The Education Forum

Investigative Leads - Suspicious Phone Call

Investigative Lead – September 24, 1963 Phone Call

Although nobody seemed to notice at the time, in looking back after President Kennedy’s assassination, and compiling a chronology of events, a lot of interesting things happened on September 24, 1963.

That was the day that the Nuke Test Ban Treaty was passed by Congress, the day JFK visited Mary Pinchot Meyer’s family home in Pennsylvania and the day the President embarked on his conservation tour of the mid-west.

It was also the day that they officially announced the date of the presidential trip to Texas, and when Lee Harvey Oswald, the accused assassin, left New Orleans for Mexico City and Dallas, where paths would cross at Dealey Plaza.

It is also the day that someone in the law offices of G. Ray Gill in New Orleans called a phone number in Chicago that was published among the exhibits of the Warren Commission.

New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison made note of this fact, and mentions it in his books “Heritage of Stone” and “On the Trail of the Assassins,” and implies that this phone call is evidence of conspiracy.

And it indeed just might be.

On The Trail of the Assassins – Jim Garrison (Warner Books, 1988, p. 126 - 131):

When I showed up at the Pere Marquette Building, Wray Gill came out to his waiting room to meet me. One of the city’s best trial lawyers, Wray bowed and extended a welcome in his ornate fashion all the way back to his private office, which looked down on the winding Mississippi River, 18 floors below. I was there because David Ferrie had worked as a part-time investigator for Gill in 1962 and 1963.

In Gill’s office I waved the small talk aside, “Wray,” I said, “I need a favor of you.”

“No problem,” he replied.

“My intuition tells me that Dave Ferrie might have charged some long-distance calls on your phone when he was around here.”

His white eyebrows rose up, “Some long distance calls? God almighty! The man almost bankrupted me.”

“Can you give me copies of his calls?” I asked.

He sent his secretary to search the bills for 1962 and 1963.

“This is what we have, Mr. Gill,” she said when she returned. “You let him go in January, 1964. Remember?”

“How can I forget?” he muttered. He put his finger on the bill for that month. “I told Dave adios. I told him I could put up with his eccentricities, but not his long distance calls.”

Gull instructed his secretary to draw a penciled line through every call made by the office, keeping exposed the calls made by Ferrie. “They’re easy to pick out,” he said.

“Those cities there didn’t have a damned thing to do with this office. You know better than anyone that about ninety percent of my business is right here in New Orleans.”

In the course of striking through the office calls, the secretary discovered that the bills for November 1963 – the month of President Kennedy’s assassination – were missing. She had no idea who had removed them but pointed out that Ferrie still had access to the office files then.

That night I began going through Ferrie’s long distance bills for 1962 and 1963. The first thing I noticed was their remarkable diversity. The calls were not only to many domestic cities, but to such distant locals as Guatemala, Mexico, and Canada. Just whom he was calling could have been discovered in short order by a federal agency such as the F.B.I. with its resources and authority. But it had become apparent that no such agencies were going to be willing to help us out.

We had neither the telephone company connections nor the investigative staff to undertake that kind of broad-based, logical approach I would have chosen. Instead, I painstakingly collected and correlated all of the Warren Commission exhibits listing phone calls made by, to, or otherwise connected with witnesses encountered by the federal investigation.

After many evenings of comparing Ferrie’s long-distance calls to those in the Commission exhibits, I made a connection.

The local telephone bill indicated that one of Ferrie’s calls had been made from New Orleans to Chicago on September 24, 1963. This was, according to the Warren Commission’s later conclusions, the day before Lee Oswald left New Orleans.

The number Ferrie called in Illinois that day was WH 4-4970. The local phone bill did not identify the recipient.

Was Ferrie calling, perhaps, to report to some intermediary that the sheepdipping job had been completed or that “the kid is leaving New Orleans” or something of that sort?

In Commission exhibit number 2350 ) pgae 335 of volume XXV) I found a call made to exactly the same number. WH 4-4970 in Chicago, Illinois. Under Additional Information in the Commission volume was listed “Person call [sic] at 9:09 a.m. credit card used. Kansas City Missouri to Miss A. Asie Room 1405.”

The exhibit did not identify the caller. However, now at least I had someone’s name to connect with the number Ferrie called.

Some nights later I located Miss Asie – now spelled Aasie - in Commission exhibit number 2266. There an F.B.I. report identified her more fully as “JEAN AASE” of Chicago, Illinois. The F.B.I. report, dated December 4, 1963, described how she had accompanied “LAWRENCE V. MEYERS” on a business trip to Dallas, Texas, where they arrived the evening of November 20, 1963 – two days before President Kennedy’s assassination. They checked into the Ramada Motel, the report continued, where they spent the night. On November 21 they moved to the Cabana Motel.

Aase then stated, according to the F.B.I. report, that on the evening of November 21, Meyers took her to the Carousel Club, where he introduced her to Jack Ruby and “the three of them sat at a table near the doorway and chatted.”

Considering that Lee Oswald’s New Orleans friend David Ferrie had called her Chicago number, I wondered if Miss Aase was later curious when Jack Ruby, her partner in casual conversation, killed Oswald three days later.

As I searched through the Warren Commission volumes, my confusion about Jean Aase increased. There had been no index to the testimony volumes to indicate that Jean Asie or Jean Aase existed. As for the exhibit volumes, there was no index to indicate the existence of anyone.

Then, as the F.B.I interview with Lawrence Meyers, I found that she had become Jean West. I looked at the Warren Commission’s discussion of Meyers. From his interview, Meyers certainly appeared to have been a fairly typical, successful, middle-class businessman. His daughter worked for the government nuclear reactor at Argonne, Illinois, and his son was in Army Intelligence. As for Meyers’s friendship with Jack Ruby, they had happened to meet a few years back – and Meyers had grown fond of the future murderer of Lee Oswald. The members of the Warren Commission were evidently satisfied with his testimony. Meyers was never asked whether or not he knew David Ferrie. Nor did he have anything to add about the mysterious Miss Aase.

Miss Aase, or Miss West, or whatever her name was, never appeared before the Warren Commission or gave a deposition to Commission lawyers. I did find a third F.B.I. mention of the mysterious women, this time described as “JEAN WEST,” in the same Commission exhibits volume, but it added no illumination. She was not asked whether she knew David Ferrie or how he could have had access to the very phone number by which Meyers also later reached her. Nor did the report reveal a flicker of curiosity about her pre-assassination chat with Jack Ruby.

The timing of this women’s meeting (along with Lawrence Meyers V. Meyers) with Jack Ruby was provocative enough. However, the constant changing of her name, which would confuse anyone who wanted to know about her, confirmed for me that something about her – or her phone number – was suspicious….

