The Education Forum

Robert Rowe

To those interested, a search of the database at http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/data.htm (John F. Kennedy Collection, Dallas Municipal Archives) finds no mention of Robert Rowe. This apparently means he did not file an officer's report or affidavit for his participation in the arrest of Oswald..though he still may be mentioned in the report of another officer.

To those interested, a search of the database at http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/data.htm (John F. Kennedy Collection, Dallas Municipal Archives) finds no mention of Robert Rowe. This apparently means he did not file an officer's report or affidavit for his participation in the arrest of Oswald..though he still may be mentioned in the report of another officer.

Yea, Rob, we looked and also checked Mary Ferrell, NANA and Dallas City, nada, nada, nada.

That's not so suspicious though. I don't doubt his story.

There's a dozen or so Robert Rowes in the Dallas white pages though, and a few Robert A. Rowe, but he shouldn't be too difficult to find.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

... That's not so suspicious though. I don't doubt his story.

There's a dozen or so Robert Rowes in the Dallas white pages though, and a few Robert A. Rowe, but he shouldn't be too difficult to find. ...

An important question is why you believe his story. He is not difficult to find: just go to the Knoll any warm, sunny weekend. Bob Groden probably has his number, too.

I have been asked to post this regarding Mr Rowe on behalf of Ian Griggs who had trouble logging in to his account so could not do it himself:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been referred to a recent series of posts here on the subject of former DPD Patrolman Robert A. Rowe. Perhaps I can clarify some of the points made about this gentleman. The following notes are taken from the relevant passage in my work in progress on the DPD (November 1963) This book has the provisional working title "Dallas Blue" and is expected to be published in November 2009.

ROWE, Robert A. (Ptmn, NE Substation, 1st Platoon, Patrol Division)

As a member of the 1st Platoon, Ptmn. Rowe would have been on night shift duty during the assassination weekend. During a conversation with him in Dallas in Novembver 2005, however, he claimed to have been working some sort of undercover assignment on 22nd November. He told me that at this time he was working out of uniform and had long hair tied in a ponytail.

He also described having taken part in the arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald in the theatre. Despite discussing these claims with several DPD officers present during the Oswald arrest, I have been unable to corroborate his story. I have failed to identify any officer who saw him in the Texas Theater.

It was mentioned to me by a former DPD officer who knew Mr. Rowe that due to a longstanding medical condition (possibly a mental health problem), he (Rowe) seldom left the office and had responsibility only for the safe custody and necessary issue of keys in a key press.

During my meeting with Mr. Rowe it was noticeable that he was wearing on his jacket a DPD Patrolman badge across which was taped a piece of paper bearing the word RETIRED.

It is my opinion that this man was nowhere near the Oswald arrest site on 22nd November 1963 and I feel that his claim should be treated with extreme caution.

IAN GRIGGS

I have been asked to post this regarding Mr Rowe on behalf of Ian Griggs who had trouble logging in to his account so could not do it himself:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been referred to a recent series of posts here on the subject of former DPD Patrolman Robert A. Rowe. Perhaps I can clarify some of the points made about this gentleman. The following notes are taken from the relevant passage in my work in progress on the DPD (November 1963) This book has the provisional working title "Dallas Blue" and is expected to be published in November 2009.

ROWE, Robert A. (Ptmn, NE Substation, 1st Platoon, Patrol Division)

As a member of the 1st Platoon, Ptmn. Rowe would have been on night shift duty during the assassination weekend. During a conversation with him in Dallas in Novembver 2005, however, he claimed to have been working some sort of undercover assignment on 22nd November. He told me that at this time he was working out of uniform and had long hair tied in a ponytail.

He also described having taken part in the arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald in the theatre. Despite discussing these claims with several DPD officers present during the Oswald arrest, I have been unable to corroborate his story. I have failed to identify any officer who saw him in the Texas Theater.

It was mentioned to me by a former DPD officer who knew Mr. Rowe that due to a longstanding medical condition (possibly a mental health problem), he (Rowe) seldom left the office and had responsibility only for the safe custody and necessary issue of keys in a key press.

During my meeting with Mr. Rowe it was noticeable that he was wearing on his jacket a DPD Patrolman badge across which was taped a piece of paper bearing the word RETIRED.

It is my opinion that this man was nowhere near the Oswald arrest site on 22nd November 1963 and I feel that his claim should be treated with extreme caution.

IAN GRIGGS

Thank you Francescia, We'll take Ian's advice seriously, but still try to question him properly to see if he can answer our questions.

At least we've esablished he was a cop and did work that day.

BK

• 14 years later...

Interview of Robert Rowe on YouTube 

Here is an interview of retired Dallas Police officer Robert Rowe by Michael Brownlow, recorded 2008 but which appears not to have been previously known or posted on YouTube until this year, 2023. I first became aware of its existence by accident less than a week ago. Here, "Shattered Friday 2": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw474eos24Y (Rowe interview starts at 41:05).

A pickup truck was reported found with its engine running but no one in the vehicle, by Dallas Police officer Stringer near the alley of the Texas Theatre: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=217804#relPageId=104.

In the present interview, Rowe says he arrived in a pickup truck parked in the alley next to the Texas Theatre. That is (if that part of his story is true) maybe he was the man of the pickup truck of Stringer's report.

And Rowe self-confesses that he was a cop on the take from Jack Ruby whom he says he knew very well and says was connected to the Mafia--Rowe says he received money from Jack Ruby handed to him personally in cash in envelopes by Ruby, in addition to his officer pay. Rowe straight-up says that right on camera--that he had been in the pay of Ruby.   

Rowe claims he and an officer partner, T.O. Trotman (deceased), were doing undercover police work, he in long hair and ponytail, and happened to be nearby and went to the Texas Theatre after hearing that a suspect in the Tippit killing had been cornered in the Texas Theatre on commercial radio. Hearing that news they drove to the alley behind the Texas Theatre to help out their fellow officers. So Rowe's story.   

Rowe does not show up in any of the accounts of the Texas Theatre arrest of Oswald, of officers or witnesses or reports, his name does not appear in the index in Myers' book, etc and etc.

It is understandable to question whether Rowe was there, however that leaves unexplained why an actual retired long-term police officer of the Dallas Police would invent and fabricate such a story.

The man from whom Rowe says he received envelopes of cash, Jack Ruby, killed Oswald on nationwide TV on Sunday, two days after what may have been a thwarted attempt to kill Oswald at the Texas Theatre did not work out.

The until-now mystery of the identity of the driver of that pickup truck in the alley with its engine running may have this unexpected solution as to identity of that vehicle's owner or driver.

Edited by Greg Doudna