The Education Forum

Jefferson Morley: Our Man in Mexico

Jeff Morley spoke with José Pertierra of Cubadebate in October 2009. Miss Machetera of Machetera published an English translation of the interview on her blog on October 21, 2009. It is a good interview with some new details about the case.

A few quotes:

"The story that we’re told about Joannides is a show. A lie."

"f the documents being hidden truly do not incriminate the CIA, why do they want them to be hidden?"

"The documents I have show that Joannides traveled to New Orleans to complete tasks that the CIA charged him with in 1963 and 1964. We don’t have any information about those operations. Joannides can’t tell us, because he died in 2001. Those are the only documents about what he did in that city with the DRE members."

"The CIA has the legal obligation to declassify those documents, but it does not want to declassify them. It’s locked them up. I believe that the lockup sources from the CIA department in charge of Latin America."

"Washington has a mistaken perception about what is truly national security."

"I am only asking that the CIA obey the law."

English translation:

http://machetera.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/...ght-to-hide-it/

Spanish version:

http://www.cubadebate.cu/especiales/2009/1...bedezca-la-ley/

Jeff will speak about the case on Wednesday, January 20 at 2 p.m. EST on the ‘The Cedric Muhammad and Black Coffee Program’ at BlackElectorate.com (http://blackelectorate.com) and Cedricmuhammad.com at: http://www.cedricmuhammad.com/media/

- Steve

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additional information about the Scott family......

From jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com regarding Our Man In Mexico

While there are still many redacted pages and chapters in the life of Winston Scott, Michael's collaboration with Morley, the seasoned journalist

on his own hunt, gives us a much more colorful picture of not only the man, and the Mexico City scene, but most importantly, what parts of the

puzzle are still blank.

The story doesn't start in Mexico City, or New Orleans, but early in World War II at the bar of the Wardman Park Hotel in Washington DC where

Win Scott meets Jimmy Murphy. Scott had been in the FBI and sent to Havana in February 1943 with Raymond Leddy, before he enlisted in the

Navy and was assigned to radar research. Then he met Murphy, who recruited Scott into the OSS as a code breaker.

In short order Scott went from Wardman Park to Bletchley Park, London where the British cryptographers were set up and where Scott meets a

number of important people, including Tommy Robertson, Murphy's deputy Norman Holmes Pearson, James Jesus Angelton and Kim Philby,

all of whom play major roles in Win Scott's life.

addition by Robert;

It is not a well-known fact that the [Winfield] Scott family had a tangible link to the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas. As the following passage indicates.

"Rubusmont, translated Thistle Hill, the elegant mansion located at 1509 Pennsylvania Avenue in Fort Worth, Texas.....is so designated by the Texas Historical Commission....

It was built in 1903 for Electra, the daughter of the W.T. Waggoner's, and the bride of A.B. Wharton, a prominent socialite from Philadelphia. The Wharton's lived at Thistle Hill until 1910, and in 1911 the home was sold to the Winfield Scott's, who had lived in Colorado City, had moved to Fort Worth, and were living in one of Scott's hotels. Although Winfield Scott did not build this home, nor did he ever live in it, after his death in 1911, and after Mrs. Scott made it a site of lavish entertaining, the home was known for the next sixty years

as the Winfield Scott Home. It is said that Winfield Scott paid $90,000 for the home and then spent $100,000 more remodeling it......it was during the time of this long and arduous remodeling that Mrs. Scott died. Mrs. Scott had moved into the home sometime in 1912 or early 1913.

Taken From pages 121-22 - Dining With The Cattle Barons - Yesterday and Today - Sarah Morgan - Texian Press - 1981 LOC Cat # 81-50885

The Scott family also had holdings in the cattle industry, as well as other figures in the JFK legacy, such as Lyndon Baines Johnson grandfather Sam E. Johnson, which LBJ

inherited, other names in the JFK legacy which deal with "cattle breeding" center on Dave Cherry, and Thomas Eli Davis III, who, when arrested in Morocco, had documents

in his possession mentioning the names Jack Ruby and Lee Harvey Oswald.

He stated he was in Morocco concerning "cattle breeding." Although no correlating evidence supporting his claim exists in those same documents.

Interestingly, the possibility that Win Scott had extended family in 1963 in Dallas, seems a real possibility, for that year there were residential listings under the following

names.

Scott, Winfield A. 3729 Park Ln FL 7-7063

Scott, Winfield W. 4606 Walnut Hill Ln. FL 2-1495

Scott, Winifred, N. Mrs 6326 Lakehurst EM 1-2928

Of course Winston Mackinley Scott, headed the Mexico City Station from 1956 to 1969

In June of 1944 Winfield Scott went to Europe the same month as the invasion of Normandy, more commonly known as D-Day was underway, he was

assigned to Bletchley Park, mainly because Jimmy Murphy felt that Scott's excellent mathematical skills would make him a natural regarding codebreaking efforts in England.