WHILE GARRISION GOES OFF ON A TANGENT ON HOW THIS WAS PROBABLY A CIA “MESSAGE CENTER,” HE DIDN’T KNOW THE HALF OF IT.

For starters, I don’t think David Ferrie can be blamed for all the calls attributed to G. Ray Gill’s office phone, and that Gill himself is not yet a totally innocent bystander.

And while Garrison didn’t have the manpower or the connections to investigate the call, he could have at least sent an investigator to 20 Delaware Avenue, Chicago, and checked out the hotel, apartment and café that’s there.

If he had he would have learned that it was owned for a long time, multi-generations over a half-century, by a White Russian family, and that Jean Aase/West had worked there and lived there in an apartment.

Although originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota, she went to the big city to work and while there, met the traveling businessman Lawrence V. Meyers through the manager of the building, Les Barker. According to Meyers’ testimony to the HSCA, Barker had invested in a business scheme with him that didn’t work out too well, but they didn’t bother to ask what kind of business it was. It was Barker who introduced Meyers to Jean Aase, described as “a dumb but accommodating broad.”

Meyers had reached Aase by calling Barker on the phone, the same number someone in G. Ray Gill’s office had called on September 24, 1963.

While Garrison assumed it was Ferrie who made the call, because that’s what Gill told him, anyone in Gill’s office could have made it; and just because it was Jean Aase who Larry Meyers had called, the phone was also used by Barker, Meyers’ partner in a failed business deal, and others at the hotel, none of whom were identified because there was no official investigation of the whole thing.

In any case, on September 24, 1963 someone from Gill’s office on the 17th floor of the Pere Marquette office building in downtown New Orleans, called the phone at 20 N. Delaware Ave., Chicago, the same number Meyers used to reach Jean Aase.

Meyers and Aase then fly from Chicago to Dallas on November 20, 1963 and stay a night at the airport hotel, and then move to the Cabana Motel on Thursday, November 21. That afternoon Meyers and Aase visited the Carousel Club, where they sat down with Jack Ruby and talked and made arrangements to meet later that evening.

Larry Meyers was very familiar with the Carousel Club and the Cabana, having visited Ruby on previous occasions, and having attended the grand opening party at the Cabana. Meyers was in Dallas in early October when he visited the Dallas State Fair with Ruby, who took him to a show that featured a documentary film “How Hollywood Makes Movies.” The show wasn’t doing so well and Ruby talked Meyers into bankrolling the operation for a few hundred dollars, with Ruby cashing the check. [Was this the failed business that Meyers got Les Barker to invest in?]

The show still went under, and Ruby took in two of the show’s employees, roustabout Larry Craford and Betty McDonald, who worked for Ruby as a dancer (who shouldn’t be confused with the Betty McDonald who worked at the oil company and knew Oswald).

So when Larry Meyers and Jean Aase came to Dallas in late November, Meyers was already familiar with the territory, and stopped in to see Ruby before returning the Cabana.

Although it was a Thursday, Dallas was jumping, as there was Pepsi Cola convention in town and all the hotels were full and the restaurants and nightclubs were busy.

[see: url=http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2008/01/thursday-night-at-cabana-lounge.html]

Larry Meyers’ brother Ed Meyers, was in town because he owned some Pepsi bottling companies in New York, and Pepsi had a party at the Cabana where everyone was to meet that night.

According to the Warren Report, Ruby left his club early and met Larry Meyers at Cabana Mezzanine Lounge, where Ruby also met Larry’s brother Ed and his wife, who had just arrived in Dallas from Mexico, where they had visited their son Ralph Meyers.

Ralph Meyers may have been there himself. Ralph had previously served in the Army Security Agency, had studied the Russian language at the Defense Language Institute at Monterey, and worked as a bus driver in Chicago. He was then living in Mexico, working as a writer and studying the Aztec Indians.

Ruby is said to have had dinner that night with his business partner Ralph Paul, but Paul doesn’t mention this in his testimony, and is never asked about it, and Meyers remembers having a dinner with Ruby but didn’t remember what night it was.

Beverly Oliver, the so-called “Babushka Lady,” says that she accompanied Ruby to the Cabaña, where she danced with Jack Lawrence at the Bon Vivant Room, and then accompanied Ruby and Mr. Meyer to the Egyptian Lounge where Ruby treated Meyers to a steak. While I don’t know if Beverly is the “Babushka Lady” or not, I believe her when she says she accompanied Ruby and Meyers to the Egyptian Lounge because of the details she provides and how it fits in with the known facts. It would also make sense for Ruby to bring a date to a party where he thought Larry Meyers was also accompanied with a date – Jean Aase. However, since Larry was married and his brother and sister-in-law were there, Jean Aase was probably not at the Pepsi party. When she wasn’t accompanying Larry Meyers, Jean Aase spent time with one of the girls who worked at Ruby’s club – Betty McDonald the dancer.

Sometime during their time there, Oliver says that Ruby and Meyers accompanied Joe Campisi, one of the owners of the Egyptian, into a back room office where they made a phone call, and then returned to the table. On the Frontline TV documentary, a Dallas policeman (Joe Cody) says that he too was there when a phone call was made from that back office to New Orleans, to Carlos Marcello, a friend of the Campisis.

On returning to the Cabana, Oliver said she went her own way, to a party in Fort Worth, while Meyers returned to the Pepsi party and Ruby went looking for a “Mr. Martin.”

From either checking in with his bartender at the Carousel Club or from the Matre d’ at the Cabana, Ruby learned that “Mr. Martin” was looking for him, but when Ruby went to the booth in the Bon Vivant Room where Mr. Martin had been, he missed him.

In the same Bon Vivant Room was Jim Braden, who had just changed his name from Eugene Hale Brading, and was in Dallas on oil business with two other guys. All three were in the Bon Vivant Room, as their drinking tabs attest, and may have been there when Beverly Oliver was dancing with Jack Lawrence, and Ruby was there looking for “Mr. Martin.”

The fact that the President was coming to town didn’t seem to be on people’s minds that night, as nobody mentioned it, but the next day the events would over take them and they would all be sucked into the maelstrom.

As soon as the President was shot, Braden’s two pals, after meeting with H.L. Hunt, packed their bags and flew to Houston a day ahead of time.

Braden himself was taken into custody as a suspicious person, getting off the elevator at the Dal Tex building, and after signing a statement, was released. He flew to Houston and caught up with his two oil buddies,

Braden then moved on to New Orleans, where Braden shared office space with oil geologist Vernon Main, Jr., on the 17th floor of the Pere Marquette office building.

