Kim - Garcia = Garcia (9-8)

Mahan - Casey = Mahan (10-8)

Leonard - Karlsson = Karlsson (10-9)

Mickelson - Rose = Mickelson (11-9)

Perry - Stenson = halved (11.5 - 9.5)

Weekley - Wilson = halved (12 -10)

Holmes - Hansen = Hansen (12-11)

Furyk - Jimenez = Halved (12.5 - 11.5)

Cink - McDowell = McDowell (12.5 - 12.5)

Stricker - Poulter = Poulter (12.5 - 13.5)

Curtis - Westwood = halved (13 - 14)

Campbell - Harrington = Harrington (13-15)

Europe to retain Ryder Cup. Funny before actually doing this exercise I thought USA would win.

I think Mahan and McDowell have been the best players. Poulter has touched lucky getting Stricker and Curtis and now Stricker again in singles. In saying that he has gotten the points without playing really well.

Mickelson has done some amazing things but as usual he has been wayward too often. The burden of carrying a poor Kim has probably forced him to try too hard.

The US, if they lose, can blame their poor execution on the 18th hole for that. It's been tragicomedy watching them play that hole.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

Your scores just didn't add up right.

You know, I never heard of Anthony Kim, Hunter Mahan, Kenny Perry, J.B. Holmes or Boo Weekley before this weekend, and now they're folk heroes who won't ever be able to buy their own drinks in America.

Paul Azinger won this one, without the greatest player in the world, by altering the selection process to get the guys he wanted, he got the crowd to be the extra influence, and he got his team to take the right mental approach.

As Lee Westwood put it, "Boo Weekleys fist pumping, crowd-wooping antics strattles the line of good taste."

Indeed.

See you at Celtic Manor, Wales in 2010, God willing, and we'll see how the Yankee boys behave as guests.

And there's more to the Ryder Cup history thing. Mr. Ryder, English seed merchant and avid amateur spectator to the first unofficial meeting between American instigators in England led by one Walter Hagen - buys everyone dinner after the match and puts up the old mug, with the likeness of his friend Mitchell sketched on it.

Hagen was pretty much Mr. Ryder Cup USA until the end of WWII. They used to play every odd numbered year until 9/11 when they switched to even numbers. Interesting history, much like Walker Cup.

http://www.rydercup.com/2008/usa/history/index.html

BK

Edited by William Kelly

As Lee Westwood put it, "Boo Weekleys fist pumping, crowd-wooping antics strattles the line of good taste."

I agree with Westwood but he has a very short memory - there has been plenty of fist pumping and crowd hollering at European venues in recent years.

I thought this year's contest was actually pretty good for good manners and respect for the opponent - and there seemed to be a genuine warmth between opposing players at the end - it has not always been this way regretably at the Ryder Cup. Captain Eric Brown in 1969 ordering the Brits not to help the yanks look for their lost balls, and the utterly tastless "war on the shore" in 1991 to name but two.

First pumping is pretty tasteless, (I for one only use it when I go one up against the missus), but appears to be part of the modern game - perhaps we should thank Tiger for this?

The young Americans played fantastic golf this week and Azinger captained them brilliantly. Congratulations to them. Europe however was captained by a buffoon who alienated most of his senior players at least a year ago and seemed to lose the Europen edge of recent years - this edge was their sense of team. I expect him to be slaughtered by the UK press - he should just be thankful that his 2 controversial picks played well.

Guest Gary Loughran

Shame on you Mr Kelly for not knowing Anthony Kim, Hunter Mahan, Kenny Perry, J.B. Holmes or Boo Weekley :lol:

I pretty much watch every PGA tour event 8-11 our time on Setanta sports so I have a pretty good knowledge of the players. Of these guys I expected Perry and Holmes to be poor. I knew Stricker and Curtis would struggle. Mahan, Kim and Weekly are high order golfers and superb ball strikers. Perry shocked me with his good play, which can be erratic.

The Kim, Garcia game was an amzing display of golf. Sergio would have been 4up against virtually every other player on the course and instead found himself 2 down. It was a game of first man to blink. They weren't conceding putts of any range and ultimately Garcia missed a 2 footer. This, for me, was the only lack of sportsmanship all 3 days. Though it was entertaining.

I think on one or two occassions Weekly was getting the cheering going before Westwood putted, which was obviously not on. However he apologised and proceeded to 'act like a proper golfer', whatever that means. Blame Woods, technology, fist pumping or anything else - it doesn't diminish the fact that golf is more popular than ever, being played by more classes that ever, is more accessible than ever and is, I believe, ultimately being played better than ever. People will gravitate towards emotional displays of success and disappointment (fist pumps, buried clubs) etc. much quicker than they will to sullen, sombre, staid tips of the hat. Thank God for Woods, Weekly, Garcia, Kim, Poulter and more, who carry on the game played by Hagen, Palmer, Tervino, Rodriguez, Ballesteros and many others. Bobby Jones and Andy Walker might not approve but then Jones, at least, could afford not to.:)

People will gravitate towards emotional displays of success and disappointment (fist pumps, buried clubs) etc. much quicker than they will to sullen, sombre, staid tips of the hat.

