The Education Forum

Reccomended JFK Reading

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is interested in reading about the assassination of JFK and has asked me to recommend several books.

I am hoping some of you will suggest some for him, maybe 4 or 5 that would basically serve as a complete guide to the whole event with possibly 1 or 2 of them more recent and therefore acting as an update on developments since – any ideas?

I sincerely appreciate any help with this, thanks - Steve

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is interested in reading about the assassination of JFK and has asked me to recommend several books.

I am hoping some of you will suggest some for him, maybe 4 or 5 that would basically serve as a complete guide to the whole event with possibly 1 or 2 of them more recent and therefore acting as an update on developments since – any ideas?

Off the top of my head:

1) Not in Your Lifetime - Anthony Summer

2) On the Trail of the Assassins - Jim Garrison

3) The Last Investigation - Gaeton Fonzi

4) A Farewell to Justice - Joan Mellen

5) JFK and the Unspeakable - James W. Douglass

Hi Everyone,

I think the two Mark Lane books, 'Rush To Judgement' and 'A Citizen's Dissent' are the best grounding for assassination newbies who are after the basic facts.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for kick-starting this thread for me with your suggestions - I hope others will take your lead and submit their suggestions also.

Thanks - Steve

Gary Buell -

Off the top of my head:

Mark Stapleton -

I think the two Mark Lane books, 'Rush To Judgement' and 'A Citizen's Dissent' are the best grounding for assassination newbies who are after the basic facts.

Hi,

Thanks alot guys for your suggestions, I will copy the combined list and and send to my freind.

I would like to say how dissapointed I am that only three members bothered to make any suggestions - I guess something like this is not worth replying to?

Lucky for the site we have you three members and I thank you.

Steve

Gary Buell -

Off the top of my head:

Mark Stapleton -

Cigdem Eksi -

Rush To Judgement - Mark Lane

Accessories After The Fact - Sylvia Meagher

A Farewell To Justice - Joan Mellen

Ultimate Sacrifice - Lamar Waldron

The four books I would recommend are:-

1. Breach of Trust by Gerald D. McKnight

It is by far the best book on the Warren Commission that I have ever read.

2. Cover up by Stewart Galanor

Although probably the smallest book on JFK I have, it is invaluable as a basic exploration of what happened

3. Six Seconds in Dallas by Josiah Thompson

Although written in 1967, and although Josiah has since changed his mind on some of the points he makes, I feel he explores what are still essential features of the case.

4. The Whitewash series by Harold Weisberg

Although he is a difficult read he is one of the first generation researchers that it is of benefit to read.

Hope this is of help

The four books I would recommend are:-

1. Breach of Trust by Gerald D. McKnight

It is by far the best book on the Warren Commission that I have ever read.

2. Cover up by Stewart Galanor

Although probably the smallest book on JFK I have, it is invaluable as a basic exploration of what happened

3. Six Seconds in Dallas by Josiah Thompson

Although written in 1967, and although Josiah has since changed his mind on some of the points he makes, I feel he explores what are still essential features of the case.

4. The Whitewash series by Harold Weisberg

Although he is a difficult read he is one of the first generation researchers that it is of benefit to read.

Hope this is of help

1. Bloody Treason - Noel Twyman

2. The Man Who Knew Too Much - Dick Russell

3. Someone Would Have Talked - Larry Hancock [3rd edition]

4. A Certain Arrogance: U.S. Intelligence's Manipulation of Religious Groups........George Michael Evica.

5. A Farewell To Justice - Joan Mellen 2nd Edition

6. Sons & Brothers: The Days of Jack and Bobby Kennedy - Richard D. Mahoney

7. Deep Politics and the Death of JFK - Peter Dale Scott

8. Nemesis: Aristotle Onassis, Jackie O. and the Love Affair that Brought Down the Kennedys - Peter Evans

9. The Man On The Grassy Knoll - John R. Craig/Philip Rogers

10. Crossfire:The Plot That Killed Kennedy By Jim Marrs

I would also add that it is essential to have what I would call a book that serves as a guidebook to 20th Century History that places the events related to the Kennedy assassination, in a proper historical context.

My choice would be Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World In Our Time by Carroll Quigley.

Considering this book is very difficult to find, my second choice would be

William Manchester's The Glory and The Dream: A Narrative History of America 1932-1972.

To begin any serious study of the JFK assassination, one must first understand the event as it played out before us. My personal library is a good example of where a beginner might embark on his journey.

Four Days In November, edited by Robert B. Semple Jr. would be a good place to start. This book chronicles the story as published in the New York Times. If we first understand how the story unfolded in the press, we can better understand why and how Americans--and the world--formed the opinions they did as to what occurred, and as to what the "facts" were.

Next would be a to find a copy of the summary report of the Warren Commission; I found a hardcover edition of the summary, as published by the Associated Press, at a thrift store and snatched it up. After all, one cannot debate the conclusions of the Warren Commission without understanding exactly what those conclusions were.

To understand some of the independent research that went on almost immediately after the assassination, I recommend The Assassination Chronicles, the trilogy of Edward Jay Epstein combined into a single volume.

To get a feel for the Zapruder film and the power Life magazine had on subsequent investigations, try the November 25, 1966 issue of Life, the one with the headline, A Matter of Reasonable Doubt.

This will get you started. Along with the recommendations of the previous posts, I would also suggest using the History Matters website for access to Warren Commission exhibits and testimony.