Braden got an apartment in New Orleans, and was there the whole summer of 1963, living with his wife and working out of the Pere Marquette office, on the same floor as G. Ray Gill’s office, from where the suspicious phone call originated.

G. Ray Gill was Carlos Marcello’s attorney in the deportation trial that ended on November 22, 1963, a case that David Ferrie was working on when the suspicious phone call was made from his office.

So it comes full circle, from Gill’s office on the 17th floor of the Pere Marquette building in New Orleans to 20 Delaware Ave., Chicago, to Dallas to the Carousel Club and Bon Vivant Room of the Cabana Motel to the Egyptian Lounge and back to the 17th floor of the Pere Marquette in New Orleans.

A string of coincidences.

Note:

When Peter Whitmey (and later Gus Russo) finally caught up with Jean Aase, she denied knowing David Ferrie, but Whitmey (nor Russo) knew anything about the White Russian owners and Les Barker and the management of 20 N. Delaware, Chicago.

Whitmey also chased down Larry Crafard and learned that he had just got out of the army, and was stationed in Germany.

Cynthia Ann McDonald reports that her mother Joy Dale, is not dead, as previously reported, and is alive and well and living in North Dallas as seen on the History Channel.

Edited by William Kelly

This might be the same building where Phyllis Schlafly operated her Pere Marquette Press and the Pere Marquette

publishers which moved to Illinois in later years. Who were the White Russian owners there, Bill? Her press published

all the Star Wars propaganda books like "Strike from Space", "Grave Diggers" and "Safe Not Sorry". Interesting, huh?

She was a John Bircher and one of those who loved Cardinal Mindszenty so much that she started the "Cardinal

Mindszenty Foundation" which still exists today. They warn about the dangers of... the critical importance of...

the threats from... and the effects of... the "Brainwashing Campaign" undergone by the good Cardinal from Hungary.

Edward Hunter wrote his book "Brainwashing" a few years after Mindszenty got that special treatment.

Phyllis Stewart Schlafly

Phyllis Schlafly in 2007

Born August 15, 1924 (1924-08-15) (age 84)

Flag of the United States St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.[1]

Occupation Political activist

Religious beliefs Roman Catholic

Spouse(s) John Fred Schlafly, Jr. (deceased)

Children John, Bruce, Roger, Liza, Andrew, Anne

Phyllis McAlpin Stewart Schlafly (b. August 15, 1924, in St. Louis, Missouri; pronounced /ˈfɪlɪs ˈʃlæfli/) is an American conservative political activist and constitutional attorney known for her opposition to feminism and the Equal Rights Amendment. Her bestselling book, A Choice, Not An Echo, was published in 1964 from her home in Alton, Illinois, across the Mississippi River from her native St. Louis. From this self-publication, she formed her Pere Marquette Publishers company. A Choice, Not an Echo decries the power of the "Eastern Establishment" in the Republican Party once exercised by New York Governors Thomas E. Dewey and Nelson A. Rockefeller. Schlafly supported U.S. Senator Barry M. Goldwater in his unsuccessful race against President Lyndon B. Johnson. She has co-authored several books on national defense and was highly critical of arms-control agreements with the former Soviet Union.[2]

Schlafly also maintains an active presence on the lecture circuit. In 1972, she founded the Eagle Forum, and was the founder and president of a sister organization known as the Eagle Forum Education & Legal Defense Fund, which also operates in the Eagle Forum's St. Louis office. As of 2009[update], she is still the president of both organizations. Since 1967, she has published her own political newsletter, the Phyllis Schlafly Report.

Contents

[hide]

* 1 Family background

* 2 Early life

* 3 Activism

o 3.1 "Stop ERA"

o 3.2 Recent Activities

* 4 Viewpoints

o 4.1 Opposition to the UN, WTO, and arms control

o 4.2 Politics

o 4.3 Women's issues

* 5 Personal life

* 6 Honorary degree protests

* 7 Bibliography

* 8 Notes

* 9 References

* 10 External links

[edit] Family background

Schlafly's great-grandfather Stewart, a Presbyterian, came from Scotland to New York, in 1851, and moved westward through Canada before settling in Michigan.[3] Her grandfather, Andrew F. Stewart, was a successful master mechanic with the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway.[4] Schlafly's father, John Bruce Stewart, was a machinist and salesman of industrial equipment, principally for Westinghouse. He became unemployed in 1932 during the Great Depression and could not find permanent work until World War II.[5] He was granted a patent in 1944 for a rotary engine.[6]

Schlafly's mother, Odile Dodge, was the daughter of the moderately successful attorney Ernest C. Dodge. Odile attended college through graduate school and, before her marriage, worked as a teacher at Hosmer Hall, a private school for girls in St. Louis.[7] With her father’s legal business suffering during the Great Depression and her husband out of work, Odile worked as a librarian and a school teacher to support both families.

John Fred Schlafly, Jr., came from a well-to-do St. Louis family. His grandfather, August, immigrated in 1854 from Switzerland as a child. Shortly after August’s arrival, his father died and the family resettled in Carlyle, Illinois. There August and two brothers worked as clerks in a local grocery store. In 1876, August’s older brother married Catharine Hubert, the daughter of a successful local businessman.[8] Shortly thereafter, the three brothers founded the firm of Schlafly Bros., which dealt in groceries, Queensware (dishes made by Wedgwood), hardware, and agricultural implements.[9] They later sold that business and concentrated on banking and other businesses that made them wealthy.[6]

[edit] Early life

Schlafly was christened Phyllis McAlpin Stewart and brought up as a Roman Catholic in St. Louis. According to one report, during the Depression, Schlafly's father went into long-term unemployment, and her mother entered the labor market. Mrs. Stewart was able to keep the family afloat and maintained Phyllis in a Catholic girls' school.[10] In one of her books, Strike From Space (1965), Schlafly notes that she was at one time, "a ballistics gunner and technician at the largest ammunition plant in the world."

She began college early and worked as a model for a time. She earned her A.B. Phi Beta Kappa from Washington University, in St. Louis, in 1944, at age 19. She received a Master of Arts degree, in Government, from Radcliffe College, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1945. In 1978, she earned a J.D. from Washington University Law School in St. Louis.[5]

In 1952, Schlafly ran unsuccessfully for Congress as a Republican in a Democratic district. It was another decade, however, before she came to national attention with A Choice, Not an Echo, millions of copies of which were distributed in support of Goldwater's 1964 presidential campaign. In it, Schlafly denounced the Rockefeller Republicans in the Northeast, accusing them of corruption and globalism. Critics called the book a conspiracy theory about "secret kingmakers" controlling the Republican Party.[11] Schlafly attended the 1960 Republican National Convention, and helped lead a revolt of moral conservatives against Richard Nixon's stance on a change to a civil rights plank.[12]

In 1967, Schlafly lost her bid for the presidency of the National Federation of Republican Women after a vigorous campaign against the more moderate candidate Gladys O'Donnell of California. Outgoing NFRW president and future United States Treasurer Dorothy Elston of Delaware worked against Schlafly in the campaign.[13]

She joined the John Birch Society, but quit because she thought that the main Communist threats to the nation were external, rather than internal. In 1970, Schlafly again ran unsuccessfully for a House of Representatives seat in Illinois, losing to Democratic incumbent George E. Shipley.

