The Education Forum

Question for John Simkin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't think Frank Castro wants your address :rolleyes: , but I sure would like to have his!

Where did you get the information below from?

(1) Donald Freed, Death in Washington: The Murder of Orlando Letelier (1980)

A formal agreement between DINA and CORU was made in November 1975. Michael Townley was selected as liaison between the groups.

In July 1976 Cuban terrorists and Michael Townley met in Bonao in the Dominican Republic at the executive lodge of the Falcondo Mining Company to plan joint ventures: both the Cubana bombing and the Letelier killing. Sacha Volman, the veteran CIA agent, and Cuban exile Frank Castro, another CIA man working with Gulf and Western, hosted the meeting. Volman had been a key CIA-labor operative in the Dominican Republic under David Phillips.

In 1977, Ambassador George Landau entered the case as a principal and revealed the circumstances of the Paraguayan passports. The false names and photographs of the two men had been lost by the CIA. Now, after Landau remembered them, they reappeared. "Juan Williams Rose" would later be identified by Chileans as Michael Vernon Townley, and the Department of Justice had no choice but to call the Cuban exiles identified in Penthouse before a grand jury. But it was too late to call Aldo Vera.

Researchers working on this book have learned that, by October 1976, only days after Letelier was murdered, the FBI was pressing Aldo Vera for information and that Vera was co-operating. Vera had been expelled from Accion Cubana in June 1976-according to FBI documents newly discovered-because of his informant activity. On October 25, 1976, he was murdered in San Juan. He and Townley had started out together in the SAO and P y L. Then Vera had helped to set up Cruz in France. Now he was dead, and Townley and his wife feared for their lives.

The text I have is just a tiny little different. Can you see where it differs?

By the spring of 1977, IPS. and independent investigators had learned: A formal agreement between DINA and CORU was made in November 1975. Michael Townley was selected as liaison between the groups. In July 1976 Cuban Terrorists and Michael Townley met in Bonao in the Dominican Republic at the executive lodge of the Falcondo Mining Company to plan joint ventures: both the Cubana bombing and the Letelier killing. Sacha Volman, the veteran CIA agent, and Cuban exile Frank Castro, another CIA man working with Gulf and Western, hosted the meeting. Volman had been a key CIA-labor operative in the Dominican Republic under David Phillips.

In 1977, Ambassador George Landau entered the case as a principal and revealed the circumstance of the Paraguayan Passports. The false names and photographs of the two men had been lost by the CIA. Now, after Landau remembered them, they reappeared. "Juan William Rose" and "Sergio Castillo" would later be identified by Chileans as Michael Vernon Townley (Rose), and James E. Sutton (Castillo).

1976, only days after Letelier was murdered, the FBI was pressing Aldo Vera for Information and Vera was co-operating. Vera had been expelled from Accion Cubana in June 1976, according to FBI documents, because of his informant activity. On October 25, 1976, he was murdered in San Juan. He and Townley had started out together in the SAO and PyL. Then Vera had helped to set up Cruz in Franace. Now he was dead, and Townley and his wife feared for their lives.

Edited by Wim Dankbaar

My copy of "The Murder of Orlando Letelier: Death in Washington" is the 1980 edition (page 177).

As you know, Frank Castro is a very dangerous man and you should take care if you are investigating this story. The CIA will do what it needs to do to protect this man.

Have you seen this thread:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7786

My copy of "The Murder of Orlando Letelier: Death in Washington" is the 1980 edition (page 177).

As you know, Frank Castro is a very dangerous man and you should take care if you are investigating this story. The CIA will do what it needs to do to protect this man.

Have you seen this thread:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7786

John,

For what it is worth, I couldn't agree more.

Pamela

Oh wow! Thanks John. And does the book really have this in it:

In 1977, Ambassador George Landau entered the case as a principal and revealed the circumstances of the Paraguayan passports. The false names and photographs of the two men had been lost by the CIA.

Does it state "passports" in plural and "two men"?

Wim

Edited by Wim Dankbaar

As you know, Frank Castro is a very dangerous man and you should take care if you are investigating this story. The CIA will do what it needs to do to protect this man.]

John, are you meaning to admit that the US goverment is ruled by fear, rather than by freedom of speech, justice and democracy?

Yes I have, thanks.

By the way, today I received my copy of the book. Indeed the text on page 177 reads:

In 1977, Ambassador George Landau entered the case as a principal and revealed the circumstance of the Paraguayan Passports. The false names and photographs of the TWO MEN had been lost by the CIA. Now, after Landau remembered them, they reappeared.

If there were TWO MEN, then why is only one identified in the next sentence:

"Juan William Rose" would later be identified by Chileans as Michael Vernon Townley.

Wim

Edited by Wim Dankbaar