel was a CIA fantasy?

It’s no real surprise that the CIA (or the independent actions of the Cuban exile groups they supported) would capitalize on the fact that Oswald was a real-life Castro supporter, is it?

That fact alone, however, doesn’t mean that George Joannides or the CIA were complicit in the assassination or connected to Oswald’s activities, no matter how bad some people want it to be so.

In any event, it would be prudent to wait until the CIA actually releases the files on Joannides before crowing about what they contain or how they relate (if it all) to Oswald and the Kennedy assassination.

The other curious thing is that the book was finished around the end of the Garrison investigation (1969), where the DRE had become a suspect. Was Carlos trying to aviod his connection for that reason? Yet, even at the time of Posner's book, he is denying to Posner that he was ever a member of the DRE. :blink:

Wonder why?

-Bill

The CIA went ballistic when Garrison established an anti-Castro Cuban connection to the assassination. I would guess they had something to do with Carlos Bringuier trying to aviod his connection to the DRE.

Edited by Tony Frank