[edit] Activism

[edit] "Stop ERA"

Schlafly became the most visible and effective opponent of the Equal Rights Amendment during the 1970s as the organizer of the "Stop the ERA" movement, widely credited with stopping it from achieving ratification by its legislative deadline. "STOP" is also an acronym for "Stop Taking our Privileges", because Schlafly argues the amendment, if passed and ratified, would take away privileges enjoyed by American women, including "dependent wife" benefits under Social Security and exemption from Selective Service registration.[14]

By the time Schlafly began campaigning in 1972, the amendment had already been ratified by 30 of the necessary 38 states. However, Schlafly was successful in organizing a grassroots campaign to oppose further states' ratifications. Five more states ratified ERA after Schlafly launched her opposition campaign, though an additional five state legislatures voted to rescind their ratifications. The last state to ratify was Indiana, where then State Senator Wayne Townsend, a Democrat, cast the tie-breaking vote for ratification in January 1977. In opposing ERA, Schlafly argued that "the ERA would lead to women being drafted by the military and to public unisex bathrooms."[15] Her views were opposed by Pro-ERA groups, led by the National Organization for Women (NOW) and the ERAmerica coalition.[16] The amendment was narrowly defeated, despite having achieved ratification in 35 states.[5]

Supporters of Schlafly argue that some of her claims have been confirmed by later state court rulings.[17] Her arguments against the ERA included her opposition to including women in the military draft. In 1981, a highly publicized lawsuit attempted to end the all-male selective service system, claiming it encouraged gender discrimination. In the absence of the ERA, the Supreme Court held by a 6-3 margin that Congress could register only men for military service. (Rostker v. Goldberg, 453 U.S. 57, 1981). Another case often cited by Schlafly supporters is the Harris v. McRae decision of 1980, in which, by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court held that Congress could provide funding for childbirth but not for abortion (Harris v. McRae, 448 U.S. 297, 1980).

Critics of Schlafly have emphasized an apparent contradiction between her advocacy against the ERA and her role as a working professional. Feminist activist Gloria Steinem and author Pia de Solenni, among others, have noted what they consider irony in Schlafly's role as an advocate for the full-time mother and wife, while being herself a lawyer, editor of a monthly newsletter, regular speaker at anti-liberal rallies, and political activist.[18][19][20] In her review of Schlafly's Feminist Fantasies, de Solenni writes that "Schlafly's discussion reveals a paradox. She was able to have it all: family and career. And she did it by fighting those who said they were trying to get it all for her... Happiness resulted from being a wife and mother and working with her husband to reach their goals." Schlafly has also been accused of racism, due to her opposition of racial integration in the 1960s and for a contempt of Jewish people.[21]

On August 27, 1974, activist attorney Florynce Kennedy appeared on CBS radio in Miami to promote ratification of the stalled Equal Rights Amendment. During the conversation Kennedy denounced Schlafly as a "pigocrat. . . I just don't see why some people don't hit Phyllis Schlafly in the mouth. I don't think she would be damaged seriously, but I don't think it would hurt if somebody slapped her. We're arguing with people like Schlafly who obviously aren't speaking from a rational perspective. Instead of so much argument, people should slap." Similarly, author Harlan Ellison, another ERA booster, said that if Schlafly walked into the headlights of his car, he would "knock her into the next time zone." Ellison proclaimed Schlafly a "mischievous woman who does terrible things."[22]

To counter Schlafly's Stop ERA campaign and the homemakers against ERA, the organization Homemakers' Equal Rights Association was formed.[citation needed]

According to an article in the March 28, 2007 edition of the Washington Post, "New Drive Afoot to Pass Equal Rights Amendment," Schlafly is working towards the defeat of a new version of the Equal Rights Amendment: "Today, she warns lawmakers that its passage would compel courts to approve same-sex marriages and deny Social Security benefits for housewives and widows."[15]

[edit] Recent Activities

Schlafly has been an outspoken critic of "activist judges," particularly on the Supreme Court. In 2005, Schlafly made headlines at a conference for the Judeo-Christian Council for Constitutional Restoration by suggesting that "Congress ought to talk about impeachment" of Justice Anthony Kennedy, citing as specific grounds Justice Kennedy's deciding vote to abolish the death penalty for minors. [23]

In late 2006, Schlafly collaborated with Jerome Corsi and Howard Phillips to create a website in opposition to the idea of a "North American Union", under which the United States, Mexico, and Canada would share a currency and be integrated in a structure similar to the European Union.[24]

[edit] Viewpoints

[edit] Opposition to the UN, WTO, and arms control

As a college student in 1945, Schlafly applauded the establishment of the United Nations. Over the years, however, she has long repudiated the UN. On the 50th anniversary of the group in 1995, Schlafly referred to "a cause for mourning, not celebration. It is a monument to foolish hopes, embarrassing compromises, betrayal of our servicemen, and a steady stream of insults to our nation. It is a Trojan Horse that carries the enemy into our midst and lures Americans to ride under alien insignia to fight and die in faraway lands." Accordingly, she opposed U.S. President Bill Clinton's decision in 1996 to send 20,000 American troops to Bosnia. Schlafly noted that Balkan nations have fought one another for 500 years and that the U.S. military should not be "policemen" of world trouble spots.[25]

In 1961 she wrote that arms control "will not stop Red aggression any more than disarming our local police will stop murder, theft, and rape."[26]

Prior to the 1994 congressional elections, Schlafly condemned globalization through the World Trade Organization as a "direct attack on American sovereignty, independence, jobs, and economy . . . any country that must change its laws to obey rulings of a world organization has sacrificed its sovereignty."[27]

[edit] Politics

Schlafly continues to exert some influence within the Republican Party. She played a key role in writing some socially conservative language in the Republican National Convention's platform, most recently in 2004.

