The Education Forum

JFK researcher visited by FBI?

There is a story about Chad Morrisette hanging an effigy of Sarah Palin off the roof of his house. Is this the same Morrisette who is married to Michele Morrisette -- the woman who provides many photos related to JFK? Here is the story:

Palin Effigy Prompts Visit From Feds

AP

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (Oct. 29) - Chad Morrisette never imagined his Halloween yard decorations would prompt interest from the Secret Service.

Harmless or Inappropriate? The Secret Service visited a home in West Hollywood, Calif., to find out whether a Halloween-themed effigy of Sarah Palin, the Repubican presidential nominee, constituted a threat. The display also includes John McCain, Palin's running mate, surrounded by fake flames on top of the house's chimney.

But apparently hanging a mannequin of GOP vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin from a noose isn't something to be ignored.

Agents recently visited Morrisette's home to see the display and have been trying to meet him to ensure no violent plots have been concocted, Deputy Special Agent in Charge Wayne Williams said Tuesday.

So far, he said, it seems to be a harmless — though unusual — display.

"We're not treating it as a threat," he told The Associated Press. "Halloween presents some interesting challenges for us with the masks and costumes."

Local officials aren't quite as accepting of the display, which also features Palin's running mate John McCain surrounded by fake flames coming out of the bungalow's chimney.

West Hollywood Mayor Jeffrey Prang has urged Morrisette to remove the mannequins, and Los Angeles County Supervisor Mike Antonovich called for an investigation into whether the effigy constitutes a hate crime because it targeted the candidates based on their political affiliation.

"Had this stupid act been done to Senator (Barack) Obama, there would appropriately have been a national outcry," he said in a statement.

County Counsel Ray Fortner said he would discuss the matter with the district attorney and report back to Antonovich with a legal opinion.

Prang said Morrisette had the right to create the display, but "I strongly oppose political speech that references violence — real or perceived. I urge these residents to take down their display and find more constructive ways to express their opinion."

Morrisette said he has no plans to take down the effigy before Halloween. He said he and his partner, Mito Aviles, created it about three weeks ago but didn't expect to cause such a stir.

"If it's a political statement, it's that (McCain's and Palin's) politics are scary to us," Morrisette told The Los Angeles Times. "This is our palette and this is our venue of expression."

Neighbors didn't mind at first, but the media's fascination with the display has neighbors concerned about negative coverage reflecting poorly on the neighborhood, they said.

"We don't want to make enemies with anyone," Aviles said. "This isn't what it was supposed to be about."

Law enforcement officials said the display is protected by the First Amendment and does not violate any city, state or federal laws.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said the department received at least 60 calls from around the country complaining about the effigy.

County Counsel Ray Fortner said he would discuss the matter with the district attorney and report back to Antonovich with a legal opinion.

Prang said Morrisette had the right to create the display, but "I strongly oppose political speech that references violence — real or perceived. I urge these residents to take down their display and find more constructive ways to express their opinion."

Morrisette said he has no plans to take down the effigy before Halloween. He said he and his partner, Mito Aviles, created it about three weeks ago but didn't expect to cause such a stir.

"If it's a political statement, it's that (McCain's and Palin's) politics are scary to us," Morrisette told The Los Angeles Times. "This is our palette and this is our venue of expression."

Neighbors didn't mind at first, but the media's fascination with the display has neighbors concerned about negative coverage reflecting poorly on the neighborhood, they said.

"We don't want to make enemies with anyone," Aviles said. "This isn't what it was supposed to be about."

Law enforcement officials said the display is protected by the First Amendment and does not violate any city, state or federal laws.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said the department received at least 60 calls from around the country complaining about the effigy.

Good grief Kathy....

Do you think Michelle is the only person with that last name? In the first place, they do not even live in CA. and in the second place, she is not even a Member here. In the third place, even if she was a member here, don't you feel she might possibly be rather humiliatrd to have it blabbed on here.....that is, whether it was actually her husband or not. She happens to be a very nice womna, and sure doesn't deserve such thoughts.

Dixie

Good grief Kathy....

Do you think Michelle is the only person with that last name? In the first place, they do not even live in CA. and in the second place, she is not even a Member here. In the third place, even if she was a member here, don't you feel she might possibly be rather humiliatrd to have it blabbed on here.....that is, whether it was actually her husband or not. She happens to be a very nice womna, and sure doesn't deserve such thoughts.

Dixie

Correct Dix..........

This is crap, and no this has nothing to do with Michelle.......

Kathy, why do you not check into your suppositions first, .?....before you ramble.....

This should be deleted......

B.........

Edited by Bernice Moore

I was confused over the name of Morrisette's husband. I didn't catch the gravity of the situation, that hanging an effigy of a politician was a threat. I still think it's harmless, even though I was wrong about the possilble identity of the subject. And if you look back at it, I was asking a question, which John Simkin said is allowable and even encouraged. So hang me in effigy. I don't care what you do with this thread.

Kathy C