Bobby Jones had a furious temper as a young man - he matured and in doing so became more successful :lol:

I always coach golfers not to engage with negative emotions on the golf course - its like double punishment for the bad shot just played (its also pretty obnoxious for everyone else), and out of respect for the opponent not to let positive emotions run riot either.

If that makes me sullen and staid then so be it :)

Guest Gary Loughran
People will gravitate towards emotional displays of success and disappointment (fist pumps, buried clubs) etc. much quicker than they will to sullen, sombre, staid tips of the hat.

Bobby Jones had a furious temper as a young man - he matured and in doing so became more successful :lol:

I always coach golfers not to engage with negative emotions on the golf course - its like double punishment for the bad shot just played (its also pretty obnoxious for everyone else), and out of respect for the opponent not to let positive emotions run riot either.

If that makes me sullen and staid then so be it :)

I absolutely agree that negative emotion can be obnoxious to playing partners and can have a detrimental affect on ones game and make it unpleasant for playing partners. Hunter Mahan and Antony Kim have worked prodigioulsy to take this element from their game.

However golf is now played by more roundedly athletic people than in years gone by. With that is a more natural tendency to show emotion both positive and negative - as in virtually every other sport. The self regulation with respect to rules and etiquette will, proudly and gladly, always remain. The fist pumps and 'boy am I good' type, utterances are something the golf playing and viewing public must get used to, for better or worse. This will never make Brookline, Kiawah Island and the like acceptable.

In tounament play you play the course. If you perform well I see nothing wrong with noting that with a fist pump or whatever. In matchplay you are, similarly, celebrating a win of a hole. You should also expect the same from your opponent. All this is within reason, and I don't recall too much occuring at Valhalla that was disrespectful. Westwood may have been annoyed with Faldo more than the crowd.

I thought the European contingent on the first tee were brilliant for the game and players - with both teams taking great pleasure from the banter. Perhaps the stadium course designs have also facilitated a more boisterous crowd and competitiors. It certainly beats Colin Montgomerie staring down a butterfly 80 yards away who happened to move during his backswing.

A story you might find interesting if you've never heard it - famously at Kiawah Faldo blanked his partner David Gilford and caught some flack for it as they got beat heavily (7&6????I think). I found out recently this may be partly Gilford's own doing. It seems they played in the same group at a tournament a few weeks before the Ryder Cup and Faldo marked Gilford's card. Apparently on checking the card Gilford found Faldo had made 10-12 mistakes - something that had never happened before to Gilford and unheard of generally. Gilford, in an instant, took an immense dislike to Faldo, for obvious reasons -though judging by how he scored the card it seems Faldo already didn't like the young Gilford.

I'd much rather a punch in the face than a knife in the back - I suppose that's why I don't mind the whole fist pumping etc. at least you know where you stand.

Azinger uses British SAS military tactics to win Cup?:

Special Air Service?

After the 161/2-111/2 victory he teased British viewers by telling Sky that he had a "plan I won't yet share", but within an hour he was letting forth. "About four or five years ago, I watched a documentary," Azinger said, "and I've had this idea ever since that if I was the captain how I would try to approach the team. We put four guys together in practice rounds and they played together every day, and they were the four guys that stayed together the whole week and they were never going to come out of their little group. That's the way I did it." In other words, Azinger found the missing unity in creating divisions. Well, it was always going to take something wacky to inspire this bunch of misfits.

It later emerged that it was a military documentary showing the old SAS tactic of forming "clusters". Azinger, who has been devouring psychology books for two years, split his 12 hungry men into three groups and assigned an assistant captain to look after them as they ate, practised and laughed together. Azinger then sat back and let the bonding ritual take its course. "I never saw Anthony Kim hit one shot in practice until the 18th hole on Thursday," Azinger said, "I relied on Ray Floyd.It's been two years with my hands on the wheel and on Friday, I had to let go. I smashed my foot to the floor, took my hands off the wheel and turned my head. I didn't know what was going to happen, whether I was going to crash into a tree. I had to trust my guys and they came through for me."

For the complete story:

How the Ryder Cup was won.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/ho...won-938715.html

Edited by William Kelly

• 2 years later...

Okay,

Which way is it going to go?

Any bets down?

I am not a gambler but I suspect a very wet Wales will suit the Europeans more than the Americans.

Most popular sports -

World Cup

Olympics

Ryder Cup?

http://www.washingto...0093007049.html

Gee John,

That is a very wet Wales.

You should have bet on the weather.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/rydercup/8036092/Ryder-Cup-2010-live.html

Edited by William Kelly

As someone who hates sports, I think it should be the olympics (though the figures don't support my opinion). Most countries in the world participate, and most countries have a chance at winning something (I think).

Okay,

Which way is it going to go?

Any bets down?

I am not a gambler but I suspect a very wet Wales will suit the Europeans more than the Americans.

Most popular sports -

World Cup

Olympics

Ryder Cup?

http://www.washingto...0093007049.html

Gee John,

http://www.telegraph...-2010-live.html

Gee John,

http://www.telegraph...-2010-live.html

I am afraid you would have only got 20-1 on for it raining hard in Wales at this time of year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/Greedy-forces-behind-Ryder-Cup-are-turning-golfs-name-to-mud-100110

There is another way of looking at this. Playing on a Monday means a much smaller crowd for the final day. Without the support of a large patriotic crowd, the European team is expected to be less fired-up.