However, Schlafly has expressed dissatisfaction with the modern GOP. Though she has not been actively involved in the neoconservative/paleoconservative schism, her positions on many issues resemble those of a paleoconservative. Like Patrick J. Buchanan, whom she supported for the 1996 GOP nomination, she contends that President George W. Bush

"has muddied up the meaning of conservative." Schlafly writes, "Bush ran as a conservative, but he has been steadily (some might say stealthily) trying to remold the conservative movement and the Republican Party into the Bush Party. And the Bush Party stands for so many things alien to conservatism, namely, war as an instrument of foreign policy, nation-building overseas, highly concentrated executive power, federal control of education, big increases in social entitlements, massive increases in legal and illegal immigration, forcing American workers to compete with low-wage foreigners (under deceptive enticements such as free trade and global economy), and subordinating U.S. sovereignty to a North American community with open borders."

However, despite such criticisms, the Eagle Forum defended the Party before the 2006 elections: "We cannot let our dissatisfaction and disappointment with some members of the Republican Party keep us from voting for the good guys — the ones who really are leaders for the conservative cause."[28]

Schlafly did not endorse a candidate for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination, but she has spoken out against Mike Huckabee, who she says as governor left the Republican Party in Arkansas "in shambles". She has hosted at the Eagle Forum U.S. Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado, known for his opposition to illegal immigration. Before his election she criticised Barack Obama as "an elitist who worked with words" [29]

[edit] Women's issues

Schlafly told Time magazine in 1978, "I have canceled speeches whenever my husband thought that I had been away from home too much."[30] She also said, "By getting married, the woman has consented to sex, and I don't think you can call it rape."[31] On March 30, 2006, Schlafly provided an interview for The New York Times in which she attributed improvement in women's lives during the last decades of the 20th Century to labor-saving devices such as the indoor clothes dryer and paper diapers.[32]

[edit] Personal life

She was married to attorney John Fred Schlafly, Jr., (1909–1993) for 44 years until his death. They had six children: John, Bruce, Roger, Liza, Andrew, and Anne.

In 1992, Schlafly's eldest son, John, was outed as gay by Queer Week magazine.[33][34] Schlafly has declined to comment on the matter in interviews. Her son Andrew has been noted for founding Conservapedia, a conservative open-source encyclopedia project that he founded over his concerns that Wikipedia had liberal bias.[35]

[edit] Honorary degree protests

On May 1, 2008, the Board of Trustees of Washington University in St. Louis announced that Schlafly would be presented an honorary degree at the school's 2008 commencement ceremony. This was immediately met with objection by some students and faculty at the university who accused her of being anti-feminist and criticized her work on defeating the equal rights amendment.[36] Fourteen university law professors wrote in a complaint letter that Schlafly's career demonstrated "anti-intellectualism in pursuit of a political agenda."[37] While the Board of Trustees' honorary degree committee approved the honorees unanimously, five student members of the committee wrote to complain that they had to vote on the five honorees as a slate, in the final stage of the voting and feel the selection of Schlafly was a mistake.[38][39] Katha Pollitt of The Nation magazine criticized this decision because she considered Schlafly a "promoter of innumerable crackpot far-right conspiracy theories" and opponent of women's rights.[40]

In the days leading up to the commencement ceremony, Washington University Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton explained the university’s Board of Trustees' decision to award Schlafly’s degree with the following statement:

“ In bestowing this degree, the University is not endorsing Mrs. Schlafly's views or opinions; rather, it is recognizing an alumna of the University whose life and work have had a broad impact on American life and have sparked widespread debate and controversies that in many cases have helped people better formulate and articulate their own views about the values they hold.[41] ”

At the May 16, 2008, commencement ceremony, Schlafly was awarded a Doctor of Humane Letters degree. A protest to rescind Schlafly's honorary degree received support from faculty and students. During the ceremony, hundreds of the 14,000 attendees, including one-third the graduating students and some faculty, silently stood and turned their backs to Schlafly in protest.[38][42] In the days leading up to the commencement there were several protests regarding her degree award; Schlafly described these protesters as, "a bunch of losers."[43] In addition, she stated after the ceremony that the protesters were "juvenile" and that, "I'm not sure they're mature enough to graduate."[42] As planned, Schlafly did not give any speech during the commencement ceremony, nor did any of the other honorees except for commencement speaker Chris Matthews.[44]

[edit] Bibliography

Schlafly is the author of 21 books on subjects ranging from child care to phonics education. She currently writes a weekly syndicated column that appears in over one hundred newspapers.[45]

Schlafly's published works include:

* Judicial Tyranny: The New Kings of America? - contributing author (Amerisearch, 2005) ISBN 0-9753455-6-7

* The Supremacists: The Tyranny Of Judges And How To Stop It (Spence Publishing Company, 2004) ISBN 1-890626-55-4

* Feminist Fantasies, foreword by Ann Coulter (Spence Publishing Company, 2003) ISBN 1-890626-46-5

* Turbo Reader (Pere Marquette Press, 2001) ISBN 0-934640-16-5

* First Reader (Pere Marquette Press, 1994) ISBN 0-934640-24-6

* Pornography's Victims (Crossway Books, 1987) ISBN 0-89107-423-6

* Child Abuse in the Classroom (Crossway Books, 1984) ISBN 0-89107-365-5

* Equal Pay for UNequal Work (Eagle Forum, 1984) ISBN 99950-3-143-4

* The End of an Era (Regnery Publishing, 1982) ISBN 0-89526-659-8

* The Power of the Christian Woman (Standard Pub, 1981) ISBN B0006E4X12

* The Power of the Positive Woman (Crown Pub, 1977) ISBN 0-87000-373-9

* Ambush at Vladivostok, with Chester Ward (Pere Marquette Press, 1976) ISBN 0-934640-00-9

* Kissinger on the Couch (Arlington House Publishers, 1974) ISBN 0-87000-216-3

* Mindszenty the Man (with Josef Vecsey) (Cardinal Mindszenty Foundation, 1972) ISBN B00005WGD6

* The Betrayers (Pere Marquette Press, 1968) ISBN B0006CY0CQ

* Safe Not Sorry (Pere Marquette Press, 1967) ISBN 0-934640-06-8

* Strike From Space: A Megadeath Mystery (Pere Marquette Press, 1965) ISBN 80-7507-634-6

* Grave Diggers (with Chester Ward) (Pere Marquette Press, 1964) ISBN 0-934640-03-3

* A Choice Not An Echo (Pere Marquette Press, 1964) ISBN 0-686-11486-8

[edit] Notes

1. ^ "Phyllis Schlafly". UXL Newsmakers. FindArticles.com. 2005. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_gx52...ag=artBody;col1. Retrieved on 2008-08-09.

2. ^ Chip Berlet and Matthew N. Lyons. 2000. Right–Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort. New York: Guilford Press, p. 202.

3. ^ profile of Andrew F. Stewart, in Men of West Virginia, Biographical Publishing Co., Chicago: 1903. pp. 157-158.