• 3 weeks later...

On page 179 of "Our Man in Mexico" Jeff Morley points out that Stanley Watson, Win Smith's deputy chief of station and Joseph Piccolo, a CIA counterintelligence officer in Mexico City, both claimed to have seen photographs of Oswald entering and leaving the Cuban Embassy.

From the 1990 manuscript/book re; assassination.

"two other of our anti-Castro anti-communist associates were dispatched by Guy Gabaldon to enlist Oswald in the CIA {Central Intelligence Agency.

In late September 1963 Oswald accompanied Lawrence John "Larry" Howard- AKA Alonzo Escruido, and Loren Eugene "skip" Hall-AKA Lorenzo Paccillo to

enlist Oswald in the CIA {Central Intelligence Agency} In late September 1963, Oswald accompanied the pair to Gabaldon's Mexico City area office.

Oswald then received instructions and funds from the impressive, but phony "CIA officer Gabaldon" The fate of both Oswald and Kennedy were there,

forever sealed! Howard and Hall eventually returned to California, and Oswald to Texas where two weeks later, October 1963, he began working at the

book depository building in Dallas, Texas.

The poor slob was awaiting further instructions from another fake CIA contact that, among other details, requested him to deliver weapons, supposedly

to be picked up at his workplace along with other weapons to be donated and used by anti-Castro raiders."

• 1 year later...

I've just finished reading this book and enjoyed it thoroughly. It gives great insight into the workings of the US intel apparat in Mexico City in the 1960s. For me, it provided the clearest linkage yet of Dulles, Helms, Angleton and Phillips and real insight into what they were doing to set up the events of 11/23/63. An excellent, very worthwhile read!

• 3 months later...

"We want the real history of our country."

The holy grail of the JFK story: Seven steps to unlocking the historical truth about the assassination in Dallas by Jefferson Morley.

Article in Salon.com was posted by Jeff Morley today.

This article, in my opinion, is his best yet. He lays out his careful plan for approaching the assassination, amid non-disclosure of government files and confusing conspiracy theories: Start in the middle; understand the resistance; examine Operation Northwoods and CIA files; consider the view through the Agency's lens, then and now; study the records of political assassinations; return to the middle and work your way up.

Along the way, discussions of George Joannides, David Phillips, Win Scott, James Angleton, and a shout out to William Kelly's ONI document work at his site, http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/ (way to go, Bill).

All in all, worth your time, no matter how much you agree with his approach.

The article, in Jeff's usual cautious and thorough style, is similar to the presentation he gave at Coalition on Political Assassination (COPA) Annual Regional Meeting on November 18, 2011.

You can view his 2011 presentation at COPA, and the other speakers, at:

http://politicalassassinations.com/2010/11/watch-the-copa-conference-online/

Click the View All link to see the complete speaker videos.

Edited by Steve Rosen

"We want the real history of our country."

The holy grail of the JFK story: Seven steps to unlocking the historical truth about the assassination in Dallas by Jefferson Morley.

Article in Salon.com was posted by Jeff Morley today.

This article, in my opinion, is his best yet. He lays out his careful plan for approaching the assassination, amid non-disclosure of government files and confusing conspiracy theories: Start in the middle; understand the resistance; examine Operation Northwoods and CIA files; consider the view through the Agency's lens, then and now; study the records of political assassinations; return to the middle and work your way up.

Along the way, discussions of George Joannides, David Phillips, Win Scott, James Angleton, and a shout out to William Kelly's ONI document work at his site, http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/ (way to go, Bill).

All in all, worth your time, no matter how much you agree with his approach.

The article, in Jeff's usual cautious and thorough style, is similar to the presentation he gave at Coalition on Political Assassination (COPA) Annual Regional Meeting on November 18, 2011.

You can view his 2011 presentation at COPA, and the other speakers, at:

http://politicalassa...ference-online/

Click the View All link to see the complete speaker videos.

Thanks for pointing that out Steve,

And thanks to Jim D for his critical review of Morley's Our Man In Mexico.

On the whole, I think Morley's approach is the right one, and if followed by enough people, could result in the release of the rest of the assassination records within two years

instead of 2017 or never.

While I was invited to Dallas, I don't think that is the center of the universe any more, and that DC is where we will find more records, witnesses and any truth and justice in this case,

if there is to be any.

And I am honored that two of the presenters at Dallas COPA - Peter Dale Scott and Jefferson Morley in this article, mention and refer to my work and cite my blog JFKCountercoup.blogspot.com

I was going to write something for this anniversary but decided not to, and posted a good article by Dennis Bartholomew instead.

I also note that Lisa Pease has an article in Salon on the RFK assassination.

I think Jeff Morely's article - the Holy Grail - is right on the money, and if we do as he says, and follow the seven steps, good things will happen.

BK