4. ^ 1902-03 City Directory, Huntington, WV and 1910 Federal Census (Virginia), Alleghany County, Clifton Forge, ED126, Sheet 9A and note 1.

5. ^ a b c Critchlow, Donald. "Founding Mother-Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism: A Woman's Crusade." Princeton University Press. pp. 422

6. ^ a b Felsenthal biography

7. ^ 1919 Gould’s St. Louis City Directory

8. ^ 1870 Federal Census ( Illinois) Clinton Co. Carlyle, Series: M593 Roll: 196 Page: 265

9. ^ The 1881 History of Marion & Clinton Counties, Illinois

10. ^ Ehrenreich, pp. 152-153

11. ^ Berlet and Lyons. 2000. Right–Wing Populism in America, pp. 180, 202.

12. ^ http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/books/re...t=cse&scp=1

13. ^ Anti-ERA Evangelist Wins Again; Donald T. Critchlow, Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism (Princeton University Press, 2005), p. 138-159.

14. ^ Kolbert, Elizabeth. "Firebrand: Phyllis Schlafly and the Conservative Revolution." The New Yorker. Nov 7, 2005. pp. 134.

15. ^ a b New Drive Afoot to Pass Equal Rights Amendment - washingtonpost.com

16. ^ History

17. ^ Phyllis Schlafly Was Right, NRO: Her Predictions While Fighting The ERA Are Still Accurate - CBS News

18. ^ Gloria Steinem: If Bush Wins in 2004, "Abortion Will Be Criminalized" - A BuzzFlash Interview

19. ^ Pia de Solenni on Phyllis Schlafly & Feminist Fantasies on National Review Online

20. ^ Anti-ERA Evangelist Wins Again - TIME

21. ^ http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/books/re...t=cse&scp=1

22. ^ Donald T. Critchlow, Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, 2005, p. 253

23. ^ Dana Milbank, "And the Verdict on Justice Kennedy Is: Guilty", Washington Post, April 9, 2005, p. A03.

24. ^ Bennett, Drake (2007-11-25). "The amero conspiracy". The Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/ar...racy/?page=full. Retrieved on 2009-02-20.

25. ^ Donald T. Critchlow, Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, 2005, pp. 298-299

26. ^ Phyllis Schlafly, "Communist Master Plan for 1961", Cardinal Mindszenty Newsletter, February 15, 1961

27. ^ Donald T. Critchlow, Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism, 2005, p. 298

28. ^ Eagle Forum (2006-10-27). "Mid-term Elections Are Just Around The Corner". http://www.eagleforum.org/alert/2006/10-24-06.html. Retrieved on 2007-03-30.

29. ^ Sam Leith, "Man of his words" Financial Times January 17-18 2009

30. ^ "Anti-ERA Evangelist Wins Again". Time. 1978-07-03. http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,945990,00.html. Retrieved on 2009-02-21.

31. ^ Leonard, J.T. (2007-03-29). "Schlafly cranks up agitation at Bates". Sun Journal. http://www.sunjournal.com/story/205234-3/L...ation_at_Bates/. Retrieved on 2009-02-21.

32. ^ Bellafante, Ginia (2006-03-30). "A Feminine Mystique All Her Own". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/30/garden/3...;pagewanted=all. Retrieved on 2008-01-31.

33. ^ At 80, Schlafly is still a conservative force - The Boston Globe

34. ^ The gay vice squad - QW's outing article about homosexuality of John Schlafly, son of pro-life advocate Phyllis Schlafly - Editorial

35. ^ Rightwing website challenges 'liberal bias' of Wikipedia, The Guardian, 1 March 2007

36. ^ "Wash-U chancellor apologizes for controversy, but Schlafly will still get honorary degree". http://publicbroadcasting.net/kwmu/news.ne...amp;sectionID=1. Retrieved on 2008-05-16.

37. ^ "Phyllis Schlafly Hon. Degree Sparks Wash U Spat, Law Prof Protest". UPI. http://abajournal.com/news/phyllis_schlafl...prof_protests//. Retrieved on 2008-07-25.

38. ^ a b "Students, faculty protest Schlafly honor". UPI. http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008...fly_honor/2016/. Retrieved on 2008-05-16.

39. ^ Brian Leiter's Law School Reports: Wash U Alumni Create Website to Oppose Award of Honorary Degree to Schafly

40. ^ Pollitt, Katha (2008-05-08). "Backlash Spectacular". The nation. http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080526/pollitt. Retrieved on 2009-02-20.

41. ^ http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/623432.html "Statement on Phyllis Schlafly's honorary degree". http://news-info.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/11789.html http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/623432.html. Retrieved on 2008-05-14.

42. ^ a b Kavita Kumar (05-17-2008). "Schlafly honored — and dishonored". St. Louis Post Dispatch. http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...14?OpenDocument. Retrieved on 2008-05-18.

43. ^ "Wash-U chancellor apologizes for controversy, but Schlafly will still get honorary degree". http://publicbroadcasting.net/kwmu/news.ne...amp;sectionID=1.

44. ^ "Students, faculty protest Schlafly at commencement". UPI. http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/623432.html. Retrieved on 2008-05-18.

45. ^ Schlafly, Phyllis (2006-08-26). "What is Left? What is Right? Does it Matter?". The American Conservative. http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_08_28/cover.html. Retrieved on 2007-03-30.

[edit] References

* Critchlow, Donald T. Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism: A Woman's Crusade Princeton University Press, 2005. 422 pp. ISBN 0-691-07002-4.

* Ehrenreich, Barbara. 1983. The Hearts of Men: American Dreams and the Flight from Commitment. New York: Anchor Books.

* Felsenthal, Carol. The Biography of Phyllis Schlafly: The Sweetheart of the Silent Majority Doubleday & Co., 1981. 337pp. ISBN 0-89526-873-6.

* Kolbert, Elizabeth. "Firebrand: Phyllis Schlafly and the Conservative Revolution." The New Yorker. Nov 7, 2005. pp. 134.

[edit] External links

Sister project Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Phyllis Schlafly

* Phyllis Schlafly official site

* Eagle Forum official site

* Conservatives' first lady sparked pro-family effort

* Review: 'Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism: A Woman's Crusade,' (by Donald T. Critchlow)

* First Chapter: 'Phyllis Schlafly and Grassroots Conservatism' (by Donald T. Crichtlow)

* Article on Phyllis Schlafly from September 2, 2004 Boston Globe

* Phyllis Schlafly speaks about feminism at Mount Holyoke College

* Domestic violence law abuses rights of men - by Phyllis Schlafly

* Phyllis Schlafly Collection (1972-1982) in the Western Historical Manuscript Collection, University of Missouri-St. Louis

and

Edited by Peter Lemkin

In another post Tom quotes A. J. Weberman on the anti-Castro Cuban training camps.

I usually like A. J. and his research and style, but on this case, A.J. says that McLaney lent the property at LaCombe to a Cuban, "Jose Marti," which is clearly not true and this must be a joke.

The person McLaney says used the property was "Jose Juraz," who is listed in the index of Howard Weisberg's book Oswald in New Orleans, and I think Bill Turner mentions him.

There's also two docs 124-10260-10194 and 124-109060-7437 that don't seem to be available.

Now they say the property used for the training camp was owned by De la Barre, who Tom points out, maintained offices at the Pere Marquette, on the 7th floor, ten floors below G. Ray Gill's law office and Vernon Main, Jr.'s oil company office that Jim Braden used in the summer of '63.

Peter Whitmey also notes that Lem Schert? - attorney for Oswald's mother, also had law office at Pere Marquette, quite a crossroads of conspiracy.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/whitmeysehrt.htm

BK

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...t=0#entry167847

Tom Quote:

"Through his business connections and his anti-Castro activities, Davis became acquainted with members of the John Birch Society at New Orleans. With the assistance of John Birch Society members, Davis set up a training site for exiled Cubans on the DeLeBarre estate, LaCombe, Louisiana, which is near New Orleans...Davis emphatically denied any association between the cache of bombs and his training camp. It is Davis' understanding, a gambler who formerly had ties in Cuba and Las Vegas, was responsible for the bomb cache."

Tom wrote: Now! Anyone who has "been there", would immediately associate the "name recognition" and importance of this information.

And, since I long ago "pointed" to this road, might I take the time (for those who missed it, to again point out the importance of this turn in the road which one should take the time to follow).

Charter/Organization ID: 03300690N

Name: THE POLITICAL LEAGUE

Type Entity: Non-Profit Corporation

2009 Annual Report/Reinstatement form is required in order to reinstate Print Annual Report/Reinstatement Form For Filing

Mailing Address: 710 PERE MARQUETTE, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112

Domicile Address: 710 PERE MARQUETTE, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112

File Date: 02/04/1963

Registered Agent (Appointed 2/04/1963): HUBERT J. BADEAUX, 8241 HICKORY ST, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70118

Registered Agent (Appointed 2/04/1963): F. D. V. DE LA BARRE, 4122 PITT ST, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70115

===============================================================================

Charter/Organization ID: 26303000D

Name: GUATEMALA LUMBER & MINERAL CORPORATION

Type Entity: Business Corporation

Mailing Address: 710 PERE MARQUETTE, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112

Domicile Address: 710 PERE MARQUETTE, NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112

Edited by William Kelly

• 1 year later...

I think the big interest in Jean Aase has always been the idea that David Ferrie by virtue of his phone call to the Delaware Towers building, and Lawrence Meyers connection to Jack Ruby, provided a linkage, as in baseball parlance regarding double plays, Meyers to Ferrie to Ruby.

In Ultimate Sacrifice, Waldron and Hartmann, cite the David Ferrie/Jean Aase issue.

I have never heard a description of the conversation. Anyone else?

I do know that Waldron mentions thatJean Aase seemed relieved that Meyers had died.

The fact that the Delaware Towers were owned by a White Russian seems to make the topic a little more interesting.

Quick! Name a White Russian besides, George DeMohrenschildt, how about Colonel Boris Pash, just trying to make a point.

In case of a memory lapse regarding Jean Aase

On 11/20/63, 9:09 A.M., a call to her phone from Kansas City, MO. Charged to Ero Mfg. Co. Aase went to Dallas 11/21/63 to join Lawrence V. Meyers (of Ero). They were with Jack Ruby that night. 9/24/63 a call to Aase's number in Chicago was charged to Atty. G. Wray Gil's phone in New Orleans, (504) 524-0147. Gil said David Ferrie made the call. In 1992, Peter Whitmey reached her by phone in Minneapolis. Her name is pronounced AH'-SEE...

Jerry Shinley once wrote the following

Here's something else to consider about the call on G. Wray Gill's phone bill made to Chicago on September 24, 1963:

John Davis. Mafia Kingfish. McGraw Hill, 1989 p. 173

"And so, on Monday, November 18, 1963, the last week of the Carlos Marcello trial began. Through the week crucial testimony was heard from three witnesses for the defense.

...And Mrs. Yvonne Klein, a Wilmette, Illinois, building contractor, testified that Carl I. Noll , the chief witness against Marcello,] had swindled $50,000 out of her......"

Here's a description of Wilmette:

http://www.wilmette....l#anchor1032916

The Village of Wilmette is located approximately 16 miles north of downtown Chicago. Wilmette is a progressive community known for its beautiful lakefront, diverse architecture, tree lined streets, well maintained parks and excellent public and private schools. It is a community committed to its history, preserving its brick streets and old fashioned street lights. The Village extends approximately five miles west from Lake Michigan and is approximately one mile wide. Its municipal neighbors include Evanston and Skokie to the south, Glenview to the west and Kenilworth and Northfield to the north.

Since G. Wray Gill was one of Marcello's lawyers at his November, 1963, trial, and since one of the defense witnesses at that trial came from the Chicago-area, how can anyone say that Gill's office had no business in Chicago? Someone must have sent investigators or lawyers up there to develop this witness' story.

Jerry Shinley

Robert: There are other interesting items regarding Aase; when her name name was noticed by researchers, the WC had spelled her name Aise,

Jean Aase is said to have hung out at the Carousel Club while in town that weekend, it might me worth mentioning that of the very first two post assassination incidents

[the first being the non-fatal shooting of Warren Reynolds], the second was the death of Betty McDonald. It is in the realm of possibility that she may have spoke with Aase regarding some knowledge of certain things that made her a liability, and would account for the not-so funny spelling of Aase' name.

As mentioned by Gary Richard Schoener, see A Legacy of Fear

http://spot.acorn.ne...Issue/fear.html

"But the story is not over. Darrell Wayne Garner, the "prime suspect" arrested after the shooting of Reynolds, was released on the strength of an alibi provided by his girlfriend, Nancy Jane Mooney, alias Betty McDonald. Ms. Mooney had worked as a stripper at Jack Ruby's Carousel Club. Eight days after providing an alibi for Garner, Ms. Mooney was herself arrested. The charge was "disturbing the peace." She had allegedly been fighting with her roommate on a street corner, although the roommate was not arrested. Two hours later she was dead, allegedly having hung herself in her jail cell. Several years later Mr. Garner was located by independent investigators and denied shooting Reynolds but admitted knowing a number of the principal figures in the case and gave a good deal of information to independent investigators. He was buried in Dallas on January 24, 1970, allegedly the victim of a heroin overdose, his role in this whole affair still pretty unclear."

Robert: Betty McDonald WAS listed as a suicide but there were cracks in the story; for instance her roommate mentioned her bouts with depression, but no prior history of suicide attempts was proven, and the WC didn't even bother to consider the possibility that there was anything suspicious about her death....

Regarding Bill Kelly's post "Although originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota, she [Aase] went to the big city to work and while there, met the traveling businessman Lawrence V. Meyers through the manager of the building, Les Barker. According to Meyers' testimony to the HSCA, Barker had invested in a business scheme with him that didn't work out too well, but they didn't bother to ask what kind of business it was. It was Barker who introduced Meyers to Jean Aase, described as "a dumb but accommodating broad."

On returning to the Cabana, Oliver said she went her own way, to a party in Fort Worth, while Meyers returned to the Pepsi party and Ruby went looking for a "Mr. Martin."

From either checking in with his bartender at the Carousel Club or from the Matre d' at the Cabana, Ruby learned that "Mr. Martin" was looking for him, but when Ruby went to the booth in the Bon Vivant Room where Mr. Martin had been, he missed him.

I believe the reference to Mr Martin is even more of a story, a John or Juan Martin was interviewed by the FBI's James Hosty, an interview consisting of 3 or 4 sentences; leading some to believe "Juan Martin" may not have even existed, but could have been John Martino or even Jack F Martin.

Where matters become even more interesting is that there are several documents at NARA listed as Postponed in Full, regarding 1040 Forms and George Gill, it is difficult to know for absolute sure, but it might be interesting to know that the "G" in G Wray Gill does stand for George.

If one does a search under NARA under Gill, it pulls up some 100 odd hits, including the Postponed in Full docs referenced, David Ferrie's Grievance Hearings regarding his

American Airlines situation are dated circa June 1963......all in all I would say this is a fairly interesting angle.

Edited by Robert Howard

• 2 years later...

Lawrence Meyers, David Ferrie and Jean Aase & Delaware Towers

seems there is more to the story......

I am sure we all remember.........
A link between alleged assassination conspirators David Ferrie and Jack Ruby?
Phone Factoid: Tortured Connection
by Dave Reitzes
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/factoid.htm
Did Jean Aase receive the call?
Despite whatever Jim Garrison or G. Robert Blakey may claim, the telephone number in question, WH 4-4970, was not Jean Aase's phone number. Dialing WH 4-4970 connected one to the main desk of the apartment building at 20 East Delaware Street, the Chicago building where Aase lived in Room 1405 in 1963.(19) There were 146 apartments at Delaware Towers, plus an unknown number of telephone extensions for employees.(20)

Now read the following....

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Central Intelligence Agency/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm)/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm - reel 54: Maheu - Merola, Cobb, Ramon)/
NARA Record Number: 104-10219-10255
CI PROJECT - WATCH LIST/ZRGRACE IDENTITIES FOR INCLUSION IN PROJECT COVERAGE - REVISED
https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=48447
https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=48447&relPageId=5
BENNETT, Prof. Blair M. - Former Supervisor
and listed reference of above, also in contact with, if not
co-worker of Prof. Josephine UNGE, nee McBroom

BENELLO, Charles George - former Navy buddy and ex-business partner
aka BENELLO George Charles of above while in Japan
aka BENELLO C. George
address: 1607 Milmia Street, Berkley 9, California (as of 1960)
c/o Katherine LYTTON aka Katherine BENELLO, Delaware Towers Apt. Hotel
25 Kent, Delaware Place, Chicago Illinois

Although the above is just a portion of the document, Delaware Towers seems to have had some overtones of being a very strange place back in that day. Suffice to say the above document would have been nice to know about when this thread first started....

Edited by Robert Howard

Lawrence Meyers, David Ferrie and Jean Aase & Delaware Towers

seems there is more to the story......

I am sure we all remember.........

A link between alleged assassination conspirators David Ferrie and Jack Ruby?

Phone Factoid: Tortured Connection

by Dave Reitzes

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/factoid.htm

Did Jean Aase receive the call?

Despite whatever Jim Garrison or G. Robert Blakey may claim, the telephone number in question, WH 4-4970, was not Jean Aase's phone number. Dialing WH 4-4970 connected one to the main desk of the apartment building at 20 East Delaware Street, the Chicago building where Aase lived in Room 1405 in 1963.(19) There were 146 apartments at Delaware Towers, plus an unknown number of telephone extensions for employees.(20)

Now read the following....

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Central Intelligence Agency/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm)/HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm - reel 54: Maheu - Merola, Cobb, Ramon)/

NARA Record Number: 104-10219-10255

CI PROJECT - WATCH LIST/ZRGRACE IDENTITIES FOR INCLUSION IN PROJECT COVERAGE - REVISED

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=48447

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=48447&relPageId=5

BENNETT, Prof. Blair M. - Former Supervisor

and listed reference of above, also in contact with, if not

co-worker of Prof. Josephine UNGE, nee McBroom

BENELLO, Charles George - former Navy buddy and ex-business partner

aka BENELLO George Charles of above while in Japan

aka BENELLO C. George

address: 1607 Milmia Street, Berkley 9, California (as of 1960)

c/o Katherine LYTTON aka Katherine BENELLO, Delaware Towers Apt. Hotel

25 Kent, Delaware Place, Chicago Illinois

Although the above is just a portion of the document, Delaware Towers seems to have had some overtones of being a very strange place back in that day. Suffice to say the above document would have been nice to know about when this thread first started....

Thanks for that one Robert,

I think that G. Ray Gill is just as suspicious as Ferrie, and that we should have a look at all of his phone records - which is hard evidence, and thanks for mentioning David Reitzes' bogus attempt to down grade the significance of the Sept. 24, phone call from Gill's office to the Delaware Ave. hotel in Chicago, as the 50th anniversary of that epic day came and went without notice.

As the day Oswald left New Orelans for Mexico City, it is also the day JFK signed the Arms treaty with USSR and left on his Conservation tour, beginning with a visit to Mary Pinchot Meyers mom in Pennsylvania.

It's also the day that the Joint Chiefs of Staff were temporarily chaired by Gen. Lemay while Gen. Taylor was in Vietnam, and they were briefed by FitzGerald on the need for military support for certain CIA Cuban maritime operations, a task given to Gen. Krulak. It was at this meeting that the Joint Chiefs were first told of the plan being developed to depose Castro based on the July 44 attack on Hitler - the Valkyrie plot.

The Combined Chronology for September 24th 1963 certainly indicates that a lot of interesting things were going on and decisions made that day.